The Second Annual Silly Season Challenge

This topic contains 391 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 392 total)

• Reminds me of when we travelled to Newcastle to spend some time in the town where OH’s grandparents had been born. He’s American, I’m English. OH could not understand a single word being spoken. I could get about every third word which gave me enough clues to know the topic.

It’s always amused me that it’s further from Perth to Sydney than it is from London to Moscow, yet we hear very little difference in accent across Australia (Queenslanders notwithstanding). Yet from London to Moscow, imagine how many languages are spoken, let alone dialects.

Back to IF, I’ve woken on my third NFD before the party to 60.6kg which is only 100gms up for 3 days. Happy with that. That will be sabataged after tonight’s festivities but tomorrow’s a FD so all will be well in the end. I don’t yet know what I’ll be eating as I’ve no idea what will be offered. Like many of you, I don’t require alcohol in order to have a good time. Being slim gives me all the confidence I need.

Hi everyone! Bit late to the party, but I’m back on the FD train as of today. It’s been two years since I’ve fasted regularly, but I need to make this work to get back to my old weight of 55. It’s been a couple of years of hard study, a pregnancy and new career craziness and tampering with other ways of eating. Fasting was truly the only way I got the weight off reliably.

I’m in Melbourne, so it’s nicely warm here, but I’m sitting with my hot tea and miso soup for lunch. Does anyone have a favourite miso brand from Coles or woolies?

I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread so far and so excited to be able to celebrate chirstmas but not feel heavy, in my belly or my brain.

Thin,
    I’ve always found the development of accents intriguing. Australia officially has one accent, but there are three main variants that tend to be regional and largely state based. The variants are officially labelled general, broad and cultivated.
    I think the reason that non-Australians don’t think I am Australian is that the “broad” variant is rare in S.A. (this is the one Paul Hogan made famous) – that is the well known version of the Aussie accent abroad. The dominant accent variant in S.A. is the cultivated version. The variants relate to certain vowel sounds (mostly “a” and “oo”). For example in S.A. we would pronounce “dance” with a long vowel sound, but in most other parts of the country it’s pronounced with a short vowel. (eg “darnce” rather than “dance”, and similarly with words like castle, graph, vase etc). The “oo” vowel sound also differs between regions – most noticeably in Qld, where it’s a long vowel sound and short elsewhere. Given the size of the country though, these small differences are remarkably minor. There’s a reasonable description of this in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_in_Australian_English
    I think the differences were influenced by the type of migration that each state had, which influenced the accents of teachers in our schools and accents spoken at home. Unlike most of the country, South Australia was never a penal colony, we had no convicts. Migration was all free settlers who could afford to pay their own passage here from Europe. They were mostly the middle classes, farmers, businessmen and skilled craftsmen. Although mostly English, we also had a higher proportion of Scottish and German immigration in the 1800s than most other states and far less Irish immigration than states like NSW. We also didn’t have any of the goldrush immigration that affected some states.
    Both sides of my family emigrated directly to S.A. in the mid 1850s and 1860s. My mum’s side of the family were all farmers – one family from England and one from Germany. My dad’s ancestors were wealthy businessmen who bought lots of property in S.A. in the 1800s – mostly hotels in Adelaide, but they also owned a copper mine. Things didn’t turn out so well for them though, my great-grandfather died bankrupt by the 1880s – I guess his dreams and self-confidence were bigger than his resources and common sense.
    It always intrigues me that there is far less difference between the Australian and New Zealand accents than there is in accents across the US or the UK. I think the way a country is settled, the time that has elapsed and importantly, the level of interaction between regions over that time all have an impact of those accent differences. It’s easy to see how regional differences would have evolved in the UK in centuries where travel even to other towns was difficult.

I definitely know what ‘broad’ and ‘cultivated’ Aussie accents sound like but not so sure about ‘general’. I guess that’s the one that doesn’t make you think of ‘broad’ or ‘cultivated’!

