Vegan Horse Trainer

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Today was my fast day. I work outside all day in 23 degrees F. I am a horse trainer, so after years of experience I own all of the proper equipment and know how to dress for it. I was freezing today and started shivering something horrible. I even had hand warmers in my gloves. I’ve decided to not do a fast day if the temperatures are below 36 degrees F. I just can’t effectively and safely do my job. My fasting days are Monday & Thursday. I went in for a DXA scan this summer to truly know my body fat % and to quit making excuses for my weight I started tracking my calories, even on heavy eating days. There were days I was at 3600 calories. Surprisingly my DXA scan showed I had 28.6% body fat at 152.5 pounds for 68″ tall. My goal is to obtain 15.5% body fat and then see if that’s something I can maintain, this the reason I’m adopting a lifestyle change. I have been vegan since 2011, but if was not until 2015 that I found WFPNO (Whole Foods Plant Based No Oil) which has greatly reduced my inflammation in my joints. Now that I’m doing 5:2 I almost have no pain, which is really great for my very physical job.

I was stuck for a while losing weight prior to 5:2 and it was because of how much wine I was drinking every night. I’ve given-up wine since starting on 11/19, am carefully accounting for every calorie that goes in my mouth and went from 149.8 to 142.6 in 3-weeks. I’m happy. Mainly because I’m more in-tune with actual hunger and have stopped the cycle of stress eating at night.

I’m currently eating 1800 calories a day on non-fast, then 700 on fast days in one meal at night. I’ll cut the calories to 1500 and 500 when I get to 135 lbs when I’m going in to determine my body fat using the DXA scan. My goal is 15.5% so based off of my first scan assuming I’m not losing muscle (or gaining muscle) I’ll be there at 129 lbs. I really like how I feel on fasting days, so will keep-up 5:2. It motivates me to not indulge and not drink and then realize how great I feel eating well so I keep it up on the other 5-days. I suspect since my husband owns a pub, I’ll probably drink on Saturday nights when I achieve my goal weight.

On the assumption that the DEXA machine was calibrated correctly (I have my doubts about the technique), if you get to 135 lbs and all the weight loss is fat then you will be at 19.3%. To be at 15.5 you will need to be 129 lbs.

Please share the documentation as to why you have doubts about the technique? It figured out exactly how much I weighed and there is no scale. You don’t even know where I had it done so why are you doubting the calibration?

I did state my figures so not understanding why you restated them?

I don’t have doubts with the technique. Spent 10 years as a nucleonic physicist in the mining industry rather than medical. Most xray instruments work on the premise of beam attenuation. As such it can not directly measure fat and any other composition. It must be calibrated against a “standard”. A poor calibration means a poor result is generated. Buoyancy tanks are generally considered more accurate.

Poor reading skills, missed the 129 lbs you mentioned.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.