Wanted – Fasting Buddy!!

This topic contains 285 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Fastizfun 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 286 total)

• Hi all, I am away on my half term hols this week but am going to try an FD tomorrow. I don’t have scales here so will have to wait until Monday 1st June to weigh in – by that time I will have done 3FDs so I will be hoping to see some sort of result. Fitting in exercise seems to be my problem so I have bought the Fast Exercise book. If there is something in there that I can fit into 10 mins I should be able to manage that. Well done Elkster, you are on your way.

Elkster, if you want a rice dish, you can use cauliflower. Just put it in a food processor until it looks like grains. Then you just heat it up in the microwave when you are ready. You can either just use it for yourself, or give it to your family. (I used it in a meal and my OH got halfway through before asking “Is this rice…or couscous?” so it’s quite a convincing substitute!). Because it has low calories, you can have quite a bit and you feel like you’ve had a big meal. Well done on the weight loss!

Nads – I have cooked a couple of different Fast-Day-Friendly meals in bulk and have frozen them into single portions so that I can just defrost one if I don’t have time to do something else. That way, if your family is going to be eating a meal that won’t fit in with your FD, you can still eat with them.

Hello Ladies, Just completed my 2nd fast day like you said NADS it was easier than the first. I made a slow cooker split pea soup and it had 240 calories per cup my family could eat it a and it was fairly filling. No bread and cheese with the split pea soup. I had 505 calories. I had a bowl of frozen fruit and a bowl of tomato soup for lunch. BattyNatty I am going to try the cauliflower rice the next fast day that would be nice to have that as a side and be filling. Sianyn I think by June 1st we will all see fabulous results. For the 10 minutes maybe walk up some stairs. I like walking I know it is not an intense workout but it is easy on the joints and I like getting fresh air.

Hello everybody~ I just signed on today and saw the cauliflower “rice” post. Very god suggestion. Cauliflower has so many ways it can be substituted. My daughter and her husband use it in all kinds of ways. They rave about the pizza crust made with cauliflower. Anybody here tried it?

So just thought I would check in to share my first week’s result: 1.5kgs down, 12.5 to go 😀 – I’ve been weighing daily but only going to record it weekly and on a Wednesday (I think I said Thursday previously, but it makes sense to do it on a Wednesday since I started this on a Wednesday 🙂 ) So I am rapt with that result, for those that don’t work in kgs, that’s 3.3lbs off. That is definitely motivation to carry on this way and to be honest, it has been pretty easy, don’t feel like I’m on a ‘diet’ at all! I need to step up the exercise as I’ve only been walking a couple of times this week due to it being sooooo cold!!! First FD of week 2 for me today and I am like the fact that I don’t have to think about food at all as my day is planned, will probably have a miso soup for lunch and then steak and broccoli with a bit of butter is on the menu for dinner tonight. Have a great day everyone 😀

Hello everyone. Can I join in too? I’m 34 and live in Watford, Hertfordshire with my two little girlies.

I’ve never tried the fasting diet, but I thought I’d give it a go as WW doesn’t seem to be cutting it with me. I don’t have a lot to lose, but I want my jelly belly to go. I’m 9st 9lb at the moment and want to be 8st 13lb (just to be in the 8s).

I think fasting will work for me as even when I’m not on a diet, I find it quite easy to go all morning with no eating and then start at lunch time. My downfall however is dinner time, the snacking after and the drinking of wine!

My first fast day will be Thursday and I will count calories (or points as it is so ingrained in me) on my NFD days and I will see how I go.

My FD will be Monday and Thursday as I will be at work and think it will be easier there. Only problem is I won’t have much time to prepare stuff, so will have to be uber organised.

This cauli rice sounds nice. Do you shred up the stem as well, or just the top bit?

My first FD will go along the lines of:-
    Breakfast
    Coffee – 38 cals (75ml semi skimmed milk)

Lunch
    Banana -95 cals
    Olives – 75 cals

Dinner
    Microwave meal from Asda which is tuna and pasta and only have 290 in it.

Hello Polyanna and Achieve!

Achieve – I would love the cauliflower pizza crust recipe if you have it!

Polyanna – I think it said to just shred the florets, but last time I just tossed everything in and couldn’t notice any difference. One cauliflower makes at least 6 big serves of “rice”. I have used it with steamed vegies and laksa paste to make a “stir fried rice”, and also as a base for mushroom stroganoff. Yum!

Now, if I could just find a way to make chocolate out of cauliflower….

