The Me Project, by Cate

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
The Me Project, by Cate

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Caterinacate 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Hello,

This is my first post and I thought I would introduce myself. I am Cate, 58 nearly 59, married and retired. I live with my husband who is also retired.

I am appx 3 stones over the charts ideal weight but at my age I would happily settle for losing 2 stones. I had lost some weight in the past by reducing refined carbs and cutting out sugar completely, but in recent months I have gained nearly one stone back.

I have read and heard so much about the 5:2 diets and in this forum there are so many happy testimonials that I thought I would give it a go.

On 3 days per week I work out quite intensively (for my age and fitness), at over-50s circuit classes, and on 3 more days I do more sedate exercise, Pilates. On Sunday I just walk.

So I thought that the ideal days for me would be 2 of the Pilates days, probably Tuesday and Saturday. I thought it would be best for me to skip breakfast, eat a very small meal at lunchtime (thinking of scrambled eggs with some veg, asparagus, spinach etc) and something more substantial for dinner.

This is my opportunity to do something good for myself, part of what I call The Me Project, after looking after a family and working all my life now I am concentrating on looking after Me, exercising, eating well and also feeding my mind (work in progress, more to come).

I want to do 5:2 not only just for weight loss but for all the other benefits associated with intermittent fasting.

Glad and excited to be here, starting this new phase of my life!

Hi Cate,
    Welcome here! Hooray for your project and I so hope 5:2 becomes a lovely part of it!
    Do join us on the mid-fifties thread. I know… but I am there and I am exactly the same age as you!
    Another way I am like you, I also lost weight first by cutting out sugar and refined carbs, but then I plateaued and started putting weight back on. 5:2 has worked brilliantly alongside the no sugar.
    Best wishes and all good things

Pick your two fast days and jump right in. Cut out sugar and refined carbs like bread, pasta, pizza, rice, potatoes and your well on your way. Fruit juice is a no go zone, if you want fruit eat whole fruits. If it comes in a packet read the label VERY carefully. How much sugar content does it have? Try and get most of your carbs from veggies rather than grains.

Thank you for the welcome, Cinque and bigbooty! Today is meant to be my start date, not sure how it will work as I have a party to attend, it might be the wrong day to start.

Not sure in the sense that I will be exposed to a lot of temptations, food and drink, but on the other hand I have to start sometime. I will see how it goes. Not having breakfast as I have a Pilates class at 10:30 and prefer to go on an empty stomach, will see how the day pans out. If today is too hard, I will wait for Tuesday, the next good time for me.

Will update later on.

Cinque, I will look for the mid-fifties thread, thanks for the invite.

Edited as I forgot to add: my lovely hairdresser, a fantastic looking gay man (who really knows about style and is helping me to love myself) says that all I need to look fabulous is to lose a few Kg – he is being kind and generous! I could do with losing lot more than “a few”! Anyway, my next haircut is booked for 13th July and he expects me to have lost 5Kg by then. How’s that for a challenge? 🙂 Slim for your hairdresser!

The phrase “resistance is futile” was created for today’s event, what can I say, lovely party, all ages were there so much love and sense of community, cake competition, barbecue ( meat and veggie), booze, music, belly dancer, it was such a great event, it would have felt ungenerous not to partake. I ate in moderation and had a couple of drinks, so not feeling bad about food consumption, but not the right day to start my fast.

Lesson learned: I think I can do it as I was on a fast until around 2 pm and not suffering too much hunger, 500 cals worth of food would have more than satisfied me, so I think I can do it.

See you back on Tuesday, it will give me time to plan and prepare.

Here I am, after the wishful thinking of last Saturday, how did I even imagine that I could do my very first fasting at a wedding party, I don’t know! Over-enthusiastic is the only way I can describe it.

Anyway, today is my official proper first day of fasting and I am quickly learning that there is never an “ideal” day to start. Today I had to cook a fry up breakfast for the 3 men in my life, my husband, his cousin who stays here with us often and my son. Glad to say that in spite of being exposed to temptation (oh, those hot toasted buttered muffins!), I stuck to my water.

My son normally lives away but he is quite unwell with a very painful ear infection, so he has moved back for a few days to be looked after by his mum.

