Jolly June ☀️ 2024 Challenge

This topic contains 245 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  metatauta 50 minutes ago.

Viewing 45 posts - 201 through 245 (of 245 total)

• Day 23 – Ireland – NFD – 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾.
    No idea lbs

Hi all, quickly checking in before I head off. It will be 200km+ today. Longest ride to date. Have eaten a lot ahead of the day so I’m sure my numbers will be affected. So be it… all for a good cause (cancer research) and a personal challenge this summer having lost a great pal this year and with others in treatment. 💕💕

@merryapple super kudos to you on the ATL! 🏆⭐️👏
    Enjoy the holidays @bert1802!! You need them.

I’ll be back later! 🚴🚴🚴

A mindful weekend:
    The Choices You Make Today Will Determine the Quality of Every Tomorrow
    🏹🏹🏹

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 23 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@merryapple – oh, well done you!! 🥳️🎯 and your June goal achieved – a week early!💪 Thanks for the July spreadsheet 🙏 I don’t think I’m really a teacher’s pet 😅 More of a ‘do it right or don’t bother’ type.

@bert1802 – wishing you a very relaxing week off 💆‍♀️

@jaifaim – 200 km?! 🤯 Enjoy! 🚴

A new Chinese clinical trial confirms 5:2 is better than drugs to treat type 2 diabetes:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13554955/5-2-diet-Dr-Michael-Mosley-politicians-celebrities-type-2-diabetes.html

Happy S🌞nday!

Pocket List – Day 23 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia ?

Day 23-No. VA USA-FD 800
    Checking in for accountability. Weight is gradually coming down, I am a pound away from my lowest weight since 2017, when I was faithfully doing 5:2. It does work for weight loss, we just have to persist. I think adjusting my NFD calories lower also helped. The support of the forum helps, too!
    The giant koi just circle the pond like great huge vacuum cleaners…my husband had put in many very small fish a few weeks ago, and now he is concerned these un-anticipated monsters may eat the little guys. I guess time will tell…
    @funshipfreddie, your line dancing sounds fun, and I congratulate you on perfecting your technique! The teacher should be grateful to have at least one student who is on the beat!
    @bert1802, I sincerely hope you are able to get some restful sleep for a few nights…
    @jaifaim, you are a beast with your bicycling. What an achievement that will be!
    @merryapple, I envy your work with the art galleries. I was an art student years ago, and remember those days fondly.
    @stichincarol, it sounds like the visit to the granddaughters was great. Precious times.
    Hoping to stay cool here, weather was 100 degrees yesterday (37.8 C) and likely to be near there today.
    It is draining to be outside for more than 10 or 15 minutes.
    Onward and downward!

2nd Post – Day 23

@excelsior12309 – Adding you to the list. Almost at a 7 year low? Fantastic! Maybe after today’s FD..? 🤞I think I’d be joining the koi in the pond in that heat. Stay cool! 😎

Pocket List – Day 23 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia ?
    @excelsior12309 FD800

Day 23 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 236 lbs. Ewwww! But the way I ate and drank over the last week on vacation, there is no wonder.

I’ve only had water today, and it is now the early afternoon. Usually I do a WFD on Sundays, but I may do a FD500 all week if I can to make up for lost time LOL

Got to find my focus again. I can do FDs. Now I got to work on my NFDs. Maybe the way to go is to treat most of them as FD500s or FD800s until I get back on track.

Pocket List – Day 23 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia ?
    @excelsior12309 FD800

Day 24 NZ FD 71.5kg

I’ll be looking to stabilise my weight for the rest of the week and not go pinging up like I so often do!!
    I had my second shindrix vaccine this morning and my arm hurts😫
    @jaifaim How was the big bike ride? How’s your tush?! And your muscles?!
    @funshipfreddie Well done on getting the steps right!!
    You’re not really contemplating joining a pool with carnivorous Koi, are you????
    That’s interesting about the study and makes perfect sense theoretically. Loosing weight shrinks the size of fat cells (the number of fat cells don’t reduce) which means that insulin can attach more easily to the receptors on the cell walls and allow glucose to move in and out of them.
    @excelsior12309 Well done you!! Can you dispatch that wee pound before @jaifaim‘s tally up at the week’s end?!!
    I’ve planned out what’s in the exhibition but need to source all the works in a full warehouse… Finding a couple will be like looking for a needle in a haystack… I have invited the new American international curator from the Auckland Art Gallery to have a conversation about them and he has accepted, which is great news.
    @northgeorgia It sounds like you were having your last hurrah before committing to 5:2 again!! Now to recall some of the tools we can use – smaller plate, no seconds, good quality food only, no industrialised food, no soft drinks etc etc. You know the drill…
    @stitchincarol You’ll be home by now I imagine and contemplating your yard!!!
    @bert1802 I’m looking forward to hearing about your backyard vacation adventures!!!🤣

Onward and downward, one and all!!
    7 days to go!! The countdown is on!!

Pocket List
    @jaifaim
    @leoniraats
    @merry🍎
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56

Day 23 – USA/TN – NFD

Day 24 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.2 kg

Yay! I do love Monday mornings after a successful FD 😇

@merryapple – I’d take my chances with the koi if it was pushing 40 C! Anyway, I think they only attack people in James Bond movies, & Boo Boo would have my back 😼 Have fun planning the exhibition; sounds like a lot of work?!