Nads – that’s an awesome result! I’ve eaten a fair bit on my NFDs but still lost 0.6kg. I’m aiming for 0.5kg/week (as I don’t have a huge amount to lose) so I’m on track.

Hello Everyone! Welcome Pollyanna and Achieve. Good Job Nads. I would like to try the Cauliflower Pizza as well. Have a great day.

Well…

I’ve been keeping a food diary on my non FDs. Not counting calories, just jotting down when, where, why I am eating.

Interesting patterns. I know I like chocolate too much but I don’t actually eat that much of it. My BIG problem is non-mindful eating. (Sorry about the buzzword, but it seems to fit). About half my food is eaten while I’m on the computer, reading, or otherwise distracted. Quite often I have finished a sandwich, or a bowl of cereal, or a pile of biscuits with no recollection of anything past the first bite. I am quite shocked at how often I do it.

I have made a resolution to only eat when I am TOTALLY focused on my food with no distractions.

Other than that, I’m happy with the 5-2 eating. I am finding fast days much easier than I would have imagined. I am slowly losing weight, even though I am eating a fair bit on my non FDs, and I still have enough energy to exercise at the same level that I normally do. I’m happy!!!

Hi Polly and Achieve 🙂

Well that’s me back with the nose to the grindstone! Looks like a lot of us are weighing in on Monday so hope it’s good news for us all. I didn’t particularly eat loads but I think it was more what I was eating! On an island there wasn’t much past fish and chips that I fancied 🙂 I did try but at night I have to confess to a few wee glasses of Prosecco while sitting gazing over the water to the Isle of Arran. Any of you get the chance to visit Scotland then Millport is a wee paradise 🙂

Well I had a fast day on Friday (yesterday) which was my second for last week and now that I have all the toing and froing out of the way I begin in earnest on Monday & Wednesday with my fast days. I’m going to be extra careful over the weekend not to go over my allowance 🙂 I hope that I manage to get under the 10st as it feels better to see a 9 in front! I have been trying to get down to 9st for a few years and I always usually get stuck on 9st 5Ibs 🙁 I hope that by making this a way of life I actually manage it this time.

Well done Natty I think you’re doing a terrific job and it’s rewarding to see the weight slowly creeping off! I can relate to what you’re saying. Don’t ever give me a bar of chocolate no matter how big or small as it wont last an hour! I do the same thing occasionally. I also love crisps (potato chips) so I try to body swerve them as well. We drink a lot of tea and the inevitable biscuit follows….you know what they say “tea is too dry without one”! We never used to drink so much tea but it breaks up the day with mum and has therefore become a habit. I try to get around the biscuits now by snacking on a mini box of raisins. They satisfy my sweet tooth and I only eat a few at a time with my cups of tea. 1 box at 42 cals over the day with my cups of tea isn’t so bad compared to around 100 cals for a biscuit!

Well it’s a NFD today and I plan to try and watch what I’m doing. I think I need to make a rule not to eat after 6pm as that’s when I find I eat the most.

Hi everyone
    I wonder if i could join you? I was just reading Jeannie’s post about Millport – i live in Skelmorlie (just across the water) and used to have a caravan there. I am retired now and have been doing 5:2 since the end of January. I have lost 20 lbs so far with another eight to lose to my first target. I have lost a steady 1lb per week which i am so delighted about. I still struggle on fast days but manage to ‘get through them’. I look forward to reading all your posts. I hope you didnt mind me ‘jumping in’ !
    Georgina

Hi Georgina

Welcome to the group 🙂 We passed through Skelmorlie yesterday on the way back to Cumbernauld. What a lovely place to have a caravan we used to have one in Kinghorn and I loved it. My gran was born in Millport in the 1880’s and the family visited over decades so I have an attachment to the place. I know your parts quite well as I have had and still have some family in Inverkip, Gourock and Greenock. Wow you’ve lost a fair amount since end of January! I hope I can lose the stone I need to 🙂 Slow and steady seems to be the way to go and you sound like you’re well on your way 🙂

Hi Georgina! We are mostly newbies (2 weeks) so it would be great to have an old hand with us – especially as you have obviously been doing something right to lose so much weight. Any tips will be gratefully received!

Welcome back Jeannie! I hope you had a lovely break. Having a couple of drinks while looking over the water sounds wonderful…

Fast Day 5 for me today. So glad I wrote out my eat-list last night or I would have blown it already. It’s the first day of winter and we’ve been hit by an Arctic blast! I am so cold that I just want to eat comfort foods! Then a customer gave me a little box of home baked chocolate florentine biscuits…..today is a challenge, that’s for sure! But I can look forward to eating them tomorrow.

