Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 28,177 replies, has 834 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 2 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 28,281 total)

• Hi smarte, and welcome. You did well to resist the popcorn, good on you! We have had some awful hot days here too, but as I said above, much more pleasant today. Nature is a weird best isn’t she? Look at what’s happening in the northern hemisphere recent days.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info Jaycee re seeing peoples profile, nice to get an insight into the person behind the username!

So one fast day left in the week for most I guess. I have been doing 4:3 since dec. I can’t decide if I should continue with it now that I’m about 5 to 8kg away from goal. I haven’t got back under 70kg since Xmas day and am wondering if the extra fast day is actually not working for me anymore. I may also be subconsciously eating more on feast days thinking that I have an extra day to get it off. I have always walked a fine line between enough and too much food to lose weight.

Would love to hear your thoughts please!!

Hi, Perth is lovely and cool today, gearing up for a very hot weekend. My husband and I completed our first three fasts fairly easily. I lost .6 he took off 2.6!! We ate the the same food etc. Men seem to lose weight easier than women. I have yo yo dieted all my life so expect my body has gone into starvation mode, does that happen in the beginning?
    I am grateful for my loss as at least it is going down. I have such a sweet tooth, need to have my chocolate fix.
    Does anyone find it tedious working out the calories, what is the best way of doing it?

Sucks doesn’t it Mikayla…..just doesn’t seem fair!

@ dayna05, hang in there…
    I used to be the same re non fast days, but once I settled into a pattern, found that I could not eat more on a non fast day and it’s becoming more of a habit to actually eat less!

Perhaps 2 days is enough and easier to cope with?
    Slowly, slowly 🙂

Hello! I’m new too….about to start my 4th fast tomorrow. I’m from Adelaide. I haven’t really told anyone about this 5:2 thing so it’s nice to have fellow converts to talk to 🙂 I started 5:2 because I am on long service leave at the moment and would like to use the time to reset my immune system and get into a healthier way of living. And if i drop a few kilos in the process I will be super happy also. I’m currently 67kgs, size 12ish, aiming for 60kgs. Great to be in touch with other people from this corner of the world who talk in kilos instead of pounds and stones!

In answer to mikayla, I found this calorie counter online and find it fairly comprehensive: http://www.virtualmedicalcentre.com/caloriecounter.asp . You don’t have to fill in the information section. You just click on the food-group icons to see the calories. By the way, to convert kilojoules to calories, you just divide by 4. I found my weight loss was fairly slow in the first 3 weeks of intermittent fasting. After losing 1.9 kg in the first week, I lost 0.1 kg the next week and nothing in the week after that. Then the next week I lost 1.3 kg. In the 5th week I lost 0.9 kg and in the 6th, 1.2 kg. After that came Christmas and New year, with a small loss (0.6 kg) and a small gain (0.3 kg). Now that I’m in my 10th week on this IF eating plan, I won’t be weighing myself until this Saturday. I’ve found I get a better indication of my progress (or lack thereof) by waiting until the two fast days are over for the week. I, too, have a sweet tooth and always want something sweet after dinner. I allow myself some chocolate of a night, from Fri to Sun, and just have fruit (a small amount of watermelon, or cherries, or paw paw on other nights, including fast nights).

Thanks @aussienow! 2nd fast day of the wk almost over. Today has seemed to breeze by. Its nice when that happens.

Nice strategy @gomarg, I often follow dinner with yoghurt and cinnamon. Cinnamon is supposed to curb the sweet cravings. Works better some days than others!

Good Luck @mikayla and @nickers!

My 26-year-old daughter joined me on my daily walk yesterday. She has the Lorna Jane app on her i-Phone (not available yet on Androids like mine), which calculates the distance you’ve walked, calories burned and time it took, plus a map of your route. We walked 3 kms, burned about 230 calories and took 38 minutes. When the weather gets cooler, I’d better add about 15 more minutes to my usual walk route. It has been effective for me up until now, as far as improved fitness goes, but I expect I’ll need to ramp things up before too long. I don’t think the weight-loss benefits of intermittent fasting will continue at my present levels of exercise.

