Wanted – Fasting Buddy!!

This topic contains 285 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Fastizfun 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 286 total)

• Hi Everyone!

First fast day of this week, and third fast day so far. Not at all hungry this morning, my coffee and water is more then enough to get me through the morning. Going to eat at lunch time and then fast for the rest of the day since I have an appointment after work so this should keep me busy and keep my mind off food. By the time I get home it will be almost time for bed so the day should go quickly.

I have noticed that on my non fast days my appetite has shrunk a lot already. Went for a pub lunch on Saturday and ordered my usual, could hardly get through half of it when before I would leave nothing behind. I was well impressed with this, it was nice to leave food on my plate but still be full and satisfied with my meal.

I didn’t get the chance to weigh myself this morning because I was rushing out to work and forgot all about it. I’m thinking I might wait until next week to see what I will have lost after 2 weeks of following the plan. I definitely feel lighter and more energized so I would be expecting a loss of some sort.

Elkster I’m in Canada too – Calgary – we have been having such lovely weather so I think that helps keep me out of the kitchen and more inclined to get out and walk or do something more active.

Well done everyone, the weight loss on here is so inspiring! Hope you all have a good Monday!

Elsker & Galway girl, I am in Canada too in BC. I started my 5 the week of fasting today and I have to say my last fast day wasn’t too bad. The headaches finally stopped but I did have trouble sleeping. Fasting today and Thursday. Might be a bit tough as we had friends over last night and had a few gin and tonics! Celebrating buying a new house here in BC so exciting times ahead! I started off the diet weighing myself in Holland 4 weeks ago so no idea on my weight loss until we go back in 2 weeks. It states on the website to use the same scales, but a find did say last night I was looking like I lost weight. 2 black coffees for breakfast and planning an egg white omelette for lunch….fingers crossed I can stick to it as really hungry right now!

Hello, fasting buddies! I am in my 2nd week and holding strong. The scariest thing was going for 3 full days without a fast – Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were oddly more stressful than a fast day. I was scared to weigh myself after the weekend. Will weigh tomorrow after my fast day is over. People are starting to notice I am looking smaller and clothes are definitely fitting better, so I know I am heading in the right direction.

My go-to right now for fast days are kale chips: I roast kale pieces in the oven at 375 with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste for about 10-15 minutes. They burn fast, so you have to watch depending on how fresh your kale is. You can have like a whole bag of kale for like 50 calories and basically just the olive oil cals. Fills me up and gets me through to the next meal and SO healthy.

A lot of what I am learning to do is just be comfortable with the feeling of hunger. I feel we are always told to eat, eat, eat when we are hungry, and it is OK to be hungry. I have felt much worse things in my life and the key is to stay busy and it never lasts much longer than 10 minutes and then I forget about it. I really feel like I am doing my body a favor by not stuffing food in every day. I am really hoping it will help my migraine headaches which have been linked to inflammation. Fasting is meant to reduce inflammation, so fingers crossed…

Would LOVE a private FB group.

Hi,

I am in Canada as well (London, ON). I am on my second week, 3rd day of fasting overall. When I weighed myself yesterday, I was a bit disappointed as I had only lost 0.3 kg. Not what I was expecting. But I did have several BBQs this weekend, with beer and lots of unhealthy food. So I guess I should be happy to not have gained anything.

This day so far is going well. Keeping really hydrated definitely helps a lot 🙂 The hardest part is not to grab lunch with my colleagues but instead staying at my desk. Makes me feel a little isolated.

I am going on a family vacation on Saturday and really don’t know if I’ll be able to keep this up. But I am hoping to stay strong!

Good job, everyone! Keep at it!

Hello all, you’re gaining so many members so I hope you’re still open for more! I’m from Nottingham UK, I’ve been on low cal for a month, and 5:2 for a week, this is week 2 for me now. I’ve lost 8.5 in 5 weeks which I’m really pleased about. I started at 12 stone 8.5lbs and am now at 12. I want to be 9stone something. I don’t care if that something is 13.999, but I’ve not been below 10 stone since I was a kid! I’m a teacher and the hectic days get me through my fast days really easily, sometimes I need a wine or chocolate fix to relax so that has been hard on the fast days, but lovely on the non fast days. 🙂 I’m weighing in every Wed and Sat, and fasting on Mon and Thur. Loving the diet, and I hope I can stay in your group. 🙂 xxx

Hi Everyone!

Tinkabay I totally understand your feeling of Isolation, after I had posted yesterday we had some visitors to our office who brought in Starbucks and Tim Hortons for everyone. All the yummy stuff and everyone was standing around chatting enjoying their treats….I had to just go sit back at my desk because it was really tough to watch everyone when I was fasting and couldn’t join in! But I just tried think of the bigger picture, and I’m actually really proud I managed to have the will power not to cave and eat the donuts!