My weight loss is following a pattern…big drop from Monday morning to Thursday (as I’d expected) then a slow creep up to the Monday weighing. Lost 1kg (2ibs) overall so that’s exactly on target. Could speed it up by cutting back on the weekends (I’ve been a bit of a piggy on Saturdays and Sunday’s…..) but if I do that, I might lose interest so I’ll keep doing what I’m doing.

How is everyone else going? What do you eat on your fast days?

Hi Girls and any Guys too shy to join in 🙂

Well it’s weigh in day for me and my 5th fasting day to Natty. Like you I noticed a drop on the Monday only to gain some more of it back over the week. I was doing really well until I went on my break but overall I haven’t done too bad all things considered. Today Monday 1st of June I officially weigh in at 10st 0.6Ibs. On Monday 18th of May 2 weeks ago I weighed 10st 3Ibs so I have lost 2.4Ibs. I will likely see a drop tomorrow with this being a fast day but I wont let it fool me into complacency 🙂

Interestingly since I started this I have got chatting to one or two fellas following the intermittent fasting diet and they say that they only have 2 meals of 1000 cals a day ..1@12pm and 1@7pm over 6 days and one blow out day. The theory behind it being you don’t eat from 7 at night and have a good long fasting period until 12 the next day with most of your fasting time asleep. I’m going to try and incorporate that into my own framework but sticking to my allowances.

I haven’t ate since 6pm last night and will try to go until 12pm before I have anything…perhaps a low cal snack then a dinner. I haven’t thought too much what I’m going to eat today as I’ve developed a rip roaring ear infection 🙁 I had the beginnings of one a fortnight ago and took antibiotics but I think they were the wrong ones so it’s back to the doc for me 🙁 Och well it’s onwards and downwards folks so good luck with your weigh ins 🙂

Hi everyone
    Fast day for me today (and Wednesday). I am certainly an oldie (in age and in the length of time I have been doing the 5:2 !). I returned from a cruise in January and decided to lose weight. I set myself a target of 28 lbs which would take me down to 10st 12lbs. Now, 20 weeks in and i have lost 20lbs! Just eight to go and then i will go on to maintenance. I have found fast days quite hard but once i started to feel my clothes getting looser, it definitely got easier. I have never gone over my 500 calories and have never exceeded my TDEE. Steady 1lb loss each week ! I set my target weight loss but didn’t set a timeframe to do it in as I wasnt in any hurry. This made it so much easier. I do 10mins hula hooping each day and a 45 minute walk ! I weigh myself only once each week as i couldnt cope with seeing those numbers going up ! The 5:2 diet definitely works ! I am a true convert and i am so delighted that I decided to do it. Hope this helps anyone who may be struggling !

Georgina you’re doing brilliant and I hope I’m successful. Tell me did you adjust your TDEE as you lost weight? I have a hula hoop and I can’t go 10 mins straight with it before it falls 🙂 I’m going to start using my stationary bike since I can’t get out much for walking. I walked miles round Millport last week and it was hard going.

I don’t really have a time frame either to lose this extra stone but I would like to lose it for 5th December when I go to my nephews wedding in Buckinghamshire. The fact you’ve lost 20 Ibs in 20 weeks gives me hope that I might do better than I think. My ideal weight seems to be around 8 and a half stone but I don’t dare to dream. If I get to 9st it will be a major achievement and I have 27 weeks to go 🙂 I’m definitely not buying an outfit until mid November!

I will try to stick to 500 cal on fast days and my TDEE other days. The only difference I might add would be the time of day that I start to actually eat as I find I’m hungry later in the day. Also if I get into the habit of not eating after 6pm it will give me sufficient fast periods overnight which might help overall. I suppose it’s an individual thing where we all tailor it to fit our needs.

But a well done to you Georgina I really take my hat off to you as you’re showing us all the way to go. 🙂

Hi Jeannie
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I do reduce my TDEE each week. I presently have a TDEE of around 1700 calories and i pretty much use them all up ! On a fast day, i dont worry too much about when I eat. I usually allow 100 calories for breakfast, 100 calories for lunch and 250 calories for dinner. I have about three cups of coffee during the day with milk. I have a miso soup when i am very hungry and i have a sugar-free jelly in the evening with a spoonful of yogurt. I think it has helped me so much that i havent been in too much of a hurry – i will be doing 6:1 probably for the rest of my life and i am so committed to it. You will lose that extra weight! Patience is the key ! By the way, when i first got my hula hoop, i couldnt do any more than about 30 seconds without it falling to the floor. After some practise, it doesnt fall at all now. Try pushing back and forward instead of a circular motion. It does help. Good luck !

