FLY in JULY🧨 2024

This topic contains 27 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  FlourBaby 4 minutes ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

• Fly in July 2024 World Wide Monthly Challenge
    Day 0 New Zealand

Welcome to Fly in July🧨 – the next of our monthly challenges in 2024. All are welcome to join in!! @jaifaim is handing over to me, @merry🍎 after a stellar month with an extra focus on exercise – and alliteration!!

I’d like to continue with these themes! Doing the 5:2 WOL to lose those extra cms/inches is all about the what, when and why you eat. Add exercise into the equation and you’ll also get to feel happy, healthy and hip!!

Y’all be Fly in July!!
    ———
    These monthly challenges were started by @coda in May 2016 and have been going strong ever since. Goals can be overwhelming when viewed as a whole. But by breaking them down into small achievable pieces (monthly challenges), we are able to stay focused and motivated to accomplish our goals one step at a time in bite-sized monthly challenges.
    There are no rules, but as a general guide, here are some tips for any new people:
    1. Posting – Please start each post with the day of the month, where you are, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). We’re all over the world and in different time zones so it helps us keep track of which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting with us on a particular day etc. Look at the various posts, and you’ll soon see the pattern, and will learn how useful it is for reading.
    2. In your first post, please introduce yourself to the group – this helps us to get to know each other, which is especially helpful for newbies. Perhaps say something about where you started, your journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from fasting. You might like to include your starting weight or your goals for the month. But you don’t have to – share only what you are comfortable sharing online.
    3. Spreadsheet – we will have a spreadsheet available and we will post the link on a separate post when we have it. It will be in alphabetical order by username. If you find it helpful, you can use it to record and track your progress as well as keeping track of how others are doing. It can help with perspective, accountability or planning. And if you need help just ask – there’s always someone happy to help. But you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to. It’s just another tool you can use if you choose.
    4. Frequency – Some people post daily, others check in every few days. Some are brief, others are long and chatty. If you’re posting for a second time in the same day please head your post e.g. Day 1 – 2nd Post. Past history shows that posting every day truly does help with motivation for staying on track with your goals, so please don’t feel shy about suddenly posting daily; we love new members!
    5. Content of your post– Comments or questions, complaints or celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks and bright ideas are always welcome. Remember: we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails, days when our mojo deserts us and days where we feel completely in control. So DON’T GIVE UP – whatever it is, you are not alone!
    6. Community – This is a worldwide forum so there’s usually someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support and solidarity
    7. Pocket lists –A ‘pocket list’ is a list of the names of people who are sharing the same goal on a particular day. It’s great psychological support in mentally keeping that list in our back pocket, knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join a pocket list or start a pocket list. Typical pocket lists are for FD but in the past they’ve been used for people doing daily exercise or planks, or DTF (dry till Friday).
    8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/
    9. The “rule”. The F word is not allowed!! (This is the only time I will use it – but here, the F word is FAIL.). We all stumble in our journey – it happens. But acknowledge it, think about what you can do next time, and continue. We’re all here to help!
    We tend to use a LOT of abbreviations in these posts. Here’s a guide to some of the more frequently used ones:
    5:2 – 5 days NFD – 2 days FD
16:8 – 16 hours fast – 8 hours non fast
IF – Intermittent Fasting
ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc)
AF – Alcohol-free
B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
CFD – Controlled Food Day (a day’s eating comfortably below your TDEE)
DH, DD, DS – Darling Husband, Daughter, Son
DTF – Dry ’til Fri (no wine, beer, etc.)
EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
FD800 – Fast Day 800 calories
Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce had an inner warthog!)
IF – Intermittent Fasting
Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!
LC – Low Carb way of eating
LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
LOL – Laughing Out Loud
M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
MFP – MyFitnessPal – a smartphone app & website that tracks diet & exercise.
NFD – Non Fast Day
OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
OMAD – One Meal A Day
PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of moi!)
Pocket List – Names to “keep in your pocket” for a common goal for the day
TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
TRE – Time Restricted Eating
WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
WFH – Working From Home
WOL – Way of Life
WOCA – Woman Of a Certain Age
WW – Weekend Warrior (c/- @jaifaim)
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast

Here’s the link for the Fly in July Spreadsheet
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WzBYA92AZ56xlyZwpAlcwEYpUEsDp_ioILL6LoK86OE/edit

Dear @merryapple, thank you so much for hosting Fly in July🧨, I’m in!

