Well I don't know where to stop – unexpectedly successful!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Well I don't know where to stop – unexpectedly successful!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi there, Since last October, I’ve been stalking the lovely MM’s diet advice through fasting, on to the clever guts stuff and now getting more Mediterranean in my habits. The main impetus was health as I’m getting older and feeling more mortal. I came back from indulgent summer hols at just over 9 stone (I’m 52, 5ft 1 and small boned, so that’s not thin…). I thought I’d be hard pressed (but happy) to maintain 8 and half stone till I climb in my coffin, but I’m now a shade under 8 Stone (thanks MM!)and started thinking – what the heck, let’s get down to wedding day weight of 7.5 stone and roll out a bikini next summer. Well it’s now tougher going of course and having just done the: how many calories do you need calculation, I can see why. For someone my pathetically spindly size and age, I get a return of around 1600 calories a day.

Anyway, here’s question. On this website, I’m told this is what I should aim for on non-fast days. But other sites give me the same answer even though there isn’t a fasting assumption made. So am I right in thinking that 1600 is what I need every day just to maintain weight – and that I’d carry on losing weight if continued with fasting days as I’d be in deficit (if I don’t cheat and exercise as much as I claimed to do?).

I might just decide to stablise now, in which case, if I continue with a fasting day (just the one), that gives me more to play with, calorie-wise, on my non-fast days doesn’t it? So if I have 500 cals on Monday, I can afford 1600 cals on other days plus an extra 1100 cals saved from Monday to spread over the rest of the week? I’m naturally greedy, so every calorie matters – but obviously don’t want to undo what I’ve done so far.

While I’m posting, can I also ask – I’ve recently read something that suggests being a bit more portly once we’re over 65 is actually more likely to lead to longer life, i.e. a slightly higher BMI might be good for us? Any insight into the whys and wherefore’s? Doesn’t really seem to make sense, but I haven’t done any research yet.

Thanks a lot

Hi, lovestowalk, congratulations on your success so far.

To your last question: I asked my MD if older women [I’m 69] ought to carry extra weight as a ‘buffer.’ She said, “Why would you want to do that?!?!?” She is impressed with my current weight and my low BMI.

If you think you have reached your Target Weight and want to go down to one Fast Day/week, then you’ll just have to see if that works for you. Try it for a week and see what the scales say. I’m 5’5″ with a small frame too. My happy weight is 7.5 stone. I still Fast 2 days/week and have a Slow Day calorie intake of 1390. 1600 sounds kinda high to me, but if it works for you, then do it.
    The thing about Fasting is that you learn what works for you to get to the weight you want.

Good luck

Thanks fasting me. 1600 sounds high? How depressing – I thought it was disappointingly stingy! Anyway, I’ve never done 5:2 – I found 6:1 was enough, but I combined this with breakfast-skipping and tried not to go too much over 1200-1400 calories on days when I wasn’t fasting.

I’ll see how it goes with 1600ish when not on my fast day – interesting to hear what your GP said about the need for a buffer – must do more research!

Just yesterday I heard an article on TV, by a reliable MD, who said that the ‘obesity paradox’ was garbage and that overall, losing weight was better for older people.

If you are using 1400 as a calorie limit for Slow Days, why change to 1600? You will find that the appetite decreases as you continue Fasting. Do what works.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.