Weight Watchers any better?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  shiwen55 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi all,

I’m new and thinking of switching from weight watchers to 5:2 plan, has any one tried weight watchers and if yes, what is the difference/which one is better?

I’m mainly asking this as I have reached what is called a weight plateau and I have been the same weight for the past couple of months on weight watchers so, am thinking of switching plans to break this, else I’m quite happy with weight watchers. What is your Pros and Cons?

Thank you.

Hi shiwen55. I lost thousands of pounds on WW over the years, keeping track of food groups, eating their dinners and snack bars, counting calories, counting points. And I gained all of the weight back, over and over again because eating that way wasn’t something I could do long term. It took me about 7 months to lose 17 kg with 5:2. I didn’t feel deprived because I could eat whatever I wanted (within reason) 5 days a week. I only had to count calories, 500 of them, 2 days per week. That was doable. It was pretty easy. I could do any 2 days I wanted and change them around if needed to avoid holidays, business trips, dinners out with friends, etc. It doesn’t require a lot of thinking about it since there aren’t any forbidden foods or special foods I have to eat.

After losing the weight, by the end of last year, I saw no reason to abandon the plan. I just eat a little more on the 5 non fast days, where I was more mindful when losing. I never count calories on non fast days. I don’t indulge in binge eating either, but I don’t deprive myself. I’ve been able to maintain my “skinny jeans” weight for almost 6 months now with no problem. I don’t feel deprived because even on my 2 fast days, usually Mondays and Thursdays, I always know I can eat what I want the following day. I’m so accustomed to my 2 FDs that they are almost automatic.

For me, WW was a diet. I couldn’t keep eating that way long term and counting points or whatever for everything I put in my mouth. I can count calories for 2 days, but not willing to do it for 7. 5:2 is a way of life. I don’t see any reason to ever abandon it. It’s sustainable.

[Cali, I seem to be following you today!]

Shiwen, I know people who have tried 5:2 but found they had no will power and switched to WW. They were happy there because they could eat all day. If you found that WW didn’t work, you might well be a candidate for 5:2. It helps if you plan your food in advance and have activities to distract yourself from thinking you are hungry. Also avoid starchy carbs on Fast Days and stick to lean protein to feel fuller.
    As Cali says, 5:2 is for the long term and is a sustainable way of life. I’ve been doing it for 5 years.
    let me know if you need recipes.
    Good luck.

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your encouraging comments, much appreciated !!

Yes, and I would like some recipes and some advise on how to get by on fast days.

I know what has caused this plateau. I think with Weight Watchers, you can eat as much as Zero points foods, in fact they all have calories so, calories add up.

Thank you.

Some recipes: Note: if you leave out the smoothie & coffee my way [lots of milk] you reduce it by 141 calories.

Asparagus ScrOmelette: 300 calories 9.3 g fat 3.4 g fiber 17.7 g protein 37 g carbs [33 g Complex] 299 mg Calcium PB GF A fine book called The Flavor Bible lists what flavors are compatible. Guess what? Few things go together as well as asparagus, Parmesan, and eggs!
    1-1/2 two-oz eggs HINT: If you are serving one person, crack three 2-oz eggs into a small bowl or glass measuring cup. Whip up those eggs and pour half of their volume into a jar with a lid and put it in the ‘fridge for next week. 1-1/2 oz asparagus, sliced and cooked 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated 1-1/2 oz applesauce blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or green smoothie or natural cider
    Brew the hot beverage and prepare the smoothie. Put the asparagus into a pan which has been spritzed with non-stick spray and cook until it is warm. Whisk the eggs with the cheese, salt, and pepper and pour into the pan. Scramble or fold like an omelette. Enjoy with the applesauce and enjoy your day.