Hi @merryapple – I must find some motivation to get back to this WOL on a more regular basis so hoping to join you all for FLY in JULY🧨 2024, now that my and OH birthdays are over – June ended up with lots of celebrations with various family and friends ending up with a special ⭐️⭐️⭐️ birthday dinner out for his 70th last night ❤️

Also can the access to the spreadsheet be made accessible to all, as at the moment we can only view it but not input/edit

Hope to sign in on Day 1 and catch up with everyone

Thanks for hosting @merry🍎 I’ll be flying with you in July ✈️

Thank you for hosting @merry🍎 I joined this forum quite a few years ago and had considerable success. I am 68, a mother of 2 daughters and a stepson and 6 grandchildren. I live in North Wales but I want to move to be closer to them all. My youngest daughter is getting married in 13 months and I want to lose some weight for that and to improve my general health and fitness.

I am very disappointed in myself for allowing the weight to creep up again. I used to tell myself that the 5.2 was a way of life and I believe it is, but I fell off the wagon. I am feeling strong and determined and I know that I can do this 💪
    Thanking you all in advance for your support. ❤️

Hello @merryapple! I’ll come fly with you for July… ✈️ 🎶
    See you here on Monday!
    Welcome back @molij – we have all been there… you can do this 💯.
    👋

Day 0 – USA/GA

I’ve gotten into the 230s, and was in the 210s and lower for a long time. This is still better than the upper 270s I found myself in before starting 5:2. I’ll be 50 in a few months, and I’m looking forward to getting back to my weight as a young man during my 50s, or at least close to it 🙂

I haven’t decided on a firm goal for July, but I think 228 lbs is reasonable.

USA

Merryapple, thank you for taking this month’s lead. I will see you all there soon!

Day 1, Germany, FD 63.5 kg

Good morning everyone!

I’m a Dutchwoman living in the upper North-West of Germany, married, 68 years old, 163 cm/5’4″ tall. I’m here on and off since 2017, lost a lot of weight and gained a lot again. Last month I lost 2.5 kg and this month I’m going for another 3.5 kg. The only thing I have to do is to stay away from sugar, my eating habits and my activity levels are fine so I don’t need any change there. I don’t post every day but will be here on most FDs this month.

@molij Welcome back!

Pocket list day 1
    @snowflake56

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Day 1, 2nd post

No weekend anymore so have a nice day everyone!

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.5 kg

Finished June with a 0.3 kg gain. Still at maintenance – just! @snowflake56 – I need to do the same as you – stay away from sugar!

About me:- David, 62, originally from Manchester, England. Retired & living in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Been 5:2-ing/IF-ing since 2014. I joined the Challenges in 2018. Currently maintaining at 70.5 kg. I do basic 5:2, having around 600 – 700 cals on FDs – one evening meal – and I have an eating window of around 12 noon to 8 pm on NFDs.

@merryapple – thanks again for hosting the Challenge. The spreadsheet is working okay now 🙏

@molij – welcome back!

@at – belated birthday wishes, & good to see you again too! 👀

@ccco – good to hear from you, & to know the operation went well! 🤗

“Cheers to a new month and another chance for us to get it right.” ~ Oprah Winfrey

Pocket List – Day 1 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @snowflake56

Day 1, London, UK, NFD

@jaifaim, thanks for herding us cats during June, as usual, I started off the month with heaps of enthusiasm, but the stresses of life meant a less than stellar final 2 weeks!😳 A 1lb gain for June so I’m here to try my best for 2 weeks until I face the numerous temptations Italy has to offer!🍷🍝🍰

@merryapple, thanks for hosting this Flying month, I’ll be 1/2 present at least!!🤣🤣It will be hard, but hard is not impossible!!!

“You can’t calm the storm, so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself. The storm will pass.” – Timber Hawkeye

Day 1 UK FD

Thanks for guiding us last month @jaifaim 🚴‍♂️and thank you @merry🍎for a new start in July

I’m looking forward and hoping to stay on track this month – I’m a lifelong yo-yoer losing and putting on the same 20lb I know I’m happier and healthier at the lower range I’m sort of in the middle just now ,a real good month would could see me near my goal but I’ve strayed the last couple of months mainly due to holidays but I’ve not got a lot planned for this month so pressing that trusty reset button

pocket List – Day 1 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle

Day 1-No.VA USA-FD
    I am joining the Fly in July group. Not much time to post as husband has catheterization procedure at the hospital at 6:15 this morning so we have to leave soon. Hopeful it will put an end to his episodes of atrial fibrillation. Supposed to take 4-6 hours of hospital stuff and then go home.
    June was a good month for me generally, although a birthday festival at home put some carbs back in my system, and boy are they good for rapid weight gain! but easy on, easy off as we say!

