What if…

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nicesthing 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• I have a doubt.
    So as I explained in another thread, I drink 5/7 days every morning and afternoon a cup of bulletproof coffee (coffe, coconut oil, coconut milk, full fat), I’ve lost 2 pounds in a week.
    My question is: as I’m vegan, high carb eater (i eat rice w/ steamed veggies almost every night), can this lifestyle help me lose the last 8-10 pounds or will it make me gain?
    (I eat no more of 1,5 cup of cooked rice w/ 2 cups of veggies)

Do you mean you eat the rice and veggies on a fast day or a non fast day? Because it might be rather a lot for a FD unless you are only having that plus a tiny snack in the morning. Brown rice is about 216 cals per cup, white medium grain about 245 per cup and you are having half again as much plus veg.. I’d suggest you reverse the quantities on fast days and have maybe even two cups of veg, predominantly green ones, with half a cup of rice. If you added the veg and small amount of rice to a cup of miso or veg stock, such as Marigold, flavoured with a bit of coconut milk and Thai herbs and spices you’d have a good filling fast day supper. Or maybe leave out the rice and have some tofu in the veg and broth? That would improve the protein balance. Be careful what brand of coconut milk you use as the cals vary hugely, so check how much would fit within your limit.

Hi Apricot, thank you for your reply 🙂

I don’t do 5:2
    I do IF 5 days out of 7 (saturday and sunday), plus I take two cups of bulletproof coffee (1tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of coconut milk) which are 149 each (breakfast and lunch)
    For dinner I have rice w/ vegs or beans w/ vegs depending on really what I want.
    My concern is: am I eating too many carbs for the fat I’m taking during the day?

You may be. That’s why I suggested reversing the rice versus other veg on FDs. But don’t reduce the fats, better to balance up by reducing the carbs particularly rice. There are a couple of sites that might help, though you’ll have to select from foods because of the vegan diet. Although wild, brown and red rice have good vitamins in small amounts (unlike white), you’ll get more nutrients by upping other things like aubergine, avocado etc and ensuring you eat a wide range of colours in your veg. Do you use Quinoa and buckwheat? They are high in nutrients, so maybe use them on some days instead of rice? Also, if you can find organic soya beans, use them as beans, not refined as milk. I expect you already use other pulses. Use olive oil as well as coconut, but maybe don’t cook with it, add it after, or else cook with it at a low temp. My husband was Vegan ( now ex on both!).
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-food-list.html
    The Keto calculator below gives an idea of ratios. If you are lowering your carbs, it’s harder to eat enough fat and protein as a vegan, as the rest of us (unless allergic) would use dairy, eggs, oily fish etc. and have a better balance of Omega 3 to 6. Do you eat flax and sesame seed? The widest variety you can manage is good, I’d say.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Oh, and this too. https://www.verywell.com/low-carb-vegetables-list-2242530

If you’ve lost 2lbs in a week that’s very good. But you need to stay healthy too, and as you know that can be tricky on a Vegan diet unless you are mindful of the range you are eating.

Yes, I do eat everything you just mentioned, not the chia seed because it seems I’m the only vegan who doesn’t like them.
    Thank you! Btw, I’ve noticed that as long as I don’t take my bulletproof coffee on saturday and sunday (I visit my parents and I follow their “normal” lifestyle) my stomach is annoyed by all the food eaten all day long and my energy level is not the same as my coffee days… And don’t talk about my hunger!

I follow a very concious, whatdoiputinmymouth kind of vegan diet. Don’t worry :3

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.