The rest of the day went fine until I got home and my neighbor called around for a cuppa bringing with her some birthday cake from a party at the weekend. I just said I would keep it for tonight instead and didn’t make a big deal even though inside my inner devil was screaming at me to eat the cake 🙂 I have such a sweet tooth so this is really where I am struggling but I find that peppermint tea in the evenings has really helped with sweet cravings so I’m going to stick to that on my fast days.

I tried to have a sneaky weigh in this morning but there is either a problem with the scales I bought or its because of the surface in my apartment (carpet or Lino) because I get a different reading each time I step up and if I move the scale over to a different spot it is a completely different reading again!! Very frustrating as I would like to see how I am doing but I have my measurements so I will check in in a few weeks and I am already feeling better in myself so couldn’t be happier.

Canada Day tomorrow – and my first ever Canada Day – so we have the day off. Hopefully this does not lead to undoing my hard work but we will see what happens. To those of you celebrating it…enjoy the holiday! To everyone else from other parts, hope the week is going well for you all. July 1st tomorrow where is the year going to??

Hello Everyone! Welcome Pinkadoo and TinkaBay! Tinkabay London is very pretty place I haven’t been there since I was little. Pinkadoo sounds like you are having success, I am slow and steady. Ali that is very exciting moving to a new home, I find it hard when we have company too. Summer I am finding a bit tricky for me but will keep moving forward. Gateway girl Calgary is a very fun place to be you are very lucky.Canada day tomorrow and the Stampede starting on Friday that is a very fun time in Calgary…Enjoy! Chapelhilgirl I bought some kale today and am going to try the Kale Chips, I bought the kale whole I should have bought it in a bag..next time. Yesterday was hard for me on the fast I didn’t do very well so will fast on Thursday and Saturday. Happy Canada Day!

Well I totally overdid it yesterday for Canada day drinking too much and eating salt and vinegar crisps at midnight, I think part of me knew I was fasting today so over compensated last night. Does anyone else have this issue?

Hi everyone and welcome Pinkdodo and Tinkabay.

Ali I went mad the other day as well but it was the day after my fast day 🙁 I made the mistake of eating a couple of sweets in the car when we were on a day trip and that was the cue for more sweets, crisps, an ice cream and a cream cake later in the day! I went over my TDEE by about 700 cals! My only consolation was that I walked around the wee Island of Millport which must be about 10 miles 🙂 and I had done about 18000 steps the day before walking the fife coastal route from Aberdour to Burntisland and back. We’ve had a few days respite this week and were trying to take advantage of it.

On the whole I don’t think that I have done too much damage as I went on to fast from 5pm on Wed until around lunchtime Thurs (fast day) when I had a mini box of raisins and at 4pm I had Spiced chicken breast with salad, a cup of tea and mini raisins. I plan to start eating at 9am this morning so at least I’ve kept up with my version of the 16/8 lol. The scales are continuing in a downward trend and I reckon I will have lost at least a pound by Monday and it will surely be a miracle if it’s any more!

Hubby seems to have lost 3 pounds since he started on Monday and I’m hoping this shows at weigh in on Monday coming as it will help keep him motivated. I was grilling the chicken for us both last night when he asked where’s yours? 🙂 and he asked what sort of a diet doesn’t allow me a tablespoon of Coleslaw? I had to point out that he had taken a banana with the extra 100 cals 😉 On the whole he’s being a good sport about it all and since he likes unsweetened black coffee yurgh!! it’s hardly a hardship! Well onwards and downwards folks good luck 🙂

Hi Jeanne, I guess that’s the whole point of this WOL, so you can eat naughty things sometimes. Hard getting rid of the guilty feeling though as my whole life I have tried to eat healthy. One thing I have noticed is the day after a fast day my digestion is great. I have Chrohns disease so this is really a break through for me.

Scales seem to be stuck, but hopefully will weigh myself back in Holland in 10 days and will see a difference. I was 63 kilo and wanted to get to 60 before our holiday. I work out 5 times a week, so am pretty fit but those last 3 kilo won’t budge!

I might add in another fast day this week to see if it makes a difference. I read conflicting information that adding another day doesn’t make much difference. Has anyone tried it with good results? We go on holiday in 3 weeks so just wanted to add that final push for the dreaded bikini…..

Hi everyone

2Ibs off today 🙂 3 more until 1st goal. Hubby lost 4Ibs on his first week so it’s all going well here. Good luck everyone.

