Succeed in September

This topic contains 142 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  jaifaim 44 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 143 total)

• Day 5 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 FD

Enjoyed walking on the beach yesterday and yes @stitchincarol, Crescent beach does look very like beautiful rugged Amroth beach. Whilst walking I considered the possibility of taking our property off the market until Spring and started to think that was a good plan only to get home to a message from the estate agent, some people want to view our house today. So I will be busy with a grocery delivery and house cleaning this morning and people viewing the property this afternoon……no time to eat, should guarantee a good FD.

Strength to my fellow Thursday fasters 🥗

Day 5 – UK – TDEE

Ended up yesterday just under my TDEE so feeling in control

No plans for today apart from Book Club this evening – weather looking good so have just decided to put on my walking shoes and get out for walk……

@missybear – I agree that a “walk does does us good, calms the mind and makes you feel more like you again” I think it may have something to do with the release of endorphins and nature’s healing powers
    @northgeorgia – stay positive and try to stick to what worked for you before
    @funshipfreddie. – I meant to say I’m loving your mosaic project – can’t wait to see the end product!
    @missybear @stitchincarol – I often meet with my DD to help with her dog walking business and we often go to Silecroft Beach (Cumbria) when the tide is out – Deserted and very clean beach, shingle at top then vast expanse of sand when low tide. (google it!) such a different space from the inland mountain area where I live and just a 45min drive away
    @bert1802 – lovely to see you back – I too have just returned properly this month after lurking in the background for months and just hanging on the wagon by my fingernails – definitely time to RESET
    @merryapple – I often bake cakes using olive oil instead of butter and you can’t tell I promise…..I use a Mild and Light version for baking……so using it in scones and flapjack was just another step……and olive oil is much healthier for you. I have a great recipe for an Italian apple cake make with olive oil if you want to give it a try??/

Right I’m off to get organised and then will be outdoors for that walk……solo one today as I could not convince anyone else to join…….the meditative act of walking, surrounded by nature’s beauty, allows my mind to unwind, reducing stress and anxiety.

Day 5 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@penz – congrats on the successful FD! Yes, snacking is such a bad habit. I was annoyed with myself after having salted peanuts after dinner last night, when I wasn’t even hungry. A tiny 50 g packet, but that’s 300 cals! I think I was contemplating today’s FD, so I decided I needed a reward in advance 🙄

@merryapple – not sure what you mean re the stalk? I have used light & dark green. Maybe it’s the light/picture? Although, it’s not meant to be a stalk, just grass, foliage in general. I’m winging it 😅 Oh, & @stitchincarol – the blue & white squares are actually purple & lilac. So maybe it’s just my crappy phone camera. I’m VERY proud of those diagonal cuts 😃 But it’s just a little device you use like a pair of pliers, with little sharp-edged wheels.

@merryapple – I heard the two princes both have criminal records, which is one reason the daughter was chosen to succeed the king? There was a huge court battle after the Zulu king died here 3 years ago. The process of choosing a successor is very complicated, especially considering they have several wives & God knows how many children. Apparently we have several ‘royal’ families in South Africa; 10 kings and a queen! No doubt all funded by tax payers 😒

@stitchincarol – $1400 to fix a rattle?! That would be a nice deposit on a new car here!

@bert1802 – welcome back & well done! That’s a good FD & a OMAD all-in-one 🥇

Pocket List – Day 5 🥝
    @merry🍎
    @michelinme
    @missybear
    @funshipfreddie

Day 5 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 233 lbs. At least a couple of pounds off. Too bad; I was hoping for a nicer fit this year at graduation but there’s next year to look forward to. The school shooting happened just 15 miles away from here, so we will go into the ceremony with heavy hearts tonight.

Day 5 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

Yesterday morning’s deep motivation had waned a bit by evening, and I was tired from my busy day and overwhelmed by everything still on my list, so I ate more than I’d intended. And then, contrary to what *ALWAYS* happens, I lost a whopping 2 ounces overnight, rather than my typical 2 pounds. Weird, weird, weird. But life goes on, and today’s WF should dispatch much of what I found ugly on the scale this morning. 😂

I went down to the (finished) basement and did an hour of tidying yesterday. There’s still plenty I could do, but the evidence of my efforts is clear, so that’s encouraging. Our family plan is to have the funeral on Monday or Tuesday, which means I need to have the basement ready for DD and her family by Saturday evening. The only problem, of course, is that my MIL hasn’t yet passed. This need to plan is getting tangled up with an inability to control the details, LOL!

@michelinme I meant to wish you a good trip to see your DD and somehow only got your name down yesterday!

@bert1802 Welcome back! 😉

@penz Ahh, now your description is sounding exactly like my experience. I did another hour this morning; my checklist is about half ticked and most of what’s remaining is the simpler tasks, so it’s happening. The problem, of course, is that visits to MIL take away many hours, and tidying and cleaning and preparing the house for the kids to be here for the funeral is also claiming a big share of time, so the bookkeeping is only happening slowly. I’d love to at least have the paperwork done before DD and her gang get here, but who knows. Thankfully, the extension I filed last April is good until October 15, so there’s no actual pressure…yet. 😂🤣😂

@merryapple Did I say apple? It’s carrot cake… But I’ve a lovely apple recipe–no, two!–that my mom made and I adore and I’ll post them eventually. Want the carrot cake recipe (the one with olive oil) also? Fascinating details on the funeral and selection of the princess!

@missybear Oh! Good luck with the people viewing your house!

@at Silecroft Beach looks very similar to “South Beach” in Crescent City. There’s also “Pebble Beach” (very aptly named as it’s all pebbles mixed into the sand) and the beach I linked, which is surrounding the dredged-out harbor. That’s a detail I really miss of living on the coast, so lucky you that a beach AND your DD are a mere 45 minutes away!