@northgeorgia – going in the wrong direction?! As @merryapple said – back to basics. No need to treat every day like it’s a FD; that’s called a diet. RESTRAINT. That’s all you need to work on – restrained NFDs. You need to plan in advance. Even all the functions you go to. You must have an idea of what will be on the menu beforehand? Portion size, skip the carbs/soda & always keep your goal in mind 💪

Our last week of Jolly June. RESOLVE to the Monday fasters 🎯

“Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment” ~ Jim Rohn

Pocket List – Day 24 🍒
    @at
    @jaifaim
    @leoniraats
    @merry🍎
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56

Day 24 UK FD

Last week so aiming to get back on track , I love the words you use @funshipfreddie Restraint Resolve Discipline I just need to start applying them

Pocket List – Day 24 🍒
    @at
    @jaifaim
    @leoniraats
    @merry🍎
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle

Day 24, London, UK, FD800

I’m sooo busy at the moment, I’m just skimming posts!!

Signed ‘the’ contract on Friday and trying to sort finances now…………… despite being at work under a deadline!!🤭 ……………. you can’t do anything on a weekend, I’m one of the lucky ones; my bank opens for a whopping 6hrs/day during the week!!!😏 On a shocking sobering note …………….. My 10% deposit is more than I paid for my ENTIRE flat 25 years ago!! Madness!!😱😱

I hope everyone os fasting strong, I’m doing ok, failing on the water front and had some vino this weekend🤭 just because!!!

Anyway, onwards we go and 🙏🏼🤞🏽🙏🏼🤞🏽 Downwards!!

“Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” — Oprah Winfrey

Day 24, Germany, FD

After a few days of eating different food I’m used to and my weight went up again. Nothing a few FDs this week can’t even out again, it’s mostly water retention.

Thank you all so much for the birthday wishes and the good news ones, we had lovely days together without the stress of having any appointments.

@jaifaim, well done on reaching an ATL, congratulations! How did your cycle challenge go?

@missybear What a pity you can’t buy the house you wanted. It’s so hard to find the right one and being under pressure doesn’t make it easier. My cousin recently bought a house after a very long search but still hasn’t sold the one he’s living in. We think he has to lower the price.

@flourbaby Congratulations on signing the contract, how long will it take before you can move in? I watch „Location, ….“ on Channel 4 and learned there that houses in London are extremely expensive. I hope you’ll find your holiday thunder back soon! I like having breakfast in bed but it’s the first thing I skip when I have to lose weight.

@funshipfreddie Well done! I’m glad we don’t have to do any homework at line-dance class, our teacher likes a bit of chaos, he would miss it if we were all doing well.

@stitchincarol Thank you for adding @merryapple’s post! What is it about your granddaughters names all start with a „M“? A 12-hour drive must be exhausting, I don’t think we’ll ever do that.

@merryapple I’m glad your talk went well. I can only speech in front of people I know well like family or the line-dance group. I don’t think I could get a word out of my mouth in front of a group of strangers. Congratulations on an ATL!

@metatauta I remember you being so good at hula-hooping. I tried it at the sports club an got it instantly but it was the only time I could do it, I’ve lost it again after that.

@excelsior12309 Perhaps the right buyer will show up soon, you never know. Do kois eat other kois? You’re doing really well. I also did well in 2017, my motivation was much better back then.

@brightonbelle How were the bride and the bridesmaids? Bridesmaids in matching dresses are not common in the Netherlands or Germany, I only know it from films.

Pocket List – Day 24
    @at
    @jaifaim
    @leoniraats
    @merry
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby FD800

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 24 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 236 lbs. Yesterday’s FD was a bust… @funshipfreddie is right; I need to return to the basics and get better at NFDs. Yesterday, for instance, I was really craving better nutrition and the family wanted a watermelon. So, I did have a meal, and enjoyed some fresh fruit and vegetables. I guess it was a 3-hour eating window type deal. I didn’t lose any weight over yesterday, but considering all the damage I did in vacation of drinking nearly a liter of soft drink a day (yes, open confession time!!) plus ice cream and chips… it was a free-for-all… well, it will take a few days for the effects to wear off.

Not to fear, the soft drinks made me feel disgusting, and vacation was a good time to remind me of the “buzz” pleasures of junk food that send your body crashing afterwards. So, I plan to return to my abstinence of soft drinks and chips, making it an extremely rare event.

I remember I was able to lose weight in the past even in eating fast food, but I had to plan carefully, by balancing out the very high calories with something light or nothing at the other mealtimes. However, I did find that avoiding fast food did seem to keep me on track.

Oh, I’m delaying the inevitable — it’s back to work after vacation. Time to hit the road. And being in the mid-230s is not acceptable. I’m long past due to be at my goal weight, or even in the 190s. Time to get back on track.

Pocket List – Day 24
    @at
    @jaifaim
    @leoniraats
    @merry
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby FD800

Day 24….. Florida…..NFD

I just wrote a whole post and lost it…… Happy Monday!

The scale did not show me anything this week, not mad at that. I knew going into this I want to focus more on the other markers of success than the scale. Only because in the past, those were better motivator than the scale.
    Before I feel of the wagon into the hole of darkness, my weight plateau for like two months but in those months I lost like 4 dress sizes. So those dress sizes are what I am really focused on.

Today, we are headed to a flea/farmers market that is only open on Mondays. Then to the garden center because hubby is freaking out that the tree that was planted in our back yard about 6 months ago is struggling a bit. I think it’s more that he’s worried about our HOA getting involved. I think the builder planted to soon because it was one of the first ones planted on the block. We built a house in a new development and they planted this tree before my house was in still in building phases.

We’ll be out an about today although it’s a NFD, I’m going to try and make it as controlled as I can and still within my fasting times.

