Protein after Weight training

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  smotfi1 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi my name is Jason.

I have been hearing a lot about this intermittent Fasting lately and would love to give it a try. I need to lose about 15 kg.
    I am looking at the 16/8 Fast. The one problem is that I do my weight training workouts first thing in the morning. I am suppose to be on a fast till 1pm. A lot of the evidence says that you need to have protein straight after you workout such as a protein shake etc or your body can canibalise your muscle. Will a protein shake with water not Milk affect the fast? Is this old science?

Thanks

16/8 just means you consume your food over an 8 hour period in a 24 hour period. You get to choose your 8 hour window. For example if you work out at 8am, then choose to eat from 8am to 4pm as your 8 hour window. Why are you fasting to 1pm? Is this something you chose or were you told this is how it must be done?

Your body is responsive to protein needs up to 24 hours after exercise. Granted its best to eat protein shortly after a workout but its not super critical. I hope that you also realise that protein intake in excess to your needs is stored as fat. So how do you know what is an excess amount? If youre trying to lose body fat and you are carb restricting yourself and the body fat content isn’t going down then it would be safe to say your having too much protein.

I was watching a video from Terry Crews explaining how he does fasting and eats from 2pm to 10pm. He also says he works out early in the morning. Im use to seeing all the bodybuilding diets saying to have protein straight after a workout etc. He doesnt go into detail what he eats and if he has a protein shake after his workout. But you see the size of him doing fasting and he hasn’t lost any muscle so I think I might give it a go. What do I have to lose. My work break is at 1pm so that why I’m going to fast from 9pm to 1pm.

Peanut butter contains a fair bit of protein. I usually grab a peanut butter sandwich for a quick bite and have the remaining peanut butter just like that. If you were vegetarian and had dairy products then cottage cheese would have been a very good option. Also, I’ve heard broccoli is good!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.