One year on 5:2 Fasting.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Trojan.Hussar 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• I’d never been a dieter and made avoiding scales a conscious decision before I started this but having seen some unflattering photos of myself felt that I owed it to my Wife and four kids to do something about my weight before it did something to me.

In retrospect I had probably been on >3000kcal a day, I was 18st 7lbs (117.6Kg) and only getting bigger. I suffered from chronic acid reflux to the point where I had to have gastroscopy and took Omeprazole daily as well as being asthmatic.

I decided to cut back what I had been eating and introduce a fasting day on Tuesday and Thursday. So I dropped my intake to 2000kcal with a fasting day of 600kcal and the weight just fell off. In March I’d lost 3st (19Kg) I dusted off my bike and bought a trailgator which meant I could tow my youngest daughter the one mile to school on her bike.

I now cycle between 60 and 80 miles a week, dropped from 40″ waist trousers to 36″ (and I have to wear those with a belt). I’ve lost 22.1Kg (3st 6lbs) in a little over a year. I haven’t used my inhalers in months, I’m able to go without my Omeprazole for days at a time without any ill effect and haven’t had any acid reflux episodes since before Christmas.

I’ve gotten a little less strict with my non-fasting day diet and generally keep it between 2000 and 2200kcal (my TDEE is 2552kcal) the weight loss has slowed but I now burn around 4000-5000kcal a week cycling.

I’m very happy with my weight and fitness as they are at the moment, medically I’m still overweight (BMI is 30.2) so in the long term I’m aiming to drop another 16Kg to get my weight into the top end of ‘Normal’. My goal of 79.4Kg (12st 7lbs) is still a long way off, but I’m in no hurry!

Regards,
    TH.

That’s fantastic Trojan.Hussar! A really inspirational story of weight loss, improved fitness and health benefits! I’m delighted for you. I’m just on my 3rd week, 6th fast day today so I’m hoping to have as positive a story as yours to relate. Keep up the good work, I’m sure your family are really proud of you. Claire

Hi TH

Wow – that is a fantastic story – good for you and your family.

I’m sure they are delighted that their husband and father is much slimmer, fitter and as you said much happier.

I personally love hearing from ‘old-timers’ like you; it motivates me to carry on and not be disappointed with my realllly slow weight loss.

I think if you view it as a lifestyle choice, rather than a ‘diet’ then the timescale isn’t quite so important. It’s easy, it’s free and best of all it’s flexible.

One thing it’s also encouraged me to do is to cook up whole batches of tasty (but correctly portioned) food for fasting days. My wife bought me a tagine for Christmas and I make a mean Harissa lamb now!

TH.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.