@nickers: Welcome!! Interesting to hear you say you havent told anyone that you are doing this. I havent either, at least no one who really knows me…I dont like the pressure of the questions “how much did you lose this week?”. and “how much have you lost so far?” etc etc…makes me feel pretty ordinary if I have a gain:(. Most of my friends would be encouraging but on the many occasions I have lost weight before now, they say”Oh you look so good!” etc, then of course, say nothing on the many occasions I have regained it making me believe I look horrible of course:( I did have a lengthy discussion with the librarian today though, when I picked up my Fast Diet recipe book :). She is as short and as round as I am, so we are both hoping we see less of each other over the next few months 😀

@gomarg: Wow, makes one want an iphone!!! My mobile is a dinosaur which I use only for texting, I really dislike how everybody always has their heads in phones and ipads and ipods these days so I have resisted upgrading on principle till now….that app could very well make me change my mind!! How clever!!

Fast day tomorrow and weigh in day too, but I’m thinking I will change that to Saturdays.

I had a few panic moments today….my stored log in had dropped out and no matter how many times I keyed in my password, it kept saying Invalid. Turned out I just couldn’t read my own writing in the notebook where I stored the information. I discovered I had also stored in a word doc and that was when I noticed my error…mistaking my handwritten l and t as a capital H *doh* All’s good now and I have my support system back again *yay*

I love that motivation – thank you!

@jaybee68 and @gomarg – thank you kindly for pointing me in the right direction.
    I’m doing the Mon and Thurs fast. Today I had to switch lunch and dinner – I really love the flexibility. I’ve lost 0.4kg (I had a sneaky-peak today – I couldn’t help it!) Thrilled already.

Hi everyone
    Went to the Yeltour (RoBa will understand) sale today and bought gorgeous slacks size 14 WITH A SIDE ZIP!!! No stretchy waistband!
    Vicki

Thanks to Gomarg for the calorie counting thread. Thanks to Dayna05 for the encouragement, did a fast today so hopefully I will see a result later in the week. I am going to do the every other day diet for a bit of a kick start, will see how that goes.

69.6kg this morning, YAY!!!!! Now to continue going down…

That’s great Dayna! I have gained and then lost, like a yoyo since Tuesday’s weight loss, but I’m re-weighing tomorrow to see if there is going to be an extra loss like I experienced two weeks ago. I’m still happy to be 76.5 kg and 79cm around my waist.

So onward, ever onward! I’m guessing it will take another 12 months to get down to 65kg at this rate! Ha ha! As ever, slow and steady wins the race- says my inner tortoise.

Wow, @ihaveawaist, your waist measurement is where I need to get to. Half 157cm sucks!! Yes I think slow and steady will win. So close I can smell it now. lol

Dayna and Ihaveawaist…well done!

Vicki, I have not seen side zipped pants in decades and hate the elastic waists, but I do what I have to…for now 🙂

Weigh day for me tomorrow, but I have a pair of “much darted” shorts which are constantly drooping, so I’m hoping to have a good loss!

Keep the good vibes coming:)

Jaybee68, you don’t have to log in with your password every day to this post. You can go through your email from WordPress by just clicking on the Post Link: http://the fast diet etc etc… at the bottom of the email and you are in.

Gomarg, Thanks for the info. However I have not set my options to receive email notifications, I just go to my profile where I have set up as favourites the forums I frequent :). When I could not log in, I could still view this forum but couldn’t post in it. Anyways it’s all good now and I have written out my password more clearly for off computer storage:)

I had a bit of a disaster with Fast day today, hubby jeopardised me (unbeknownst to him because I am doing this privately…well in real life privacy 😀 ) BUT the good thing is I can just switch it to tomorrow!!! I had weigh in this morning and the scales were good to me showing a 1.3kg loss (which means I have lost .3 since Christmas…why do I do it to myself???). Anyway Christmas gains have gone and I am back on the downward track again!!

How do you Fasters record your statistics? In a notebook (paper and pencil variety)? On a diet website? On an iPhone app (don’t know if I have THAT terminology correct :D)? I keep a record both in a notebook and on another 5:2 website which has a progress tracker, graph, etc.

Hi Jaybee, this is an interesting area, which I needed to work out. I would love to know the link for the graph you use.