My ideal first day, as I had envisaged it, would have gone like this: up, shower, go to Pilates, then grab a nice cup of decaf Americano with soya milk while out (40 cals), shopping for much needed t-shirts, then back home, lunch of scrambled egg with smoked salmon and spinach (160 cals), followed by gentle walk to the park, cup of green tea in the park cafe, reading the papers and my new book (The Curse of Lovely ironically, how to learn to say no to others’ demands). Stroll back home, bit of pottering in the garden, weeding and tidying up, then cook early dinner of smoked haddock with asparagus and samphire, (200 cals inc. a tiny drizzle of olive oil). Watch DVD of Spectre while munching on a bowl of strawberries with a splash of cream (100 cals). All interspersed with drinks of water infused with slices of lemon and mint sprigs. Early night with a nice cup of camomile, relaxation music and the feeling that I have really looked after myself today.

POOOOOFFFF! Burst that bubble. The men needed feeding and I complied (easier than letting them thrash the kitchen), could not make it to Pilated because of giant traffic jam, had to look after my son who needed medicine and reassurance. Now my husband has asked me if I would join him to the allotment, which I will, but somehow my day is taking a different shape. I might still be able to rescue the afternoon with some gentle pottering and a late lunch.

The weather is helping, though, the sun is shining and it makes me feel happier, therefore more inclined to stick to my plan.

My friend has just knocked at the door and asked if I want to go to the cinema with her this early evening, YIPPEE yes! Great excuse to abandon the family for a couple of hours, and yet another change of plan.

I am learning that I need to adapt my fast days to the circumstances!

Will update on how my first day goes later on.

First day done and it was ok!

No breakfast
    Lunch: 1 small egg, oil spray, 25g smoked salmon. 1/2 banana 3 Tbsps natural soya yogurt.
    Dinner: 100g cooked lentils, 50g chopped spinach, tsp Marigold stock, made in soup (ate half). 20g cheddar, small tomato, 3 slices cucumber, 1 stick celery.
    Supper after cinema: second half of soup.

I make it around 470 cals but decided I am not going to go crazy weighing and counting veg like celery, cucumber, spinach etc. Will be careful on the main meal components but if I start obsessing about going over by, say, 3 calories because of cucumber, I would lose the will to live. As it went, I was not very hungry at all and kept busy. Planning next day fast to be this Friday.

After a fraught few days (family illness, food cravings) and an accident involving a spoon and a carton of Green and Blacks choc ice cream, finally yesterday I did my second day of fasting.

I am, so far, pleasantly surprised at how easy it seems to be, how minor the hunger pangs are and how much I can eat on 500 calories if I plan it carefully.

My day was also easy because it was magical. I attended a literary festival and was so engrossed with the readings and creative writing workshops that I did not give much thought to food. I went back home to eat my two meals, which helped.

Food:

Noon: 2 small eggs omelette with mushrooms and parsley, spray oil. 150 cals

Early dinner: crudités to start, a few sticks of celery, 1/4 fennel.
    1 oz quinoa, 1 oz red lentils, chopped spinach, 2 cherry tomatoes, 1 stick celery, 1 tsp Marigold stock. It made 2 good bowls of nourishing, filling soup.
    4 chopped strawberries with 100g natural soya yogurt. Total 350 cals.

The other day, before the ice cream accident, I was 84.5 Kg. Brilliant, I broke the 85 Kg spell! This morning I could not resist weighing myself and I am 84.8, mildly disappointed but majorly relieved that in spite of the unwise eating of the other day I managed to remain sub-85.

Week 2, day 1. Good going, nice and easy.

No breakfast, lunch was 1/2 a boiled egg (I dropped the “protein pack” of 2 boiled eggs and spinach on the floor!) then a fat free cherry yogurt to make up for the dropped lunch. 150 cals

Dinner: asparagus stem (100g) , celery (1 stick) broccoli (50g), courgette (50g) and lentil soup with 25g lentils and 1 tsp marigold stock all blended. 150 cals
    Cauldron veg sausage casserole (1 cauldron sausage, tiny bit of onion, spray oil, 1 small tomato, all chopped). 120 cals
    5 strawberries, 2 Tbsps fat free yogurt 80 cals.

