very high cholesterol

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  franfit 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• hello a newbie here 🙂 hope some one can help me.My cholesterol has been 9.2 for as long as I can remember. I’ve been a vegetarian for 40 years and always looked after my health but I’ve recently found out I have a gene that has given me high cholesterol. Now I’m taking 80mg statin every day as proscribed by my consultant. My last reading was 6.6.I want to know if this diet will help me lower my cholesterol without taking these drugs. tks

Hi laura:

As you have discovered, the body makes most of its cholesterol because it is necessary for life. This diet might lower your levels some, but how much you won’t know until you try.

However, research shows that the level of cholesterol in the body is not predictive of a higher incidence of heart disease or stroke – a seemingly little known fact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetsIU-3k7Y

Good Luck!

laura1953, if you have familial hypercholesterolemia, especially with a history of many people in your family having heart attacks at very young ages, then intermittent fasting will most likely lower your cholesterol some, but maybe not all the way into the normal range. The only way to find out will be to try it and see what happens. There are other health benefits to IF in any case. One thing to know about is that losing a large amount of weight (like more than 25 or 30 pounds) usually causes a temporary rise in the total cholesterol level as the body burns off its fat stores. This is normal and nothing to be alarmed about. The thing to do is to get it re-tested once you’ve gotten to goal and been on maintenance for two or three months.

If you do not have a family history of people having heart attacks at young ages then I would not be too alarmed about a high total or LDL cholesterol level. What you want to see, for lowering heart disease risk, is a triglyceride level that is not too high and an HDL cholesterol that is not too low. The official guidelines have a way to go to catch up with research findings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.