I initially started recording in a notebook and a calander as backup, but got tired of not being able to see the whole picture, so I made myself some homemade graph paper ( not being able to find any in my local news agents ) and have since had a wonderful time colouring in the weeks, dates, and weights, to show me how I’m tracking, at a single glance. I have added the big things like the six, nine and twelve month marks, the five kilo losses and my waist measurement, so I can see what’s changing and what’s not.

As an asiside issue, I was wondering if anyone has found a big difference between their TTDE, BMR measurements used on this site and other sites. Mine seems to be dramatically different, and I was thinking that I’ll have to dramatically change my calorie intake on my regular days, or seriously up my exercise, if the TTDE on this site is correct.

Hi All fasters, JayBee 68 I have set up an Xcel spreed sheet with formulas on my desktop computer. All I have to enter is my weight and it tells me how much I have lost, what my BMI is and how much more I have to go to reach my target of 78kg. Last weigh in last Saturday I was just over 130, so I have set out the dates forward for two years. If it takes less I will be happy but if it takes longer I will stick it out as after 30 years of dieting, and putting on weight, this is the first and only thing that has worked.
    Looking forward to weighing in on Saturday even if I haven’t lost much this week. Will update on Saturday. Cheers, Charlie.

Hi ihavawaist! Re the differences between BMR/TDEE on this site and others: as I understand it, there are two different formulas used for calculating BMR and TDEE – the Harris-Benedict formula, and the Katch-McArdle (or is it the Mifflin-St jeor?) formula. As usual, scientists can never quite agree, and one comes out lower than the other. I think this site is using the lower one (although I can’t remember which it is.), so that would be why it is different from some other sites.

My fast day today was a bit of a challenge – I’ve been marking university assignments, and that’s really hard to get absorbed in! So I was battling the distractions of hunger most of the afternoon. However, I’ve got through the day with just 508 calories… unless I give in and have a piece of chocolate (believe me, marking the current assignment deserves chocolate!) But I’m trying to be good!

@ Jaybee and Charlie, I use the Easy Diet Diary app (free for iPhone and Android) to keep track of daily calories. For recording weight and measurements, I also use an Excel spreadsheet. I enter my weight each morning and the simple formulas calculate weight lost and BMI. I also record body measurements every week or two. It’s good to see them all gradually going down.

Charlie, I too am looking at this as a long-term goal. I started at 101 kilos in November with a BMI <gulp> of 42. I’m only 155cm (5’1″) so I’m aiming for 70 kilos by my next birthday in October. I’ll still be overweight then according to the BMI (which I don’t entirely believe in…) but if I get there I can celebrate, and aim for 60 if I wish. I’ve said goodbye to 6 kilos in 2 months, so I’m on my way…

Thanks bronwyn, that explanation of why there is such a huge difference between the figures makes sense.

The TTEE on this site is 400 calories less per day than other equivelant sites, so instead of around 1700, it was 1300….which is too scary to think about, and something I would undoubtedly struggle with in the long term. So for now I’ll just settle for keeping away from the sweet snacks, pastries and alcohol to keep the cals down on my regular days. I think what happens is that as your body gets smaller, it uses less cals to function, therefore you end up needing less overall and need to adjust your general eating.
    My friend the chocolate bar/cake/muffin/brownie will just have to wait!

I had to laugh when you said a choclate bar was looking quite good after plowing through those uni assignments bronwyn! I completely agree with you!

Looks like excel spreadsheet is a useful way to plot the course of this journey, I only use it for expenses with my business, but I could definitely try it out, especially when you can add blocks of colour to the columns for added interest.

So I re-weighed this morning and have lost another 200 grams, so maybe there is something to the second day, delayed results after all?!

How are all you quiet dieters going? Especially the new ones? I’d love to hear how it’s going for you, remember you are definitely not alone!

Cheers for now have a wonderful weekend!

Hi Ihavea waist…I am not sure if I am permitted to link another 5:2 website here and I dont think this one has the option to send you a private message, if it has, I havent found it yet. You might find it with a Google search for 5:2 Fast Diet Progress Tracker though. I love that you have made yourown graph and are enjoying colouring in again 🙂 I am such a slacker :(. Re TDEE etc: Yes, I have found different calculators to give different results. To save confusion (imperative at my age :D) I will stick with the one on this site.