Hi everyone! Been a while since I last posted. I decided to try something called Whole30 first before I continue with 5:2. I feel like it’s a great way to jump start eating clean, and then once I can incorporate more foods, I’ll start 5:2 again. It looks like all of you are doing fantastic! Good luck and see you in a few!!

Friends, have been quiet here while having a nasty virus last week. Was running a fever and only managed one successful fasting day since the book does not recommend fasting while your body is sick. Have stayed mostly under my TDEE and once I felt better, I was back to the exercising full on. Weight was stable, so I figured after a big loss and then illness, body was holding onto weight. Managed to make it through a big holiday weekend here in the USA without overdoing it. Today is a regular fast day for me and I am hoping the scales will start budging again soon. Good news is friends have started noticing I am looking smaller. Am super hungry today and and just trying to work through it and keep my mind occupied. Knowing you all are out there in it with me helps A LOT. Thinking of all my international buddies in fasting…

Good Morning Everyone! I am down to 134lb slow and steady. Last week was the first week school was out here, so it was a bit of an adjustment. I think this week will go better. Good Job Jeannie! Ali sounds like you are very fit. I don’t know if I could do a 3rd day of fasting especially in the summer. I found fasting 2 days last week very difficult. Chapelgillgirl I hope you are feeling better. I hope everyone has a good week.

That’s great Elsker. Well done! I am fasting today as its fits better with our social plans. Find I have to switch the days around a lot depending on lunch and dinner appointments. My husband invited the neighbours over for dinner on Sunday so didn’t manage a 3rd fast day last week. I did skip lunch though on Sunday as I was busy preparing the dinner. Made up for it with the gin and tonics with the neighbours, but was fun anyway. Going to LA on Friday for the weekend, so will fast today and Thursday. Hoping all those skinny people in LA will motivate me!

Hello, all. Down another pound! Feeling back on track. Keep posting please, friends. It really inspires me to hear how everyone is doing. I have 43 more pounds to go and it is a long journey without friends.

Hi Ladies, I hope you don’t mind if I join in?! I’ve been reading your posts, mostly on my fast days to keep me focused. I completed my first fast on Thursday 25 June, I’m fasting on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I started at 142.4 lbs, now weighing in at 138.8 so I am pleased with my progress. It’s great that we can come here for support and encouragement. For me, my weight gain was very rapid. I have been breastfeeding my now 2 1/2 year old child (he was resistent to weaning….I am considered a complete weirdo because of this) but hurray….he is finally weaned….and I went from 134lbs to 143 in 5 days, yes complacency, yes my diet got lazy but I exercise every day, I run and deluded myself into thinking I could eat anything so this approach might just help me to focus on myself a little I hope. I am quite isolated, stay at home mother with 2 kids, and I believe in cooking from scratch so I try to do food prep the day before my fast days for my OH and kids so I can avoid the kitchen. My rant is almost over, (clearly I don’t get out much :D) Anyway, just thought I’d share the things that help me, I make a batch of veg soup 139kcal for 466ml portion, also I stir fry kale and brocolli with garlic and chilli and 1 tsp rapeseed oil ( steam the kale first) for a more substantial meal, I have also tried zero noodles, I don’t like them in soup but they are better stir fried with kale. also, I try to avoid carbs on fast days, because I crave them if I eat them. Congrats everyone on your weight loss. xxx

Chapelhillgirl hope you’re feeling better 🙂 and you’re doing great not to have put on while ill and well done on your loss! I’m going nowhere as I’m too nosey to see how you all get on lol! Think of Georgina losing a pound a week for 20 odd weeks! Elkster slow and steady is the way for me too..I can almost taste 9st 3Ibs!

Welcome and well done UpTipp. It just shows that if we have the will to do these things when we set our minds to it we can do it! I don’t get out much either and nowadays my best friend is the internet lol. It’s my go to place for inspiration on all things health and well being 🙂 You don’t have much to lose and you will get there. Think of the nice long walks you can take the baby 🙂 That will not only provide a distraction but you will be getting some exercise in 🙂

I try to pre plan too and I usually make a huge pot of lentil soup as I really hate all other soups. My pot does 3 of us for four days in the winter! I worked it out at 137 cals a bowl. We tend to eat a lot of eggs, chicken and salad veg on fast days. I haven’t yet conquered my urge to eat rubbish on my non fast days and I’m wondering if I ever will! I never used to eat like that as I tended to always watch what I was doing. It might be that I subconsciously feel deprived on fast days and go daft on the days I can eat! In any event I seem to manage to stay within my TDEE although I would like to strike a balance somewhere down the middle.