Nice to “see” all the fasters, old and new!
    Thanks @jaifaim for hosting June, and to @merryapple for flying us through July!

Day 1 9pm NZ FD

Hi everyone and welcome to Fly in July👋
    It’s rather late to be posting on Day 1…
    I returned this afternoon from holidaying with friends on a dairy farm. I did lots of walking and managed to avoid the cow pats!!😁 My friend Paisley the Scottie, however, got zapped💥on two separate occasions when she touched the electric fences and became very dubious about walking on green grass because she had no idea where or what the predator was…
    About me: I started 5:2 in 2018 and got down to 78.5kg from around 90kg. This time around I’m intending to get to the finish line!🏁 I’m a Reg Nurse with a FA degree. I married my DH 3 1/2 weeks before he died after living together for 25 years. I now look after his art works and liaise with his galleries in 4 different countries.
    Sleep well and I’ll see y’all tomorrow!!

Pocket List
    Merry🍎

Day 1 – UK – FD

@merryapple – thank you for hosting the FLY in JULY🧨 2024 Challenge and the spreadsheet is working fine. June was a bust with both OH and I having birthdays, his was a significant 70th and we certainly celebrated and indulged……

This month I need to make every effort to get back on the wagon and stay there!!! At least I did not gain any weight in June as starting this month at exactly the same weight I was on June 1st 64.5kg!!!!

So starting fresh on this Monday 1st July with a FD500 and an evening yoga 🧘‍♀️ class to get my mindset straight 🤞

@funshipfreddie – thanks for the birthday wishes and the welcome back…….now I just need to keep the motivation going and make July work for me…..

Great to see so many familiar names here already 🤗

About me:- 66 and retired to the Lake District in 2013 and loving life here – Been 5:2-ing since 2016 – lost 22kg and found the lifestyle so easy until the last 2.5 years, since when I have struggled and have slowly been gaining some of that weight back…… Currently not happy at 64.5kgs and desperately wanting to get below 60kg once more
    My plan for July (is what it was for June!!) – to get back on track with doing 2 x FD a week, reducing wine drinking days to a maximum of 2 days per week and ensuring control on my NFDs – Luckily my level of exercise is good – I do 2 yoga, 1 pilates and 2 aerobic type classes each week and I hike 2/4 days as well

“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. and when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Pocket List – Day 1🍏

@merry🍎
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle
    @jaifaim
    @excelsior12309
    @at

Great start 😂😂 I posted in the wrong month…. 🫢

Day 1 Ireland – FD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾.
    154 lbs
    Hi all, very glad to see a new dawn… this was a difficult weekend for me.. just lots going on but really all is well with me.
    Thank you @merryapple for hosting July for us and I am focused to stay down in maintenance this month.

As a group we lost 19.4lbs last month.. I think that’s pretty damn impressive. It was interesting to tot up (obviously not everyone’s numbers maybe and also I only counted losses not gains – I don’t do that 😂😂)

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Pocket List – Day 1🍏

@merry🍎
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle
    @jaifaim
    @excelsior12309

Day 1 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 235 lbs. Yeah, got a bit out of control yesterday with the all day snacking and it shows today. Plus burger, chips, and pasta bloat, which I expect again on Independence Day…

But overall feeling better about July. Let’s go 220s… time to get back to that nest again!

Pocket List – Day 1🍏

@merry🍎
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle
    @jaifaim
    @excelsior12309
    @northgeorgia

2nd Post,

I’m with you @jaifaim; I just mentioned your uplifting post (-19.4lbs!!!) to my friend, who said ‘That doesn’t make sense’ ………………

“(obviously not everyone’s numbers maybe and also I only counted losses not gains – I don’t do that 😂😂)”

Clearly NOT EVERYONE will be invited to join these challenges!!!🤣🤣🤣 Gains are just temporary, losses are here to stay!!!💪🏼🙄💪🏼

2nd Post – Day 1

Pocket List – Day 1 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle
    @jaifaim
    @excelsior12309
    @at
    @northgeorgia

Day 1 Wales FD
    This is my first FD for quite a while. It is going ok so far. Trying to keep busy. I am sewing a sleep sack for my youngest Granddaughter. I am hoping that will distract me. Thank you for your encouragement @jaifaim and everyone else ❤️

Pocket List – Day 1 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @snowflake56
    @brightonbelle
    @jaifaim
    @excelsior12309
    @at
    @northgeorgia
    @molij

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 164.0

After several days away followed by a family gathering, I’m back. It was fun times, but I woke up with a belly ache that’s turned into diarrhea, so I sure don’t feel the best. On the other hand, it’s been steadily raining outside for several hours now, which is a huge blessing in this farming community, so I’m smiling even in my misery. 😁

@merryapple Thanks so much for hosting again! Are you planning to tally up total weight lost for the month as well? I sure didn’t help June’s number, but I think it’s a grand idea, and have every intention in contributing in July. 😇

@molij Welcome back; I look forward to getting to know you. And, for the record, I was 137-142 two years ago, and have gained it all back…sigh. So I FULLY understand your disgust and frustration.