@jaifaim….. have a great ride today.
    @funshipfreddie….. my oldest has Koi fish, in a 100 gallon tank in his living room absolutely beautiful fish. He had to put them in a tank because his chickens would stay out of the pond in his back yard. They have this chicken Kevin, Kevin has got this personality that is not for the faint of heart. But when ever I was on the phone with them, I always heard his wife yelling. Kevin get way from the pond. Kevin leave those fish alone or Kevin stop laying eggs in the pond. I think she was doing it purposely because they named her Kevin.

Well, I must be off. Hubby just left for Mass and he wants to get going as soon as he gets back.

Have a beautiful day my friends

Day 24 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 162.6

Sorry I didn’t post sooner. I was simply that busy yesterday, what with church and then the boys coming up for the entire day, and preparing food for them, and Saturday was my day to try to retain the relaxing pace of our time in Indianapolis…and to pretend I didn’t actually weigh 166 that morning. I weighed 162.2 last Sunday morning before we headed out, and with some thought, I realized that, while I didn’t make stellar eating choices, I did NOT eat an extra four pounds of calories–14,000 or so. So I ate decently enough on Saturday, amazingly decent yesterday given we were having a lovely day with the boys, and my weight this morning is close enough to a week ago that I’m okay with it.

I’m realizing the thing I truly must control is my sweet tooth. It’s become a monster, and all my former tricks for controlling it are doing no good.

I just read all the posts I’d missed, and now I’m daunted at the thought of trying to respond to anything. So how about if I start fresh tomorrow?

In past years, I’ve bought plants to tuck in pots in the ground, and was all done by the end of May if not sooner. This year? Almost no planting has been done at all. Finally, however, I have time and bought everything I need on Saturday (and because it’s so late in the season, it was all 50% off!!), and today is my day to get it all into pots (and a couple things into the ground). Unfortunately, the high today is supposed to be 99/37 and it’s already 84/29 even though it’s only 10:20. Thankfully, most of my planting will happen while I’m sitting on the front porch, which will put me entirely in shade. ☀️🥵🔥 Then starts the daily ritual of watering everything! 😂

@jaifaim I hope your silence doesn’t signify anything other than pure exhaustion after yesterday’s ride!

@northgeorgia Welcome back! That 236 should be EOEO with some focused discipline. And I agree with @funshipfreddie about too many FDs being a diet. But–you know best for your body, so if that’s what’s best, we’ll support and encourage you!

Okay, time to face the heat and get my pots planted.

Have a grand one, everyone!

The Choices You Make Today Will Determine the Quality of Every Tomorrow

Day 24 – Ireland – FD – 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾.
    Still no idea lbs 🙃😂

Hi all, how are you all doing as we head into the final week of June?
    I have not weighed as I’m sure I’ve crept back up over the weekend so pretending I’m still at 152+…
    Thanks all – for the thoughts on the cycle! I’m here… just 😉
    Really quite pleased with myself, so I managed to cover 206kms in 9h30 on the bike (travelling time) and a lovely long day out on the bike with some friends who cycle at the same pace.. just kept pedalling through beautiful countryside once we were out of the city – nice food stops, some ice creams 🍦 and a burger at the finish and no mechanicals which was the worry as when you are 100kms away from home it’s a long way back if there is a problem with the bike. No pain today and feeling good although a little tired.😁 I think that it is more work tiring me than cycling @stitchincarol 😂 The whole day was a lot of fun and with a bit of sun which was just perfect! Finally it feels like summer in Ireland ☀️
    I am very happy to have managed such a distance for a good cause and I really feel I won’t need to do it ever again or at least for a very long time! Let’s see how I am in the next few days 🥴

Now to you all ⭐️⭐️⭐️:
    Congratulations @flourbaby – that’s brilliant news! It doesn’t rain but it pours eh! But hopefully you have managed to get through everything 🙏
    @merryapple super bravo to you on achieving your goal and with a week to go 💪⭐️ ! Oooh watch this space!
    @excelsior12309 one lb away from ATL – so close – go on… you’ll get there 💪💪 we are right behind you!
    @funshipfreddie I hope that halo is still gleaming? 😇
    @metatauta good to see you posting daily 👏
    @stitchincarol good luck with the gardening and potting. Well done on making amazingly good choices 👏
    @bert1802 – dress size is a probably the best marker for gauging weight loss 👗 – I hope the NFD today goes well and is controlled and you had fun at the market.
    Welcome back @northgeorgia! I hope the return to work was not too difficult today. We all drop the ball a little on holidays/vacation but it’s good to hear that you didn’t really actually enjoy the soft drinks – so hopefully it will be easy enough to go back off them. 💪
    @snowflake56 I’m so glad you had a lovely weekend celebrating 🥳. It’s funny I much prefer presenting to people I don’t know
    Rather than those that I do. I would regularly present with work and that’s fine but ask me to stand up in front of family etc and I’m rubbish!
    Ok I have to go now as I’m still in work posting this and have to get home – yes you guessed it… I’m on the bike 😂

Todays FD may not be the wisest decision but going ok so far. Hopefully can keep it going tonight.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List – Day 24 🐠
    @at
    @jaifaim
    @leoniraats
    @merry
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @northgeorgia
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby FD800

Day 25, Germany, NFD

PFDS here, it was a good FD yesterday.

Today it’s going to be a NFD as we’re out for lunch with the “hard” exercise group as the sports school closes for July. At 8:45 we have our ballroom class, it’s just us and the dance teacher, that’s always fun.

@jaifaim I hope your FD went well. I’m in awe about your 206kms cycle, the longest cycling tour I ever did was 35kms. I was never good at cycling, my balance is poor and my reaction time when something happens is too long. It’s interesting you don’t have problems speaking for an unknown audience, I’m glad I never had to do that, it would cause too much anxiety. I tend to faint when I’m too stressed.

