Atomic August 🟢🔵🟡

This topic contains 316 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  ccco 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 316 total)

• Welcome to the August challenge – I am taking over from @merryapple who guided us so well through July.

Know that we ALL have good and bad times … but tiny efforts can make huge changes in the long run ⭐️ So I’ve called this month’s challenge “Atomic August”.

I’m currently having to work so hard to apply myself so happy to host again. I may not be able to post each day this month but am committed to make it a good one.

See you all on Thursday and hopefully we see some
    old friends back to join in 🙏

Day 0 – USA/GA

Although this is my birthday month, I am looking forward to losing more weight in August, and hopefully get firmly back into the 220s

Thanks you for hosting @jaifaim. I will be joining you.

USA. Day 0

Thank you, jaifaim, for taking over the month of August. I love the name you chose, Atomic August!

NorthGeorgia, this is my birthday month, too, but I don’t want to lose any of my gains. That’s my birthday present to myself!

See you all in August!

For any new joiners this month:-

These monthly challenges were started by @coda in May 2016 and have been going strong ever since. Goals can be overwhelming when viewed as a whole. But by breaking them down into small achievable pieces (monthly challenges), we are able to stay focused and motivated to accomplish our goals one step at a time in bite-sized monthly challenges.
    There are no rules, but as a general guide, here are some tips for any new people:
    1. Posting – Please start each post with the day of the month, where you are, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). We’re all over the world and in different time zones so it helps us keep track of which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting with us on a particular day etc. Look at the various posts, and you’ll soon see the pattern, and will learn how useful it is for reading.
    2. In your first post, please introduce yourself to the group – this helps us to get to know each other, which is especially helpful for newbies. Perhaps say something about where you started, your journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from fasting. You might like to include your starting weight or your goals for the month. But you don’t have to – share only what you are comfortable sharing online.
    3. Spreadsheet – we will have a spreadsheet available and we will post the link on a separate post when we have it. It will be in alphabetical order by username. If you find it helpful, you can use it to record and track your progress as well as keeping track of how others are doing. It can help with perspective, accountability or planning. And if you need help just ask – there’s always someone happy to help. But you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to. It’s just another tool you can use if you choose.
    4. Frequency – Some people post daily, others check in every few days. Some are brief, others are long and chatty. If you’re posting for a second time in the same day please head your post e.g. Day 1 – 2nd Post. Past history shows that posting every day truly does help with motivation for staying on track with your goals, so please don’t feel shy about suddenly posting daily; we love new members!
    5. Content of your post– Comments or questions, complaints or celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks and bright ideas are always welcome. Remember: we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails, days when our mojo deserts us and days where we feel completely in control. So DON’T GIVE UP – whatever it is, you are not alone!
    6. Community – This is a worldwide forum so there’s usually someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support and solidarity
    7. Pocket lists –A ‘pocket list’ is a list of the names of people who are sharing the same goal on a particular day. It’s great psychological support in mentally keeping that list in our back pocket, knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join a pocket list or start a pocket list. Typical pocket lists are for FD but in the past they’ve been used for people doing daily exercise or planks, or DTF (dry till Friday).
    8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/
    9. The “rule”. The F word is not allowed!! (This is the only time I will use it – but here, the F word is FAIL.). We all stumble in our journey – it happens. But acknowledge it, think about what you can do next time, and continue. We’re all here to help!

We tend to use a LOT of abbreviations in these posts. Here’s a guide to some of the more frequently used ones:

5:2 – 5 days NFD – 2 days FD

16:8 – 16 hours fast – 8 hours non fast

IF – Intermittent Fasting

ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc)

AF – Alcohol-free

B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)

BMR – Basal metabolic Rate

CFD – Controlled Food Day (a day’s eating comfortably below your TDEE)

DH, DD, DS – Darling Husband, Daughter, Son

DTF – Dry ’til Fri (no wine, beer, etc.)

EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)

EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)

FD – Fast Day (500 cals)

FD800 – Fast Day 800 calories

Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce had an inner warthog!)

IF – Intermittent Fasting

Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones

KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!

LC – Low Carb way of eating

LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating

LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)

LOL – Laughing Out Loud

M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)

MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new
    Fast800, it’s a FD

MFP – MyFitnessPal – a smartphone app & website that tracks diet & exercise.

NFD – Non Fast Day

OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)

OMAD – One Meal A Day

PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of moi!)
Pocket List – Names to “keep in your pocket” for a common goal for the day

TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)

TRE – Time Restricted Eating

WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)

WFH – Working From Home

WOL – Way of Life

WOCA – Woman Of a Certain Age
WW – Weekend Warrior (c/- @jaifaim)
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast

Here’s the link for the Atomic August Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XjKf59ptWZPqUur45jd75n4kPX5YSc54lu

2nd Post – Day 0

This is the REAL Atomic August Spreadsheet, I hope 🤦‍♂️

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XjKf59ptWZPqUur45jd75n4kPX5YSc54lus5prEivZM/edit?gid=0#gid=0

@funshipfreddie thank you thank you for posting all of the above ⬆️ ⭐️

@jaifaim…. Thank you for hosting!