You’ve reminded me of a book I’ve had for a long time entitled, ‘The History Of English’. It gives a lot of this detail which also fascinates me. It sounds like your ancestors were on the move at the same time as my OH’s. His great grandfather left Newcastle for the USA in 1854 and then proceeded to walk across America with covered wagons. He didn’t know that he’d never see his infant daughter again but later sent for his wife and son.

Welcome BusyMum! There are a lot of miso soup drinkers here and on the Southern Hemispherites thread (fourth topic from the top in ‘most popular’ above.) Please join us there too. If you just mention miso soup, I bet you’ll get a host of replies! I’m having it for my FD tomorrow – I cheat and buy the sachets to which I add a quarter of a savoy cabbage, grated ginger, garlic, 7 dried shiitake mushrooms and 100gms of sliced chicken. Two sachets mixed with 600mls water and the above ingredients gives me two FD meals.

Excellent, thank you Thinatlast! I’ll head on over to that thread 🙂

Day 16. No fast day yesterday. No weight change.

Accents change with a change of environment. My north-eastern accent was always a little odd because before I was 20 years old I lived in six NE towns and a few miles made a difference. In the RAF it had to be moderated by the need to be understood over the radio. It eventually became a sort of mongrel English understandable by all but local to nowhere. Our daughter has lived on the Essex side of London since her marriage 17 years ago and now sounds as though she was born there. We thought our TV, which apart from the soaps was always “standard English”, ie southern, educated English, was killing local accents but it now has much more regional variety.

Thin, do you still have your British accent or it is more Australian now? I can usually hear the difference between the two, depending on what part of England the person is from. We often have trouble understanding the dialog in movies we rent from the UK. There was one with Irish accents where we had to turn the subtitles on.

I think a lot of regional accents in the US are blending together somewhat because people have moved around so much in recent years. Or maybe it just seems that way because there are lots of people in California that are from other states.

BusyMum, welcome! Miso makes such a versatile broth.. I usually buy tubs of Miso paste which I store in the frig. Does anyone here leave miso paste out? Because it’s fermented, maybe it would keep? It can take a long time to dissolve it hot water when it’s really cold.

Cali, I buy the boxes that contain about 10 individual sachets. I keep them in the pantry. If I had a tub of miso paste that I’d opened I would also assume it needed to be refrigerated. Similar to jars of curry paste, that can be in the panty until opened then need to go in the fridge.

Cali, thanks. I’ll gave to get a tub of miso next time. The sachets I bought will get too exxy if I have them regularly, although very nice.

First fast day over successfully. Just took my 5yo out to see the Christmas lights, so I got my steps up easily while walking around all the streets.

On the topic of accents, my sister is now living on Manchester but no one there believes she’s Aussie because her accent has changed so much. If she comes home for a visit, she sounds super Aussie on her return to the uk.

BusyMummaM. The year I lived in Hong Kong was a bit like this site – all of the native English speakers I associated with were Aussies except one from the US. (Sorry CalifDreamer and Diverdog, he was Texan) . When I got back to UK those who did not know assumed I had spent that year in Australia.

[post removed]

BusyMummaM, Well done on getting through that first FD. Most of us find that the FDs become easier as time goes on. I barely give them a thought these days, they are just part of my normal week.

A second NFD for me today and I’m hoping for a better result than yesterday when I overate in the late afternoon. On a plus note, the brunch I was meant to be attending this morning has been cancelled due to the unpleasant weather forecast (38C). My family was going to go to a local cherry farm to buy cherries and have morning tea at their cafe. Now I’ll need to make a trip out there later in the week to get the christmas cherries, but at least it’s easier to avoid the cafe if I go by myself.

LJoyce we walk up to our local cafe as a family at least once a week, but I remember when I was fasting three days a week, I’d get a pot of tea. I do the same when I meet up with friends.

Congrats diverdog! That’s fantastic!