Day 25 NZ NFD 72kg

The second dose of Shingrix has given me a viral headache, temperature, sore joints… All in all a crap day…

Here is the recipes for the minty apple cake which I didn’t get to try but by all accounts was delicious. Jordan is an interesting young NZ baker who has now taken her talents to LA.
    https://the-caker.com/jordan/recipes/upside-down-green-apple-and-fresh-mint-cake

Day 25 – Ireland – FD – 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾.
    155lbs

Hi all, as expected … up a little… muscles maybe… or just lots of fuel… it will go back down. Tempted to go for a FD again as have events later in the week.

@merryapple so sorry to hear you are feeling grim… hopefully the day will get better for you 💕
    Do you pay for that vaccine in NZ?

@snowflake56 thanks yes before this the longest was about 155kms and a few years ago nowactually pre-Covid. …that was a group event so lots of riders and support vehicles etc… so this was just a few of us in small groups setting off at different times… I’m very happy.
    I understand the problems you have cycling… it makes all the difference to be honest. I help other cyclists with safety, road position etc and general confidence on the road but it’s not for everyone. The best is if you could use a dedicated greenway or cycle track – so no worries with other vehicles – like the wonderful ones through the black forest. I’d love to do that trip. One day. 💕
    My nephews also faint when stressed so I appreciate why you must manage your stress levels… enjoy the ballroom dance class – it sounds much more fun that what I have in at 8.45… work meeting… boo hoo 😂

Ok a 1 hour walk for me today (will you join me?) and will aim to improve my plank. That’s the goal.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List – Day 25 🚶🏽‍♀️
    @jaifaim

Day 25 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

What a pocket list yesterday?! I hope there’s plenty of PFDS going round today

@flourbaby – congratulations! 🎉🥳️ So that’s it now? It’s in the bag? Do you have a moving date yet? 🏡

@bert1802 – Kevin the chicken?! That’s hilarious 🤣 A housemate of mine back in the ’80’s had a cat called Kevin.

@stitchincarol – well done! Hardly a change in your number after a week away visiting family 🎯 I’m always struggling with my sweet tooth too 🍫

@jaifaim – I don’t know how you resist weighing yourself after that marathon bike ride?! 🚴

@merryapple – feel better soon! 🤗 I’ve had shingles – not nice. So if it’s just a day or so of discomfort it’ll be worth it. Did you have the same experience after the first vaccine?

Gotta dash, have a great day everyone

Day 25, London, UK, NFD

Late on parade, I’ve too much going on and finding it hard to focus on ONE thing at a time!!

@merryapple, feel better soon, vaccines can be a pain, but if you have a mild reaction, you can imagine what it would have been like to actually get the virus!!!😱😱😱 Vaccinations for children have dropped 50% here, absolute madness, saw a woman on tv just this morning saying she’d allowed her kids to have several vaccines but not the one for whooping cough as she “wasn’t sure” but if they started coughing she probably would!!! Huh???😨 ……………… 8 infant deaths in the first quarter of this year, perhaps their parents waited until it was too late too!😥

@funshippfreddie & @jaifaim, not quite in the bag yet, I sent the deposit and signed the contract, once THEY sign (exchange) there’s no going back without big penalties, so perhaps the exchange will be tomorrow🤞🏽🙏🏼🤞🏽🙏🏼 then completion (move-in day) will be within a couple of weeks ……………… although I am off on my hols on the 12th!!😲😜😲

Keep the faith folks!!

“There is more to life than increasing its speed.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Day 25 UK NFD

Pleased that I managed a straightforward FD yesterday bit meh though today , maybe it’s the weather but finding it difficult to get into anything , off to try and get it together x

Day 25……… Florida……..FD

Good Morning Lovelies,

Yesterday was a beautiful day, spent too much money but I guess that happens. I ended up by this beautiful ornate table which I put in my sitting area.
    We also got some fruit and veg at the market, so I last nights dinner, ended up being a big bowl of fruit.

I decided to have an FD today because of the fruit and veg we bought. Nice bowl of fruit when I break my fast and we are having a play on eggplant Parmesan with out the breading for dinner. I’ll make pasta for the hubs but I don’t think I’ll have any.

@stitchincarol……. I used to garden all the time prior to changing this job. Now, I just have pots around that are easy to take care and only need the least amount of water. I miss the peacefulness of gardening.

Well, hubby is off to Mass and it the only quiet time I get my devotional done. I hope you all have the day you need!

Day 25 – USA/GA – ZBC. NFD?

Weigh-in: 233 lbs. Busy day ahead. I may do an OMAD today, maybe a FD, but I just need to return to basics and be extra vigilant on NFDs. So, I’m calling this a NFD but going to attempt better choices.

Day 25 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD – 163.4

DH and I were in Rome in 2019 for three days on our way to an extended tour of Israel, and the thing we remember the most* is that we were sweating and hot the whole time. AC in Europe is never turned as low as Americans do, we’ve since read, and our experience bore that out.

*Well, maybe not the most, because our dinner at a Michelin star restaurant was glorious, our tour guide for the Colloseum was SO good, and it was a wonderful time. But it was hot and we were sweaty, LOL!

That said, I’m very, very grateful for AC and our ability to set it where we want it. All afternoon yesterday/Monday, my outdoor thermometer showed it to be 100/38–in the shade. When I headed to bed around 11 last night, it was 90/32. When I got up to pee at 4am, it was 80/27. UGH. Thankfully, it’s to be a few degrees cooler today, and Wednesday night, it’ll be below 70/21, so sleeping will be much easier. And, as I said, I’m so thankful for AC!