Anyway well done everyone and Chapelhillgirl I’m keeping a special eye on you ……..by the end of the month you’re going to be telling us you’re in the 30 somethings 🙂 good luck all xx

Did my fast yesterday and went well. Scales still seem to be stuck this morning but will fast again tomorrow and see how it goes. Struggling to motivate myself to work out as we are having a major heat wave here in BC. Well done everyone on their weight loss. We are having a BBQ tonight so will enjoy it knowing I will fast tomorrow. Do people struggle with this when their family is not doing it too? Husband was tucking into his ravioli last night while I ate my salad and looked a little sad! 🙁

Btw Chapelhillgirl I made kale chips yesterday and were great! Really feels like you are having a nice salty snack so will make them again tomorrow for my second fast day!

Hi everyone
    Well done Chapelhillgirl. You must be so pleased. As Jeannie said, (and I am sure you are all sick of hearing it!) I have lost 24lbs in 24 weeks – slow but sure. Because i have lost so much weight and can fit into clothes which i haven’t worn in years, i am in no hurry. My first target is 28lbs and then i may go for more. If you break your target down into, say, blocks of 10lbs, with a reward when you achieve it (and you will!) – it is much easier and far less daunting.

I am the same as you Ali – my husband has absolutely no need to lose weight so he eats normally. Fortunately he enjoys cooking so he cooks his own meals on my fast days which is a lot easier. But i do find it hard sitting next to him and drooling over his every mouthful!

Welcome UpTipp. Well done on your weight loss.

Sounds like you are doing well too Jeannie. It was lovely to hear about all that walking, both in Millport and the Fife coastal track. We have walked round Cumbrae many times – no easy task. I love walking also and walk for at least an hour each day.

Two fasts completed for the week – yay – now four days of normal eating. Weigh-in tomorrow – will it be 25lbs in 25 weeks? mmmmmmmmm. Watch this space.

Good luck everyone – fasting or not.
    G x

Hi ladies,
    Congratulations Georgina28, your consistent effort on the 5:2 and your great results are an inspiration. It must be great trying on things you haven’t been able to wear in ages. Do you plan to reward yourself with a new wardrobe when you reach your weight loss goal? I found your advise on breaking your goal into chunks very helpful.

Chapelgirl, I hope you are feeling better, I am looking forward to trying those kale chips they sound like the business. I’ve replaced my habit of munching on popcorn on my non-fasting days with dry roasted chickpeas (sweet chilli flavour) I’m in Ireland and you can buy them in Holland and Barrett I think the brand is garbanzo, they go very nicely if you are having a beer or wine as a nibble (88kcals for 65g pack) 🙂

Jeannie960, I too fall foul, at least once a week to going outside my TDEE, I try not to beat myself up about it, as long as it isn’t a complete blow out because I know if I feel I’m depriving myself I won’t stick to the 5:2.

It’s a fast day for me today, it went ok, I feel full but gassy :/ I’m very proud of the fact that I’m not the least tempted by the chocolate biscuits being munched by my husband here beside me 🙂

Anyway, I’m off to bed now ladies, I’m going to look forward to my breakfast tomorrow . Best of luck ladies

Hi UpTipp – glad I have helped a bit! I will look out for those chickpeas!

Well another 1lb gone! 25lbs – yep, you know already, 25 weeks. Oh my word – just 3lbs to go! I never thought in a million years I would achieve this. Off to Jo Malone for a treat!

Good luck everyone!

Gx

Woohoo Georgina that’s brilliant! I’m going to get those chickpeas too! I go on the scale every morning about 8 just to keep an eye on what I’m doing and today it’s showing 9st 4.06 I’m praying it’s 9st 4Ibs on Monday when I weigh in 🙂 I’m already thinking ahead to the next goal! Fair fed up with this weather though as it’s quite restricting when trying to get out and walk!

The weight is dropping off hubby with seemingly no effort whatsoever! He’s looking like 8Ibs down from the 29th June. Oddly enough he never eats anywhere near his TDEE. He’s never been obviously fat as such as I think he carries it well and can be deceiving but his cholesterol was up last time he went to the docs. I wasted no end of money on benecol! I’ve been telling him it must be the beer that caused the weight in the first place 😉 You would think he was a raging alcoholic to hear me lol but he would have a few wee bottles of beer or a couple of malt whiskys a few times a week while watching sport. He’s not interested in either just now and seems focused although I’m not sure if he’s just going along with the plan to keep me happy as he seems neither up nor down by his weight loss. I think maybe we women make a bigger deal of these things. Anyway I’m setting goals for him even if he’s ignoring them 🙂 Onward and downward folks

Up at 4am to get my flight to LA. Fasted twice this week and stuck to my TDEE on other days, but the scales seem to have gone up! Totally disheartening but then I never usually weigh myself at 4am…..hoping this is the reason! Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Ali, I had a scale blip last week. I went up a pound for a couple of days, and then back down 2.5. So literally 2 steps forward, one step back. To say i freaked when i saw the weight gain would be the understatement of the century. If i continue on this path, i will have 10 lbs off by the time i hit 1 month on the diet on 7/21. That is the current goal.