Hoping to get my ducks back in a straight line…. This month. Can’t promise the squirrels will cooperate…. But I’ll try not to let them distract me too much!

Day 1 NZ FD 70.8kg

I went to bed at 6pm and have just arisen at 3pm with a classic viral illness- HA, aching joints and temp… the easiest FD I’ve done for a while 😕
    I knew there was an atomic emoji somewhere but I couldn’t find it @funshipfreddie!! And here’s the other one!🤯
    I’m thinking that @jaifaim’s colours as green grass, blue sky and sunshine, not an atomic ‘thunderbirds are go’ countdown!!

To those who might be watching – just jump in. We all had a few false starts before we got going. It’s better to be here than not!! Over time it helps you to organise your eating habits and gives you the confidence to develop a healthy relationship with healthy food🙂

Pocket List
    @merry🍎
    @molij

Day 1, Germany, FD 64.2 kg

Good morning everyone!

I’m a Dutchwoman living in the upper North-West of Germany, married, 68 years old, 163 cm/5’4″ tall. I’m here on and off since 2017, lost a lot of weight and gained a lot again. I’m not eating enough vegetables, I don’t like salads and have problems digesting them so I steam everything.

@jaifaim Thank you so much for setting up the challenge again, thanks to @merryapple for the spreadsheet and last month’s excellent hosting and thanks to @funshipfreddie for the extra information.

@jaifaim and @merryapple My weight is still up as was my BP yesterday. I had to push it down with extra medication. I think you’re right @merryapple, I’m going back to basics with doing 5:2 for this month.

Pocket List
    @merry🍎
    @molij
    @snowflake56

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 1 – Ireland – CD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾
    153.4 lbs

Welcome to this Atomic August challenge – I am taking over from @merryapple who guided us wonderfully through Fly in July 💕. I’ll be a relaxed host this month as it’s summertime here and I have some busy times but once the monthly challenge is set up it really does run itself and everyone supports each other.

Atomic for me means small consistent changes working to achieve long lasting results… but it means different things to different people so go with what you feel is right for you…⚛️ 🤯 💥

Inspired by Atomic Habits 📚 📖 by James Clear which is also close to hand to remind me that slowly slowly we get there… with all habits we want to change or build, not just weight loss.

Now… the emojis… just random bright colours I thought looked like atoms 😂 (I’m no scientist) and bright as you say @merryapple. Green grass and trees, blue sky and sea, and yellow sun and sand.

I couldn’t find one for atomic the other day and somehow didn’t see the atoms ⚛️ emoji @funshipfreddie posted… I see it now and did think about updating the title but quite like the bright dots now.. Hope you all do too.

My intro for any newcomers:
    The first challenge I joined was October 2017…and I’ve been intermittently fasting in all senses of that phrase 😂 since. Sometimes it’s hard to do but you fall off and you just climb back on again… 🧗‍♂️

My name is a little play on words as I am a french speaker so “J’ai faim” means “I’m hungry” but also stands for Just Another Intermittent Fast And I’ll Maintain…it makes me smile 😊

I recently reached maintenance – but it is hard and I bob up again after holidays etc. I’ll stay between 152 and 155lbs this month💪

I love being outdoors even in our lovely Irish weather and cycle, walk, swim in the sea. I do some strength work too now… should do more…

I stay away from alcohol 🚫 most of the time and have reduced added sugars ✅ and eat gluten free 🌾 because of intolerance symptoms – headaches mostly no gut issues. I’ve recently fallen back into the habit of more sugar and it is doing me zero favours so that’s the focus again this month.

I have two auto immune conditions and the above foods definitely cause flare ups if I take them in … along with hormone deficiencies now due to my age. My little icons help me to stick to clean nutrition.

Ok here we go.. August let’s have you! 💪 ⚛️

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others💕

Day 1 UK FD 89.8kg

I was here years ago when I successfully lost over 100lbs in a year. I never successfully managed maintenance and at first my weight crept up slowly until when my life got turned up side down six months ago it shot up again rapidly to over 200lbs:( My life is more settled again and I must do something about my weight again as it is having an impact on my ability to move so I am returning to what I know works. I now live in a village and am taking advantage of that by doing more walking in the beautiful countryside around here so I am combining the exercise from that with every other day fasting and using this site to keep me focused. It’s early days. I have done 2 successful fast days so far, with many more to come.

It’s good to see a number of familiar names from my previous time here. Waves:) I am really grateful to find the monthly challenges still going. Thanks to all the hosts:)

Day 1, 2nd post

I wanted to work in the garden but one of the small blackbirds was taking a bath and a drink and is now sitting where I have to work begging and waiting for food. So I’m cleaning the attic windows instead.