CharlieG…I am very impressed with your Xcel expertise…wish I was clever enough to do that!!

Fasting day for me today after a bit of a disaster yesterday. After my hubby so nicely brought home a lovely treat for me, I really went off the rails and reverted to my “old” diet mentality of “Oh well, Ive blown it now so might as well go whole hog for the rest of the day”. Previously that would have been the end of THAT diet for me but today, I am back on track. Yay!

Have a great day everyone!

Good luck fasting today, that’s the beauty of this WOE is that the sun can shine on us the next day.
    For me I am finding that doing the 16:8 routine after an indulgent day has worked well. After years and $$$$$$ spent on every kind of diet have at last got within my goal weight–despite hypothryoidism and being 63. This WOE is magical especially the way we are in control.
    Just off to a lunch party in my pretty sundress AND having to wear a black belt to downsize it–I’m feeling like one hot momma!!!! never thought I would feel that way.
    Thank you all for the support on this forum and for the newbies as our Rachel Hunter used to say on the Pantene ads “it may not happen over night BUT…”

Oh, you clever Excel ladies!
    My weights are on a whiteboard, and my other stats on a piece of paper.

I believe it better to stick to one set of scales/figures etc, after my daughter telling me that the digital scales I use were wrong.
    It may not be scientifically accurate, but consistent.
    I asked the pharmacy if they had pay-as-you-weigh scales and she just laughed!

A good loss for me, after my Christmas indiscretions, as I’ve left 900gms somewhere 🙂
    Good luck to Saturday weighers!

Good morning from Perth where we are to have 44deg today, that is just too too hot.
    I have done 4 fasts and am chronically constipated. I take Benefire but to no avail, feel if I drink anymore I will float. Help!!
    Do others suffer, and what works for you? Will this pass?
    The weight does not fall off me but that is OK.
    If you are in Perth keep cool today.

Sorry to hear about your constipation mikayla, I like to use a couple of very strong coffees as a hurry up, and if that doesn’t work see if you can find some aloe vera juice, it helps me a lot.

There are some other things like psyllium husks, which you can drink and even asking your nearest pharmasist for advise. Eating high fibre foods, even good, old fashioned prunes are really great at getting everything moving.

Good luck and I hope that at least helps!

Looking for ideas for his 600 cal and her 500 cal tasty menus without capsicum, minimal carrot and no grits for him. Yes, two eggs for him and one for her is easy for some days. We already don’t add salt, no milk in tea or coffee but make our own yoghurt. We have purchased people scales and food scales which do parts of a gram. Ready for before and after photos. Her 66 & 66kg, him 71 & 98kg, recommended by GP so about to start on Tuesday.

So yesterday was my first Fast Day here in sunny Ballarat, Victoria. I first heard of the 5:2 Fast on ABC. Over the past week I have read Michaels’s FAST Exercise book and then began reading his Fast Diet book and I couldn’t wait to try it. I chose yesterday as my first fast day as I knew I would be busy and wouldn’t have much time to think about food. I found the first day not too bad really. I also found that because it was so warm yesterday that I wanted to drink more water rather than eat, so it will be interesting to see how I will feel on a Fast day when it’s a cold day here in Ballart.

Hi Mikayla
    Sorry to hear about your constipation–can make your whole being feel yuk. My 2 bob’s worth is that I have 2 kiwifruit every morning–and I dont count them as part of my fasting cals, because the benefits of being ‘regular’ far out way the calories. A friend absolutely had to stay regular due to a bowel obstruction and her doc had her on Metamucil which is natural psyllium fibre.
    If you havent been for a while you may need to resort to an enema (not as bad as it sounds).

All the very best and keep us posted.

Marg and hubby all the best do you have the recipe books–Mimi’s one and the 2 Day diet by Harvie and Howell–so many ideas.

@doublehappy…no wonder you are “doublehappy” setting off to a party looking gorgeous. Good on you!! When I think of the money I have spent on diet club memberships, meal replacements, Jenny Craig, others I can’t even remember the name of, I wonder what else I could have spent that money on….an overseas trip??? Easily 😀 Like I said earlier, yesterday I had a hiccup, today I am rectifying that and it is going well…althoug at 4.15pm my tummy is gurgling somewhat.