@funshipfreddie LOL! The rattle was actually the belt on the water pump…

@northgeorgia I immediately thought of you when I heard of the shooting, and wondered if you perhaps knew anyone in that town/at that school. So very sad.

Okay, time to get dressed and head out the door.

Have a grand one, everyone!

You are far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way.

Pocket List – Day 5 🥝
    @merry🍎
    @michelinme
    @missybear
    @funshipfreddie
    @stitchincarol WF

Day 5 UK f800

Horrid grey winter weather today ☔️ Hope it’s temporary was looking forward to a lovely September 🌈

Ha ha sounds very similar @merry🍎I loved the black slate tiles when I chose them but hard water takes it till , next time I’ll be going for something easier to clean

Good that you can stay away from the scales @bert1802 I might try to limit my weighing , it is just one measure 🤔

NDS ? that’s a new one for me @penz – intentional or a typo ?

Do hope the move went well @flourbaby Looking forward to the update

Thank goodness you posted @stotchincarol I was at a loss with the pocket list

Pocket List – Day 5 🥝
    @merry🍎
    @michelinme
    @missybear
    @funshipfreddie
    @stitchincarol WF
    @brightonbelle

Day 4 UK CD 1100
    Day 5 FD800

I didn’t post yesterday as SUCH a long day, but very glad to spend day with DD. Thanks @stitchincarol She’s recovering from surgery with chemo starting in a couple of weeks so life is full of health phone calls/appts and planning/prep. But we had a good day of relaxed chat over coffee, slow walk/push into town for lunch, and a couple of hours cleaning the kitchen!

Proud of myself for a series of good choices despite stress and weariness. I resisted – pastries with morning coffee – in favour of an apple, all snacks on the train, pastries/puddings/sandwiches at lunchtime – in favour of pumpkin soup, and chocolate/crisps etc on delayed train home – I chose tiny bag of nuts and a slice of light fruit cake. It made me realise how easy it is to eat a mountain of calories! But also how simple it is to change my mindset and make intentional choices to serve future goals.

Today I peeled my exhausted self out of bed to visit friend who has been largely housebound for several years. It’s been hard to find a clear day when we are both well and I have access to a car but we finally did it! I turned down proper lunch as fasting but we ate light salad of carrot/cucumber/tomatoes and some berries. I was going to visit another friend on the way home but the heavens opened with torrential rain so we came straight back. Early supper was sweet potato/spinach and pea dahl, quorn ‘chicken’ and cauliflower with nutritional yeast, followed by an apple and dried mango. 792 calories and the kitchen is closed.

I unpacked my box of fruit and veg this afternoon, my first oddbox since before my mum died. The fruit and veg is all ‘odd’ and surplus, so lots of tiny apples and pears, very large courgettes etc. It feels good to have a heap of colourful fruit and veg to encourage healthy eating over the next week.

I’m feeling a little less puffy than I was on Monday morning but not expecting to see much in the way of results on my Friday weekly weighday. Early days, baby steps, but heading in the right direction.

@jaifaim @funshipfreddie thank you – it’s good to be here
    @bert1802 welcome back! I landed on Monday after a year away, 18lbs heavier but determined to make progress 🙂 I’m glad to be travelling with you again.
    @northgeorgia what a tragedy for the community. Best of luck with your event – you’ve got this!

I’ve caught up with 2 days’ posts – goodness what a lot is happening – now heading to bed. Go well fellow fasters

2nd Post

Today turned into a FD600 and included an 8mile/13km hike 😇

Out early tomorrow to help DD with her dog walking business so will post a bit later in the day

I’m just back from book club and in need of some 😴

Day 6 NZ NFD 70.6kg

I had a big breakfast of muesli and sourdough with m’mlade and tea to start the day.
    I have a radio interview about the exhibition coming up at 10am for the Auckland University radio arts programme later in the day. I’ve just seen a rainbow 🌈 in the sky so I know my boys are lurking… Today is the 3rd anniversary of Billy’s death. I’m so glad he died in Spring because somehow it seems more positive and forward looking.

@stitchincarol I was going to go back and read your posts because I hadn’t clocked the passing of your MIL but you’re in preparatory mode…!
    I’d love a carrot cake recipe. I usually make the Silver Palate carrot cake which is huge!!
    @at the Italian apple cake sounds lovely too. I’m not very familiar with Italian baking recipes.
    That was a great walk you did. Feeling fit and strong is a great feeling of self containment, I think.
    @michelinme Good on you making such healthy food choices.
    I hope your DD recovers well from her surgery before the onset of chemo. The support team – you – need to take extra care of yourself too😊
    @brightonbelle At least we don’t have hard water… I clean the soap off with elbow grease combined with the natural orange based De-Solv-it , made in Australia. My backsplash in the kitchen is also charcoal slate. It is fantastic – easy to wipe down and doesn’t reflect light so you can’t see sticky marks!!
    @funshipfreddie Probably the photo!! You’ll be teaching mosaics soon😄
    The royal kids have Māori titles not English… I know the younger son is a tattoo artist now The elder used to accompany his father on official trips but had a troubled past and married a wife no one approved of and is stripped of his title.
    There was only one real choice – their sister, or someone from another tribe.
    @northgeorgia Well done!
    I was saddened by the news of another school shooting… I did listen intently to the accents of the people interviewed and thought you must have the same accent!!😃
    @missybear Your house and location sound lovely. Are you going to stay in the area?
    Time to get rolling!!

Steely RESOLVE one and all!