Welcome back Jeannie, hope you had a great holiday. Welcome Georgina, I love reading how everyone is doing on the diet it really motivates me and helps me to try to be accountable. I weighed in today was 135.5lbs down 3.5 lbs so far. Batty Natty it is summer here where I live. I find summer hard with all the barbecues and camping trips.

I am not tracking on the weekends and am enjoying my food. If i find I start slowing down in the weight loss I will be more diligent on the weekend and start tracking. I found the Thursday fast more difficult than the last 2. Today is my 4th fast. Good luck this week everyone.

Hello Newbies! I am also a first time 5:2 gal, I heard about this through a well known Hypothyroid advocate in the States (I live in Boston) and decided to give it a go. I don’t know if any of you have thyroid issues, but it’s tough to lose weight on traditional diets with it, and I really like this idea of doing it twice a week and the rest eating what I want. Plus I love the fact that you’re all an international bunch! I’ve lived abroad a few places, including New Zealand, and loved it 🙂

This is my 2nd day fasting (I started last week but couldn’t fit in the 2nd day!). It’s definitely tough!! I’ve got quite a bit to lose, but I’m taking it slow (probably around 50+ pounds, 25kg). I’m also tracking my food for the other days on Weight Watchers (just makes it easier for me since I’m already on it).

I’ve done fasting before- mostly from the night before until as late as I can the next day. It’s worked wonders on my energy level, and just feeling ‘clean’ in my body and light too. I agree with Georgina- fast days are no joke. But I’m going to stick to it and see if it gets easier.

Glad to find your group- talking about it makes it a tad bit easier! 🙂 🙂

Hi Xannyde

Welcome to our wee group which is getting bigger by the day 🙂 I sincerely hope that you achieve your goal..it’s not easy to lose weight be you 9st or 30st but I have a feeling the slow and steady route is the way to go…….Georgina is a prime example of what we can achieve 🙂 Imagine losing 20 Ibs in 20 weeks! It might not work out quite that way for most of us but it’s certainly something to aim for.

Georgina I really hope I get the hang of that hula hoop as I was brilliant at it as a girl. I need to get myself some of that sugar free jelly! I did ok today. I had a cup of tea this morning with semi skim milk around 11 am and at 1 pm I had a bowl of home made lentil soup 137 cals followed by a cup of tea. At 5 pm I had a Birds Eye Beef Grill and a cup of chopped Broccoli 201 cal and a cup of tea. I had a pkt of mini raisins 41 cals and a cuppa in the afternoon. I count 15 cals for my cups of tea so I spend around 60 cals a day on tea 🙂 It’s now after 7 and I wont have anything but water until tomorrow. I started an antibiotic today and I don’t like taking them without a spoonful of bio yogurt so I need to think about that over the next week…maybe take it with sugar free jelly 😉

Thanks Elkster I really needed that wee break! Well you seem to be heading in the right direction and seem quite confident with what you’re doing. I wish I was like that! I need to get used to working within a TDEE as I think sometimes I don’t eat enough and others too much! I’ve got to discipline myself in the sense I should watch what I am actually eating and make nutrition the priority 🙂 An ice cream and a couple of chocolate biscuits is a waste of about 350 calories! If I eat something sweet that’s the pattern for the day and too much of a good things bad for me!

Well onwards and downwards folks and on to the 2nd fast day on Wednesday. I’m going to make sure I enjoy the next two days 🙂

Good morning
    Well it’s a feast day for me today! Lots of treats lined up! What about all of you? It has been very stormy here in Scotland but thankfully it is starting to calm down. Wont be venturing too far but i am making a patchwork quilt for our son so that will keep me busy ! Hope you all have a nice day whatever you are doing ! Georgina

Oh my Georgina I went a bit daft lol. We had 4hrs off this afternoon as a respite carer came in to sit with mum. We went down to Aberdour and had a long walk along the coastal path and back (55mins) and then we sat down in the cafe on the beach and had a latte and chocolate caramel cake! I’m feart to count the calories of that but I bet it was no less than 400 cals 🙂 so it’s salad with a wee side order of oven chips for dinner lol. I think I have stayed within my TDEE though 🙂

What a lovely day Jeannie ! There is nothing nicer than a sea breeze followed by cake ! Perfect ! This is the amazing thing about the 5:2 – so long as you dont go over your calories, you can have whatever you want ! I am enjoying a lovely gin and tonic before starting the meal. Fast day tomorrow so i am making the most of today.

