the joy of yogurt

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  PrattsCM 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• My heart sinks whenever I read a recipe for natural fat free yogurt (150gm, 62 calories). Seems like the gastronomic equivalent of a hair shirt. Who needs a whole pot? Why not have half a pot of something delicious with your fruit, like Activia intensely creamy vanilla (118 cals for whole pot, so half is still within the calorie count). And no, I don’t work for the company.

Hi Anniepam, I’m with you on the fat-free yogurt, usually it has sugar or other additives to make up for the lack of fat and it’s not nearly as satisfying. I’ve never tried Activia, I just buy an organic white full-fat yogurt, about 115 cals for 150 grams, delicious and well within my limit as a breakfast with some fruit on fast days.

Yeo Valley organic fat free probiotic is actually – and surprisingly – perfectly edible. Their full fat Greek is even better but has rather more calories! I don’t have any financial association with them other than buying their products!

Wow! I never knew this about yoghurts; religiously buying the low-fat versions all these years. I just checked my 125gm pot of Yoplait Greek yoghurt and there it was; 111 cals/467kjs per 100gm. I am a convert! Thank you

A good use of yoghurt is raita – chop red onion, tomatoes, cucumber and some mint and add a little low fat yoghurt to bind and a big squeeze of lemon juice and a bit of salt. Very few calories but sure helps with some fish or chicken with some spices on top.

Hi everyone ,
    Don’t know if this thread is still active ,but have been on IF for a month and lost 11lbs so I am pleased so far.
    On my fast days I have either Rasberries or Strawberries with no topping after my evening meal .So no problem there however on normal days I have Greek style natural yogurt it says on package 506kl/112 kcal.
    Can I ignore the kl figure does anyone know what this refers to ?

Fat free anything is usually full of sugar and other cr*p to add the flavour lost by removing the fat, unless the yoghurt is natural unflavoured. Some of the 0% natural yoghurts are OK if you are prepared to sacrifice some flavour, which I am not.
    I make my own yoghurt using organic whole milk. We all need a certain amount of fat in our diets and IMO it is madness to eat reduced fat yoghurt or cheese. Just have a little less and enjoy the flavour.

I like to buy plain yogurt or Greek yogurt and add some fresh fruits on top. Greek yogurt are the best for snacks and some good recipe. You can also make your own pudding or smoothies by adding this to your recipe.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.