Day 6 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.2 kg

I had a good FD & clocked up + 9000 steps, despite the cold, cloudy & windy day. It doesn’t feel like spring yet.
    I’m reading Gary Taubes’ book – The Case for Keto. It’s interesting, but he really waffles on. Why get a point across in one chapter when you can fill four? I’ve got no intention of adopting a keto diet, but I’m working on reducing how many carbs I consume to reduce hunger & to be generally healthier. I think I could manage around 100 g per day, which is still considered low-carb. The average person has about 250 – 300 g per day. Counting carbs is easier than counting calories too. If you aim to eat low-carb, it seems like you automatically eat less, reduce cravings & so consume less calories. And combining low-carb with intermittent fasting is a thing. LCIF – a new acronym is born! https://betterme.world/articles/low-carb-intermittent-fasting/

@missybear – I hope the viewing was a success? 🤞🤞

@at – thank you! It’s going to take weeks to finish that pot. Once a week isn’t enough. It’s addictive. Maybe I should go to the Saturday morning class too. Or I guess I could bring it home & work on it here.

@merryapple – a radio interview?! Were you nervous? I’m sure I would’ve been. I hope it went well.

Happy Fri-yay! 🍹

Day 6 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 231 lbs. The ceremony went well last night. I’m off in about 15 minutes to do a presentation at a local school, then comping my time from yesterday to come back home 🙂

Yesterday was OMAD, from what I could remember, and I’m down more after that NFD than any of my FDs this week. I have some more “interruptions” this month, but not until after mid-September, so this should give me time to start bumping into the 220s again.

Day 6 UK CD

A sense of achievement today as I measure the effect of 4 days back on the waggon…. I’m down just over 2lbs to 193lb and have lost 0.5″ from my bust, BMI is down by 0.3. After a week that started by going up that feels like good gentle moves in the right direction 🙂

I know from previous rodeos that losing 5-6lb/month is pretty straightforward at the beginning when there’s plenty to go – I went from 178lb to 147lb in 7 months when I first started here. A longer journey this time but I’ll get there, a day at a time.

Today is another transition day – picking up some project work emails and practical actions that are needed for the next week. It’s a very grey and gloomy day here and all very depressing; realising that I am fairly low and need to lighten the load and look for support. Meanwhile the challenge is not to think about food as a compensation, reward or medicine – my brain is very good at leading me astray!

I’ve extended yesterday’s fast to now, breaking with scrambled eggs and salad. Planning cauliflower cheese with mushrooms, spinach, broccoli and courgettes for supper, berries & vegan yogurt with cacao and dates for pudding. I bought 3 pots of yogurt to make 3 loaves of bread for two events this weekend and now only need to make one loaf so plenty to use up!

@at it sounds as tho you are right back in the rhythm. I love hearing stories of your activities, exercise and baking

@merryapple thank you – I’m beginning to do that. Today worked out I need to step down as a charity trustee from one organisation which is facing a year or so of upheaval and I just don’t have the capacity to help them through this stage. Now looking for other things I can let go… When you start to rebalance in one area of your life the rest becomes a bit clearer – i hope!

@funshipfreddie I’ve got the FD800 keto book which does similar things with LOTS of recipes

@northgeorgia that sounds great – well done! Amazing how weight loss lands – and doesn’t

It seems quiet here today; I hope everyone is well

Day 6 UK CD

Out for a few drinks this evening, but I’m watching carefully I don’t want to undo all my hard work this week

Don’t be in a rush to finish your mosaic @funshipfreddie , just enjoy the process

Oooh a media star in our gang @merry🍎 Hope your anniversary day went well 🌈

I saw your post before I’d caught up on the news @northgeorgia – how terrrible

Excellent start @michelinme Well done , but please do take care of yourself 💕 Youre right it is quiet , everyone has such busy lives , may see a few over the weekend ?

Day 6 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

You know, last Saturday, my weight was 160.4 and on Friday morning–following a WF, remember–the scale read 158.8. I was sure that low Friday weight (that startled me!) would make accomplishing my one pound loss for this week that much easier, and was thrilled at what I took to be surety of this week’s one pound loss. Well. This morning, I’ve only pulled off 159.6 rather than last week’s 158.8. I will almost certainly be up at least a pound tomorrow after eating at all normally today. So, I’m making plans for how minimally I’ll eat today, but am quite disappointed my pound-a-week loss has been derailed this week. A good reminder that loss is not linear, and regardless of what the scale says, I feel much better for the month of focused eating, and my belly is slowly shrinking, so I’ll still manage to continue on.

I’m struggling to be at peace while we wait for my MIL to pass. She’s never liked me (my FIL liked me even less…I never really understood why, but perhaps I’m not quiet and restrained enough??) so there’s no closeness to make it hard, but there’s still plenty of sorrow and no compensating joy at the lovely memories–you know? And then not to know when my DD should pack up her girls and write her substitute teacher lesson plans and drive the 10 hours… Okay, end of rant; I’ll work at regaining peace and patience.

@michelinme Nice 2lb start to your new journey! I’m glad you had such a lovely visit with your DD and then with your friend. What about work? Are you on vacation right now? Ahh, just read today’s post and you mentioned some work stuff. I’m taking that to mean work isn’t as stressful right now as it sometimes has been in the past, a very good thing!

@at Well done on your unexpected FD600 and long, long walk! Have fun today on the beach with your DD!

@merryapple Hugs to you as you are particularly aware today/yesterday of Billy’s passing.

@funshipfreddie It’s fun to see you becoming firmly addicted to mosaic work. Beware of going on Sturdays as well, and also bringing it home, because then the need to decide what’s next will arrive that much sooner… 😂

@northgeorgia I’m glad it all went well last night–that was never in doubt, right??? 🥰 And well done on eating minimally enough that you’re down this morning!

DH has left to go spend an hour or two at his mom’s bedside. I decided not to go this time so I could work on tax bookkeeping, and feel like I’m in control of something, even if it’s not something that’s at all joyful, LOL!