Hi folks

Fast day today and for the first time I’m looking forward to a weigh in on Monday :).

Going to start mum on this as I think I have been over feeding her 😉 She’s cuddly fat, 4ft 10″ and weighs 10st 13Ibs!! I might have to change my fast days to Monday and Friday to accommodate her as she goes to a day centre on a Wednesday. I will need to see how it goes. The beauty of it is she’s only on a diuretic every morning and apart from Alzheimers and being totally blind she has no chronic ailments. Her mobility is dreadful. I know that Alzheimers is playing a part in this but I’m hoping that weight loss might help a bit.

Well good luck with the rest of the week folks and onwards and downwards 🙂

Good morning!

Thanks Jeannie for your post! I had a tough day on Monday, just couldn’t do it the whole way through, I think I was piling on too many things so the timing was bad. But I’m taking it as a sign that I need to figure out what works best for me instead of trying to push myself into something that isn’t fun, and definitely isn’t working!

My mum has Parkinsons and was very heavy for a while- she lost a lot of weight (by basically eating very little) and lost quite a bit. The weight loss (although I don’t agree with how she did it) really helped her physically. And it’s a lot easier for us because we can help her up easier.

I’m doing my fast day today, and feel loads better than Monday, so I’m hoping it’ll be easier today! Funny, the first fast I did a few weeks ago wasn’t that hard. Anyway, wishing all of you the best with your fasts & feasts. Choosin’ to lose!!

Can I join in too? Just read these posts and it all looks very supportive. I work from home but get out to walk my dog at least ! I need to lose about 12lbs ideally. So is it weigh in on Monday fast for Monday and Thursday and then eat fairly normally for the rest of the week? What about a glass of wine 🙂

Xannyde you will work your way through it and if you fall off the wagon get straight back on again 🙂 The more pounds you see falling off the more keen you will become. I hope your day has gone ok. It’s so far so good with me 🙂

I know what you mean about your mum being lighter making things easier. My mums 87 and has a very sedentary lifestyle. She’s lost confidence in her walking and she used to be so light on her feet. Her balance is affected by a combination of age and Alzheimers. I struggle sometimes to help her sit up straight in bed or get in and out the shower and she gets exhausted easily. She’s fed up with herself as she wants to walk. I know it’s the extra weight she’s carrying and since there’s a lot of seniors on here with a lot more chronic conditions etc I figure she can do it and it might help in the long run.

Hi Ziz and welcome to our wee group 🙂 It is supportive as we can all share our experiences from the outset. I should imagine a wee glass of wine is ok if it’s counted in calories and you don’t go over your 500 (although some say a wee bit over is ok) or your TDEE.

Georgina I found Hartleys sugar free jellies 🙂

Hi folks
    Two fast days almost complete (yay). Definitely getting easier – and definitely easier when the weather is nice ! Did some gardening and did my 10000 steps (the first time for a week!).
    Hope everyone is doing alright. Weigh in on Friday so fingers crossed. We are off to Palma for five days on Sunday so i am having a week off from fasting. My first break since January. Will be walking loads and will try to keep to fish and salads!
    Delighted you found the jelly, Jeannie. It is delicious! My two life savers – sugar-free jelly and miso soup – for when things get tough !

Welcome Xannyde and Ziz, I love reading the posts everyone writes. I had to do my fast this week on Monday and Wednesday and found I was really gassy on Wednesday anyone else have that problem? Normally not a salad eater and ate a salad for supper the last 2 fast days. Jeannie sounds like you are doing a brilliant job with your mom. Alzheimers is a tough disease.

I think I will try to do left overs if my family doesn’t mutiny on the fast days. That would make things a lot easier. I am finding it hard to bake for my family when I am on the fast days. I love baking too! I think today was a hard fast day for me. Looking forward to Mondays results. I will keep my fingers crossed! Good Luck to you all.

Hello Xannyde and Ziz… we are getting a good group of 5-2ers here!

I had my 6th fast day yesterday and it’s the first one I’ve really struggled with. I had a crappy day at work, and then at home too so I had the grumps. I felt quite hungry all day and kept going to the fridge and staring at all the things I couldn’t eat. But I made it through the day and stuck to 500 calories. And I DIDN’T TOUCH THE CHOCOLATE IN THE FRIDGE!! Normally if I am feeling down, I would scoff the lot, so that is quite a milestone for me!