Am much more in tune with my hunger now and find that i am staying inder my TDEE on most days, but some days i am starving and i go right on it or a bit over. New plan is to try and stay busier on fast days. Keeping the mind and body busy helps! Happy friday, all!

Hi ladies, hope your weekend is going well. Ali, try not to obsess over the scales, I got into the habit of weighing myself once a week on the same day, in the morning and have been doing that for last few years, just to keep myself in check. Your weight can fluctuate hugely from day to day depending on lots of things, water retention, muscle gain, your menstrual cycle, etc. Try to use the same scales in the same spot and don’t weigh everyday despite the temptation because the most accurate measure of your progress will be keeping a once a week weighing regime. It’s so tempting to weigh when you’ve fasted or feel a little lighter but when everything equilises it can be slightly disheartening. I’ve no doubt that even if you experience a plateau, keep going, the weight will drop off 🙂
    Jeannie960, congratulations on your loss, and it’s great you’ve got your husband on board too, for his health and also because you can support each other, that has to make the fast days a little easier 🙂 My husband attempted it, he doesn’t really have weight to lose but was interested in the other health benefits, he lasted about 6 hours and then ate all around him. 😀 He calls my fast days, my starvation days, it’s quite funny really.

Chapillhillgirl don’t be disheartened…we will get there!

I’m hoping to get down to 125lbs (that’s the dream) I’m so sick of my muffin top, I’d love to look alright in my underwear, (I’m not too worried about the bikini necessarily, I’m in Ireland so even though it’s summer here, the chances of sunshine are slim to none 😉 Anyway ladies, best of luck ..enjoy what’s left of the weekend

Good news: one of the reasons I started on the fast diet was the reduction in inflammation. I have chronic migraine and inflammation is one of the things that triggers migraines. In my 3 weeks fasting, I have reduced my migraines considerably both in frequency and in severity. The weight loss is awesome, but that is even better. Much of my weight gain happened when I went chronic a few years ago. Drugs and treatments I tried resulted in about a 25 pound gain in 3 years. Hoping this is what I have been looking for and I will continue to improve. Still holding strong for 3 more lbs by 7/21. I have faith.

Thanks everyone this really encouraged me. I was really disheartened on Friday morning when I stepped on the scales. Although enjoying myself in LA I actually had the motivation to go to the hotel gym on Friday and today. Back to Vancouver tomorrow and will fast tomorrow and Wednesday. In Malibu today and could fit into a USA size 4 so I guess something is working! Going to have beautiful final dinner with my husband tonight and will enjoy it (sushi so healthy!).

BTW if anyone is looking for a good workout DVD I often do Gillian Michaels 30 day shred. They are only 28 minutes long and focus heavily on arms and stomach. We can all fit 28 minutes into our day a few times a week right?

Enjoy your Sunday everyone from a very sunny LA… I honestly think I am the only person in this city with real boobs though! 🙂

Hi everyone

1 pound off this week 🙂 Got an uneasy feeling about this as I’m down to 9st 5Ibs and I recall getting stuck at that a few years ago. I couldn’t not matter what seem to get below the 5Ibs so I’m hoping 5:2 pushes me beyond that.

Great news Chapelhillgirl that’s really the benefit of the 5:2. You don’t realise the impact of diet on overall health until you do something like this. Lots of folk have reversed diabetes, hypertension and other inflammatory conditions such as your migraine just by adjusting their diet. I’m on omeprazole and would love to stop taking that but unfortunately my reflux is actually caused by not having enough stomach acid therefore I have to eat at some point. Apparently fasting for any period of time can exacerbate it. I keep looking for ways as I hate the idea of being dependent on any medication.

Ali Jillians shred is lying at the back of the wardrobe somewhere 🙂 I got it a couple of years back and found it just too much. That woman is terrifying 🙂 I just can’t bounce around these days I just don’t have that kind of stamina and I wish I did! I used to run like the wind and could wield a skipping rope with the best of them but now I know my limitations lol! I decided to shake up my routine. I’ve started doing that HIT and before anyone gets carried away I only do 3 minutes a week 3 times a week 🙂 I do the 2 minute warm up on the bike, 20 seconds hell for leather and repeat x 3. In total 3 x 2 minutes (including warm up and cool down) and 3 x 20 second bursts in between. Apparently it’s just as effective as doing 40/50 minutes a few times a week. I’m going to do this on a Sun, Tue, Thur evening and for the other days in between I going to do my arm workout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F4Din-A_7I and my hula hoop.