So, I’m off to immerse myself in paperwork. Have a grand one, everyone, and remember:

You are far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way.

I’m holding this close to me today, and plan to make the day OMAD, and then enjoy a dozen oysters on the half shell and a few hush puppies and a cold glass of crisp white wine tonight. No veggies in that plan, sadly, but low calories at least. Perhaps I’ll add in a tossed salad?

Day 6 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

@stitchincarol daily fluctuations in weight can be so disappointing, take heart in that it happens to us all and often there is no justice in what the scales say.

@funshipfreddie the people who viewed yesterday definitely like the house, it was their second time viewing us, but they seem undecided about the area, they are also looking at properties in other parts of the UK.

@merryapple we moved to Wales when I retired almost 9 years ago. In recent years I have become homesick for the people and countryside we left behind in central England and DH is happy to move back especially since he has recently experienced the poorly resourced local health service resulting in 3 hour road trips for scans and treatment, so if/when we sell we are homeward bound 🙂

My clothes are feeling less snug today so I’m encouraged to maintain some degree of discipline over the weekend 😉 🍷

Day 6 – UK – TDEE

Weight this morning 63.4kg……a loss of 1kg as a reward for a very controlled week…..now to make sure that the weekend does not undo that promising start……

Boy was it hot dog walking on the coast with DD this morning, we had to cut the late morning ones a bit short….just too hot for the 🐕 although they enjoyed a cooling swim in the sea

Really enjoyed the iced coffee mid morning…..just what was needed then we had a 😋 light pub lunch sitting outside in the shade at the end before I headed back home….late afternoon now and it’s still very hot……

Planning on a salad for tea, small portion for me to keep me within my TDEE

Another hot, sunny day to look forward to tomorrow so will definitely be out for a good hike early morning before it gets too hot

We have a Spanish seafood feast planned for our evening meal tomorrow and we have friends, another couple, joining us…….@michelinme in view of your comment, I thought I would share what we are having… …Starting with various tapas – Gazpacho – Hake croquetas with allioli – Grilled Octopus, creamy paprika mash, pimentón, jamón & pine nut picada – Main of Prawn canelones served with a salad of Little Gem lettuce, capers, lemon dressing – Dessert is a Tarta de Santiago with orange cream – I hasten to add that all for me will be small servings but I will definitely be aiming for OMAD to limit the damage 🤣 and for those keen cooks amongst us the recipes are from José Pizarro who is a Spanish chef, widely credited with popularising Spanish cuisine in the UK in the late 1990s…..he has various restaurants in London, worth checking his style of cooking on line if you like Spanish cooking
    Sunday will definitely need to at least a CD if not a FD800 🤣 to make up that feast!!!!

@funshipfreddie – no rush with the mosaic – half the fun is in the making so enjoy the process as someone else said
    @stitchincarol – I had to google “hush puppies” they are a make of shoes here in the UK 🤣

I’m off to investigate the fridge to see what will go into that healthy salad – will need to add extra protein and some carbs of sort to OH’s portion….

USA. Day 6. FD

Another busy FD. Being busy helps me stay on track. I didn’t see a pocket list, so I will start one.

Pocket List Day 6

@ccco

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Day 7 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@michelinme – thanks! I found a sample of that book that I downloaded ages ago, but then never got around to reading, duh?

@at, @brightonbelle – I agree, you can’t rush a mosaic anyway. When I heard the class was 4 hours long, I thought, ‘what am I going to do for 4 hours?!’ Those 4 hours fly by, & it totally absorbs you. But not a lot gets done. @at – I also thought, ‘edible Hush Puppies?!’ 😂

@stitchincarol – um, you’re right. The extra driving & expense of a Saturday lesson puts me off anyway. So I might just bring home a smaller project to work on. There’s someone else at the class working on a snowman & I’d like to make one as a Christmas gift/decoration. I don’t think I’ll run out of ideas anytime soon though. There are about 70 houses in this village, & I think they all deserve a mosaic 😂 I can understand your inner conflict re your MIL. But your DD, unless she was particularly close to her grandmother – does she feel obliged to make such a long trip at a moment’s notice, with small children & her job to take into account? Or maybe it’s insensitive for me to even think that..?

It’s a lovely sunny day here, so I’m off to make the most of it before the wintery rain returns tomorrow.

Have a good weekend everyone 🌤🌈

Day 7 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Well controlled food day yesterday but wine servings on the generous side so not much left in the bottle for this evening. Today’s challenge will be not to open another bottle!

Day 7-No. VA USA-FD 800

Weight is stable, no real loss. Not awfully compliant with calorie limits, but no serious gorging, either!
    The excessive carbs cause the problem for me–I feel like it causes “water retention.” I might be making up science there.
    @stichincarol, I have to say I am a bit in @funshipfreddie‘s camp when it comes to funeral travel…my mother used to say, “Funerals are for the living” and I believe that is true. So I guess it comes down to the messages we need to give others about the departed. And since it is your husband’s mother, maybe your daughter feels the need to give support to him? I was fortunate that my mother-in-law always liked me, though we could not have been more different. We lived far away and rarely saw her. (was that the secret??) It was interesting that toward the end of her life, when she had dementia, she clearly recognized me and my young adult son, but did not appear to recognize my husband (her son) or my daughter. We couldn’t figure that one out.
    The cats have now established that they live in our upstairs bathroom, and only venture out for a rare excursion into our bedroom. We spent some time readying the “cat barn” the other day, which is a very large shed near the house with a “cat door”, lots of shelves, air conditioning, etc. I will be happy to move them there soon…
    Have a good day, all!