@jaifaim That’s amazing. 206km is approximately 122 miles, and I’m totally dazzled…that would have gotten you almost a fifth of the way to Indianapolis, LOL! And, while you ate a lot from your description, it’s just bulk, and the calories you expended would surely have dispensed with the food calories quite handily! And you biked to and from work today? You are motivated, LOL!

@snowflake56 Oh, fainting when you get too stressed must add a level of stress all in itself! I’m sure that knowledge motivates you to stay calm whenever possible.

@merryapple Oh, I’m so sorry you’re feeling so awful; hopefully it passes quickly!

@funshipfreddie It can be hard to respond to your posts, because you’re so kind about responding to and encouraging everyone else, but the only personal thing you included today is that you also have a sweet tooth and you must dash. So, I hope your sweet tooth is well-behaved today and you have fun with all your dashing! 😉🏃🏼‍♂️

@flourbaby Oh, good grief. It must be so frustrating to be so close to being able to move into your new home–and ALSO have vacation approaching just as fast! Talk about a true need to manage your stress, eh? Nonetheless, congratulations!!

@brightonbelle I’m sad that you’re feeling so blah today. <<<<<@brightonbelle>>>>> There’s a cyber hug for you, hugs being my go-to solution for all things sad.

@bert1802 I have some potted plants also–more, after yesterday’s efforts–but they’re what I struggle the most to keep alive; at least in the ground, the roots can go searching for water, but in the pot, those roots have to rely on me and my kindness, motivation, and memory, LOL! For example, I’ve been awake and up for almost two hours, but still haven’t gotten anything watered. In today’s heat, however, it’s required, so it’ll happen soon.

@northgeorgia I like that approach: call it an NFD, but approach it as something with more discipline. I look forward to tomorrow’s report.

There’s actually lots going on around me–I’ve sent and received several dozen texts while typing this post relating to a power outage at church, the time of a lesson today, a new thermostat for us 😂–and so I really must scoot.

Have a grand one, everyone! Today WILL be my first entirely successful WFD since sometime in May!

Day 25 – USA/TN – FD

Day 26 NZ NFD 71.1kg 🏃‍♀️

My weight is down thanks to my post vaccination pseudo viral illness so I expect to come up… I’m secretly pleased I had a decent reaction because it means my immune system is responding as it should and is not too worn out (which is why COVID takes out so many of the elderly…)@Jaifaim Shingdrix is fully funded here for 65 yr olds. The cost of the vaccine is around 500NZD. Anyone who has had chickenpox is at risk. We, my twin and I, had chicken pox in Boston along with German and English measles all at once. As I say to the young ones, I had to catch the diseases because there were no vaccines available back then… Why would you not want to be vaccinated if you can be?
    Our worst area for unvaccinated kids is an old hippy natural lifestyle “decliners” haunt in Takaka, Nelson at 44%. There is another ” delayers” area in Northland, low socioeconomic (Māori) demographic with difficulties getting to a Dr etc etc. The national average is 6% unvaccinated. The worst kind of influences come via social media and algorithms…
    @jaifaim What an amazing effort! You must have a superior bike seat… 9 1/2 hrs🫢And a whole lot of huge new heavy muscles!!!
    @flourbaby That’s fabulous news! You’ll be able to have a lovely holiday. It’s no longer if, it’s now when!! Are you going to do any work on the interior before you move in?? Yes, I do remember the red dinning room!!
    @snowflake56 And ball room dancing too!! You’re a legend!!
    @funshipfreddie No. The second vaccine will give you the biggest hit… The first vaccine is about your immune system identifying the correct antibody that will bind with the offensive antigen. With the second you get a proliferation of that particular antibody, building up an army at the ready to take on any invading chicken poxes.
    @Bert1806 Kevin the chicken sounds like a character… My friend looks after the chooks at a private park. She washes their derrieres and feet so the eggs are in good nick. They love her and run towards her when she arrives for work jostling to be first in line… pecking order…did Hitchcock make a film about this???🤣
    @stitchincarol I hope your WFD went exactly as planned!! That weather sounds glorious compared to our wintery storms. And that your church is now cool.
    It is Matariki this weekend, the Māori New Year. I’m off down to a stay with my dairy farming friends. It’s a last minute invitation so I need to go and get organised…
    FD tomorrow for me. It might be my final weigh in for the month since I’m back on the 1st July!!

Onward and downward!!
    4 days to go!!

Day 26, Germany, FD800

After eating out yesterday and drinks at a friends house, my weight is up again. My BP is a bit low this morning so I’ll have to eat before line-dance class.

@merryapple We always forget we need to get the shingles vaccination, so thank you for reminding me! I’m glad you seem to feel better now. My husband never wanted to do ballromm so I asked it as a birthday present for my 50th birthday and he now loves it.

@jaifaim I hope, your body isn’t aching too much today. We live in the perfect area for cycling, it’s very flat here but the roads outside the towns are quite narrow. In summer we have a lot of tourists on superfast bikes, they scare me as you don’t always hear them coming. The black forest is ~700 km south of us, we’re in the upper north-west. Balloom dancing is definitely better than work meetings! We did walk for an hour yesterday, but it was so hot. Today it’s the last line-dance class before the summer break.

@jaifaim and @stitchincarol I’m glad I don’t have any work stress anymore and I got better at staying calm. Weirdly enough I don’t faint when I panic, I think my BP goes up then. I hope your nephews have a strategie to avoid fainting, I never knew how to deal with it apart from lying down.