@ccco So good to hear from you, and I’m delighted you’re doing so well after the surgery.

@at Yet another way in which our lives have some serious parallels: my DH turns 70 in August. Made me smile. What REALLY made me smile, however, was to hear from you. You were who inspired me the most when I started with this group back in the day, so I’m always happiest when you’re a regular poster. 🥰

I well remember when I was finally “under control,” starting in August 2021 (22?) and seldom ate what I shouldn’t and was steadily if slowly losing weight. People would regularly post about their struggles to do the same, and I’d be SO perplexed, and think, “Just DO it.” And here I am, not just doing it. My goal for July is to once again learn how to just DO it. Weight-wise, I want to be down to 159 multiple times by the end of the month. That will be a challenge since we leave for vacation on the 21st…but I’m going to keep saying “Just DO it,” and see where that takes me.

Have a grand one, everyone.

Day 1 – USA – Georgia
    Current Weight – 155.6 lb – FD

Hi all, I discovered this forum last week, and I’m happy to be joining for July. I’m relatively new to 5:2 but I have done OMAD for 2+ yrs and was successful in losing 40lbs. I’m now finding myself snacking more and have gained 12-15 lbs since, so before I pack all those pounds back on I feel it best for me to get back on track. My goal is to hit 135 by my birthday in November, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Did a road trip with my BF, this weekend, and my eating was way out of control, snacking is my biggest con.

I don’t have any set days for fasting, but I’m hoping to fast at least 3 days a week when possible. My sister is hosting 4th July celebrations at her home and my BF want us to go to an event on Friday, so I’m thinking most of my eating will be done on those two days.

@merryapple Thanks so much for hosting, I’m definitely looking forward to flying first class with all of you this July!

Day 2 NZ NFD 71.6kg

A 19.4lb group loss is fabulous! I’m happy to do a tally up at the month’s end if that’s what you would like!!! @flourbaby If you put your friend who doesn’t ‘get it’ on a sinking ship with the extra weight, they soon would!!!🤣

@at You have an amazing fitness routine! While I was away I showed my friend who does Pilates, my planks. She doesn’t have the strength to stay static and hold herself in one position like I do but is more focused on flexibility and stretching. Is that your experience? Think of @snowflake56 who holds her position for 6 minutes!!!💪
    @jaifaim Great to hear you are back in maintenance after your CHO loading for the big bike ride!!!
    @northgeorgia We’ve got to get you back fairly and squarely in the 20s and down… Be 💪
    @flourbaby It will be great to have a RELAXING holiday and let your brother help you out with painting!!
    @funshipfreddie Just out of curiosity what is your BMI? I’m at the top end and was thinking of aiming for the mid point…
    @molij Hi and welcome back!!! On the basis of idle hands find their way into the kitchen, your sewing is a win win strategy!!
    @sldeal And a big welcome to you too!! My routine is I do Monday and Thursday fasts and sometimes throw in an extra one if I’ve had a big eating day the following day. I break my fast at 4pm with a boiled egg to get me through to dinner, which I often have an hour earlier on FDs, then metaphorically close the kitchen… Others might like to offer up their strategies.
    @excelsior12309 Your family birthday pool party sounds gorgeous as do your flowering water lilies. I had a good laugh at your 4th of July comments
    @ccco Wonderful you’re back with us!!
    @metatauta I hope you’re feeling better by now. And you did manage to keep at least some of your impromptu weight loss!! Yum duck eggs…
    @stitchincarol And same. I hope you’re feeling better too. Did anyone else get sick? These days it’s hard to distinguish between food poisoning and viral infections… What happened to your eating at #3 hunger? How’s the fair isle jersey getting on?!
    @leoniraats Yes! We all want you to to hang in with us and look forward to you having some me-time once your new job and study sort themselves out… In the meantime as @flourbaby says, remember your body is not a bin!!

