Getting started again after a break

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Mind Coping strategies for hunger
Getting started again after a break

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Data 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Firstly I’d like to offer my condolences to all who knew Dr Micheal Mosley , such a sad end of life .
    I bought the 5-2 book last year and never got round to following it but after a high cholesterol reading I decided to dig it out and give it a go.
    I lost 7lb in the first 3 weeks ( hopefully lowering my cholesterol levels too)and seemed to do it easily but then I went away visiting family and now I can’t seem to get back on it , I’ve failed 3 fast days so far. On it today but I’m really struggling , anyone had the same experience ?

Hi Meandmy,

You might find these links helpful:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

It’s a long time since I began 5:2 (over 11 years ago) but my recollection of any days I struggled on, before it just became normal for me, were that all the following helped:-

drink more (water, black coffee or tea or a herbal tea),
    keep busy to keep your mind off it,
    remember that tomorrow you can eat what you like, so just try to hold on during the fast days,
    remember that hunger pangs come in waves and that if you can stay strong to resist temptation the hunger feeling will actually go relatively quickly

If you can stick to it for 6 weeks you may also find that your stomach shrinks a bit and you just don’t want as much on your plate even on non-fast days. It was about that long into it when I remarked to my wife that my evening meal looked a bit large and she told me it was less than half of what I had been eating as normal only 6 or 7 weeks earlier.

I hope some of this helps and very best of luck.

Mr Data,
    Great advice especially “ remember you can eat what you like tomorrow “ that has given me a lift .
    I’ll be checking out the links and reading about other people’s experiences to keep me focused too.
    I’m guessing it worked for you , I hope to get some success in lowering my cholesterol .
    Thank you.

Glad to be able to help a bit.

You may find this website useful too with respect to your cholesterol:

https://zoe.com/learn/category/health-conditions/cholesterol

I’ve been following 5:2 (and more recently 6:1) for over 11 years with great success and in the last 18 months I’ve added in following the Zoe advice too – but you don’t need to join Zoe to listen to their podcasts or to read their articles. They prioritise avoiding ultra processed food and trying to have 30 different plant types a week (seeds, nuts, spices, herbs, beans, fruit and vegetables all count – and in relatively low quantities too) – must admit I struggle to get more than 20 different ones, but that’s probably 15 more than I used to eat. Michael Mosley was a guest on the Zoe podcasts.

Mr Data
    The link was an Interesting read.
    I feel inspired to carry on with the 5-2 diet based on the success stories from this forum and I’ll look at incorporating as many plant foods as possible too .
    The first fast day after restarting was really tough but I have feel like I can do it now .

Well done. Hopefully it will get easier the more you do it – but always remember that if there is one day when you just can’t face it, don’t stress too much, just try to do it again as soon as you feel able to.

It’s a balance between finding the willpower to stick to it and not making yourself miserable in the process. It can only become sustainable once it’s no longer a battle, but a way of life.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.