@merryapple Just thought about your post. I hope you feel better soon!

@fatrabbit Welcome back!!! Are you still running the rabbit and guinea pig sanctuary?

@jaifaim Well done, you’re still in maintenance! I hope to join you in the near future.

Pocket List
    @merry🍎
    @molij
    @snowflake56
    @fatrabbit

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@jaifaim – you’re welcome; & thank you for setting up the Challenge.

@merryapple – oh no?! What a way to start the month?! But, silver lining. You’re starting the month under 71 kg 🎯

@fatrabbit – welcome back!

About me:- David, 62, originally from Manchester, England. Retired & living in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Been 5:2-ing/IF-ing since 2014. I joined the Challenges in 2018. Currently maintaining at 70.8 kg. I do basic 5:2, having around 600 – 700 cals on FDs – one evening meal – and I have an eating window of around 12 noon to 8 pm on NFDs.

“I wish you a beautiful new month from the first day of this month to the last day.” ~ J. K. Rowling

Pocket List – Day 1 🍒
    @merry🍎
    @molij
    @snowflake56
    @fatrabbit
    @funshipfreddie

Second post

Welcome back @fatrabbit!!! It is wonderful to have you back – I remember you well. I am so sorry that you have had such a difficult time of it recently but hopefully being back with us might help you to get back on track generally. 💕

@merryapple I hope you get some good rest and feel better soon. You poor thing! 💕

Day 1 UK NFD

Giving my usual Thursday FD a miss as feeling slightly “delicate” after few days away

Thanks @jaifaim for Atomic August

I’m a 63F living on the south coast of England with DH .Been fasting on& off for 8 years with lots of success but also a few fails – I’m currently 10ish lbs over where I want to be

A health issue last year shook me and I now want to be at my healthiest and happiest version of my self and whilst I’d love to wave a magic wand and be there tomorrow, if it takes a year so be it , looking forward to our journey

Day 1 – USA/GA – ?

Weigh-in: 233 lbs. My boss wanted me to go to lunch yesterday, so that abruptly ended the FD. After lunch, I got the sniffles. Still with me today, and from past experience, I can’t commit to fasting when I’ve got a respiratory ailment — it makes me sick to my stomach. Ugh. Happy August

Day 1-No. VA USA-controlled eating day!

thanks to @merryapple for July hosting, and to @jaifaim for August !
    Weight was good today after a fast, so that started things off on the right foot.
    I will be able to talk more tomorrow, but have a 1/2 day out of the office to do all errands, housework, etc. so must scramble!

Day 1 – UK – FD800

Despite a not very controlled July I managed to lose 1.1kg so starting this month at 63.4kg and feeling optimistic

I had a bad July with a very painful flareup of Sciatica after a long car journey to London and back to see the Van Gogh Immersive Experience – feeling back to 90% after several sessions with an excellent physiotherapist and some ultrasound treatment.

I managed a successful FD800 yesterday and aiming for another today or at least a CD to start the month on a positive note

@jaifaim – thank you for setting up this month’s challenge
    @merryapple – thank you for setting up the spreadsheet and for last month’s hosting….I was lurking in the background but just not in the right headspace to comment
    @fatrabbit – I remember you……welcome back – Sorry to hear that you have had a lot of upheaval in your life recently – are you still running your rabbit 🐰 sanctuary??
    @merryapple – what a shame – I do hope that you recover quickly from this viral infection

A little bit about me -66 and retired to the Lake District in 2013 and loving life here – Been 5:2-ing since 2016 – lost 22kg and found the lifestyle so easy until the last 2 years or so, since when I have struggled and have slowly been gaining some of that weight back…… Currently not happy at 63.4kgs and desperately wanting to get below 60kg once more!

My plan for August – to get back on track with doing 2 x FD a week, reducing wine drinking days to a maximum of 3 days per week and ensuring control on my NFDs – slowly building up my exercise levels this month after a recent bad flareup of sciatica

My personal motto is “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. and when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now” so joining the pocket list for support on my FD800/CD day

Pocket List – Day 1 🍒
    @merry🍎
    @molij
    @snowflake56
    @fatrabbit
    @funshipfreddie
    @at FD800 or CD

Day 1, London, UK, NFD

What a month July was!!! 2weeks of wine & pasta & wine & sun🥵 ………… & pasta in Italy, then …………………… I bought a house!!!🥳🥳🥳!!!
    I got back from my hols on the 26th and completed on the 29th!!! Unfortunately the decorator I had booked to change the crazy red dining room to a subtle blue has let me down, so I haven’t moved anything other than a roll of toilet paper into the new house!!!