It must be hard for those of you who have to cook for other family members who aren’t on the 5:2. Can you leave them to fend for themselves on those 2 days? I am lucky that my OH and I share cooking so he’s quite happy to do his own thing on my fast days (although he had some of my cauliflower stir fry on one of my fast days and asked whether it was cous-cous or rice!)

Jeannie, would your Mum be able to do the 5:2? If she agrees that she’d like to lose weight, it would probably be so much easier for you both to be eating similar things.

Ziz – I drink a glass of wine most evenings on my NFDs. I am writing down what I eat and drink on these days, but not counting calories and not really restricting what I eat. On FDs, I am very strict with myself though, and stick to under 500 cals. As long as I lose around a pound a week, I’ll keep doing it like that, so yeah – I think a glass of wine is fine!

Elkster – I find winters much harder than summers for eating. It’s been REALLY cold here the last few days so I want to eat more. I keep thinking about hearty casseroles and hot sponge desserts with custard! Although, as you say, the barbeques and camping trips, are a challenge. But as long as you stick to the 2 fast days, hopefully that will balance it out!

Georgina – I’m a fan of miso soup too (I add steamed vegies to it and it almost feels like a real meal!) and I’m going to look for that jelly…

Georgina have a great holiday if you don’t post between now and sunday 🙂 Thanks Elkster life can get challenging at times lol.

Natty a lot of the time my mum is ok and it’s just late afternoons after she’s eaten she gets sundowning and wants to go to sleep. She gets a wee bit away with the fairies at that time and is generally in her bed by 6pm. She comes alive again around 7pm! I suspect it also has something to do with the blood being diverted away from the brain to aid digestion of the stomach contents. If she’s more confused than usual you can normally pinpoint a reason i.e constipation, dehydration or whatever. She’s really bad at adapting to change of surroundings which is no surprise really and can get more confused when she’s in respite care which isn’t often. If there’s a discussion to be made on anything different I wait until the morning when she’s at her most lucid and it was during this period we agreed for her that it might help her to follow my dietary routine. I tweeked it a wee bit for her and will give her 600 cals on the fast days and take the extra off the 5 non fast days. That way I’m still giving her foods etc at the times I usually do. She’s always complaining I give her too much anyway 🙂 She doesn’t complain about chocolate and ice cream though!

These wee sugar free Jellies that Georgina and I are going on about are only between 5 and 8 calories and they’re good size portions 🙂

Thanks Elkster and BattyNatty for your warm welcome! Enjoy your holiday Georgina, and hello fellow newbie Ziz. Jeannie, I got through the day! yay! 🙂 Hope your’s went well too. Good luck with your mum, mine goes back and forth between being present and not being present. So I cherish the moments that she’s lucid.

By the way, I’m loving your screen names. Very creative.

BattyNatty, that’s a huge achievement…I’m a huge chocolate lover so I know how it is. Knowing that I will have it soon (ie tomorrow) helps quite a bit. Yesterday was a big achievement for me. I also checked my weight and am down 2lbs so it was all worth it. I was all hoping to wake up this morning to a huge breakfast, and funnily enough the thought of it this morning was just too heavy. So I made myself a delicious green smoothie with mango, banana, basil and lettuce. It was totally yum, refreshing and actually pretty filling. I did splurge later for a chocolate croissant (hence my choco-loconess).

Happy end of the week everyone!

Good morning everyone
    Well – another 1lb gone, never to return. 21lbs in 21 weeks. Oh whit !,,,,
    Hi Ziz – welcome ! Wine is fine – just remember to count it in your daily allowance. I think half a bottle is 300 calories ! Good luck !
    Hi Elkster – i love baking too but since starting, i dont really crave biscuits and cake like i used to. It was just a habit that i have managed to get out of. Fingers crossed for Monday.
    Hi BattyNatty – i totally agree – fast days can be very hard. I find keeping busy is the answer. I was really struggling on Monday so i went out for a two hour walk. I have a Garmin Vivofit watch which counts my steps – i managed to clock up 15000 and my hunger had really subsided! So two positives!
    Hi Jeannie and Xannyde – what an amazing job you are doing for your Mums. I used to care for my Mum also – very hard but we wouldnt have it any other way ! Great news on the 2lb weight loss, Xannyde.
    All the best for all your weigh-ins ! I will be cheering you on !
    Georgina x

Woohoo Georgina keep up the good work 🙂 I think I’m losing too and I can hardly wait to weigh in on Monday.

