Exercise and Fast Diet

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Julian702 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi – I have just started the 5:2. i am a 67 year old male and live in the South of France. My issue is that I do a lot of cycling (like 3 or 4 hours at a time, 4 days a week – and in the French Alps so it is very hilly). I have lost 3 1/2 kilos in a week, so I am happy with that but I have no energy. My cycling has gone to pot and on my fast days I feel so shaky I cannot even contemplate cycling – or any exercise for that matter. But the book says you burn more fat if you exercise on fast days.

So I am not sure what to do, and whether it is a good idea to force myself to exercise on a fast day. I feel as if I would faint if I went out on the bike on a fast day.

Anybody have any views ?

I strength train, and do sprints on my morning of my fast day, Saturday, then rest the weekend.

Cardio workouts require ongoing energy beyond just water, due to the loss of electrolytes.

You are allowed to eat 600 calories on your fast day, but may not be enough for your regimen.

Consider only cycling on your feed days?

Hi Julian 702. Don’t have an exercise regime as such, but having an allotment do a lot of heavy duty digging. Do sometimes feel lightheaded on fast days, so if I usually did anything like cycling would probably not do it on fast days. You can’t fall far off a spade!

Hi Julian702, I am 65 yr grumpy old man and have been on the fast diet since end of Jan this year. Tonight I will be in the gym doing a cv workout for about 30 mins and this is one of my fast days. I have no problems with the level and intensity that I do but what you do seems to be highly intensive. From what I have
    read about recovery etc it may be that on your fast day you may need to do a lighter workout. Also do your cycling before your main meal and ensure you have protein to aid recovery. Check out the faq section on the top right of the home page and browse through some of the posters comments on fitness and workouts you may find some answers to help you.
    Good Luck.

Thanks to rockyromero, tomsmantis and couscous for your speedy responses. It sounds as if I shall have to try to do my cycling first thing in the morning or do something a bit less strenuous. I am on a fast day today and have just been for a very brisk walk. I feel so shaky – I need a piece of chocolate and my 90 year old mother-in-law (don’t you just love ’em) who lives with us is trying hard to tempt me with my favourite plain chocolate digestive biscuits.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.