Glad to be here and huge thanks to @jaifaim for hosting us this month, I really need to whack the reset button with a mallet or perhaps a sledge hammer ……………………….it seems to be jammed!!!🙄😳🤭

@fatrabbit, good to see you back, sorry to hear you’ve had a tough time recently, have you moved from where you were to a village? Did your furry friends make the move too?? I’m absolutely positive you can repeat the fasting successes of the past ………………. Afterall it’s why I’m back here!!😁😁

@merryapple, I hope you feel better soon, what a rotten start to the challenge ……………….. but a FD under your belt already!!! Silver lining & all that!!!😉😉

I’m on a training course today & tomorrow, with a catered lunch. Chicken salad today & tomorrow will be the best choice before a Saturday FD I think! 💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼

Well, our tea break is over I’ll get back to the boardroom & try NOT to fall asleep!🤭🤭

Onwards & downwards folks!!!

“Alone, we can do so little; together, we can do so much” – Helen Keller

Day 1 North Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 FD

Sorry I am late posting today but it has been a very busy day again. I joined the challenges in 2018 and lost lots of weight. I kept it off for quite a long time but then the old habits came back and I put it all back. I had a very successful month last month and I am determined to get down to a good healthy weight by July next year. This time I must not leave this forum as it does help you keep on track especially when in the maintenance phase.

I am 68, mother of two daughters and step mum to a son. We have 6 adorable grandchildren all girls bar 1 and all under 10. The youngest is 4 months. I live in a beautiful part of North Wales which I love but I do want to move closer to family. I have managed to persuade my husband to think about it 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Determined to do my best this month but I have a few obstacles in the way. My daughter and her family are visiting for the week. They arrive tomorrow. In the middle of the month I am visiting my sister for 5 days. That will be a challenge as she doesn’t cook the healthiest of foods.

My name is not Moli that is the name of my dog. The J is the first letter of my surname.

@merryapple I do hope you feel better soon and your fast day goes well today.

@snowflake56 I hope you manage your get your blood pressure under control.

@fatrabbit welcome back. I returned last month.

@jaifaim well done for still being in maintenance

@brightonbelle I hope you feel better soon.

@northgeorgia I hope you feel better too.

@at sorry to hear about your sciatica flare up but glad you are feeling better.

@flourbaby you had an amazing July fabulous holiday and a house.

Have a brilliant August everyone. Together we are strong 💪

‘You have got to get up every morning with determination if you’re going to bed with satisfaction’ George Lorimer

Pocket List – Day 1 🍒
    @merry🍎
    @molij
    @snowflake56
    @fatrabbit
    @funshipfreddie
    @at FD800 or CD

Day 1 Weston, Missouri

We have nothing left on the vacation agenda, so we’re nursing our lattes and considering what we feel like doing between now and Friday early afternoon when we’re due home.

I’m looking forward to a normal routine again!

Day 1……Florida……CD

Happy August, my friends!

Not a bad day today I did a CD with calories just under 1200. I was hoping to do a FD tomorrow but DH wants pizza. So, I’m going to go with the FD on Saturday.

I did notice one thing over the month of July, I have pretty much cut out all my snacking. So, I’m going to count that as a non scale victory!

As of this morning, my weight for the month of Aug starts at 180.6. According to My fitness pal, if I keep just doing my 16:8 and staying under 1250, I’ll weight 174 in 5 weeks. I guess I’ll just weight and see….

Keeping up with my water in take, I haven’t yet hit the 90 ounce I’m supposed to have according to my weight, but I am hitting roughly 60 ounce per day with only hitting 80 once. Progress!

About a week ago, I found this 10 min. sound wave video that suppose to help you lose weight. I guess these sounds generate sound waves at a particular frequency that signals your body to release unwanted pounds. Any one ever tried this?

I think I’m going to keep using it, even if I don’t lose weight because it does help me turn my brain off long enough to fall asleep and not wake up 30 min later.

Okay…. DH is wanting my attention… so I’m off!

Day 2 NZ NFD 70kg 🏃‍♀️

I’ve had a wee bit of a woosh but let’s see if it sticks😯
    I’m feeling much brighter today but still have a headache… I walked gently up the maunga with two Westies this morning for some fresh air and company.

Intro: I’m 66F, an RN with a FA degree and look after my DH’s art estate. My 16yr old Westie🐻‍❄️Macintosh ‘crossed the rainbow bridge’ several months ago. My 2023 new year’s resolution was to do 5:2 after a semi successful go at it in 2018. Here I am at the magic number I picked for myself back when I weighed 93kg. I have decided I need to go below it and aim for around 66kg to construct my maintenance parameters so I can stay below 70kg 4Eva!!