@flourbaby I hope he exchange will be today, it will be one worry less for you.

@stitchincarol Hardly anyone has an AC here, we just sweat. As we’re on the coast we tend to have a slight breeze, that’s always nice.

Pocket list day 26
    @snowflake56 FD800

Day 26, London, UK, CD

I’m waiting to hear from my solicitors about my proposed completion date – either 10th (pre-hols) or 29th – (post hols) If it’s the 10th I’ll have to chuck the keys at my brother as I race to the airport & beg him to get a decorator in to repaint the red dining room and my blue bedroom whilst I’m away, then arrange a deep clean so when I return I just need to move in!!!😜😜. If it’s the 29th, I’ll be organising it myself!🤔

It was supposed to be a FD today, but I was at level 3 when I woke up so grabbed a snack pot of olives with feta, it certainly hit the spot at my 9am breakfast!!

We’ve had a couple of scorching days here, not as bad as yours @stitchincarol, that’s not great working-day weather, unfortunately the weekend is supposed to be wet here ………….. again!!! So, a lunchtime walk is as close as I’ll get to enjoying the fleeting summer!😎😎

Must dash, work awaits!!!😩🙄

“Alone, we can do so little; together, we can do so much” – Helen Keller

Day 26 Ireland – CD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾.

@flourbaby I am hoping for the 10th for you so!! 😂😂😂 and it sounds to me like you have a fabulous brother 👦💕
    Either way… everything is crossed for you for confirmation back from the solicitor today. 🙏
    You are right.. we are all better together – such a great community 💪

@funshipfreddie hope all’s well on hump day in SA..

@bert1802 your day at the market sounds lovely and with lovely fresh produce to take home… hope the FD went well for you!

@brightonbelle are you in better form today? I hope so? Maybe it is post holiday blues? It’s hard to get back into the routine…

@merryapple happy new Māori year! Glad to hear you are feeling ok and looking at the positives re: weight 😂 is that a new low???
    Thanks for that info! It’s pricey here too I believe..
    I had shingles a few years back… thought of the vaccine at the time but then forgot… I shall look into it..
    I do have a very good female specific saddle which looks very uncomfortable but is a dream 😂😂 it’s like an armchair… only kidding it is not quite that comfy but it certainly does a good job 👍. And my bike is very light.

@metatauta- 💪💪 good to have your check ins.

@stitchincarol wow so warm there!!! We’ve had one warm evening so far this summer … everyone was complaining… after months and months of cold wet weather 😂😂
    Now, I’m more dazzled by the fact that you need to drive five times what I cycled to get to Indianapolis… if I had continued straight I’d have nearly been off our Island 🏝️…

@snowflake56 I’m great! Thanks! No aches at all and I added some kms to my commute last night as it was a lovely evening.. I also managed my hour walk at lunch…I was very tired at the end of the day but..that’s to be expected.😁
    Your area sounds just fabulous! I can’t remember the name of the town you are in but that coast looks really lovely with an interesting group of islands off the north coast… I love maps and looking at where my travels might take me one day.. 🌎
    I could do without work stress but I am a long way off retiring… I suppose that is a good thing. Enjoy your last dance class 💃🏻

Yes @northgeorgia vigilance is the 🔑: think about everything you choose to eat… do you really want it? Need it? We can do this 💪

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 26 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 160.8

I pulled off yesterday’s WF, although with some serious temptations. I remembered the quote we used to throw around regularly, and held firmly to its words: “It’s going to be hard, but hard is not impossible.”

I also remembered that, when I was steadily losing weight in the second half of 2021, I would regularly give myself pep talks as I was driving to lessons. I would figure out my eating plan for several days ahead of me, and then bolster my RESOLVE with encouraging thoughts, and joy at the thought of the new weights I’d achieve…and all that was something I’ve not done for ages. So I spent my driving time yesterday in the same pep talks, and will continue to do so in the weeks ahead. SOMEWHERE in me is the needed RESOLVE to once again lose this weight I’m finding so depressing.

@merryapple Glad you’re feeling better, and have a wonderful new weight to reward you for all your suffering! Have a grand time with your dairy farming friends!

@snowflake56 Yeah, my first car didn’t have AC, and very few cars did then, and we certainly didn’t have AC where I lived in California (the Pacific Northwest, so no need there). But here in Nebraska, nearly everyone does at this point, both because it’s now common and not horribly expensive to install, and also because it’s so blisteringly hot during the summer.

@flourbaby How exciting that the move-in date is so tantalyzingly close! What colors are you going to do your red dining room and your blue bedroom?

@jaifaim At my last doctor’s appointment, I asked about getting the shingles vaccination, and he reminded me I’d already had the first shot, a full year earlier. I was so surprised, LOL, and had completely forgotten both about it, and about getting the follow-up shot. He assured me it was fine to get it at that point, and so I did. I think (maybe??) I had a bit of a sore arm, but nothing like what @merryapple has experienced, and there was even some question if I needed the vaccine, as I don’t believe I ever had chicken pox. But, @merryapple, to have had the pox and two kinds of measles all at the same time? SO hard on a pair of kids!

It is 5:35 and I’ve been awake since 3am. I tried to go back to sleep, spent some time reading, tried again to go back to sleep, and gave up. My plan is to knit and start the neck shaping while I have time to concentrate.

DH and I are going to see “Thelma” today with some friends, and go out to lunch before; have any of you heard of the movie?

Okay, another favorite quote: “You are far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way.”

Have a grand one, my friends!