Aussienow, I wish I was one of those clever Excel ladies. After reading the posts here, I went onto the internet to see what I could find. There are some interesting templates available for Excel for free but you have to sign up or register and I am a bit anxious about that.

mikayla, I saw where you guys are going to cop 44 degrees today and 42 tomorrow, then down to 29 the next day…how weird. Across bottom of Aus will be getting it after you…hope it doesnt reach as high as us, one day of 45 degrees was too much for me!! hope no bushfires break out over there, I read where lots of the national parks are closed…as a precaution I expect.

I havent had the constipation problem thankfully but I have discovered in my reading that it is common. Hope you can get it sorted soon. Very uncomfortable.

Welcome marg and knightfit. Keep posting and let us know how you go. Where are you from marg? If you hover mouse over the usernames, it will tell you about that person…as much as they want to share anyway:)

Hi everyone, I successfully completed my second fast day yesterday. I did struggle a bit especially at about 4pm. Both days I was extremely tired around this time. Then found it very difficult to sleep that night. I feel good today though. I have decided to weigh my self on Mondays as my fast days will be Tuesday and Friday. I have been reading that weight takes a couple of days to show after a fast day, is this what people have been finding?
    It is over 41*C here today so there has not been too much movement in our house. I have not felt terribly hungry so I think things are good.
    Will keep you posted.
    Mel

I find that I eat a lot more fruit than I used too, particularly cherries, paw paw, apple slices and watermelon. Adding more fruit to your diet could help your constipation problems, mikayla. My husband also swears by Metamucil. In fact, I thought my fruit intake this week would cause a weight gain today, on my weigh-in day, but I was pleased to have lost 1.4 kg. That means I have now lost 7 kg in total since the first week in November. I also checked my measurements today, as it has been one month since I first took them. I have lost 2cm from my thighs, nothing from my calves (probably due to muscle build-up from walking 15 km a week), 6 cm from my hips, 7 cm from my waist, 4 cm from my bust and 4 cm from my neck. I am also down one dress-size (now an 18). I am so happy with the intermittent fast approach to eating. You can eat a little of anything you like on non-fast days and still lose weight and not feel deprived. If you are looking for fast-day meal ideas, marg. (another Margaret I see!), I added a link to one of my earlier posts to a great blog by an Australian lady of Italian descent (The Paddington Foodie), who is currently doing the 5:2 and has lots of interesting recipes on her site, with all the calories listed.

Hi mikayla, I’m in perth too and it’s hoooootttttt. I have had a lot of trouble with constipation in the past. At the moment I am making a cleansing juice to have on my non fast days. In it is 1 apple, I stick of celery, half a cucumber and a good handful of kale. Put it all in a blender with water and blend up. It tastes ok, might need to get used to it though. I haven’t had any troubles with constipation so since. It only has 54 calories for about 250mL. You could also add a knob of ginger if you have tummy problems as well.
    Hope this helps. Stay cool. The pool is calling but it’s too hot. Non fast day today so I think I will have a beer.
    Cheers
    Mel

gomarg! I’m so, so impressed by your wonderful results! Congratulations!

Keep cool my dear fasting friends!

Thank you ihaveawaist (I’m getting one too, now!). I just calculated the calories I eat on fast days. Up until now I’ve only been guessing. I seem to be averaging about 450 calories. Here is the link to an Australian calorie counter. site:http://www.calorieking.com.au/foods/?partner=hwf

Thank you for all who have helped me with hints for constipation. Good news, I have been!!!! Hurrah, now have to take advice and make sure it doesn’t happen again.
    Double Happy, I like the idea of 2kiwi fruit and Metamucil. Smarte, I will try you drink when it cools down enough to leave the house.
    The temperature has dropped 1deg, now 43, it is going to be a warm night, thankfully we are blessed with air conditioning.

Sounds like a great relief now that you’ve got a big load off mikayla!

Gomarg, you are a legend!