What a morning on the phone being passed around to every Tom, Dick and Harry as folk seek to pass the buck. By virtue of a lovely District Nurse mums getting bigger pads and an Electric Bed…….result! 🙂

Thanks Jeannie. What a stressful morning for you but sounds like a great result.
    Good luck on Monday !
    Georgina

Thanks Georgina and you have me inspired! I’ve been on the bike every night for 25 mins and hula hooping for 10 mins after it…..mind you I can’t keep it up for more than 5 at the moment 🙂 Also had the kettle bells out and did 10 mins to a you tube beginners work out. I’m going to do that at least 3 times a week and I have hubby looking out some of his exercise gadgets….you know the thigh squeezer thingy and this gadget that you press to improve your core 😉 I only hope I didn’t pap them out into the charity bag! Roll on Monday I’ve been holding steady!

Oh my goodness Jeannie ! You are putting me to shame! Cases packed and enjoying a nice glass of Rioja! Up at 3am to catch the 0650 flight to Palma so early night planned ! Early flights always seem a great idea at the time until that alarm goes off at 2am ! Fingers crossed on Monday – i will be checking ! x

Is there room for one more? Everyone sounds so supportive. I’m doing my second fast day today. I have a wedding this afternoon and am hoping to find some veggies and lean meats at the reception. I have been following Low carb/ high fat for close to 6 months. I eat no wheat or grains at all. I’m hoping to lose 30-40 pounds. I’ve only lost 11 pounds in the time I’ve done the low carb. Disappointing since I have sacrificed wheat!!! It’s funny though, I don’t miss it at all. Wish me luck.

Hi

NatMau Welcome to our wee group and good luck with your fast:) I know what you mean about not missing things as you get used to not taking something. I gave up biscuits
    (or cookies as you might call them) which I thought would be hard and I’m getting into a better routine with my diet to. My weigh in day is Monday (fast day) and I have already had 6 fast days over 3 weeks…..the middle week was a right off as I was on holiday and gained half of what I lost the first week 🙁 I think I’m back on track though so here’s hoping tomorrow 🙂

wow check out the roasted cauliflower recipe

http://www.lavenderandlovage.com/category/posts/general/5-2-diet

If I could only figure out what to use instead of onions as I’m allergic to them.

they have cauli pizza on here too.

Good morning everyone. I went to a wedding yesterday. I did not stay with my fast day although it was a 22 hour fast before I ate dinner at the reception. It was an open bar and I only had diet coke. I’m not much of a drinker. I had a small piece of cheese cake, no crust. I believe I stayed under my TDEE. Weekends are not great fast days, I’m thinking.

Have a great, rest of your, weekend. Fast day tomorrow.

Hi, I am a new one here and I would like to have a fasting buddy.
    I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina :), but whatsapp, viber or other app may help us to communicate. Please let me know your thoughts.
    P.S. I would like to take 10kg, I am not fat but I am not at my best edition also.

Bye

Hi, I am 27 and i live in Bosnia and Herzegovina :). I’ve been reading all your posts and I would like to join.
    My goal is to lose 10kg but I am not sure if I can do it all by myself :).
    I am from Mon to Fri on work, working in an energy related company so my food usually includes something quick and unhealthy. This 5:2 really looks tempting so I’ll try it starting from tomorrow. 1st Fast day – Monday.
    Wish you all good luck and if someone wants a fasting buddy, feel free to contact me.

Well…I am not looking forward to my weigh-in tomorrow (today actually, as it’s past midnight!). I’ve been a little piggy the last few days, so I think I’ve undone any good work. I have a total inability to have just one piece of chocolate…once it’s opened, I will eat the whole lot and I find it very frustrating to not understand why I do it. I am very judgemental of people who can’t stop smoking (“it’s simple…just cut back to a couple a day, then stop all together”) and yet I can’t apply the same logic to chocolate!

On the positive side, I went for a lovely (and fairly strenuous) bushwalk today. Lots of big, steep hills. We took a little camping stove and made breakfast (porridge and coffee) on the top of a cliff with amazing views. The cold snap has passed and we had a warm sunny day (21C).

Thanks for the link to the cauliflower pizza crust Jeannie…I am going to make it for my next FD. Having tried (and loved) cauli stir fry and cauli mushroom stroganoff, I am becoming quite a cauli fan!.

Xannyde…chocoloco-ness is a GREAT description!
    Natmau…wow, you did well at the wedding! My spell checker tried to change your name to Batman so you must have superpowers…
    Georgina…have a lovely holiday! I am aiming for the same loss as you’ve had – 1 lb or half a kilo a week, which doesn’t sound like much until you say “21 ibs in 21 weeks” and then it’s pretty amazing, so well done you!