Day 26 UK FD

Feeling in the zone today 💪 think you were right @jaifaim – post holiday blues, time to start looking forward to the next one ✈️

The bride and the 7 bridesmaids all looked beautiful @snowflake56 If you’ve seen the tv programme Great British Bake Off the professionals , Firle Place where it’s filmed is where they had the reception

Thanks for the hug @stitchincarol x

The brother option sounds fab @flourbaby Hope he feels the same

Very early train for me tomorrow off to visit FIL who is back home , early days and he has carers but a very positive step

Happy 🐫day all

Day 26 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 234 lbs. Only a few ounces gained over yesterday, so basically no change. Had an OMAD regular meal in the evening, but weighted more towards fruits, vegetables, and protein. I did have a handful of UPFs with my meal, but very limited. I’m printing out the new NOVA scale to help me on my NFDs. Although it includes carbs in group 1 (safest group) that I usually limit, I do find it helpful in decision making. I’ll share it here (there’s probably a chart form somewhere, but I can use the list for now). https://ecuphysicians.ecu.edu/wp-content/pv-uploads/sites/78/2021/07/NOVA-Classification-Reference-Sheet.pdf

Hi I just joined the group. I’m reading the 5 2 book in advance of starting the diet process so that I understand exactly what is required. One of my questions relates to advice on what to eat and what cooking recipes might be available. Is this the right place to get advice on this?

Second post

Welcome, @ray-c and this is exactly the right place. I believe there are some cookbooks from Michael Mosely and his wife, Claire, but perhaps you need to be more specific as to what sorts of recipes you are wanting. Are you wondering what to eat on FDs (Fast Days) or what to eat on NFDs (Non-Fast Days)?

A huge point of this way of life is that you get to treat it as that–a way of life, not a diet. So, eating “normally” on NFDs means to eat whatever has been normal for you, as long as normal isn’t an exhorbitant number of calories. Plus, avoiding UPFs (Ultra-processed foods) is to be avoided both for this way of life, and in all of life–I was taught the way to do that is only to eat what you can buy at the periphery of the grocery store: the produce section, the meat section, and the dairy section.

Then, on FDs, there are many approaches. I’m currently finding a water fast (meaning I only have water, no calories at all) simplest for my life, but when I was doing a normal FD, I would skip breakfast (because I have zero interest in food before 11am anyway) and lunch (just to enable me to have a larger supper), and then for supper I’d have swai or tilapia (because they’re cheap and low in calories) cooked in a non-stick skillet, lots of steamed veggies, and frequently a salad (from a kit so I easily knew how many calories I was having).

Okay, there was a dump of information. What questions do you have now?

Day 27 NZ FD 71.8kg

That will be my total @jaifaim for the month since I won’t be near scales… A slightly scary thought when food will freely available especially fresh unprocessed cows milk😋which is the best!!!! I could bathe in it!!!
    I’ll post later or tomorrow but need to get cracking!!!
    Welcome @ray-c This is a great space to help ‘normalise’ your eating habits ie no diets, just a wee bit of down-sizing and good food combined with self-control and global support!!!

Steely RESOLVE!!
    Countdown is on 3 days to go…

Pocket List
    Merry🍎

2nd post Day 27

If no one else is available to host, I can… It’s about my turn!!
    A big thank you to @jaifaim for a spectacular and inspirational bike ride and hosting so beautifully!!!
    I wish I could take my bike with me but none of our cars are set up to carry them… One day I won’t have a Mini One… My old Mercedes had a tow bar but sadly not the Mini🤣
    Cheers!!

Third post

Y’all know I don’t get to just stay home very long, right? 😂😂 Tomorrow morning will be a rush to accomplish everything before DH and I leave at noon for a convention. It’s only an hour and a half away, so the drive will be peaceful, and the convention should be lovely; that huge computer project I was working on in May and the beginning of June was the convention manual with agenda, reports, bios, etc.

My report for today is that I had four cherries before we left the house for lunch with our friends; at the restaurant, I had a fourth of the brussels sprouts appetizer, a fifth of the smoked salmon on toast appetizer, and all of my mussels and half of the bread, plus a bowl of cole slaw. And two glasses of wine. Later, I justified a candy bar and ate the whole thing. No, I scarfed the whole thing, LOL. Then I had two–TWO–pistachios. And that’s it. Oh, a swallow of DH’s beer, LOL. So, no real idea how many calories that is, but I’m feeling noble that it was relatively little (other than, of course, that candy bar…).

So, no post tomorrow, Friday or Saturday, and then probably not very early on Sunday, but I’ll weigh on Sunday and Monday and then choose the nicest number to report for our end of the month tally.

And thanks, @merryapple, for taking on July!

Day 26…..Florida……CD

I started this post this morning but DH came home from Mass and the alternator in the truck was on its last legs. So, I stopped writing the post and went on an unplanned adventure. Cool thing is we came home and had a nice salad for lunch rather than eating out.
    After lunch, I just spent the day relaxing and as I was getting ready for bed. I realized I never finish my post from this morning.
    So this will be a short post…..
    @ray c……. Good to have you here with us. Each of us, have tweaked this to fit our personal lifestyles. You will find your fit too. I personally stick to 16 hours of fast with a 8 hour eating window. I do this daily regardless of how many calories I consume each day.
    As far as a menu, I have not changed what I eat. I eat what I want and what I like. However, I have changed my portion sizes and I measure everything according to the serving size. For example, my salad today, the serving size on my salad dressing was 2 tablespoons and that is what I used nothing more.
    I do suggest keep reading and researching this way of life. Also, keep active on this form this is a great group very informative and motivating.

Okay, I’m off to bed…. We’re getting up early and going to the sponge docks.