Day 7 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 158.8

Well. All my whining and fretting yesterday was for naught, as I’m down further than I was yesterday morning! I managed to stay the course through the day and didn’t eat until we got to the restaurant, and I stuck to the planned side salad (huge and yummy), a dozen oysters on the half shell, and two and a half of the five hush puppies–DH insisted on splitting them exactly, LOL. I stretched it a bit by having two glasses of white wine instead of one…but they seemed to be VERY small glasses, LOL! Today, the two black dresses I ordered from Amazon arrive, since what I otherwise would have worn for the funeral is still too snug on me to feel acceptable, and the other option I have feels a bit too much like a party dress, although it’ll be acceptable if neither of the dresses I ordered work out.

And later this morning, I’ll know when I’ll be wearing one of those dresses, as my MIL quietly passed away at 8:40 last night. We mourn her passing but are glad the vigil is over.

Today is a Caesar salad for lunch and a BLT for supper, so not super low in calories, but yummy enough to stave off snacking on anything else, and not wild enough in calories and still small enough in quantity not to make too huge an impact on the scales tomorrow.

@missybear Clothes that feel less snug are one the great rewards of this lifestyle, so well done!

@at I chuckled when you mentioned shoes–we have the same brand in the States, and it didn’t even hit me to specify. Does the UK have the fried cornmeal balls we call hush puppies?

@ccco Are you fasting every single day??

@funshipfreddie My kids always felt loved by their grandma, so my daughter wants to come. Plus, she gets three days Bereavement by her school, as does her firefighter husband, so the only hardship is the last minute issue, which is now resolved since the funeral will be later in the week. Plus, once you’re past the funeral part, which can be painful, we’ll be at the luncheon part and Maggie hasn’t seen her cousins in five or more years, and her kids are the same age as some of the other kids, so it will be such fun–fun she doesn’t want to miss. But kind of you to ask. 😉

@excelsior12309 That your mother liked you was indeed a blessing, and how odd, indeed, that she recognized you and your son, but not your daughter and her son; there’s no rhyme or reason, is there? I was so excited to have “parents” close by (literally: they were a mile away at first and then a block away when we bought a different house a few years later) when DH and I married, and so broken hearted when they were so indifferent to me, and later became clear in their dislike of me. When my MIL first started experiencing dementia, DH and I were visiting her one day, and when she saw me, her face lit up. DH was not yet in sight, so I eventually decided it was because she recognized that she knew me, but didn’t remember precisely who I was, so gave me that response. I actually looked behind me to see if someone there was who she was so pleased to see, LOL. It was a lovely moment…

And in the middle of all this, the tax bookkeeping is nearly complete, whoop-whoop!!

Day 7 – UK – NFD

A lovely 6mile walk today – met with a friend and her lovely dog Nell at Wray Castle to explore the area a bit more followed by a 😋 Berry smoothie in the sunshine and I decided to accept a lift back home instead of walking back (another 3.5miles)

@stitchincarol – no we don’t have the fried cornmeal balls that you call hush puppies 🤣

I’m looking forward to our friends visiting and enjoying our mini Spanish feast this evening…..I always love having lots of small plates to sample an we have some lovely English Sparking wine cooling in the fridge to enjoy on this lovely late summer’s evening……

Hope everyone is also having a good weekend

Day 7 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾
    Day 6 – 153 lbs

Hello everyone – just a quick check in from me… I’m busy this weekend as will be away for the next two so lots to do. I didn’t get much done yesterday or get to check in as our weather was just glorious..😁

I’ve just skimmed through posts as time is being eaten up here for me but will relax later and have a read…
    Welcome back @bert1802!

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 7 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 232 lbs. Have a great weekend!

USA. Day 7. FD

I haven’t weighed myself yet, so I hope my FDs are working!

Day 8 NZ NFD 70.7kg

I’m in preparation mode for my South Island holiday. I leave the house at 6am tomorrow morning.😎
    I’m not sure where y’day went but here I am today!!

Y’day I visited Billy’s gallery then went to see a sad exhibition of Derek Jarman’s paintings and photographs of him. He was a beautiful English film maker who was diagnosed with AIDS in 1986. His father was born in NZ and moved the family back to England before he was born. His paintings were full of the frustration of being ill and dying young…
    I had my Texan friend over for dinner. His older sister died from what sounded like, to me, an inter-operative stroke while having heart bypass surgery. He tried to watch her funeral but they didn’t turn the sound on and the camera was focused the whole time on the Southern Baptist pastor standing at his lecturn so he couldn’t see her coffin, flowers or people… I guess they don’t really understand what it is to be live away from family at times like this… Someone would have done better using an iPhone…
    @stitchincarol That’s tough being a DIL who doesn’t measure up… My mother was a wee bit like that towards my little bro’s wife initially but she got over herself after a few years once there were grandchildren!! I think It’s about them and how they view their precious sons, not the DIL (if they’re good humans!!).
    I don’t know about being a media star @brightonbelle! It’s more like business as usual installing exhibitions and doing interviews. But now I have to be “Billy Apple”. Luckily I worked closely with him so I think to myself “What would Billy do or say?” and go forward from there.

I have to get going!! I’m juggling washing, tidying and packing…

Steely RESOLVE to everyone esp ME😀

Day 8, NFD, Aus

Had a fun mini-vacay in Newcastle over the weekend. Lovely city, and great wine lunch at the nearby Hunter Valley vineyards. A FD tomorrow is very much needed.

School shootings; so very very sad.

@brightonbelle – NDS – such a typo!! That should have been NFD. (My fingers appear to have been one key to the right!)

Great resolve @michelinme. And as you say, it’s so easy to quickly build up the calories. I had no idea that 50g of salted peanuts (which I could devour by the handful) was 300 calories until @funshipfreddie (who just took the fun out of it) pointed it out.

Despite your work challenges, and the sad news of the school shooting, you’re doing well @northgeorgia! Keep it up!

