Hello from Colorado

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Melinda_in_NC 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• I’ve recently (in the past three weeks) started the diet. I’m STARVING on fast days (I have been splitting my 500 calories between breakfast and dinner, trying to wait 12 hours between the two meals). Will it get any easier?

Fasts do get easier! Have you tried avoiding eating until later in the day? Eating earlier than late afternoon is disastrous for me as I become instantly ravenous shortly afterwards. I find it much easier to fast until the evening and then enjoy a good-sized, filling dinner. Other people have different experiences, though, and the beauty of this plan is that it’s not a case of one size fits all. Experiment and see what works best. And above all, stick with it! Good luck! 🙂

Hi NeverGiveUp, welcome to the forum and congrats on starting a new lifestyle.
    For me being a grumpy old man the fast days are easy whether I am working or not.
    My problem is the last hour before bed but more of that in another post.
    You are not starving, you are merely comfortably empty. No negative thoughts if you can avoid them.
    Please read as many of the posts as you can and click onto the faq link on the top left of the home page. You will find the answer to many of your questions, hopes and fears.
    You are different from every other poster on this site but have similar problems with many of us.
    Do what is best for you. Experiment with different foods, fasting times and calorie counts to achieve your targets. Ask for help, advice and support. You will get it.
    By the way how much have you lost in three weeks and more importantly are your health issues being helped by the fast diet?.
    Good luck.

It has taken a while for me to get used to the empty feeling which is not necessarily hunger. I have been so used to eating to feel full all the time that I forgot how to feel hunger.

A tip could be when you have these feelings go and do something for a few minutes and the feeling should pass as you will be distracted by whatever the task is.

Hi everyone, and welcome, NeverGiveUp. I would like to put in my two cents. I have been reading a lot of Joel Furhman lately (including his excellent 1995 book on fasting), and he always maintains that hunger “is a mouth and throat sensation.” So what we think of as typical hunger pangs–growling stomach, lightheadedness, peevishness–Dr. Furhman says is really just our bodies detoxing from all of our food. I think it helps to think like that of any discomfort you feel. It makes you feel like you are doing your body a good thing–which you are!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.