Smoked Salmon Bake: 292 calories 8.0 g fat 1.9 g fiber 15.2 g protein 44.6 g carbs 223.2 mg Calcium PB GF Gosh this is good. You must try it!
    1 two-ounce egg ¼ oz smoked salmon, crumbled into pieces 2 Tbsp scallions, green & white parts, diced or sliced 2-3 tsp chopped parsley 1 Tbsp chevre [goat cheese] ¼ cup blueberries blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water 5-6 oz fruit smoothie, green smoothie or natural apple cider
    Put the scallions and parsley into a heat-proof ramekin. Microwave for 30 seconds. Add the salmon. HINT: I did this the night before. Beat the goat cheese and egg together until the cheese breaks up into tiny lumps. Pour into ramekin and stir all together to mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs. Brew your beverage; dish the fruit; shake that smoothie.

Greek Chicken Salad: 295 cal 12.8 g. fat 4.8 g fiber 23.7 g protein 26.5 g carb 240.3 mg Calcium PB GF This recipe was long ago clipped from a magazine and stored in the recipe file. When I saw it, I recognized that if most of the olive oil were removed, it would make a smashing Fast meal. We like this one a lot.
    1 and 1/2 oz chicken, roasted and shredded 1 and 1/2 c. shredded romaine or 3 oz salad greens 1/4 c garbanzo or small white beans 2 and 1/2 oz tomato chunks or 1 c cucumbers, cubed 3 black olives, pitted & sliced 1 oz feta cheese, crumbled 1 and 1/2 tsp lemon juice 1/2 tsp olive oil 1/2 tsp each of mint, oregano, parsley
    Prep the meat, greens, tomatoes, and olives as described. Measure the lemon juice, olive oil, and herbs into a salad bowl. Whisk together. Add the greens and toss to combine. Add the chicken, beans, tomato/cukes and toss gently. Top with the olives and feta.

To survive a Fast Day:
    1. plan the food in advance
    2. eat a good amount of lean protein
    3. eat slowly, savoring the food
    4. start drinking water right after breakfast, and drink it over the next 2 hours.
    5. set the timer for 2 hours. when it rings, have a cup of tea.
    6. set the timer for another 2 hours.
    7. start a project in the afternoon that will take 2-3 hours [may continue it the next day]
    8. think about tomorrow, when you can eat more and be slimmer too.

I lost 90 pounds on weight watchers and kept it off for three years. I really loved it. I was in a group I liked with people I liked and a leader I loved.
    Then I fell off the wagon and just couldn’t get back on. I’d go for a few months and then not want to go to meetings and gain the weight back.
    For me the problem was that in my head if I didn’t go to the meeting I didn’t watch my diet. And I realized I just didn’t want to go to meetings. While I liked the people and the leader, I’d really heard all of it before. I didn’t want to get up on a saturday morning and go.

Deciding that I could change my eating habits without weight watchers was a really good thing for me. But there were times when I really needed that support.

I guess that’s really the question. Are you getting something from the program? If you are stick with it. It’s an excellent program. It’s an excellent source of support.

If it’s not working for you, them move on.

And there’s this. You can try other avenues and they don’t work for you, you can go back to WW and they will take you back. Their like family that way. They always love you. (Ok, mom doesn’t demand $44 a month for loving you, but other than that 🙂 )

Also there’s no law you can’t do both WW and 5:2. No one will tell the diet police. Or at least I won’t tell. I don’t about anyone else on the forum. <_<

Hi. I too have lost weight with WW in the past. I haven’t put it all back on but quite a bit of it… Like others, I just got a bit bored with the counting and general routine. There are plenty of free foods these days but I feel it’s time for a change so am trying this again. I am interested in the health benefits of fasting too.

Hi !!!!

Sorry for late reply, was not intended 🙂

Many thanks for all your sweet comments. I still have WW subscription, but for the past few weeks, I have been counting my calories (agree, I’m bored with entering numbers!!), using myfitnesspal helps, and I have realised I’ve lost a bit of weight, although I wasn’t that committed.

I am still preparing for fast days, actually, I’m not ready yet (scared might be the right word!!).

Thank you folks,

regards,

shiwen55

And I forgot to add, I have started jogging again 😀

And my goal is to be able to cycle to work by next year (it’s about 10 miles each way)

Have great evening,

shiwen55

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.