Last night’s hurdle wasn’t exactly a success from a restraint perspective and I certainly wasn’t following in your footsteps, diverdog. It was a stand-up affair with platters of very tasty offerings being passed through the crowd and an open bar. I drank two glasses of a very nice merlot which was two more than I needed. By then, all bets were off with the food and my wine-soaked brain told me that I needed to try it all. I don’t know how they came up with so many different & unusual items. Or maybe I just don’t get out much. Unfortunately, I am getting out again on Tuesday for another dinner to compound last night’s excesses which is causing me no end of stress. Oh well, first things first. Today’s a FD, thank heavens for that. Must get a good walk in before the forecast rain arrives (I am able to walk in the rain, Penguin, but we get so little that we tend to arrange outdoor pursuits around it).

TAL, I can sure understand the wine conundrum, for me 2 glasses of wine and all bets are off!! LOL I rewarded myself with a wonderful meal tonight. Goat cheese wonton with raspberry sauce, beet salad, grilled duck breast with mashed sweet potatoes, sauteed veggies and two glasses of a really good pinot noir. Desert was a double espresso and a small piece of molten chocolate cake. The servings were small and so good! Did I mention I’m a foodie! LOL

That dinner does sound rather good Diverdog.

Thin, time to re-group and find a new strategy before Tuesday. No point worrying about last night, you can’t change it now. Is Tuesday a buffet as well or do you get to just order your own meal? If you can order you know how to handle this – look at the menu and choose before you get there. If it’s buffet, offer to be the designated driver so you don’t drink then it’s a little easier to make better choices. I always think that willpower decreases in direct proportion to wine consumption.

Absolutely right, LJ. Thank you. We actually left after 3-4 hours last night and the party was kicking on in full swing. Something about the phrase ‘open bar’ that encourages people to drink to excess. We didn’t think it was going to look pretty as the night wore on so at least we left with our dignity intact. I hadn’t realised there were that many aeronautical engineers in Perth.

Anyway, Tuesday. It’s up to me to choose a restaurant. But that’s not helping really. We won’t be drinking alcohol and I doubt the other couple will. I’ve sent them some options and I’m secretly hoping they do actually choose my least favourite, the Italian, so I can grab one of their salads. Dressing on the side.

Diverdog, yes you have mentioned that you’re a great cook and a foodie. Your dinner menu sounds delish, hold the beetroot. It’s the only food in the entire world that I just cannot deal with. Must be genetic as we found out in our 40s that my brother’s the same. You certainly seem to have the feast and famine concept down perfectly. I’ve read your posts where you water fast for two days and then chase that regime down with four eggs! You were truly deserving of that small feast after the abstinence at the two parties in a row. Are you not inclined to move the FDs around to accommodate these events or do you follow the 2:1 regardless of what’s happening socially?

TAL, it’s funny as a kid I couldn’t stand beets, now I love them. So far this month I haven’t moved FD’s to accommodate social engagements. If it was someone that would be insulted by my not eating something I would switch them around. I usually don’t succumb to peer pressure to eat and I don’t feel deprived. I will be traveling from the 22nd to the 26th and I probably won’t do any FD’s but I will limit what I eat. Although I like to eat really well I don’t think of it as a feast as in a huge amount of food just high quality well prepared food. I usually skip dessert and I should have tonight. It was good but it’s the savory flavors I crave now, not sweet.

And yes my usual break-fast is two slices of sprouted bread pan toasted with Irish butter, a slice of cheese and four eggs over easy(all organic grass fed etc.). Washed down with a fruit and veggie phytonutrient drink. Everything is yummy after a water fast! LOL I know it doesn’t sound like a conservative meal, but a lot of high quality fat works really well for me. It also works with my caloric target for NFD’s

Every ten years or so, I would try beetroot again just to make sure because I wanted to be able to say there was nothing that I wouldn’t eat (these days, there are plenty of foods that I don’t eat). The combination of the smell and texture, let alone the taste, literally makes me gag. I can’t have its juice running all over other foods either. Since it’s been an ‘in’ food among chefs for a while, I’ve had to forfeit a lot of otherwise tasty looking dishes. I never make comment, just quietly pass that item by, which is why I didn’t know that my brother experiences the same sensations with it until about 20 years ago. I accept that it’s a beautiful colour and I’m happy to serve it to OFMs but it has to be in its own dish and preferably not where I can smell it.