OK everyone!! It’s you who puts food in your mouth not anyone else… So chose those snacks wisely!!!🍏🍎🍐🍊🍉🫐🥝🍑🍇🍓

Onward and downward!!

PS Is someone having trouble with filling in the sheet? I just noticed it’s changed colour and names at the bottom have dropped off. Or do we have an alien in our midst…

Day 1…..Florida…..FD

Happy New Month!
    I had a pretty good day, I actually stayed under my 500 calories. I ended at 450 but I’m so full, I could not eat anymore. I actually ended up doing a 18:6, at the office, we all eat lunch together and they were running a bit late so my fast was a bit longer than I expected.

So, My name is Michelle. I live in Florida with my DH of 30 years. We have three kids, I raised two of them and was blessed with a lovely young lady when she married my oldest. I started 5:2 in 2016, got down to 125 and was in maintenance. Life went upside down, sideways and wonky leaving me at 185 after it was all said and done. I ended the month of July at 182.6.
    I am working towards getting back down to my lowest weight. I plan on doing two FD’s a week, staying around 1200 calories the other 4 days and on Sundays being a no counting calorie day. My weigh in will be Sat. Morning.

Well, I think that is it for me……

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@sldeal – welcome!

@merryapple – my BMI is currently 21.8 I don’t know what happened to the spreadsheet; I think someone tried to add their name, but it didn’t quite work. e.g, there was a new name next to @snowflake 56 instead of ‘Germany’. I’ve sort of fixed it, but the last two names aren’t in alphabetical order. 👽

Gotta run! 🏃

“Everything magical happens between the months of June and August.” ~ Jenny Han

Day 2 Ireland – FD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾.
    156 lbs 🙃
    Good morning everyone!
    Great to see some new people joining and to see our familiar friends back this month… @at I hope you had a wonderful birthday month and happy birthday to your DH also! 🎈 we missed you in June 💕

I realise my post yesterday might have been confusing …
    “(obviously not everyone’s numbers maybe and also I only counted losses not gains – I don’t do that 😂😂)”

So : I was conscious that not all of us track on the spreadsheet. So I went back to the posts… to see the difference between start and last posted weight but.. some of us don’t post start/end weight hence the thought that it could have been even more… you know I’ll always be optimistic until I’m not 😂😂😂

For the newcomers : There is no obligation to post your weight btw it was just fun to see the group total. It’s not a competition to see who lost most.. group effort all the way ⭐️⭐️

@merryapple I did chuckle though at your comment to @flourbaby’s pal 😂

@flourbaby you’re so funny 🤣 😂

@excelsior12309 I hope the procedure went well yesterday for your DH – a long day for sure – EOEO is real 😁

@molij the trick to a good FD is to keep super busy or mind grandchildren 😂😂

Hi @sideal – great to have you with us! If you haven’t already, will you read the post on the first page of Fly in July to give you some understanding of the abbreviations etc we use. I tend to fast Monday and Wednesday most weeks but am dipping in and out of maintenance so should really only be fasting one day now… honestly if I could truly manage one good FD a week and good NFDs I’d probably stay in maintenance … 🙃

@merryapple my plank is still just at 2m10… I’ll improve this in July 🎯. 3m – is the aim for now or the length of a favourite song. Your holiday sounds like it was just perfect. Poor little

Paisley ⚡️!! Funny on the sheet yesterday when I clicked in I saw Teneer at the end but then today when I look that name was gone… 🤔 . Maybe someone accidentally deleted the last few rows?

@bert1802 a fabulous FD for you! That’s what we want to hear… it inspires the rest of us 💪

@stitchincarol I hope you are feeling better today and no better woman to Just Do It when you’re back to feeling well. You have had such busy times recently I would have found it hard to apply myself. When the time is right you’ll be right 💪

I have lots of concerts this week so will dance the nights away and hopefully walk.

Tim Spector popped up on my feed yesterday saying “Everytime you eat is an opportunity to improve your health.”

Leaving you all with those wise words on this lovely day.

Onward and downward ⬇️

We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 2, London, UK, FD,

Quick check-in from me.

Welcome newbies…………. “Best… decision …. ever!!!” Questions, queries, support and some metaphorical hand holding can all be found right here!!!💪🏼💪🏼

Good to see @at and @molij returning to the fold!!🥳

My ‘To Do list’ is overflowing with house buying stuff, holiday planning stuff, fasting stuff and of course at the bottom of the list work stuff!🤣🤣 I would love to add some exercise stuff, but there’s only so many hours in a day!!!

Stay strong folks, we’ve got this!!!

“Don’t go through life, grow through life.” – Eric Butterworth

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply.