Being a cheapskate

This topic contains 5 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I save a lot of money with this diet. For one thing, if I’m somewhere where eating is going to be expensive, like an airport or downtown or anywhere but home, I just don’t eat and leave my wallet alone. For another, I never turn down any “free” food (usually something I’ve actually already paid for. For instance last night, my wife and I were at an annual customer appreciation dinner. Typical meeting fare for around here but better prepared than most; soup, chicken, potatoes, green beans w/bacon, big slab of prime rib, served with wine and topped off with a big piece of cheesecake. And I just wolfed it all down like a 300 pounder and felt fine. Before I would be very careful and eat only half the meat and none of the dessert and I’d probably get sick anyway. But now I can pack it in like when I was 20 if I want to. The day before was a fast day and I knew this was coming so I skipped lunch (but ate breakfast). I put in an extra fast day today as I’m still processing the meal like a reptile I guess.

Hello Dlroseberry
    It is good to look on the bright side. I have wondered whether anyone calculates the money they save and then puts this towards a treat such as theatre tickets. Of course, some of us might need the money saved for clothes that fit. I save at least the cost of a meal in the work canteen on my fast days. I have made an extra contribution to a food bank with some of this, but otherwise nothing really specific. What do you do with the saved cash, DLroseberry? What do others do? Has anyone paid off debts or managed to afford a particular Christmas present for a child. Yours looking for uplifting stories.

I have found that I am very reluctant to spend any money on clothes at all.I gave all of those that were to big to charity shops and then bought clothes from the same shops as my shape changed and became smaller.

I have also found that I am far more interested in food and cooking so have spent money on more cookery books. I also grew some of my own fruit and vegetables last year in my back garden.I ate raw peas all summer and want to grow more this year.

I have dug up half the turf and plan to dig up the other half(if it ever stops raining) and now peruse seeds/pots/polytunnels etc. I am going to try and make by small city sunny back garden work for me.So I am going to be spending what I am not on fast days, on seeds/plug plants/herbs etc.

I haven’t saved that much on my food bill, mainly because I buy better cuts of meat and loads of vegetables/salad now.
    We do save on eating out though as neither of us can manage more than one course! I always liked a starter and main and my husband a main and dessert. Since his blood sample showed an increase in glucose level in November he has cut his sugar intake dramatically with good effect, so his dessert is off his menu and I don’t feel good making him wait for his main while I have a starter! Save -save situation 🙂
    I also check my phone for any coupons or vouchers and can save quite a lot on restaurant bills that way.
    Strange you also feel reluctant to spend money on clothes too Annette, I too look for any excuse not to go shopping! One day I shall have to as my belts have so many extra holes in them now they are beginning to look stupid. I’ll wait until the Spring fashions arrive in the stores……….

I will eventually save on clothes (I did have to throw out some things not completely worn out), though being a man and a farmer, clothes aren’t a big item. But still, since I no longer have that big bulge in the middle, I can get clothes that fit well enough at Costco. Since I’m a cheapskate, I could never join Weight watchers or do anything that I could see would cost. Intermittent fasting saves more than I expected and I’m almost as pleased with that as I am with the weight loss and the improved blood sugar and lipids.

As to what I do with any savings, my wife and I are nearing retirement and so we save as much as we can. We hope to be able to travel to Europe and Australia and New Zealand, maybe even east Asia. I’d love to spend a few feast days in France, and to walk in in the British countryside and have dinner in a pub. Just need our health and a little money. 5:2 works in both departments.

I love being a cheapskate. My motto for 2014 is ‘less is more’. I’ve convinced almost all my friends and family that buying bottled drinks is wasteful. The plastic is a revolting waste of resources, the contents are sugar and water, and they are always ridiculously over priced.

Like annette I’m a gardener and get enormous pleasure out of eating straight from the vegie patch.

I would like to try and have alternate weeks where I spend absolutely no money. I can almost imagine achieving that except for the one remaining teenager at home. I could call it a spending fast.

I’m totally with you Roba! I could have written that post myself!

Yeah, you definitely save on your shopping bills on this lifestyle, although I have been known to frequent takeaways occasionally in the last year (which never used to happen), so maybe that’ll even out.

Unfortunately for me, I didn’t have any old ‘thin’ clothes to go back into so I’ve been wallowing in my old size 16s wherever I still can (without looking totally ridiculous) and managing with one or two new ‘interim’ pieces bought in sales and charity shops.

I do think I’m now getting towards the point where I’m not going to physically get much smaller (clothes wise) though. I can get into 10s now. They’re usually a bit tight but I think that is going to be my end size. So when ‘Santa’ gave me £50 to spend on new clothes I did. God it was lovely trying 10s and 12s on and them fitting and looking nice. I bought 4 tops/dresses, 3 pairs of trousers, a spring coat and 2 pairs of boots (all from sales racks and charity shops) for my money – I feel like I have a whole new wardrobe 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.