Day 17. NFD yesterday. No weight change.

The penalty for stealing a hot mince pie straight out of the oven is a burned (scalded?) upper lip.

I suspect there’s a lesson in there somewhere Penguin.

Having a quiet NFD although I’m about to watch my football team stink up the field. A good excuse to drink heavily! I’m going to experiment and try to do a two day water fast on Monday and Tuesday. I’ve never gone more than 35 hours although penguin has assured me that it’s not that hard to do. Wednesday is my birthday and I want to indulge a bit.

diverdog, Monday and Tuesday are my usual fasting days so I’ll join you. Today has been a 300 cal day – only meal at 1230 – so adding a couple of water only days should have impact.

All the best with that guys. Wondering why diverdog’s earlier post was removed? And CalifD, I didn’t answer one of yours – yes, I still have a British accent. I did pick up a slight American accent while living there, probably a subconscious effort to try and fit in and avoid answering questions as to my origin every time I opened my mouth. In Australia, no-one has ever asked me where I’m from so I’ve evidently reverted to my original accent. OH has an American accent of course and often gets asked if he’s Canadian. DD has a slight Australian accent. Shall we say, cultivated, LJ?

TAL, evidently someone was offended because I made a tongue in cheek comment about people that live in mobile homes in my home state of NJ. It’s a very politically correct world these days and some people are easily offended.

I will be very careful in the future because I’m probably on “double secret probation” now!

Thin – I’ve noticed that some people’s accent adapts quickly to where they live and some resist all inclination to change – I would probably be one of the “need to fit in” brigade if I even emigrated – not that that is at all likely. Although when we experience summer heat waves I do dream about moving to a cooler climate – even Tasmania starts to look good. Although the south Island of New Zealand appeals more – a geographically stunning place.

I’m doing a much needed FD today. I didn’t eat any one thing over the weekend that was terrible – all good foods. I just ate too much on both days. I tried to not eat until late in the day but because I woke early both days that became a feat I couldn’t manage. How long I last seems to be relative to the time I got out of bed.

I have FDs planned for today and Thursday this week. The visit to the cherry farm has been rescheduled for Thursday afternoon – I’ll take my aunt and uncle out with me, but my cousins won’t be there – they’ll be working. As it’s a FD it solves the problem of what to eat – I’ll just order a pot of tea and allow enough spare calories to have a handful of fresh cherries.

The thought police are everywhere diverdog. I’m part of a minority group offended by political correctness. Can I apply for government funding to develop this?

How much are you paying for cherries, LJ? I’ve lived in Queenstown, a bitterly cold place in winter. I wouldn’t mind trying the Bay of Islands. Now, there’s an accent to get used to!

Still raining and the wind blew the mechanical reindeer off the roof last night. It’s hard to believe we were sweltering in 38C last week and now it’s 20C and I’m wearing a jumper & long pants.

Thin, The following info is based on the prices I remember from last year – they don’t change a lot from year to year.
    At the cherry farm their export grade cherries (which are very hard to find in the shops) are priced by size – the bigger the diameter the more they cost. They also sort by variety, with each having a slightly different flavour. Depending on size they are $20-30 per kilo. In size they usually vary from 22-28mm, they go up in 2mm increments.
    They also sell seconds (which is what most greengrocers and supermarkets actually sell) for $6 a kilo. The big difference for me is also freshness – these cherries are picked daily, so you get maximum fridge life from them – I never know how old they are when I buy them from the shops.
    I am usually happy with seconds – which means small blemishes, or a missing stem, or any cherry which isn’t at least 22mm. I tip them out when I get home and separate those without stems as they don’t keep well – I eat these first. The rest keep just as well as the export grade cherries.
    As gifts I buy the 1 or 2 kilo boxes of export grade cherries. They are very nicely packaged for use as a gift. I’ve promised my sister a 2kg box for christmas. I find the boxes easily keep for 2 weeks in the fridge, also it helps if you routinely check them over to make sure none have lost their stems – these need to be eaten quickly. When the stem is pulled out of a cherry it usually damages the skin just enough to make them go off quickly – you have 2-3 days to eat them before this starts to happen.

