Cabbage Lasagna

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  EasyCook 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• From Maria Emmerich, a low-carb lasagna that uses cabbage for the “noodles.” Years ago I was on a low-carb list, and one woman said she made it for her family, didn’t tell them about the cabbage, and they didn’t notice a difference, so it’s pretty good stuff! Maria gives the carb count for the cabbage “noodles” at 5 grams with 2 grams of fiber, though I would estimate with the meat, tomato sauce, etc., carb count per serving would be 12-15 grams.

cabbage lasagna

1 pound Italian sausage, optional
    OR 1 pound ground beef or pork
    ¾ pound grass fed ground beef
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
    1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
    3 (6.5 oz.) cans tomato sauce
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    1 tbsp salt
    ¼ tsp ground black pepper
    4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 head of cabbage
    16 oz. ricotta cheese
    1 egg
    ½ tsp salt
    ¾ lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
    ¾ cup Parmesan cheese

Boil water in a large pot.
    Clean cabbage and gently peel leaves.
    Place in water, boil for 5 minutes or until tender.
    Remove from water and drain.
    Preheat oven to 425˚F.
    In a large pan, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned.
    Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tbsp parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
    In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and ½ tsp salt.
    To assemble, spread 1½ cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
    Arrange cabbage leaves lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture.
    Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
    Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
    Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure foil does not touch the cheese.
    Bake for 25 minutes.
    Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes.
    Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per cup):
    Traditional Noodles = 246 calories, 43 carbs, 5 fiber
    Cabbage “Pasta” = 22 calories, 5 carbs, 2 fiber

Good idea nickcarter, I hadn’t thought of using cabbage.
    I usually make moussaka instead of lasagne and use strips of zucchini (courgette) or eggplant (aubergine) to divide the layers. It’s good to know we can be more inventive with the veg and still get a tasty result.

What a great idea, to use cabbage in lasagna. I never thought of that, but the texture would be good. Thank you for posting that!

The alternative is to use leeks by cutting them along one side to the middle and separating the layers.

I recently stumbled upon a wonderful lasagna recipe. I liked this dish.

https://club.cooking/recipe/cabbage-lasagna/
    I think you will like it too.

Ingredients
    about 15-20 cooked cabbage leaves
    1 1/2 lb. ground pork
    4 medium onions diced
    4 large carrots shredded
    8 oz. mozzarella cheese sliced thinly or shredded
    2 cups marinara sauce
    ….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.