Day 27 Ireland – FD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾.
    153.2 lbs

Hi RayC and welcome.. the idea for 5:2 is to simply limit your calories to 500 cals a day on two days of any week – those calories can be made up of any foods but once you get used to the Way Of Life (WOL) you become wise to calorie content if foods. Please see introduction post on Day 1 (Page1) of this thread for more information on this particular monthly challenge thread and a guide to the abbreviations we use.
    Please also see: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

@bert1802 I do love an unplanned adventure so hope it was lots of fun!

@brightonbelle glad to hear that things are brighter… and you are in the zone. I hope all went well with your FIL. Great to hear he is back home and with good carers. 💕

@flourbaby 🙏 🤞

@stitchincarol fabulous news on your successful WFD!! You are the only thing standing in your way as we all are… sounds to me like you are re-entering the zone – you go girl! 💪 I could not stop at two pistachios… or four cherries 🍒 so well done you! Enjoy the trip and the convention 😁

@merryapple have a very lovely beak away… enjoy all that quality dairy 🐮! Thanks so much for offering to post next month. ⭐️ and you are very welcome in regards to this month – it kept me focused too. I will have to start totting up the numbers and must have a good FD today… I’ll take the numbers on Sunday/Monday between here and the spreadsheet.

Hi everyone else out there… 3 days… I don’t like a closing out of the month on a Sunday but it is what it is.. weekend warriors we shall be 🏹⭐️

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List – Day 27 🍒

@merry🍎
    @jaifaim

Day 27, London, UK, FD,

Busy day today as I’ve fallen behind at work! Too many other things on my mind!😏

I haven’t caught up on posts, just skimmed a few! No news on the completion date, 🙏🏼🤞🏽🙏🏼 hoping it’ll be confirmed today. @stitchincarol, the red dining room will be painted in ‘denim blue’ and my bedroom will be a dusky pink both up to the picture rail, then brilliant white everywhere else.😊

Must dash, stay strong fellow fasters!!!💪🏼💪🏼

“The most practical way to change who you are is to change what you do.” – James Clear

Day 27 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Dunno where hump day went? I blinked and missed it. I was about to post, still in my dressing gown, & then realised I had only 40 minutes to shower & get ready for line-dancing. The rest of the day is a blur 🥴️ Except for my sugar-binge. @stitchincarol – my sweet tooth has NOT behaved well this month, & I really should listen to my own advice. Yesterday there was a Chunky KitKat AND wine gums! Not wine gums exactly, they’re called ‘Duos’ (Maynards) Each one is two colours/flavours & they’re very addictive 🤯 I hope you enjoyed the movie? I just watched the ‘Thelma’ trailer on YouTube – looks like a hoot & a half! 🤣

@flourbaby – waking up at level 3?! 😅 I know we’re all different, but it fascinates me that someone can wake up hungry, because food is the last thing on my mind at that time, even after a FD.🤞🤞you hear something today & get the move-in date you prefer 🏡

@ray-c – welcome to the forum. Ditto what everyone else has said. If you want to follow the original 5:2 you can have up to 600 cals on a fast day; 500 for ladies. Or 25% of the calories you’d normally consume on a sensible eating day. But it’s not set in stone, & if you’re very active & don’t need to lose much weight you could probably get away with 800. And then some people just have water. Whatever suits you & is sustainable. I do two FDs per week (one small evening meal) & I follow time-restricted eating the rest of the week, having lunch around noon, an afternoon snack & dinner around 7 pm.There’s tons of info on the forum, & you’ll probably find the answers to most of your questions just by clicking on ‘FAQ’. I think a simple but effective way to handle FDs is to avoid carbs, except for a little fruit/veg. Carb-heavy foods can trigger hunger, & protein is more filling & has less calories. After a while you’ll find the fast days easy; it’s the non-fast days that can be tricky to navigate.

@jaifaim – Ending the month on a Sunday is a pain. I’ll do my usual Sunday FD & then post my final weight on the spreadsheet first thing Monday morning. I’m hoping I’ll have at least maintained this month. At least I’ve been getting my steps in; according to Fitbit I’m averaging 9000 steps this month.

@merryapple – thanks so much for offering to host the July Challenge 🙏 Enjoy your time away & congrats on your stellar success this month! 🎉 🎯

Pocket List – Day 27 🍒
    @merry🍎
    @at
    @leoniraats
    @jaifaim
    @flourbaby
    @funshipfreddie

Day 27 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 FD

I have been skimming through posts and vaguely remembering to cut back on Mondays and Thursdays but my mind has been well and truly focused on trying to find properties to view. I am one pound down on my day 1 weight, not as good as I hoped but better than it could have been given my current stress level. We’re going on a house hunting trip and will be staying at a friends place in the area we want to move to so I may not get an opportunity to post again this month. @jaifaim thanks for your caring hosting of Jolly June 🤗

Pocket List – Day 27 🍒
    @merry🍎
    @at
    @leoniraats
    @jaifaim
    @flourbaby
    @funshipfreddie
    @missybear

Day 27 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 232 lbs. Doing ZBC this morning and probably OMAD until supper time tonight. Welcome to #RayC

Day 23, 24, 25, 26 – USA/TN

Not much going on except working a lot. I ate something that went topsy turvy in my system and had to go home from work on day 24. As a result, it was a FD, not the best way to have one! Also had a FD on day 26.

Day 27 – USA/TN

Correction: day 25 was a FD, still a little queasy from day 24’s stomach mishap. Day 26 was a NFD, but very light. Today, day 27 is another FD. Woo hoo.

Viewing 45 posts - 201 through 245 (of 245 total)

You must be logged in to reply.