Going to the cherry farm each summer is a bit of a family ritual. Not just to support a local grower but to get cherries that are a better quality and fresher than I can find elsewhere. It’s also a nice outing, about a half hour drive from where I live. Cherries tend to be grown in the same districts of the Adelaide Hills where apple and pears do well, basically from Lenswood through to Lobethal. As you drive through the area, you see rows and rows of netted cherry trees up the hillsides. They use these incredibly log runs of netting to cover each row so the birds don’t eat the fruit.

$6 a kilo, I wish! I grabbed a kilo punnet for $20 last week which I consider a treat and was about to sample one while waiting in the check-out line when I realised it was rotten so told the girl I’d changed my mind. I’d be happy with seconds, especially at that price. It sounds like a nice traditional outing too.

Thin, After a bit of hunting I found a pic of the netting being put in place (although these are grape vines not cherries). http://vitiworks.com.au/project_post/bird-control/
    When I was growing up absolutely everything was done by hand, but there are machines for harvesting, pruning and netting these days. Not suitable for all fruits though, although many vineyards are completely mechanised.

I meant to offer a bit of advice when buying fruit – for those of you who aren’t familiar with choosing fruit that will taste nice. Any stone fruit (plums, nectarines, apricots, peaches, cherries) will keep better if there is a stem still attached. These fruits (and pears as well) ripen from the stem area down. So you can tell that the piece of fruit will ripen reliably if there is a little bit of give to it around the stem. Whole pineapples and rockmelon (cantelope) will smell sweet and ripe if you sniff the base, if they are ripe on the inside. If they don’t smell sweet I don’t buy them.
    You should see me in the green grocer, most fruits I need to hold in my hand to know whether they are worth buying and some I sniff – it must look odd, but I don’t like wasting money and good fruit is often expensive. The problem with growing up in a region that was known for it’s fruit production is that you know what fresh ripe fruit should actually taste like – it makes me very particular when it comes to the standard I expect. I find it extremely difficult to find fruit of the quality I took for granted growing up.

Hi everyone,
    Just checking in briefly, after a very busy week or so, travelling, grandchild’s birthday, various other stuff, and left my travel scales at home.

Hope all your FDs, nonFDs , and anything Silly Seasonish is going well and as you planned.

I have no idea what my weight is, just going by how my clothes fit, and I’m doing doing OK so far.

Will read up later.
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

PS FD for Mr M and me today, and just water so far. 4.28pm now and going outside to fiddle with washing and use up some pre dinner time. 365cal dinner planned today and probably 600-800c for Mr M.

PPS A dinner companion, and the waitress, were amazed I would order a seafood curry without rice on the side. The dinner companion didn’t say anything but the eyes said it all. I put my halo aside for grandees birthday cake though.

Day 18. Yesterday was an unplanned 300 cal semi FD. A light meal at lunch then an unexpected evening out. We went to a carol Service at the village church. It was followed by mulled wine and mince pies. By now I think you know I have a weakness for mince pies, but it is selective – I have been spoiled by OH’s which are very good. I declined the mince pies and wine on the grounds that I was fasting, which was accepted without comment. The fasting element of most of the major religions makes that one of the few places our habit is socially acceptable – a little old school, possibly verging on extreme but generally commendable. I am down one pound.