Well done – clap,clap,clap ..lol

Hi All,
    Weighed in this morning, and for the two months I have now lost 10kg neat after loosing .8 for the week. Mikayla, since starting on this WOL I find that I am eating lots of lettuce, cucumber and watermelon, and they all seem to be helping keep me regular. Ihaveawaist, it seems that I too have one as even the new clothes I have just fitted into need five to seven centimetres to be taken in. With today’s loss I have got to one of my milestones and that is for the first time since my twenties I am under 130kg. Next milestone is to get under BMI40. Smarte I feel for you with the heat. Our forecast for Tuesday through to Friday are 41, 43, 43, and 44, all without aircon, yuk. Good luck this coming week everyone. Cheers, Charlie.

Hi All,
    Thanks Mikayla, will find the two books by Mimi and Harvie & Howell.
    Jaybee thanks for the hover hint. Just about to set up an Excel chart to keep track.
    Gomarg thanks for the recipe link, Aussie calorie counter and encouraging results. Not sure I walk 15km a week although I probably do a few at work.
    Yes, Smarte ginger is excellent for tummys or drugs that can upset digestion.
    Charlie G, congratulations.
    Hubby has shopped for a few weeks of supplies, weighed and frozen portions too. The fridge has yummy strawberries and other delights!
    Enjoying being home in Perth although our a/c is only in the bedroom.
    Marg

Well done Charlie! Already taking-in clothes that are new! Hope you don’t overheat with all of the scorching weather.

Making raw fruits and veggies our friends really does help in keeping us regular and gives us plenty of lovely vitamins and minerals at the same time. I bet there won’t be many 5.2 fasters getting scurvy or beri beri any time soon!

Marg how great is your hubby? Weighing, measuring and freezing correct portions to keep you both going! What a champ!

Even though I finally told my hubby about my Mon/Thurs fasting after a couple of months of doing it in secret, and now seven months of him knowing…..he’s still forgetful and offers me treats loaded with cals….it would be great if we were on this together, but he is underweight and would fade away to a shadow if he fasted. Shopping with him can be tricky, as he loads up the cart with extra treats, rather than going for the fresh fruit and veggies, and wholegrain rather than white….you know what I mean. Anyway, I love this skinny boney man, and wouldn’t be without him, I just try and ‘not see’ all of his junk food sitting in the pantry, so as I’m not tempted to fall back into comfort eating.

It’s a good thing I have my colorurful chart at hand, and you lot to chat to about this journey to better health. Thanks for listening!

Thanks for letting us know your happy ‘event’ Mikayla–we were all anticipating for you! hopefully you are all set now.
    Jaybee–yes I had a great time at the party–and did lots more talking than eating. My daughter came and tightened my belt, said the back of my dress was hanging !!!! what a great compliment AND the bonus is with a tight belt you don’t eat so much. Had lots of compliments along the lines of you are looking great. What a spur on the keep it up (mmmm don’t want to give away my dress so maybe off to the dressmakers)
    Ihaveawaist– what a lovely hubby he sounds like–how is this for an idea, I put my visitors treats in a tupperware container so I don’t see them every time I open the pantry–out of site out of mine (oops freudian slip but appropriate).

Thanks for that Tupperware idea, the only thing is if I do that, he will then be asking me where his treats are, or go and buy more if he couldn’t find them….for a super-skinny guy, he’d have to be the biggest sweet tooth on the planet, the kids used to call him ‘cookie monster’!

Great news about your lovey dress and all the compliments!

How about labelling it for him to fetch–then you need never touch it.

I learnt a great platter trick too for the party–made my double chocolate brownie (with apple sauce instead of butter) cut slices of all different sizes, so I could have a piece big or small whatever I fancied. Quite a few chose the small slice–but it’s so delicious I knew they would be back for more ! my triumph is I didnt eat all the bits left over when I cut it–The birds had a feast.

@mikayla…so glad to hear you have BEEN 😀 Good for the result on the scales too 😀

I am feeling sorry for the West Aussies, and those in SA and Vic awaiting this heat wave to reach them. Those predicted temps for Vic for 3 days in a row without aircon sound unbearable to me, CharlieG. I DO NOT DO HEAT!! We will be getting high 30s later in the week…just in time for the influx of Festival visitors 😀

@gomarg, your results are amazing, what an inspiration!!!

@Double Happy I see you are from NZ…are there other Kiwis on here? You are the first one I have noticed since I started here.

Have a great day everyone. Happy Fasting. Non fast day for me today.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 28,281 total)

You must be logged in to reply.