My first fast day!!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Trillium 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Hi all, I’m Raquel and I’m just on my first day of fasting. I’m Portuguese, but I live in Belgium for 8 years already.

Started the day with a 0% strawberry yoghurt, 30g of cereals with almonds (good for around 117Kc) and a coffee (I’ve put a small stevia tablet in it, but it tasted bad so I’ll just stick with the bitterness of black coffee, I’ll get used to it).
    Tonight I’ll have Light Lasagna from “The 5:2 Diet Fasting Cookbook” of Angela Dowden. I made it yesterday and it was already my dinner so no cooking today 😉
    Still have some research to do as I’d like to have an idea on how many calories my “regular” soup is – I make around 2 liters of soup which is good for 2 days for the 3 of us (me, my husband and my 3-year-old daughter – the baby boy doesn’t eat our soup yet). I make our soup with just loads of vegetables and 2 knorr cubes (and normally nothing else like pasta or meat) so I think it will be pretty good to have at the fasting days, but I’ll take a look at some calorie counting websites to be sure.
    Now, I’m working from home today so I’ve just prepared a cup of herbal tea to help me through the end of the morning as now it’s the time I start getting hungry normally.

Let’s see how it goes. Any tips are welcome.

hi Raquel and a warm welcome to the forum!!

good luck on your fast today though it sounds you are all ready and prepared lol!
    I am of French/italian origin but living in the UK since 1983, I love the way these forums reach out far and wide worldwide 🙂

have a good fast and keep us posted 🙂
    fasting today as well so I am right there with you,

I’m finding that tea will really be my fast-buddy!! I have a sitting job and being the whole day in front of the laptop isn’t that good for not feeling hungry. Some warm tea is giving me some comfort at the moment 🙂
    I have to see on how it works for me staying with no food till 7pm or if I have to change my approach and have some snack at lunch time. Not sure if it will be better or worse, but at this point I still think I’m going to make it 😀
    I still didn’t loose focus, and still 3 hours of work today so I think it will be ok. In about 3h I’ll have my children around, so that means I’ll have some distraction.
    I’ll post an update in the evening to say how my day went.

You are doing great Raquel!

🙂

Hi Raquel. My name is Ty and this is my first day too. I am really excited that i have decided to start the 5:2 way of life. I am going from 7 pm to 7 am the next day (36 hours). The book said that 36 hours was a fast versus 24 hours, so we will see.

I had a bolied egg and a apple for breakfast. I am going to work out now.

Congrats on your journey!!!!

Hi everyone, I am on my first ever fast day and going through the mix of emotions (excited, apprehensive, scared, liberated, worried, cocky….). I am planning on completing a 36 hour fast (last meal Monday night – start eating again Wednesday morning) as I am worried that I might not stick to 500 calories if I start eating……

Although I am finding it okay at the moment, drinking plenty of water and herbal tea – I am hungry but feel it’s manageable as I know that I can eat tomorrow. How scary to think that after 20 years of miserable dieting that this might work…….

Good luck everyone x

Hi everyone, I’ve been doing this since October and have lost 14lb so far.

When I started I was dividing my cals into 3 – lunch, dinner and supper but soon dropped the lunch cals so that I could have more at dinner time. I am now trying to ditch the supper cals and just have all my 500 cals at dinner and just have fruit tea, etc throughout the day. I’ve managed this a couple of times but the problem is that if I’ve eated all my cals I’ve nothing left for later!

At the end of the day, though, it’s what works best for you and you may have to try a few different things to find out.

Good luck all!! Linda

Hi everyone!

I’ve been doing the Fast Diet since September and whilst I’ve had some plateau’s along the way, find it to be the most sustainable “diet” ever. I started off needing breakfast in the morning too, but found that that just made me more hungry by lunch time. Now I try and put off eating until as late as possible, so usually have a light lunch around 4pm, then dinner and a snack if I have the spare calories. I’m not sure how on earth you can do no eating at all Vonnie999 but if it works for you then stick with it. I would suggest trying the 500 calories though, as once your body is used to it, the Fast Days aren’t that hard, and they are effective enough to see the results you are looking for!

I write a blog post every Tuesday about my progress and have meal ideas and recipes each week, so if you are stuck for ideas and want to have a look, http://meg-made.blogspot.co.uk is my blog.