Oh yum, @at. I think I just ingested a thousand calories just reading about your Spanish feast!

I’ve lived in the States and still had to google-remind myself what are hush puppies. I also think of footwear first.

@stitchincarol – my condolences. Your posts have such beautiful pathos. It must be hard to lose someone you’ve never had a close relationship with, but still be able to recognise the close connection and importance your MIL had with the rest of your family. I’m sure the family catch up will be lovely.

It’s been a big week for you too @merryapple but your positivity is shining through.

Day 8 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@ccco – you seem to be doing a lot of fasting?!

@merryapple – bon voyage! I hope you have a lovely time. But, you’re not driving the whole way, are you?

@stitchincarol – a nice number! It sounds like you have an eventful week ahead; I hope everything goes as planned. I’m sure every family has similar tales of complicated relationships with family members, both immediate & extended. I could write a book about my two sisters-in-law & their completely different relationships with my parents. One was as close to them as a real daughter could’ve been. And the other, well, I could only describe her as a sociopathic whack-job.

@penz – salted peanuts! 😅 My kryptonite. I bought a 400 g bag a few days ago. The giant variety. They talk to me every time I open the cupboard where they’re stashed. So far the bag is still sealed 😇

I’m going nowhere today. Very blustery out there, & rain expected a bit later. So a spot of cleaning, & then a lazy, solitary afternoon with just my cat & my Kindle.

Happy S🌞nday y’all! Hop on the list, plenty of room 😉

Pocket List – Day 8 🥚
    @funshipfreddie

Day 8 – UK – TDEE

Our meal last night was delicious 😋 and it was lovely to catch up with old friends from the south who are visiting the area – I have to admit that I did not have any of the desert and tried to keep to small servings so even though I most certainly was well above TDEE…….it was not as disastrous a day, food wise, as it could have been and my walk of around 6miles/9.6km made me feel a bit better about the overindulgence 🤣

Out early today for a 5.5miles/8.8km walk with another friend and coffee in her garden afterwards – made it back home before the predicted rain arrives this afternoon!!

@merryapple – enjoy your holiday – something lovely to look forward to after that emotional week for you
    @stitchincarol – my thoughts are with you and your OH and family about the loss of your MIL – sounds like it might be a blessed release
    @penz – my exact thoughts about the calories in that meal……🤣 but I made sure that I had small serves of each to minimise the damage 🤣
    @funshipfreddie – dry roasted peanuts here!!!!

Going to find something healthy for a light lunch and we have mackerel for dinner tonight – doing Jamie Oliver’s crispy-skinned mackerel with asian-inspired dressing for dinner and we have the left over of that Tarta de Santiago with orange cream from last night

“Just one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.”

USA. Day 8. FD

I am, FUNSHIPFREDDIE. I am still unable to do much exercise, so I am trying to find ways to lose and not gain weight!

Pocket List – Day 8 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @ccco

Hope everyone is enjoying a lovely weekend! 🙂

Day 8 UK CD

Well that our first week done , let get ready for week 2

Pocket List – Day 8 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @ccco

Day 8 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 233 lbs. Tomorrow will be a FD for me 🙂

Day 7 UK CD
    Day 8 UK NFD

Dropping in to catch up with posts and post. I’ve had two Loooooong days; last night i came home so tired that just ate and went to bed tout de suite!

yesterday day out at E Sussex coast with a gang of women friends. We were ladies who lunch then went to visit resident friend who was at home with a bad cold – she was feeling better but we kept the door open, and I kept my distance! I had resisted breafast and train snacks then plumped for gf sandwich of goat’s cheese and red onion marmalade with salad – the only gf veggie thing on the menu. After a longish walk around the natural harbour we had tea and mini cakes (or mini twix, in my case) and put the world to rights before heading home. Train delays meant it was scrambled eggs and bed for me – not the most balanced day, but I woke up weighing the same as Saturday morning!

This morning left early for full day of church/workshop/party, celebrating 10 years of one group’s work. Although I ate lots of salad lunch inc three thin slices of my homemade gf oat/pumpkin seed/linseed/apricot/cardamom loaf and a small piece of gf vegan chocolate cake. I’m about to have late supper of baked sweet potato/mozzarella/spinach and a baby apple, then bath and bed.

@stitchincarol I’m sorry for the loss of your mother-in-law and all she was to your family; and sad that she didn’t know and love you. I just love the story of her face lighting up to see you once dementia had taken hold: I had a similar experience with a very angry woman colleague who had barely tolerated me, but occasionally lit up to see me during her dementia years.

@at @funshipfreddie glad it’s not just me googling hushpuppies! And I first thought of bassett hounds…

Onwards and downwards to Monday morning.. @merryapple wishing you travelling mercies and good adventures

Day 8 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

I weighed 160.6 this morning, which again was only about a 1 pound loss overnight–for years, it’s always been 2 pounds overnight, so I don’t know why my body is being weird. Regardless, both 160.6 or a pound lower are equally good numbers, and I’m not shooting up in weight, so I decided this morning to shrug and be happy about it.

After church, DS27 helped me in the basement to do the tidying I’d asked him to help me sort out. But he was home an hour before I was, and got started the way he thought we should do it…which was THOROUGHLY. Poor boy: I was devastated when I got home and saw how much he’d pulled out and how deep he was sorting, and only barely managed not to sob as I fretted about how much time it was going to take to sort through everything. There was lots of hugging and soothing on his part, and reassuring he’d do most of the work, and he DID. So instead of the 30-40 minutes I was planning on, we spent three HOURS (or more?) and certainly got a lot done. I didn’t cook our noon meal until 2:30, and now DH and I are waiting for the Cowboy Casserole to come out of the oven so we can take it to a party of colleagues. We’ll be late there, but oh well, eh? The basement is in AMAZING shape, so I’m glad he pushed me to be so in-depth.