Nat I wouldn’t even try to stay on fast at weekends 🙂 But well done anyway on staying within your TDEE. Ladybird welcome 🙂 We’re all fasting buddies together here and we’re learning from each other. I wish you luck and say that if you’re determined you will find a way of spreading those 500 calories over the day twice a week. It’s great on the other days when you know that you can eat albeit within your TDEE.

Natty don’t knock yourself woman do exactly the same thing. I just try not to have it lying around as it’s like a magnet!

Well now for the good news….it’s WEIGH IN DAY {{{{drum roll}}}}

Last Monday I was 10st 0.6Ibs and today I am 9st 11.06Ibs

a grand loss of 3Ibs for the week 🙂 🙂 🙂

Now the not so good news…..it’s a fast day and we’re taking mum out to Largs for the day 🙁 There’s a shop there that sells the best ice cream ever (Nardinis) and we wont be able to have some!

Good luck with your weigh ins folks x

Good Morning Everyone! Welcome Ladybird and Natmau. I definitely cannot fast on the weekends. Jeannie thank you for the link for the roasted cauliflower recipe. Batty Natty the weekends I struggle and do not track. Georgina your weight loss is inspiring, I hope my cravings for baked goods go away.

On the plus side the 5:2 is working I am down to 134b. I am very happy about that. Today is my fast day and going to try something different this week. I am trying to learn to like salads. This week should be easier because the farmers markets starts so the produce will be fresh. I will cook a large package of chicken today and use it for both my fast days and be able to feed my family. I think it is trial and error to find out what works. I still figuring it out.

I am fasting this week on Monday and Wednesday.

Have a great week!

Hi there!
    Another newbie here 🙂 Can I join you guys?
    I’m on my second week of fasting. I have 10kg to lose. I think I might have lost 1kg last week, but not completely sure (I really need to get a digital scale, I have one of those old school scales 🙂 )

I usually step on the scale Friday mornings, so hoping for better results this week, especially because I run around 30-35 km/ week and do strength training, so hoping that this in combination with 5:2 will result in weight loss soon. Also trying to limit calories to 1000-1200/day for the other days, excluding Saturdays, where I can eat a bit more “relaxed”. I have 6 weeks before I go on vacation, so I really need this to start kicking in because I know that the better results I get during these 6 coming weeks, the stronger I’ll be in fighting temptation during vacation period.

Go fasting champions!

Have a great week!

Hello fasting fabulousness! Hello Patricia, Ladybird and NatMau,

Patricia- have you taken a look at the Beach Fast diet? It’s kind of the fast track version of 5:2. It gives a lot of tips for when you want to lose fast.
    Natmau- good for you for doing low carbs etc! I’ve done atkins before (long time ago) and lost a ton of weight, but after a few months couldn’t keep it up (and south beach). I’m also hoping to lose about 40 (probably more if I’m honest). It definitely helps you feel less hungry when you do low carb.

Congrats to Jeanne & Elkster for your weightloss- You are a fasting champions!

BattyNatty- I’m in the same boat as you. Last week I just ate like crazy. I fasted but the next day felt like I was unstoppable. I think it’s because it was the week prior to my period. And, speaking of period (I’m kind of assuming y’all are women!), it was really bad. Was out of it all weekend, exhausted, felt terrible. So I think I may be one of those who should take it easy on the fasting when I’m getting it. So I’m going to leave it for this week and start up next week again. And I’m not looking at the scale either. Ugh!
    Anyway, hope you all have a great fasting week, and I’ll be checking in soon!

🙂 🙂

Welcome Patricia! Xannyde I think we just need to be gentle on ourselves or else it will be hard to stick with. I get really bad cravings and it is tough. Next week will be a good week for you.

Today the morning was ok for fasting but it is getting in the evening and I am needing to stay strong. My idea of cooking the whole pack of chicken didn’t work. My family devoured it. Oh well at least they are eating healthy.

Xannyde – I think you have a point about periods. I think there is a correlation (for me) between getting my period and wanting comfort foods. Or maybe I just use it as an excuse to eat chocolate!!!

On the plus side, I weighed myself, and even after all my naughtiness, I still lost 03kg. Not the 0.5kg I am aiming for each week, but more than I felt I deserved.

I was so uplifted by it that I am cruising through my Fast Day today (doing it today cos Monday was a public holiday, too much temptation). It’s the evening and I am feeling quite content and have only eaten 400cals. Yee ha!

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 286 total)

You must be logged in to reply.