Thanks @funshipfreddie for the introduction and @jaifaim the welcome!!
    @at I noticed you were filling in the sheet. I’m sorry to hear about your sciatica. That’s so disappointing when you put so much effort into your fitness… but that fitness will help you to recover too.
    @stitchincarol Enjoy doing NOTHING!!!!
    @molij Was the puppy found?? I agree with you about staying with the forum. I for one do not want to regain any weight especially as I’ve dispatched all my large clothes!!!
    @flourbaby Fabulous that you’re a home owner and you’re here to supervise any home improvements!! At least you know the loo is working!!!
    @excelsior12309 Great to hear you’re off to a good start!!
    @northgeorgia Oh no!! Save up that new found confidence for when you feel 100% again!!
    @brightonbelle Take care, rest up and eat well!!
    @snowflake56 That is so sweet. I hope your blackbird found a worm!! I have grapefruit on my tree at the moment and have noticed I am sharing them with some wee native birds. They are eating them out quite effectively and leaving the hollowed out shell hanging. I do need to make some marmalade though!!
    @fatrabbit Welcome back!!! I have added your name to the sheet if you would like to use it. Where do you live in the UK?
    @ccco Great to hear about your birthday present to yourself and I’m sure you can find another 🎁 too!!
    @bert1802 I hope your ducks are going to blitz those squirrels!!

Have a great start to the month everyone!!
    There are no Friday Fasters today so no pocket list required!

Day 2, Germany, NFD

@merryapple I’m glad you feel better again. The small blackbirds are adorable, we also have small song thrushes and blue tits at the moment. The small ones are being feds for a while by their parents. They all come to take a bath on the terrace. You do have clever birds, what kind of bird is hollowing out your grapefruits?

@molij Did they find the puppy? How is your husbands Covid test result? My BP derails on a regular basis. I still take extra medication and I hope a bit of weight loss will stabilize my BP at a lower level.

@flourbaby When can you move in? We have a red dining room and we love it, but we know it’s not for everyone.

@stitchincarol Have a save journey home!

@jaifaim You were right, the higher weight was just temporary, I’m down 2.2 kg in two days.

Day 2 UK NFD

90.4kg.
    I just about hung onto the fast day yesterday by telling myself I can eat tomorrow but now I feel full and bloated and not the slightest bit hungry. Heat really doesn’t agree with me, even tame UK heat. I think I am still feeling the effect of stupidly walking too far on Sunday so I didn’t get back before it warmed up. I ended up being out for six hours walking an average of 2 km per hour. I planned on half the distance but it turned out my friend couldn’t collect me and I had to walk back as well. Or rather hobble back with about six stops to lie down on the grass to get some feeling back in my feet!! I haven’t felt well since:(

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.2 kg

My moggie has been incarcerated. I felt so guilty. She’s been there several times, but it doesn’t get any easier – for either of us. She refused to get out of the carrier after I opened it. There was a noisy old Siamese cat close by, which didn’t help, so Carol-the cat-lady said, “oh just leave her, she’ll be fine” 😿

@flourbaby – you’re back! 👏

@molij – 6 grandchildren under 10?! Are you sure you want to move closer? 🤣

@bert1802 – I’d never heard of that – sound waves to lose weight – but from what I’ve just read it looks like it can really work 🤔

@merryapple – wow? Well done on the whoosh! 🥳️ You’ll have to revise your August goal now! I had a mini-whoosh & I’m down 0.6 kg.

@snowflake56 – congrats to you too; 2.2 kg down in two days?! 🎯

@fatrabbit – crikey, 6 hours?! Take it easy! Exercise is great for the health benefits, & for helping to keep weight off. But it’s the fasting that works the magic. But you accomplished your FD! Poco a poco. Feel better soon 🤗

@stitchincarol – have a safe trip home. It’s my turn now…🚗

Happy Fri-yay! 🍹

Day 2, London, UK, NFD

Another day on my training course, another chicken salad!

It’s a quick one from me today, but it’s good to be back for this challenge and tomorrow will be my first FD in a while, which I’m also looking forward to, it sounds strange but my body needs a break from the excesses which have become routine!!

I would love to move in tomorrow, but I really need the blue bedroom and red dining room painted, then to have the house professionally cleaned before I move all my stuff. I’m hoping I’ll be in by the 18th.🤞🏽🙏🏼🤞🏽🙏🏼

Right, 20mins to get a coffee and review the info from yesterday, which went in one ear and swiftly out the other!!!🤭🤣🤣

“Eating breakfast breaks the fast. Skipping breakfast breaks the fat.” ~ Mokokoma Mokhonoana

Day 2 UK NFD

Plan for this month – back to basics 2 >500 cal FDs a week but work on the NFDs , just try to be consistent 💪

Day 2 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 230 lbs. Had an OMAD yesterday with the remaining stewed veggies/ground turkey my mom had, alongside a salad and a couple slices of cantaloupe. I think sickness increases metabolism; I lost a little over 3 lbs during a sleepless night; sleepless due to congestion and a runny nose…getting into bed late after having taken my mom to a sleep apnea study center to renew her CPAP machine. I would take a day off work, but unfortunately, I’ve been planning a workshop for a month and it’s too late to cancel. Hopefully, I can cancel my dentist appointment this afternoon and just go home and REST!!! Not sure why it didn’t occur to me yesterday.