And so goes my life these days. Tomorrow we meet to clean out my MIL’s room and bring home an atique dresser no one else wants. We don’t actually have room for it, but I’m hoping it will work in our retirement home, so we’ll find a way to fit it in now.

Thanks for being my friends, everyone.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Day 9, FD, Aus

Another windy day and just back from a relatively shortish 4km walk with the dogs. I’ll have to take them back out this evening to make up for it!

It’s a FD and I am staying busy, so must rush off!

Day 9 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.2 kg

Had an easy, mostly hunger-free FD. But I was way too sedentary & only managed 3500 steps. So it’s a minimum 9000 for the next few days to make amends 💪

@stitchincarol – well done on that marathon, 3 hour clean-up! What are you stashing down there in your basement?! 😅 Did you manage to get rid of anything, or did you just rearrange it? I know how hard it is to let go of stuff, after all my recent moves. But it feels so good once it’s done.

@ccco – thanks for joining me on that very short list 😅 Exercise isn’t the best way to lose weight, although it helps with maintaining. If you can get out to walk & stick to your regular FDs you’re doing plenty. You need to enjoy your NFDs too 🤗

Pocket List – Day – 9 🍓
    @penz
    @at
    @merry🍎
    @missybear
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56

Day 9 UK f800

Well done Sunday fasters , that’s what I call commitment 💪

Week 2 , I’m happy with most of my week , as usual relaxed too much at the weekend but with a few tweaks I’d be happy , and luckily I have this week to try again

Pocket List – Day – 9 🍓
    @penz
    @at
    @merry🍎
    @missybear
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle

Day 9 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 236 lbs. Man, I remember the 216 lb days… got to get back.

Pocket List – Day – 9 🍓
    @penz
    @at
    @merry🍎
    @missybear
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle

Day 9 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾

Hi all, my weekend was busy as had lovely times spent with mum before I head off on holidays. It is great to have the holiday to look forward to, and I am very excited (and need it) but I worry as I’ll be so far away but I can get back if I need to 🙏
    @stitchincarol I am so very sorry for your loss 💕 and glad that you had some lovely moments recently with your MIL. Dementia is such a heartbreaking disease for everyone. 💕💕 we are here for you!
    @merryapple how sad for your poor friend… and such a shame that the tech failed… it’s so easy to get it right these days… 😢 Have a fabulous holiday! We aimed to drive the length of both islands many years ago but ran out of time! I never did get to Milford Sound, Dunedin and that beautiful part of the country but I loved all that I saw there ♥️ one day I’ll make it back…
    I’m going to apologise now for patchy posts over the coming weeks… I’m leaving Thursday but know how it goes before getting away from work/life and then will be busy having holiday fun so will check in from time to time but not posting regularly.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List – Day – 9 🍓
    @penz
    @at
    @merry🍎
    @missybear
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle
    @jaifaim

Day 9 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 FD

My weekend discipline wasn’t perfect, but good enough 😉
    I’m having some twinges of back pain today which is probably my body telling me I have been sitting around too much over the weekend. So much heavy rain I haven’t been out walking enough, but today is brighter so I must get out and hopefully walk away the pain 🤞

Happy Monday everyone 🤗

Pocket List – Day – 9 🍓
    @penz
    @at
    @merry🍎
    @missybear
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle
    @jaifaim

Day 9 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Despite attending a party last night, I ate quite reasonably and entirely skipped the desserts (partly aided by them not looking in the least interesting to me…why do people bother baking such dull desserts??? 🤣) and was 161.0 this morning when I was up way early, and again when I was up an hour later. Then I weighed once more, just because I was so pleased…and was 161.6! LOL, you just never know what your body is going to do, and fickle scales don’t help! Regardless, I’m not back up at 163, so I’m delighted.

I’ve gone down to admire the basement multiple times since yesterday. @funshipfreddie, I used to buy cooking magazines multiple times each month, and I never got rid of any of them. They’re almost all gone now, and piled all on top of each other, they’d have been as tall as I am! We also got rid of a piece of furniture, assembled a wire shelving unit I bought two years ago but couldn’t figure out where to put it, and put it where the donated piece went. Then all that had been on the floor, finally had a shelf to live on. There’s still much to sort through– most of it to toss, I imagine–but it’s a vast improvement. Beyond looking better and feeling better, the granddaughters won’t find nearly so many things to touch and explore when they go downstairs to the bedroom they’ll be sharing with their parents, LOL!

Today’s a busy day, so must scoot. @ccco I echo what @funshipfreddie says! ❤️ Your body needs nutrition to heal, and FDs help us lose weight, but part of your recovery process requires excellent nutrition, which is not possible on FDs.

We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline wieghs ounces while regret weighs tons. –Jim Rohn

I’m planning on the pain of discipline today.

Today I cycled to my favourite bicycle shop,I know the owner as he always services my bicycle. I hadn’t been there for 5 weeks (before I started 5/2).
    The first thing he said to me was “hello, how are you. You have lost weight, your stomach and face much smaller”. I was in cloud 9 to hear this, as I could never loose weight. I have lost 5kg and have the weight I had in 2017. Another 5 to go.

Dat 8 UK FD

Loooong day number 3 now done- phew. Desk time, church friend’s funeral/reception, recorded interview/conversation for upcoming online conference, helped to host an evening lecture. Despite serving coffee at lunch and pouring wine this evening, I resisted all temptation xc two small glasses of orange juice. I’ve had a late supper of dahl from the freezer and dried mango – result!