Anyway here’s to a better loss next week. Onwards and downwards folks and good luck with your weigh ins x

Ali, a size 4 in Malibu is tiny! Congratulations! There is no vanity sizing in Malibu. Only the real stuff. Jeannie, don’t let the head game mess with you. Just keep doing what you are doing and your body will go where it is supposed to be.

I am doing my fast day today with a sick kid at home, which makes it a little bit more challenging as I am fixing kid food and snacks all day while I am not eating. But I am doing pretty well and have lots of work and care-taking to keep me busy and out of trouble, so I am not too worried about making it through the day.

I love walking for my exercise – I do 3-4 miles about 4-5 days a week, but I have been adding HIT to it recently – I will run for 5 minutes every half mile or so and I think it is making a difference. I have a Bob Harper yoga DVD I love I need to go back to as I always felt really peaceful after and it is a kick-butt workout. I was always team Bob 🙂

Good Morning Everyone! Down to 133 pounds, yeah. I think it is slow and steady for me. Last week fasting went well. It was like I finally got and it is starting to become a habit. I overate on the weekend but did not overindulge on my non fast days during the week. I have been walking a fair bit everyday but I do think I need some toning. Ali I will go to the library and check out that dvd if that one is not there I will find another Jillian DVD. I hope you are enjoying LA.
    Welcome Uptip! sounds like you are doing well. I struggle cooking for the family and planning my fast. I keep trying different things. I am baking less, find it hard to say no on fast days when cookies are coming out of the oven.
    Chapelgirl good job, it that is good that this diet is helping with your health. We will all reach our goal weight and look fabulous:)
    Georgina, awesome job you are an inspiration to me. 25 weeks 25 pounds…wow!
    Jeannie good job I did weight watchers a few years back and seemed never to get below 129 once I got there it was like I gave myself permission to gain the weight back. I hope that doesn’t happen when I get there. I think this plan is easier since we can eat the rest of the week.
    My fast days will be Monday Thursday this week. I have to bake some bread today and I hope I can resist.

Hi All! I watched the BBC video Dr. Mosely did “Eat, Fast, Live Longer” and have just found this site. Have most of you read his book- or just wingin’ it? I have been trying to find sample day menus on this site, but don’t see any. I’m from Canada too Elkster. The results folks are having are encouraging, and it seems quite do-able. I guess it’s just getting started. Would love some ideas re. fast daily menus- or direction as to where to find them. Thanks! 🙂

Elkster I bought it from Amazon. Was not expensive, but 2 of the Workout DVDs are online:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEz0VGxsiqc

Heading back to Vancouver today and trying to fast whilst travelling. Challenging as husband had me up at 6am to take a flight at noon….groan! Happy fasting everyone and welcome newbies. I read both books and it helps understanding the benefits.

Welcome SJDcn! I have read the book and found it useful. I find I cannot eat to many cars on the fast days or my calories get used up fairly quickly. I am still on a trial and error and trying to find out what works with the least amount of work.

Thanks Ali! I am committed for the next 30 days to do the workout. I think I will give myself a reward at the end of the 30 days workout…not sure what either clothing facial or massage:) Have a safe trip back to Vancouver.

elkster, love the idea of a reward! If I successfully make it through my first month, need to think of something nice to do for me. Haven’t had a facial since kids were born. Might need to put that on the agenda.

Yesterday was a fast day and hunger was a major issue. I white knuckled it and made it through on target, and then woke up at 2am when my 5 year old had a nightmare and found myself starving and unable to go back to sleep, so I had a bowl of Special K after I got her back to sleep. What is the thinking on WHEN the fast ends? Did I cheat? Was I supposed to make it to the morning? I counted the calories toward my TDEE for today.

Hello Chapelhillgirl, I think it is better to be kind to yourself and it is better to count it towards the next day that way you don’t set yourself up for failure. When you have a little one waking up in the middle of the night is is hard enough on a non fasting day and the good thing is that you just had a bowl of cereal. I think that means you are making progress:) That would be progress for me!

So I am back in Holland and I weighed myself! I lost 3lb in the 3 weeks I was in Canada. Weigh in at 5.30am this morning (jet lag sucks!). Fasting today despite the early rise so hopefully the scales are down again tomorrow. Very happy as was worried this wasn’t working with the Canadian scales! Now motivating myself to work out with my DVDs…more black coffee first I think!

