What do u do about hunger pangs during the fast???

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
What do u do about hunger pangs during the fast???

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  priderj 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• I am looking forward to trying this out!!! Nervous about weighing myself! I know that I need to lose about 20 for a start! Don’t like the feeling of hunger! Someone mentionned miso soup? Is that from powder??? Sammii

Hunger comes in waves, ignore it and it goes away. Drink hot water with lemon or I stick to tea and water. Keep busy and have a list of things to get on and do.

@sammii. It will be tough for about a month. Detoxing from sugar is the hard bit. Drink lots of water. The salty bone broth helps as the salt concentration means you absorb water into your stomach so it stays fuller for longer. A stretched stomach means no ghrelin (hunger hormone) is produced. I find that a few cups of coffee (no sugar!!) with a splash of milk is all I need. I also chew gum, it helps. Hunger comes in waves, so whey it comes do something to distract you until it passes. Get up go for a walk. Drink some water/coffee. Chew gum. After a while even if the “feeling” is there it wont bother you as such.

Cut out the sugar and that feeling of hunger wont be nearly as bad and wont happen as often.

I have found a mental method that really reduces hunger pangs and appetite too. So for me it is just a feeling of freedom not to be subject to hunger pangs and all other symptoms associated with fasting and being hungry. And I don´t have to suppress the hunger by drinking or the like to cut the hunger. So I have lost 15 kg´s in the last 3 months, doing 5:2, 4:3 and also 3:4. I have still some 10 kg’s to go, so by the end of February or in March, I will have reached my goal.

Someone interested to create a group helping each other?

All the above and watch TV, read a book, go on any forum and give them your 2p, phone a friend, walk the dog, search the internet for good things to do next time I have a holiday, have a siesta.

Well, what you suggest is really like painting on a rusty peace of steele. As soon as you don´t do what you suggest, the hunger comes back. Why? Because You have not addressed the root cause of the hunger and 95% will fail in their attemt to lose weight because of this. Unless you remove the rust before paintiing, it is just a quick fix.
    The remedy for this is a few, short meditation sessions and the hunger and ravenous appetite is gone. For good.

I have found a mental method that really reduces hunger pangs and appetite too. So for me it is just a feeling of freedom not to be subject to hunger pangs and all other symptoms associated with fasting and being hungry. And I don´t have to suppress the hunger by drinking or the like to cut the hunger. So I have lost 15 kg´s in the last 3 months, doing 5:2, 4:3 and also 3:4. I have still some 10 kg’s to go, so by the end of February or in March, I will have reached my goal.
    I guess I am in the same situation as you, but I have nu hunger pangs or ravenous appetite any more.

Someone interested to create a group helping each other?

I think the bottom line is that, in the beginning, you will have hunger. Your body isn’t used to fasting yet and your past experiences will take it very seriously. Maybe even react fearfully or panicky.

You don’t have to. If you’re curious enough, just pay attention to it and you will see that it doesn’t grow and grow. It just DOESN’T. It comes and it goes.

If you don’t feel like doing that experiment, get busy. Do anything: read an engrossing book, go shopping, clean out a closet, arrange a long walk in a new place with a friend. Just distract yourself.

You’ll get through a day, feel empowered by it and be ready to eat reasonably on your food days. Maybe you’ll even decide to optimize the impact by doing 2 back-to-back days. Maybe you’ll be a person, like me, who finds it easier to really fast and stick to water on Fast Days than to eat small amounts of food.

Experiment. See what works best for you. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment by thinking there’s something “wrong” about the way you’re doing it or it’s “too hard” if you feel hungry. Just be active, drink lots of water, avoid sugar and starchy foods especially when you’re fasting, get lots of sleep and tough it out for a couple weeks and you’ll master it and find it easier and easier. I think you’ll also find very quickly that you feel energized and whole lots better for doing it. I — and I’m all of 5′ tall — actually felt *taller*! I knew that was ridiculous, of course, but the unmistakable invigorating feeling I had was strong and really motivating. Hope that will be the case for everyone else too!

Well, I just did a mental excercise 5 times, in total less than 2 hours, and the hunger pangs and the ravenous appetite have gone for good (5 months now). So by not trying to defeat or fight against the feelings of hunger, just accept them and ask for more hunger pangs. Within minutes the the energy of the hunger is drained and the good thing is that they don´t come back. A truly amazing technique.

It truly is like that.

It does get easier with time. Not the best analogy but hunger pangs are like an annoying sibling. You just get used to them and put up with them.

What helps me is having other interests. I try to really get passionately interested in other things. You know what matters most to you and where your real interests lie. I love travel, books, my family, my dog, walking in new and old places, nature films, other languages and – dare I say it – sex! And that’s just for starters. Focus on anything that you really like. I only allow myself to think about food/ watch TV programmes about food etc. on no-diet days. I eat exactly the same easily prepared “meals” every diet day, so I don’t need to think what to cook or what to buy next for diet days.
    Apart from that enjoy the diet free days as much as you like. I’m lucky in that I don’t like shopping, so I have a pre-printed shopping list for every week and I go to the same supermarket nearly every week. If I see some different veggies somewhere, I buy them, because vegetables are mostly low in calories and they stay fresh in the fridge for a few days.

Hi, thought I’d chip in, and add my view to what are already sound ideas above. My ways of addressing hunger include: Always having a bottle of water handy, and sipping – because a lot of hunger is actually thirst; avoiding boredom, because one way of addressing boredom is seeking food or drink; remembering that I first started on 5:2 by doing a 3 day water only fast – any time I think I can’t last till tomorrow, I remember the 3 days and laugh at myself; and obscurely, I often have the Cold Chisel song ‘Little Bit of Daylight’ running through my head. The lyrics are not relevant but the chorus ‘Just Trying To Cover Up A Little Bit of Daylight’ means to me that that’s all we are doing – occupying ourselves. If we find ways that don’t include eating, it makes the time before the next non fasting day go easier. Hope there’s a kernel in there for someone.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.