Anyway, here’s to next week 🙂

Day 2 – UK – NFD

Yesterday’s FD800 was a successful one – today will be a OMAD as OH and I are having a special meal out at one of Michelin Star restaurants – no special reason just wanted to have a nice meal out

Walk with my regular walking group today – took it slow and 🤞sciatica pain feeling under control

Back home and a quick log on for accountability before I head out again, this time for a pedicure 🦶 so a bit of pampering

A good week and hoping for more next week – ” Don’t give up what you want most for what you want now.

Day 2 – NW IL NFD

Just popping in to give you all a greeting and say yes, I am alive and well! Still keeping at my high maintenance of 163# and thrilled to be able to say that. I’m one of those old-timers back from #coda and 2016 when I began 5:2 and lost 40 pounds.

We are comfortably in our new house and the swimming pool hubby wanted is finished! It’s a big in-ground joy for everyone. Now very ready for the landscaping to begin on Monday to get rid of the mud and large weeds that have grown up all over. (Well everywhere that building trucks or machines haven’t packed down….)

Sending my best wishes to you all! Gwynne

Day 2 North Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Good fast day yesterday. Woke up with a shock this morning to find out that my daughter and family would be arriving for breakfast in an hour. I had no milk or bread. I thought she was arriving this afternoon. I have never tidied up so fast 😂. Managed to fly to the shops and pick up the essentials before they arrived. I have given them breakfast and lunch, made biscuits with one of the grandchildren and cuddled the baby to sleep. They have now gone to their holiday cottage to meet the rest of the family. I am shattered.

@songbirdme hi to you too, your pool sounds fabulous.

@at enjoy your meal out at the Michelin Star restaurant. I bet it will be fabulous. Who is the chef there?

@northgeorgia sorry to hear you are still not well. Good weight loss though.

@brightonbelle I am joining you on the back to basics 💪

@ funshipfreddie why has your cat been incarcerated? I definitely want to spend more time with the grandchildren. I love doing things with them, but it is nice to give them back 😜

@fatrabbit hopefully the cooler air today is helping. I too do not like it too hot.

@merryapple the puppy was found after 2 days and nights on its own. A farmer found it in a field quite close to a busy dual carriageway. She is so lucky to get her back. The puppy is really healthy and does not seem to be suffering any ill affects.

@stitchincarol hope you have had a good journey home.

Have a good day everyone.

Day 2 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾
    153.2lbs

Happy Friday all! A bank holiday here! Whoop whoop 😁 two nights out planned, two cycles planned (one for charity and a long one) and otherwise just relaxing…
    Welcome home @flourbaby – it’s great to have you back with us. We missed you but it sound like you had a fabulous holiday and now exciting times ahead for you! 🏡
    @funshipfreddie I can feel your guilt 🥲 Hzve a brilliant time away – she will be fine 💕 🐱
    @fatrabbit – what a trek! Hope you are hydrating today and get some electrolytes into you…
    @snowflake56 I love blackbirds… we have lots at my home place. Not so many at mine… more seagulls, magpies and starlings …
    Hurrah on the drop 👏
    @excelsior12309 hope you got all your shores done and today is an easier day for you!
    @bert1802 I must look up the sound wave video… god wouldn’t that be great! Cutting out snacks is such a result! Bravo… I have cut most out although I noticed today I was particularly tired… so reached for some chocolate.. very unlike me these days… and I have dinner out tonight! I must not have desert!
    Consistency is key @brightonbelle ⭐️ I’m with you on that. I haven’t worked out yet if one or two FDs a week will keep me in my happy zone.
    @northgeorgia sorry to hear you are not well.
    @at great to have you back with tales of lovely lakes walks and Michelin restos 💕💕 I do hope your sciatica improves… I suffer with it from time to time… consistency with cycling helps to keep it at bay… must be the position on the bike and the stretch of the legs… 🚴 Well hello @songbird me!!! How wonderful for you to swing in to say hi! Happy new home to you 🏡 – we love your check ins.
    @molij – isn’t it incredible how quickly we can tidy when we have to 😂 like @funshipfreddie I did think.. 6 under 10 – and you want to be nearer 🤣 but…. I do understand… I loved back from France because all our gang (nieces and nephews) were growing up and I felt very far away… they are all in their 20s now and we all have a great relationship so don’t regret the move for a minute.
    @stitchincarol – looking forward to hearing all about your vacation.. if feels like you have been gone for quite some time not lovely to have your check ins as you travel.

@merryapple – whoo hoo an elusive whoosh! Bravissimo ⭐️

Ok…so late to post, will be late to the party I’m due at… happy weekend. . There will be typos… I apologise.. but must rush.