Already I can feel my energy and focus increasing especially on FD; I’m sleeping better and not quite so wiped out, even after 3 long days. Cutting out sugar and most carbs is rebalancing something that needs it…

Tomorrow is a mix of rest and desk tho sadly with a 3 hour evening meeting! Depending on energy in the morning I may pull another FD tomorrow and hold off until evening soup/fruit supper…

@jaifaim good luck with the pre-holiday concertina! it is hard leaving elderly parents behind and going away – but you’ve done what you can, she’s in good hands, and if you really needed to you could come straight back

@stitchincarol I’m envying your tidying – and your DS27! Does he hire out? 😀

Pocket List – Day – 9 🍓
    @penz
    @at
    @merry🍎
    @missybear
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle
    @jaifaim
    @michelinme

Day 10, NFD, Aus

Another successful FD makes me wonder why I stop this WOL for so many months this year. It’s odd; I am not at my heaviest weight, but my fat seems to have shifted and relocated to new parts so that I *look* fatter than ever. Another reason I don’t like going by the scales!

A gorgeous spring day here – with very very light wind! I’m trying to work out where to take the dogs – I’m lucky there are so many possible walking options out my front door, but I am scared of coming across snakes which excludes some of the narrow bush trails.

Then I really should channel @stichincarol and her son’s efforts and clean out some cupboards. I know I won’t, but I’ll think about it!

Day 9, second post

I laughed out loud at your post, @michelinme, and grinned at yours, @penz. Yup, he’s a keeper!

DH mowed the lawn today while I did an hour of weeding, then we drove the hour again to help clean out my MIL’s apartment, then brought home the “treasures” we collected and have been sorting them out and putting them away…it’s been a LONG day and I’m rather weary.

Everything is moving at warp speed right now, and I’d rather be able to relax a bit, but it’s also lovely to accomplish so much. I’ve not eaten like a crazy woman, but I certainly allowed food to be my comfort and reward–so, in other words, not a lot of discipline for me…but I’m pretty much okay with that, given all we’ve tackled today and the huge level of emotions involved.

In the morning, I may post, but if I don’t, I thought I’d post tonight. I’ll be WFing tomorrow!

Day 10 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

I set my alarm for 6:45 am, but the fuzzy four-legged alarm woke me at 6:15 am. Thanks Boo Boo. A lovely & sunny day, but so cold! 🥶️

@davinac – well done! 5 down, 5 to go! 💪🎯

@stitchincarol – isn’t it crazy, the stuff we hold onto? I used to buy souvenir shot glasses when I was working on the ships. For 15 years, every time I visited a new port I’d buy one. I had them lined up on the window sills of EVERY room in my apartment. Dust magnets, that’s all they were. When I sold that place I could’ve kicked myself whilst I was packing them all up. I donated virtually all of them to a charity shop & just kept my favourite six – from Florida, Ireland, Montreal, New Zealand & New York, + one with the Holland America logo.

“You will NEVER eat sugar again after watching this video…” Or maybe you will; but it won’t kill you to watch this 7 minute clip. Interesting..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpo_Iv4EN98

Day 10 already?! Gotta dash, mosaic/laundry day 🧺️

Pocket List – Day 10 🥦
    @stitchincarol WFD

Day 10 – Ireland – CD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾

Morning all
    Well done @stitchincarol on achieving so much. It’s a wonderful feeling!
    Well done @penz – so glad being back with us is helping with the mojo ⭐️ and for you too @michelinme ⭐️. I am so sorry for your loss 💕 there has been so much sadness this year. Thank you for your lovely kind words. And so very wise 💕💕
    And bravo @davinac 👏
    @funshipfreddie it’s weird for sure and when you stop collecting I’m sure it’s like any breaking any other habit. So liberating! I’ve never collected ornaments etc but did have a bit of an issue with shoes 👠😂
    @flourbaby how are you settling in?
    Off to get a good days work in 🙏

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 10-No. VA USA-FD

Weight has stagnated, but I identify mindless snacking over the past few days as the culprit. I am taking inspiration and determination from all of you fellow fasters! I am about 8 pounds from my goal, so would like to drop 2 # in the rest of this month. Surely do-able with proper focus!
    @stichincarol, I get a ridiculous amount of satisfaction cleaning and organizing things, particularly the long-neglected areas of the house and property. So I am vicariously enjoying your cleared out basement!
    @michelinme, I agree that reducing the sugar and carbs contributes to feeling better overall. So, I need to DO that again!
    Onward and downward, as @jaifaim says!!

Pocket list day 10:
    @stichincarol
    @excelsior12309

Day 10 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 233 lbs. ZBC this morning, and may make today an OMAD supper.

Day 10 UK FD

This morning my face is looking a little tweaked – hopefully turning the corner from puffy double-chin to essential me! I didn’t weigh until late morning but there’s a hint of v good loss there which is enough to motivate me for a b2b. I set my goal for the month to be easily reachable given how much easier it is at the start, allowing myself time to clamber back on the waggon, but I think I might reach it sooner.

I have papers to read for tonight’s meeting and a lot of emails to reply to/write, then I’m either leaving early and getting a lift part way or an extra hour at home but longer journey around engineering works. Either way there’s more than enough to keep me busy, and I can keep myself hydreated and enjoy the extra focus.

I really appreciate how this WOL has already reset my relationship with food. The fact it’s been so easy to resist sticky cakes and pastries, chocolate bars, sandwiches, gourmet savouries and wine has been wonderful after a long period of mindless, functional or emotional eating. Carrying an apple, a flapjack and some dried mango in my bag really helps me to resist grazing, and knowing there’s food in the fridge ready for me helps me to resist picking up less healthy ‘quick’ food.

Onwards! Wishing strength to today’s fasters

Pocket list day 10
    @stitchincarol WFD
    @excelsior12309
    @michelinme

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 143 total)

You must be logged in to reply.