I had 3 solid days of uncontrolled eating, masses of carbs, bread and butter featuring very prominent and even cake and biscuits, which is unusual for me, a clear sign that something was very much in imbalance.

I felt the cold a lot, cloudy and rainy days normally don’t bother me too much if I feel ok but somehow I felt really badly affected by this spell of unseasonably cold weather. All I wanted to do was drink hot tea and eat hot buttery toast. And marmite! I also ate some good quality food, my usual eggs and veg, natural yogurt with nuts and seeds etc…but interspersed with chunks of carbs. I even had a glass of wine, not a good idea. At least the bread was a good quality wholemeal sourdough so I did not get the tummy bloat that white sliced gives me, but I still ate far too much of it. And I even overate the good stuff.

The sign that I ate too many starchy carbs is evident on my face: I get what I call “carb-face”, a puffy, rounded look, my cheekbones disappear and I get (even more of) a double chin. This normally disappears as quickly as I return to my usual way of eating, eliminating most starches and eating only the usual suspects: lean proteins, good quality fats, tons of non starchy and green veg, nuts, seeds, a bit of pulses and small amounts of unrefined whole grains like buckwheat, quinoa and millet, my daily staples of when I feel in balance.

Today is my fast day no. 2 of week 2 and I really look forward to it. The plan is:

No breakfast, just water and herbal tea before Pilates.
    Noon early lunch of 50g smoked salmon with lettuce, tomato and celery salad, 1 tsp oil and squeeze of lemon.
    Dinner: asparagus omelette, steamed broccoli and courgettes with 1 tsp olive oil. Strawberries with 2 Tbsps of natural yogurt, or soya if I have the time to go shopping.

Ready to start my day!

My nutritionist gave me her simplified version of the 5:2, basically no calorie counting, but eating two small meals, half the size of a normal portion of proteins (fish or eggs or tofu) with plenty of green veg and a title olive or coconut oil. No dairy, no carbs, no starchy veg, no nuts.

So last Saturday I skipped the strawberries with yogurt but had lots of steamed veg with my asparagus omelette and it was fine. The no dairy, no pulse rue is a bit of a challenge but goodness knows I need to reduce my dairy intake anyway.

I would normally fast on Tuesday but tomorrow is a busy day so today is my first fast day, day 1 of week 3.

Plan:

Lunch: 2 boiled eggs with mixed salad and a tiny drizzle of olive oil.
    Dinner: fish in tomato sauce and steamed broccoli

Sunny day, raring to go!

One month on and I haven’t lost a gram of weight. Getting quite despondent, maybe I am eating too much on the 5 days. Feeling so hungry every day, regardless of what I eat.

Yesterday I attempted a fasting day and had salmon and veg for lunch, thinking I would just have yogurt and berries before bed, but I had such painfully aggressive hunger pangs that I ended up eating a takeaway, yogurt with jam and also 2 slices of bread and butter. I just could not get enough food to satiate me.

Today having another go at fasting, plan is no breakfast, boiled eggs and greens for lunch, light soup and yogurt for dinner. Will be back to report later.

Coming back more than a year later and in a different condition. Elevated BP, hip in a bad state, but more informed, less stressed and more realistic.

Started at 90 Kg and will only weigh intermittently.

ATM the only exercise is walking, but in moderation and every day. Hopefully will be able to go back to more exercise when my BP is under control.

One week down and many to go. Will document food and progress here.

18th Sep, week 2 day 1.

Easy to fast until 5-6 pm then have a fairly large meal. Today it was 100g raw sauerkraut for start, 250g of steamed mixed veg (radish tops, courgette and runner beans from allotment plus some celery for extra fibre) with a squeeze of lemon juice. Followed by spicy tomato, black beans and veg sausage casserole with 25g pasta cooked in the sauce. Total of 450 cals.

About to make myself a hot chocolate (4 almonds blended in water with 1/2 tsp raw cacao and one dried apricot, 1-2 cardamoms for flavour, heated up) total 50 cals, to take to bed with a good book.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.