Hoping to be a long weekend warrior by the way.. 🏹
    Small changes, big results 🥇

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Days 1 and 2 – USA/TN – CD

Since I began August at 145 lbs. after a sodium-laced meal, I only lost 1 lb. today, and I’m hoping to get back down to the 141 range within a week.

Day 3, Germany, NFD

@jaifaim I’m not very fond of magpies, two years ago they found the blackbird nest in the wisteria and killed all 5 small ones, the second breeding didn’t end well either, the magpies destroyed the four eggs. We removed the wisteria, last year the blackbirds built their nest on the woodstack and the nine young ones survived. This year they made built nest in the ilex but we don’t know how many young ones they had as we didn’t look into the nest. Enjoy your nights out and the cycling!

@funshipfreddie I guess the loss was water weight and it was after a FD, today I’m up 300 g. Poor Boo Boo, but I’m sure she will adapt. Enjoy your trip!

@at I’m sure you enjoyed your dinner, where did you go to?

@molij No wonder you were shattered but it’s nice to have them near to your place, isn’t it?

@songbirdme Good to hear you’re enjoying your new house and well done on staying in maintenance!

Day 3 UK FD 90.1 kg

Feeling a bit better today, hopefully I will manage a walk. Ate quite a bit yesterday but feel less bloated. I am glad it isn’t going to be as hot today.

Day 3 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾
    155.2lbs

I’m up and heading out on my bike but a quick post. Up exactly 2lbs after a lovely dinner out last night and 3 drinks… so @snowflake56 see how easy that happens… but it’s temporary 👍 I’d love to say i did this in the interest of research 😂 but nope… I let the good times roll as first catch up in a year with these pals.. 💕 I don’t like magpies either… they are brutes.. I do love seagulls but some of ours are becoming giants and bullies as people feed them at the harbour so we are creating a problem where there wasn’t one.. and then we complain about the poor birds..

@bert1802 I went looking for the sound wave video last night… I don’t think I found the one you heard as this one was 1 hr long… it worked at putting me back to sleep.. we’ll see for the weight. 😁

Hi @metatauta – good to see you… hi everyone else! Have a great day!

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 3 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 231 lbs. Feeling slightly better, at least no fever today… I’ll save the fasting until at least Monday…

Day 3 UK NFD

Ha ha you might think differently about seagulls if you had them nesting in your chimney the chicks start squawking at around 4am at the mo 🐣@jaifaim 🤣

Rare treat DS27 is staying for a few weeks and is cooking for us tonight , so far a relaxed but not too damaging weekend , first August FD will be Monday

Have a good Saturday all

Day 3 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

It’s so lovely to be home. On Thursday morning, we decided to take the scenic route from the small town in Missouri where we’d stayed to Omaha, and stay in a hotel close to Jazz on the Green, so we could enjoy that as the last part of our vacation. It was a peaceful day, and we thoroughly enjoyed it, and then we got home before noon on Friday–we were done with vacationing, LOL.

I spent two hours indexing my new organ music yesterday afternoon, then cooked supper for us and had a friend over to thank her for watering some of our plants; we’ll pay the neighbor boy to thank him for watering the rest and for mowing.

Ready for the report? 164.4 I’m purely astonished, as that’s essentially no change at all. I was afraid of seeing 170-something because I looked so MATRONLY in every mirror I saw. I told DH that we need new mirrors because what we have leave me looking far better than any mirror I saw while on vacation.

So the truth is that my body is approaching that of a grandma; I either have to accept it and give up, or have to be honest about the choices I make. Do I truly care? Well, when I want wine, a cookie, some of the chips DH is enjoying, a handful of nuts to nibble on–nope. Then, like a toddler, I want what I want, and that’s the whole story. When I look in a truthful mirror? When I struggle to figure out to wear because what I know would be perfect is too small for my body? When I glance down and see that my shirt is revealing rolls around my ribs? (That one is a real UGH moment for me.) When I think about how much better my health would be if I were thinner? When I huff and puff to go up stairs because I’m carrying too much extra weight? Yup. Those are the times I care.

So August will be all about reminding myself what I care about–what’s the quote about what we want? Ahh, found it, @at posted it: “Don’t give up what you want most for what you want now.” Perfect answer to my struggles.

Thanks so much to @merryapple for hosting July, and I hope you’re feeling ever so much better very soon!

Thanks to @jaifaim for hosting August!

Thanks for all the good wishes for a relaxing vacation; it was pleasant to check in when I had time and skip it with impunity when we were busy. Now I’m ready to be back to checking in daily, and keeping up the chatter. Most of all, I’m ready to not give up what I want most for what I want now.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 3 – USA/TN – NFD

Hoping this month to do more FDs than the 4 I did in July…I committed to Mondays and Thursdays, but probably will shift that to days that I work, which change every week. Sorry I am not the chatty type, except on the phone. I’m not being anti-social, but I do read most of the posts every day.