Chapelhilgirl – the very fact you are doing this with a 5 year old getting up in the middle of the night is amazing! Stop beating yourself up and focus on the days you can control!

I am rewarding myself with a nice facial next week. I think it’s important that we do this no matter how small the success! 10 days until our holiday so going to focus on staying in my TDEE and working out.

We are going on holiday to the Muskoka lakes north of Toronto for a week with friends and my husbands kids so I think fasting will be tough. Do most people give themselves a week off during holidays?

Xxx

Hi folks

You’re all doing brilliant 🙂

I had a rough fast day yesterday and ended up about 50cals over. We went from 5pm on the Wed until 5pm on the Thursday as hubby felt that grazing on a fast day didn’t work for him. As it was he did great and didn’t eat until around 6pm but my head was pounding. I had been drinking plenty of water throughout the day but I think that it
    was because it was a stressful day all in that I didn’t cope with a long fast.

Hubby decided to take ten feet of the leylandi hedge at the back of the garden and he’s working on the opposite side asking me to keep him right! I ask you what’re you supposed to do when the cutter juts through and lopes off a huge chunk leaving a window where there shouldn’t be one!:) He says you should have been watching what I was doing and given me some indication I was going wrong. I was demented with him lol! and then mum was getting bored and in need of stimulation so I was running between the two. Tell you I was glad to go to bed!

Ali I’m thinking manicure and facial 🙂 I have fingernails for the first time in my life! I must have been deficient in something as my nails were always soft and easily broken. Add to that my hands were never out of water formally being a nurse and a housewife. I started to take evening primrose oil recently and I’ve seen a noticeable change in my nails, skin, hair and sleeping. They were recommended by my GP for sore boobs 🙂 and heyho after a couple of months I’ve found all the anecdotal evidence surrounding them to be true! Well in my case at least 🙂 Yep I’ve been looking at groupon for a cut price manicure and facial although I plan to wait a couple of weeks until I feel my nails are a respectable length 🙂 I have a weekend respite at the end of the month and I’ve still to find something for us to do so things to look forward too.

Here’s hoping I’m a bit skinnier on Monday…..scales showing 9st 3.04 this morning! I was aiming for 9st 3Ibs by the end of July so here’s hoping I don’t move up a pound by Monday. Onwards and downwards and good luck everyone 🙂 x

Down another pound this week despite having a boozy weekend in London! Very happy as I haven’t been this slim for a couple of years! Fasting today so hoping to be down to 60 kilo by the end of the week which is my goal for my holiday on Saturday! Well done everyone!

Wow – I haven’t posted for a while but have been reading the chat, and everyone is going so well! It’s really inspiring.

Jeannie – maybe you could make the “window” in the hedge into a feature! Does it have a view on the other side?

ChapelHillGirl – I just bought a bag of kale so I am going to try making those chips tomorrow…mmmm…yum!

I had a light-bulb moment today! I am now about a kilo lighter than I have been for about 15 years but don’t really feel it…possibly because it’s been so cold here (it SNOWED!!!! a bit further up the mountains, which is a big deal here in Australia) that I have been wearing layers and layers of clothes and feel like a blob. Anyway, it was milder today so I went for a cycle. Couldn’t get my cycle pants to stay cinched in and kept trying to find out what was wrong with the buckle. Then it hit me…it’s not the buckle that’s the problem, it’s me that’s got smaller. Woo-hoo!! I was so happy and inspired that I cycled further than I’d planned. Double win!

Keep posting your successes and setbacks please everyone – the successes motivate me and the setbacks let me understand that I am not the only one who struggles sometimes, so no need to beat myself up over it.

Hello Everyone,

This week there was no loss in weight, I found it hard to stick with this week. Very busy at home. I did do the workout 3x last week and it went well, very doable. I am going to aim for 4 times this week. Fasting will be Monday and Thursday this week. I will go to the farmers market and pick up loads of fruit and vegetables.
    Sounds like you are all doing well. Good Job! I love reading the posts. Have a great week

Hi folks

Well done ali it feels great getting into things with more comfort. Natty all hubby served to do was open a window to the houses on the path behind our house! That hedge gave us great privacy. He’s had to take it down a bit lower to accommodate the bit he loped off. Never mind elkster you’re still on the right track 🙂

I’m aiming for 9st now and am currently sitting at 9st 3.08 but I expect that to drop by the weekend as I’m being good 🙂 I sense my weight loss slowing so I need to stay good! Today’s a fast day and we had steamed veg for lunch with some blueberries and Greek yogurt to follow. Tonight it’s a chicken rice dish with snap peas and mushrooms with a slice of melon to follow.

