Under active Thyroid

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  alinepilani 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi all,

I know this topic has sparked up convo’s in the past but I am looking for some fresh feedback from 2015/2016. I am a fit girl (I exercise most days!) but was diagnosed with a underactive thyroid 4/5 years ago and slowly I have managed to gain 3 stone. I am desperate to lose it; going from a size 10 to a 14 is never fun in your early 20’s. Any success stories/hints and tips would be amazing! I have started the 5:2 this week and nervous it could play havoc with my thyroid  Thanks in advance!

Hi Gracelltt! I have an underactive thyroid, taking 75mcg thyroxine daily. I’ve been on the Fast diet for 3 weeks now, and have lost 5.5lbs and 3″ from my waist, with no apparent ill effects. Time will tell, I don’t have another blood test for nearly a year, but I’m confident that fasting won’t interfere with my medication, which I am supposed to take first thing in the morning anyway.

Hello Rose Rainrose and Gracelitt

I too have hypothyroidism – 50mcg Levothyroxine daily. I was diagnosed June last year and have put on a stone since! I have gone from a size 6 ( I am only tiny in height and frame) to a size 10. Hoping this approach will stop the waight gain and get me back in my clothes. Did my first day today. Didn’t find it at all difficult. I eat really healthily and exercise so its not overindulgence that has led to the weight gain.
    I could find no contra indication that it would effect the thyroid and as Rose says we take our meds in the morning and are told only to avoid caffine for the first 30 mins.
    Its encouraging to hear that you have so far had a good result Grace – my energy levels have plummeted since my diagnosois and the meds don’t seem to improve that – have you noticed any improvement in your energy levels?
    perhaps we can keep each other updated on our progress
    Golden Girl

Hi,

Can I join your group?!! I too have hypothyroidism. I find the medication really really dries out my skin and hair. No amount of water prevents this from happening. I had a baby six months ago and have lost about half a stone since starting the fast diet but I am struggling to do the 2 days a week lately.
    One thing I did discover that has increased my energy levels to no end is bikram(hot) yoga. The thyroid is stimulated in certain poses and I can honestly say done twice a week i have an abundance of energy. I know certain dark green foods prevent iodine absorption (uncooked broccoli , cabbage) and can make the condition worse so while I do eat it I eat in small amounts when raw. Kale and celery smoothies are fantastic though for energy too.
    Sorry for going on a rant. I would love to reduce my thyroid medication altogetehr as othrs have done on this site.
    Will post if theres any change in levels after next test and will be eager to see if ye have any changes too.
    Thanks Shrivels

Hi everyone. Hope you don’t mind me joining in here. I have hypothyroidism, had it permanently since dd born 8 years ago and have progressively had to increase my thyroxine over the years, currently take 150mcg per day, I am 38 btw and used to be fit but not got huge time for myself anymore. Just recently had baby no.3 six months ago and will be embarking on 5:2 diet with hubby, although my fast will be a modified reduction as still breastfeeding at the moment. I also was wondering if anyone had sought medical advice about fasting when living with hypothyroidism and if it can cause imbalance in the endocrine system :0/

I hope not as after watching Dr Moseley on the Horizon programmetmy hubby and I are really keen on doing the fast diet alongside vegan eating for 1-2 days per week also to combine the research out there about how and also what you eat. I am probably going to chat to my gp about the diet and thyroid function so will let you know what I find out 😀

The main spur to my starting this diet for the first time -today! – is that I have an under active thyroid. I am on 75mcg daily, having started on 5mcg five or six years ago. I was shocked to find on an over-40s check-up a few years ago, when my son was 2, that my cholesterol levels had shot upwards. I wasn’t overweight at the time and ate healthy food, skewed towards lots of veg, pulses and lean meats and fish and was fit. II told the doctor about my healthy lifestyle but no-one explained to me then that a side-effect of hypothyroidism can be elevated cholesterol. That was something I found out for myself when I put on a massive amount of weight but coincidentally had my meds raised to the correct level. My cholesterol went right down. GPs are pretty ignorant/uninformative about this. It has made me realise I need to be hyper vigilant about high cholesterol because of the thyroid condition. I don’t want it to be the cause of cardiovascular disease. I would love to know whether there is any negative impact on this condition from intermittent fasting, though.

Hiya. Just wanted to join in as I was diagnosed about 2months ago. Just had meds upped to 75mg a day so will be going for more blood tests in 6weeks or so.
    Have just finished my second week of 5:2 and apart from a few headaches its been OK so far 🙂 I’ve been struggling to lose any weight at all for about a year now, so I’m hoping now I’m on meds it’ll help. But am keen to try 5:2 to see if it helps! Would be interested in hearing how everyone’s getting on!

Any problem with thyroid function?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.