Day 4 UK NFD 89.6kg

Had to really hang on to the fast yesterday. I was so hungry 😔 But I told myself that I can eat tomorrow and I hung on until 4 pm. I then had a small bowl of corn porridge with half a red pepper, three small tomatoes, and a few stalks of tender stem broccoli and chillies fried in a little olive oil with spinach wilted into it and water added at the end to make soup. I added more water than usual so I could have two big cups of soup to help me feel fuller and it worked:) I add a few pieces of sun dried tomatoes to the porridge to add saltiness and flavour. This has been my staple food for years now and is such a comfort. I ate a raw carrot later to add another vegetable to bring it up to five a day. I always made sure to get my five a day last time I lost all that weight and am going to stick with it this time. I am confident this meal was under 800 calories although certainly over 500. But I am still working on getting into the rhythm and can possibly reduce that as success builds and I get more enthusiastic about the process.
    I looked back at my tracker and last time it took me 6 months to go from this weight to a more liveable 70 kg so I need to be able to live with this for six months at least.
    I finally felt better and went for a walk and I even convinced my son to come with me. He needs to lose weight even more than I do. I am hoping to get him to join me in fasting. I was actually able to keep up with him which is pretty amazing as a few months ago I could barely walk at all. I still need my stick and by the end I was lagging but it shows I didn’t do any lasting harm with that long walk that knocked me off my feet for a week. The body fixes itself after we challenge it to be ready to do it again if necessary, although I don’t think I will be doing the full walk around the hill again. 12 km is not realistic with my legs the way they are. But then again six months ago I wouldn’t have thought the mile and a half walk was realistic either!! I adore being out in the lanes and fields. It is 40 years since I had the opportunity to get out and walk and I hate that I am so slow and unfit that I can’t take full advantage of it. I just listened to ‘The Salt Path’ and was quite struck by the way With improved when walking just as I have done. Walking is the perfect exercise to stimulate the brain and get our bodies working as they should. My gait has improved enormously. I had been shuffling and taking tiny little steps but my stride has lengthened significantly again:) I need to keep moving and I am not going to let my weight be the thing that stops me. So I am going to get used to being hungry again.

Day 4 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾

Just checking in to say have a great day everyone.

I had a charity cycle yesterday and a club cycle today… unfortunately it’s back to grey and wet out there…but yesterday was glorious ☀️

Catch up later. 🚴

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 4 North Wales NFD

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦  – NFD

Logging in for accountability 😱

Happy S🌞nday!

Day 4 – UK – CD
    Day 3 – NFD

Yesterday was a lovely sunny one – I was out early to help marshall our local Park Run followed by brunch out with a couple of friends. Weather was good so did a short local walk 🚶‍♀️before heading home to catch up with home chore and feeling lazy in the evening we had take away pizzas from one of local vegetarian restaurants for dinner

Today is cloudy and still damp from the overnight rain but no rain is predicted for the day??? Meeting another group of friends for brunch so will need to ensure that I do a longer walk 🥾 afterwards to work some of those calories off…….

Aiming for a good CD today to set me up for tomorrow’s FD 🤞

@bert1802 – would love to hear a bit more about the sound wave video please
    @molij @snowflake56 – Friday night’s meal was at the “Source at Gilpin Hotel” – Chef Ollie Bridgwater (formerly of Heston Blumenthal’s ‘Fat Duck’) – The food was good but in our opinion certainly not the best of our local choices of Michelin star restaurants – we had heard about some issues with the service but on our night it was good apart from a hiccup with the timing of the wine serving – my white wine was poured when I still had over half of my glass of champagne left, then I had to ask for the glass of red as it did not appear when my duck dish was served……overall we thought the food was a bit bland although some of later dishes on the tasting menu did improve and some were stand out!

Will try to catch up on the posts tomorrow ”Don’t give up what you want most for what you want now.”

Day 4-No. VA USA-FD 800

It continues hot and humid here, but not so bad as last week. Today it will only get to 90 degrees….
    Weight is down a few ounces. Did some yard work and house work yesterday and some flexibility exercises.
    Fortitude to all the fasters!

Day 4 UK NFD

Enjoying the weekend , getting mentally prepared for an excellent FD tomorrow 💪

USA. Day 4

Like FUNSHIPFREDDIE, I am logging in for accountability. My accountability is to maintain right now. Reading all the emails here is helping me and giving me a new perspective. Every time I struggle, I remember how I could go out for a run or exercise at home. Unfortunately, I can’t do those things anymore but cannot think of another substitute. My gardens have been gardened to death and my house is overly clean, leaving me plenty of book reading time. Until my doctor says it is alright to play golf that is out. It is a shame that the only thing I can do right now is go out to eat, the very thing I don’t want to do! LOL

Excelsior12309, it’s very humid here, too. I am only one state away from you! Last night’s storm brought me 8 hours without electricity! 🤨

Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 316 total)

You must be logged in to reply.