Howdy – jumping on the New Year bandwagon!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Iwant2Bincontrol 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Hi everyone

I have just started the 5:2 diet after seeing the benefits that Michael Mosely found in the Horizon program. I haven’t got the book but I guess I don’t need it unless I get stuck somehow, as the concept seems so simple.

I’m not overweight; 27 year old bloke, 6’1″, 174 pounds as of Jan 2nd (before start of diet), into running and weight training. I want to do this diet for two reasons – I know and look that I feel my best when I’m about 10 pounds lighter, having been that weight when I quit alcohol and all sweet/salty snacks for a few months in 2012. I dropped the weight and ran (for me) an exceptionally fast half marathon of 1:31:45. I couldn’t do without those tasty treats for long though, hence that lifestyle was unsustainable! But I want to shift the little bit of belly wobble and run faster so 5:2 looks like a way to do that.

The second reason is that I want to be fit and healthy for as much of my life as I can. People may be living longer in general, but what good does it do you to spend the last 20 of your 80 earthly years taking a cocktail of pills and with declining health from a multitude of preventable diseases? Maintaining a healthy body weight prevents cancer, diabetes and dementia, three things that can ruin your quality of life as you age. There is evidence that fasting reduces the risk of those three illnesses too, moreso than just being a healthy weight. Here’s hoping!

I’ve done one fast day and lost 4 pounds (seriously!), but I was properly bloated with holiday excess when I first weighed myself ;-). The hunger was surprisingly manageable, but I slept very poorly and got a headache, so I think having a small glass of milk or something before bed might help next time.

Good to be here, I’m sure I’ll keep y’all updated with my progress from time to time!

Welcome stu! You may find that the headaches won’t happen after a couple of fast days anyway – I find the first day back on the wagon can be a bit headachy- I think of it as detox or sugar/carb withdrawal. Drinking heaps of water is good for me!

I’m also a runner and would love to do a 1:30 half marathon one day! Being lighter will certainly help me on that path!

Good luck and I look forward to finding out how you are going 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.