1st Day Fasting!!! but a few questions for the experts!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
1st Day Fasting!!! but a few questions for the experts!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  JulieK1967 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• I’m halfway into my first day of the 5:2 plan and am starting with my first fast day (mondays and thursdays) but i’m unsure of how to allocate my calories…

I had porridge this morning – 200 calories, a cup of soup and 2 rice cakes for lunch – 165 calories total and i’m planning an omelette (1 egg white & 1 whole egg – 127 calories) for later on, ive also drank 1 black coffee and am 2/3’s into a 2 litre bottle of water, i feel slightly empty and i’m obsessing a little over food but apart from that I feel ok except slightly regretting not putting more calories into my later meal…

would it be better to split my calories over 2 meals or just save them all up for the end of the day?

Hi Kim and welcome to the forum!

well done on your fast so far, re the calories, well everyone does it differently lol, I am like you and split them throughout the day or sometimes I keep most for my evening meal…its what works for you,and what you feel you can manage better 🙂

its trial and error lol, you are nearly there, so happy fasting!! 🙂

Hi @kimhalliday welcome to 5:2 and well done on your first fast. The main thing on fast days it to try not to obsess about calories. What you think of as hunger is usually thirst and a cup of black coffee or a glass of water will sort them out.

As for when to eat on fast days, it’s a case of trying things to see what fits. Some people have 3 small meals – a fast from dinner the previous evening until breakfast (12 hours), some people have lunch and dinner (18 hour fast) and some, like me, do dinner until dinner (24 hour fast) and yet others wait until breakfast on their next fast day (36 hour fast). There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way. This way of eating should fit round you and your lifestyle, it shouldn’t take over your life. If you can’t fast on a planned day, no problem, do it another day. If you start fasting and then something happens to upset the plan…do it another day.

If what you’re doing today doesn’t work….do a different way next time.

I’m sure you get my drift 😀 Just relax..it gets easier as you go on and you wonder what you were worried about. It’s a very sustainable way of eating.

Good luck

xx

@angie090465 & @sylvestra Thanks for both your advice, I know the first day is always the hardest and i look forward to my better planned fast on thursday!!! I will post updates 🙂

Hi, I’m new to the forums myself but have been doing the fast diet for 3 whole weeks and am on my 7th fast day today. I would split your cals into two meals or even see if you can go through to dinner without eating at all. I do it that way as I find that once I start eating I’m just starving all day so I find it better to save my cals for a substantial meal in the evening so I feel full going to bed and not too deprived. It is hard doing it this way but it gives you the maximum amount of ‘fasting time’ (eg nearly 24 hours without food) and as long as you keep yourself distracted and drink lots it’s bearable. My saviours are radishes, you can have 100g for just 12 cals and I just dip them in no cal hot sauce, helps me through my kids tea time 😉 Good luck 🙂

kim.halliday – lots of great advice above and it is basically down to personal preferences and what works for you.

Personally I would advocate leaving eating (or drinking anything with calories in) until as late as you can possibly manage. This does help you stave off the ‘doubled up’ after-eating hunger pangs as long as possible and leaves you lots of calorie allocation for late in the day, making the evenings easier. However my main reason for recommending it is that the longer the ‘genuine fasting period’ the more likely you are to get the best of the health benefits.

But it’s really up to you to decide what’s going to be easiest for you to stick with.

thanks again for the advice everyone!!! I’m definitely more convinced in attempting a lunch & dinner fast plan on thursday and then trialling just an evening meal next week 🙂

As said already above, I also prefer to eat nothing during the day and have all of my 500 cal in the evening as my dinner. If I eat anything during the day it seems like my tummy is waking up to food and it craves for more. I drink tons of tea and water during my fast days and it seems to keep the hunger under control.
    Stef.

Hi Kim, I too prefer to eat nothing during the day and have all my cals at dinner time. I tried spreading them out during the day for the first week or so, which might help you for a start, but I found it easier to just drink water, herbal tea etc. It means I only have to work out my 500 cals once instead of having some and then having to calculate what I have left. It’s also too easy to have a few too many cals and then you have nothing or not as much as you would like left for later. Linda

I have a meal provided at work and can choose from a hot main to a salad bar with soup option.I choose to have something for lunch and then whatever I have left in approximate calories I have in the evening. I also find an early night helps.

Hi Kim, hope your fasting day is going well so far. It really is trial and error. If you’d prefer a larger evening meal then forget breakfast and have a 100 calorie meal (from the recipe book perhaps) at lunchtime. My first day I had a small breakfast of grilled mushrooms and tomatoes but found I was ravenous then. Now I try to just eat once a day on my fasting day so I consume nothing all day except 2 or 3 cups of tea/coffee with semi-skimmed and mineral water.

I prefer to wait and eat a more substantial evening meal at about 5pm so deducting the 50 calories for the milk in my tea means I can eat around 450 calories in the evening. Mostly on fast days I would have a cooked chicken breast or piece of salmon and a huge salad. For a change today I’ve had a Tesco “healthy living” Vegetable, chickpea and; lentil dahl ready meal (440 cals) it was delicious.

Occasionally I have had some soup at midday (cup-a-soup or homemade mushroom soup) usually out of boredom than real hunger (I work from home) but eating at lunchtime seems to make me hungrier and the afternoon drags as I am thinking about food more.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.