Alcohol downfall!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 6 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Restarting 5:2 next week and trying to do my preparations! Does anyone else struggle with not drinking alcohol? I can’t bare the thought of not drinking at all but clearly need to rein it in! What’s a good way of keeping disciplined with not having a nibble and going over your calories – that ‘sod it’ moment. I’ve get 15 it’s to lose and it’s the hardest bit – all guidance gratefully received 😔

You have to work out why you are struggling with not drinking alcohol/having problems limiting it before you can find a solution.

If I have more than a couple of drinks I want to eat regardless of whether I’m hungry or not so I decided I would have no more than two drinks, only drink at the weekend and only with a meal. If I go out to dinner during the week I have a couple of drinks with my meal but no more. It isn’t easy but I keep reminding myself that I’ll only get to goal weight by changing my bad habits and if I don’t I’ll never get there let alone keep the weight off.

I usually drink wine every night, to be honest I drink 3-4 glasses of the stuff per night. I just started 5:2 and fasted last Monday when I had one large glass of wine. and yesterday (Thurs)I had no alcohol at all. Wasn’t so bad, I figure if I am going to make this work I have to reel in the alcohol part. Also it is good for my brain to know I can survive a night without wine!

I think you are right, this is me struggling to change my drinking – it’s so hard as wine is a massive part of my life! I definitely need to have non drinking days on my fasting days as a start – anyone got any advice?

Hello all,

and for @bunty52 – I’ve just started 5:2 as of Thursday last week. I know my regular tipples of wine have been an issue for weight gain – one glass of wine is at least 125 calories so in one day I was probably consuming 375 calories doing this, add it up and in one year that’s (being generous and including the odd days of not drinking alcohol) that’s at least 130,000 calories or more importantly 37lbs – just shy of 3 stone or 17 kg. That’s just wine!

So I realise something has to give and for my own sake I’d rather lose weight (I have 5 stone to lose now) than have a glass of wine. It’s just got to crunch point for me. But – I will allow myself to really enjoy a celebratory glass on special occasions with the family or if needed I’ll have a gin and slimline on a social but otherwise I just don’t trust myself – for me I think it’s a sugar addiction rather than alcohol and I always find I end up eating more if I drink.

Not sure that’s helpful really – but doing the maths brought my reality home to me and it’s there in the back of my mind if I feel like slipping to keep me back on track.

I did work out that there are about as many calories in a single whiskey as there are in a boiled egg. But one boiled egg does not lead to another boiled egg. The only answer is not to have it in the house.

Drinking (wine in my case) on a regular basis throws a monkey wrench into trying to lose weight. It makes weight loss on the 5:2 much less predictable, and when I’m eating less, it’s more likely to make me feel “off” the following day, even if it’s just 2 glasses. I’ll have a glass with dinner when we go out, or when we’re visiting with friends, but drink much less frequently now, maybe every other week or so. I don’t really think about it much anymore.

At one point I had to realize that if not drinking caused a lot of worry or concern, then I had a bigger problem than I wanted to admit.

I’ve realized alcohol causes a lot of problems for me. Even a few drinks will lead to more eating and not feeling like exercising the next day. I took a few weeks off from drinking and felt amazing. Unfortunately, I drank this past weekend and put on the pounds I had lost by fasting last week.

I have a huge problem with social drinking. I feel like I need to drink to feel relaxed and be more fun.

I’m going to try and “fake” drink tomorrow at a social event. I’m going to order club soda and pretend I’m having a mixed drink. Fake it til you make it?

Fast day for me today. I only had a kombucha over lunch and will have a 600 calorie dinner.

I find it easier to do something different. Instead of sitting in front of the TV after work, which is when i usually have a glass of wine. I sit in front of my laptop and surf right up until dinner time. It is a change of routine. Also I go to bed early on FD’s.

Drinking Wine has been a big part of my life as well. Its the reason for the weight. I have managed for the last month allow myself wine on Friday – and I have stuck to that. Now I have to reduce the number of wines on Friday – from 4 to 3.

I am just back from 14 days holiday. I drank, not I think to excess, every day. I am six pounds heavier.

http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/alcohol-and-fasting/

Posted by someone that doesn’t drink … 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.