Got myself booked in for a manicure on Thursday which is the first thing on my list. The rate I’m going I need to rub myself out and start again 🙂 Odd thing I went out to the shops on Saturday and came back with nothing! It’s like my head hasn’t quite caught up with my new size in clothes if you know what I mean 😉 I had no idea what I was looking for or what I wanted it for but I just wanted to mark the occasion of being a stone less 😀

Anyway I wish you all luck to lose 🙂 and keep hanging on in there!

Well done Jeannie960! I know what you mean with the clothes! I fit into a size 8 (USA 4) this week and it was great! Hoping I get down to 60’kilo this week which was my goal. Only 1 kilo to go! I am actually fasting today and went out for lunch. I ate a quinoa tuna salad and hopefully this was less than 500 calories but it was a small portion. No breakfast and no dinner. First time I did this and I am very hungry at 7pm at night, normally I split it out over the day.

Well done on the workouts Elkster! I did the workouts today too so my arm muscles are aching a bit now!

Happy fasting everyone and this does work. I lost 3 kilo in 7 weeks.

Hi everyone, it’s great to see how well you are all doing, I’ve had a really bad week I fasted Tuesday and Thursday and really struggled this week. Has anybody else found it very hard during menstruation (sorry) I have had awful headaches and found myself unable to sleep on my fast days, I still have a headache today. I’m going away for a few days tomorrow with the kids and so had decided to fast today then Saturday so that I could relax a little while away but today was such a disaster, we had unexpected visitors this morning they stayed until 5pm then had to go to my inlaws and they ordered pizza, i hadn’t had any food and was trying to excuse myself and get home to get something sensible but I couldn’t get away at at 7.30pm I caved and had 2 slices of pizza and a coke..I feel awful now, I’m not going to weigh in tomorrow because I don’t think I can face a disappointment tomorrow. Sorry for the rant, keep posting all your experiences, it really helps especially when everyone around me is doing their own thing 😉 Good luck everyone

UpTipp don’t be so hard on yourself as sometimes life gets in the way. In this incidence I would just write that week off 😉 As time goes on you will have figured out how to get around most things. When or if I get visitors I stick to tea and ensure I have something low cal lying around. I think the headaches and sleeplessness could be down to you not taking enough fluid on board and could also be down to when you eat. Menst might have been a big factor as I used to crave sweet stuff……thank god I’m well past all that! I don’t eat before lunchtime on a fast day and then it’s a snack. I’ve finally gotten around to having a meal at dinnertime between 4 and 5pm…I have a final cup of tea and it’s water from there on in until 9am the next morning. It feels more normal for me to end the day with a meal. My sleep pattern was knocked off a bit at first but I seem to have settled down. That said mother had me up at 3am!

Go away and enjoy yourself with the kids and come back and start again. If anything some time out will help you think things over and plan new strategies to deal with things. As someone said this isn’t so much a diet as being a strategy for healthy living. You will get to the weight you want in time and we’re all here for you. x

I’m a bloke in my 30s and about to go for it! I worry about not being ‘accountable’ for my weight loss. Do others find this the place to get that?

I’m aiming for 4.5 stones of weight loss.

Hi North and welcome to the thread 🙂

Well done for finding your way to this point! I don’t know about this being the place to be held accountable but what I do know is you will find everyone on this site supportive of your goals. There’s a mine of information on here and you will learn how everyone else copes with all the ups and downs and the different strategies they adopt. There’s quite a few men on the site too from what I’ve seen. I have no doubt you will reach you weight loss goal 🙂 My husband was 14st 13.8 a fortnight ago and he’s lost 10Ibs to date! It took me 8 weeks to lose a stone! It seems men lose weight quicker 🙂
    Anyway I wish you luck and look forward to hearing how you get on 🙂

Welcome North! Well I am fasting today and much needed as I have had social engagements every night! Lovely to see all my friends while I am in Europe but plays havoc with the diet! Especially the wine! Despite being out the last 4 nights I didn’t gain any weight which I am surprised about. I ate a huge meal last night and felt so bloated afterwards. Going to fast today and Friday and hopefully lose the last pounds before my holiday on Saturday. Off to do my fitness video now!

Hi Jeannie960 thanks for that. I’m going to fast Thursday and Friday this week and see what doing 2 days together works like. Hope you’re right about men loosing weight quickly.

Thanks Ali. You’re making this sound prety straightforwad and flexible! Good luck with video!

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 286 total)

You must be logged in to reply.