Good luck and stick with it!!

Meg

Hi everybody and thanks for your comments. My first fast day went actually pretty smoothly. The hardest was around lunch time when I really started to get hungry, then I got some tea and it was ok. At dinner time I did have around 100ml of vegetable soup before dinner so I don’t think there were many extra calories in it. Then I had the lasagna light and it was very good. Just before going to bed I had another cup of tea and when I woke up I didn’t even had that much hunger.
    This morning (out of curiosity) I weighed myself and I dropped almost 1kg from last sunday. I think this is not very representative of all fast days and I won’t weigh myself all the time, but it was quite cool to see 😉

Today was then a “normal” day with a lunch out sith coleagues. I don’t think I “compensated” for yesterday so I’m preparing for tomorrow’s fast day again. I will try to have a more filling breakfast as i have to go to the office and I don’t want my stomach to start growling when I’m at a meeting at 11am but I think that it will be ok.

Does anyone know why the calories in an egg actually differ depending on whether it’s cooked, poached or bakked? I actually bake my eggs in a pan without any fat or anything, so I wonder if it would not be the same calories as just cooked. Or scrambled. If we don’t add anything, won’t it be the same as cooking or poaching?

@ty: Geat to hear there’s another newbie, we can share some experiences along the way.

@vonnie: how did your day go? I couldn’t make it without eating at all, and just having a breakfast and then dinner, if you plan it well, it’s not that hard.

@linds: Great that you have already lost so much weight. I guess we all just have to find a way to make it work for us. I’m sticking to my 24h / 500 cal split by breakfast and dinner for now. Then I can check if it still works or not. Then maybe I’ll have to try something else, like the 2pm / 2pm method or so. Still starting so I really don’t know what will work best for me.

@meg: I was also pretty hungry at lunch time yesterday. i’m going to see how it goes tomorrow and maybe next week I’ll have to try to eat later in the morning. But like I did it yesterdya I had 3 periods of 12h without food (from dinner on monday to breakfast on tuesday, to dinner on tuesday, to breakfast today). I think that’s pretty good for me, so … fingers crossed and up to next fast day tomorrow. Oh, by the way, I had found your blog already on my so many searches for recipes around 5:2. it looks gorgeus and so do you and your family. Keep it up, I’ll be posting my findings somewhere too, but still have some organizing to do 😉

Cheers all.

Hey Raquel. Yes sharing experiences would be good. i got on the scale this morning and was 4 lbs lighter. My day went well. We had a snow day, so i was stuck in the house and it was so hard not to snack!!!! but i made it. my day two has already started. i am excited.

Hey all,

I’m on my second fast day!! Started with some nice scrambled eggs with cherry tomatoes and a yoghurt and a few small bites of carrots. Now at the office so just keep busy and drink loads.
    I’m very excited as well and think today will be even better than the first one.

hey, I finished my 37 hour fast and managed a morning swim. I was really chuffed that I did it, although admittedly I did spend the evening hiding in my bedroom whilst the family were eating (the smell of bacon was a killer!!)
    I don’t plan to do the 36 hour fast regularly, in fact I am trying a lunch to lunch fast today, 1pm to 1pm with a 500 cal meal for my dinner tonight – I just can’t get it in my head that it will work – it seems to easy….. I am only weighing myself once a week otherwise I get a little obsessive but I feel really good, whether its weight loss or not not 100% sure – but I like it!!! 🙂

trillium – Good luck on your second day – keep in mind tomorrow you can eat….

Meg made – I am going to look at your blog now, I find that reading peoples stories and tips really help.

Hi

Me and my friend are staring this today. Everything seems okay at the moment. Re Skimmed milk, I put little as it is in my tea but should I be having black tea and coffee as much as i want. Is there a site that I can look up calories for fruit and veg.

Ta

Ush

@ubhari – Hi Ush – I find this really helpful – http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ you can sign up and keep a food diary and they have pretty much every food calorie count you would need!

Yeay!! Yesterday evening I had some vegetable soup and grilled salmon (around 100g) and a huge board of vegetables (I think in total around 200g) – these are raw weights. And so my second fast day was a success.
    I’m very happy an d although last night I wasn’t feeling that well (my throat was hurting) I just had some tea before going to bed and then I’ve put some medicine spray and today I feel great.
    Up to the next week!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.