Monday and Tuesday are my usual fast days. I have had nothing since 1230 yesterday so I am already nearly nineteen hours into it.

Penguin, now your previous post makes sense. 1230 is a time, not a calorie count. I was trying to work out how you’d managed to fit a meal of 1230 cals into a 300 cal day – but didn’t wish to appear foolish.

LJ, I’m like that with avocados. I know exactly what I want and how they should feel so you can’t palm me off with over ripe ones by putting them on sale. Or that kind that never get ripe. When we left Southern California 25 years ago, all fruit and veg tasted exactly like it was supposed to and you wouldn’t find rotting produce on the grocery shelf at all. Good quality at fair prices. I wonder if it’s still that way.

Hello Merry. You sound busy. Did you leave the travel scales behind intentionally?

Hi everyone,

I’ve had a quiet weekend at home. Saturday was a NFD and I ate wisely and avoided the temptation to open a bottle of wine and I fasted yesterday. After the disappointment of the scales on Thursday I’m even more determined to shift another couple of pounds before Christmas so I’m fasting again today.

I did some cooking yesterday as there were lots of odds and ends in the fridge, half a squash, a couple of carrots etc. A whole tray of mushrooms that I’s bought for something and not used. I made mushroom ragout some of which I’ll be having for dinner today and the remainder is in the freezer. I also made a huge batch of stock which has also been stashed away along with some roasted squash soup.

It’s a lovely if rather cold morning here so I’m going for a walk.

Hi Everyone,
    I’m in.

I started 5:2 at the beginning of October. My starting weight was 102kgs. I am now down to 92 and I am setting myself a target of 90kgs to start the New Year off.

I should mention I went on a 10 day all inclusive massive over indulgence Caribbean holiday in November. I have to say that 5:2 got me looking good at the pool side and has got me on track after I returned.

I do not consider 5:2 as a diet.

In my humble opinion it’s more like a habit or a lifestyle choice. The things I have noticed about myself are absolutely amazing.
    My asthma has massively improved. My skin is looking younger and I feel really good in myself. I am having the best nights sleep ever.
    The weight loss is a happy side effect.

Good luck everyone!

Happy Christmas.

I must say I feel somewhat inadequate with three B2B fasts operating concurrently on this thread right now.

Welcome westwings. From where do you hail? Yes, a lot of us here have been doing this for a matter of years now and we consider it a way of life, not a diet. 8kgs would be an impressive loss over 13 days. It is good that you enjoy other health benefits of fasting.

Hi there, I’m fasting today and doing very well. I’ve been super busy as always and very active. Yesterday did a session on the Live02 machine and spent a couple hours in the hyperbaric chamber and feel great from doing so. …The only disappointment is that the Inbody composition people are shutting for holidays down before I’m able to get there for a scan, so now my scan update will have to wait until early next year. My friend who is 75 years old and eats a strict paleo diet will accompany me.

Hi Thin,

No not intentional. I said something under my breath when I woke up first morning away, into routine of loo, weigh, shower etc

You are not alone on single Fds, 2x per week non-consecutive. You may remember my experiment of b2b fasts last summer. 1st week OK, 2nd week OK, 3rd week and my body and brain well and truly let me know b2b fasts were not at all healthy for me. Never done 1 since and no intentions to.

Welcome to new people – we’re making the Silly Season less silly. Very enjoyable , yes, but not silly.

Merry

Relax Thin. We are all different and we all do what we do. Hi Westwings. You are absolutely right – this is a life style.

I have just been to the gym. Beside the sign-in book are little “12 calories of Christmas” fliers telling us how many calories there are in festive foods. Next to that is a chart showing how many calories a minute each exercise burns. My hour of weight training burns two-thirds of an OH mince pie. I am in serious arrears.

Hi Thin,
    I hail from Herefordshire. UK.

I have got to the stage where I actually look forward to the fast days. I find them surprisingly easy to the point where I drink black black coffee and just have a slim a soup for lunch. I can then go through to breakfast the next day. I also drink loads of water.

I’m a huge foodie and I enjoy real ales and nice red wines.
    It’s little wonder I was in the obese range on the BMI charts.

With 5:2 I can continue enjoying the fine things in life and yet I’m slowly getting slimmer. I’m in the middle of the ‘overweight’ range right now.
    I don’t actually have an end goal target weight as such. My better half says I should go into maintenance when things ‘look right’.

There were a lot of Americans staying at the same resort as us last month. Most of them, with a few exceptions, made me look positively skinny!

I think 5:2 is totally amazing and genius. I used to do Atkins but last time it gave me gout for the first and only time in my life. No such problems with 5:2!

By the way, it was watching Dr. Moseley on the Horizon documentary Eat, Fast, Live Longer on YouTube that put us onto this.

Westwings. Hello neighbour, I’m in The Forest of Dean.

Penguin.
    Ross on Wye!

Oh, that far away – must be 7 miles. I’m in Ruardean. If you are a huge foodie we are probably eating in the same places. Any recommendations?

How exciting. I feel a cafe meeting coming on. No, wait, it’s a pub ….

Hi Penguin,

Well there’s so many good places in the area.

Number one on my list is The Whitebrook at Whitebrook in the forest just south of Monmouth. It’s the only Michelin star restaurant in the immediate area. We go about once a year and stay the night due to the large quantities of wine we get through!

Next favourite is The Hardwick near Abergavenny. It’s run by Stephen Terry who got a dish to the banquet in The Great British Menu on the BBC a few years ago.

Closer to home is The Moody Cow at Upton Bishop. The fillet steak, peanut and wasabi salad on their starters is amazing!

For something completely different, the Gurkha Pub at Goresley is outstanding. The name of the pub is The Roadmaker. The food is excellent but the beer is not so good.

I don’t believe I’m saying this, but the best ale in Ross is in the weatherspoons pub on the high street. I guess they get through so much of it it always tastes fresh and clean.

The Kings Head further up the road is the only place in Ross you can get Wye Valley Breweries ‘Butty Bach’ on draft. The food there is okay too.

The Alma in Linton gets an honourable mention. Good food and ale.

Have you been to any of these?

Is it ironic writing a good restaurant guide on a ‘diet’ website?

Welcome WestWings, the love of good food is not unusual here! I think fasting makes everything taste better!

Well I’m on my first B2B water fast too. I ate last at 17:00 Sunday evening. My FD is usually a 35 hour water fast. I have done five days in a row with <600 calories a couple of times before.

I’ll be hitting the gym today to do a HIIT on the spin bike to deplete my glycogen stores to ramp up fat burning.

Ljoyce, thanks for the tips on produce shopping. Cherries are my favorite fruit.

TAL, you can still get vine ripened produce in Cali, we even get some good stuff here is Vegas as it’s only a 7 hour drive. As for price…. it’s much cheaper in Cali if you go to a farmers market

I know Whitebrook, but have never tried “The Whitebrook”. It sound s though I should.

I must admit I have been in Weatherspoon’s a time or three. For the Southern Hemispherians and US contingent, that is a national chain that does good cheap food and beer; our local branch has more character then many -I think it was originally a large Post Office building. It is very popular – some nights I had to use my old Rugby skills to get to the bar. I have eaten in the King’s Head but not for a couple of years. If I am going to Abergavenny the Angel is a regular. The Walnut Tree was great, also Michelin starred, but I haven’t been there for a while – you have to book too far ahead. I have never tried the Moody Cow, but it has a good rep. Folk law says the original owner named it after his wife. My first choice is the Lough Pool at Sellack – good old country pub, really friendly people very good food. As a pub you can walk in, if you want to eat a reservation is a good idea. Last time I was in they had Butty Bach. Again for the rest, Butty Bach is a local brew. It probably translates into standard English as Little Mate or Old Pal.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 392 total)

You must be logged in to reply.