The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,651 through 10,700 (of 11,673 total)

• Amen to that, PVE. So say we all!
    Finally have lost that extra pound! Yesterday was St Nicholas Day and we always have Hungarian Gulyas with egg noodles for dinner and the 1st Christmas cookies for dessert — and I still lost a pound!

Pol, hope your OH will be on board with that 800 cal diet. I do wish my diabetic friends would embrace that plan. But one has an MD who said she shouldn’t do it. And the other couple like food WAY to much, and they say so themselves. Shouldn’t we like ourselves better than food? Well, not my place to say.

Hi, emmak. Are you a maintainer like us? Where are you from? What is your story? Come chat with us.

52Fan, how are you these days?

Still baking. No new snow, but still snow on the ground. Colder than average in Nov and so far in Dec. I am happy to hear that, as it helps to average out the hotter than average summer months this year. As I always tell those who moan and whine about how cold it is.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Fasting, your food always sounds sooo exciting. What are these Hungarian things?

I was grandson 1’s birthday yesterday. Perhaps they should have called him Nicholas.

What a sweet thing to say, Polly. Our Hungarian Gulyas = goulash.

Gulyas: 283 calories 9.5 g fat 2.9 g fiber 40.4 g protein 8 g carbs [7.6 g Complex] 42.6 mg Calcium GF This version of the Hungarian stew is from Craig Claiborne’s International Cookbook. HINT: The recipe makes 8 servings, so make it once and freeze in serving sizes.
    2 pounds beef chuck [shoulder], cut in 1” cubes 1 Tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika 1 tsp olive oil 2 onions, chopped 2 Tbsp tomato paste 1 tsp salt + 1 tsp pepper 1.5 cups beef stock per serving: 1 oz green beans
    optional: ΒΌ oz egg noodles which add 27 calories 1 g fiber 2 g carbs [simple]
    Heat the oven to 300 F. Toss the beef chunks with the paprika, salt, and pepper. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven [large, heavy, covered pot] and brown the beef in batches. Move the beef around in the pan to prevent it from sticking. Add non-stick spray or a little water if necessary. Remove the beef to a plate. Add some water to the pan and saute the onions until they are transluscent. Return the beef to the pan and pour in 1.5 cups beef stock. Stir thoroughly, scraping brown bits off the bottom. Cover the pot and cook in the oven for 2-3 hours. Every hour, check the pot and stir, adding more water as needed. Taste for salt at the end. Divide into 8 portions, reserving the remainder for future meals. TIP: Freezes very well. Plate with the green beans and optional noodles. A real Winter treat.

Of course one could add more noodles, but it was a Fast Day so I stuck with only a few. ODH had lots of noodles. Likes to honor the traditions.

Last night was salmon with a white sauce flavored with peas and Dijon mustard. New recipe. Pizza [homemade] tonight, since it is Saturday. Keeping track of what I eat, as well as of my Calcium. Had a chat with the MD about whether I should go on the pills/shots of prescription things to ‘strengthen bones.’ I opted not to, but to continue to force myself to eat 1100-1200 mg Calcium/day. Then I spoke with my dentist and he advised that unless my bones were really bad, I should NOT do those supplements. I feel better about my decision now.

Ah, goulash! OH has been striving to emulate the goulash he had on our first night in Budapest last May.. I’ll show him your recipe. Probably take screen shot and print it.

Thank you. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    Pol

Some recipes make it with pork. But do not use a recipe calling for green Bell Peppers. I was told by a Hungarian colleague that one never puts bell peppers in a proper gulyas.

Horrible event in church today. The man behind me seems to have had a stroke or coronary event during the offering. [no bad jokes here, please] His wife looked terrified. Someone with medical training came over immediately, taking vital signs. But the man was unconscious and non-responsive. The service was ended and the ambulance arrived 15 minutes later. Scary.

Lost weight since yesterday! Am still at my Sleek Weight. Am being very conscious of not snacking after dinner and it seems to be helping.
    Hug your husbands. Often.

Sorry about that emergency, F-M: sad for the man and his wife, and a shock for you and the rest of the congregation. During my one and only sabbatical, I spent some of my allotted time (and cash!) updating my first aid skills to β€˜workplace first-aider’ And β€˜paediatric first aider’ Levels. I had to fight to convince the diocese that this was suitable use of the time – but it was worth every minute and penny, and I’m convinced that every church, like every workplace, should have a nominated first aider – preferably several, so that they can take it in turns. (Yes, another rota!)

As a teacher, we all had to do a full First Aid course, including pediatric, every year as part of the terms of our employment. It means you know, automatically, what to do in a crisis.
    Last year, I witnessed a friend have a stroke when we were at a large public gathering. Help was on hand very quickly and calmly. Sadly, she died later that day. In her 80s, she would not have wanted to survive disabled and had lived life to the full right up until the end. A terrible shock for us, a quick release for her.
    Monday fast has started. I need it after overindulging this weekend. πŸ˜‰P

PVE, I too had First Aid as required for teachers. I was going over in my mind, as I held the wife’s hand, what I would have done if the MD hadn’t been there. Since the man had a pulse, neither chest-pressure nor rescue breathing would have been required. Only thing to do was to call the Rescue Squad. How shocking about your friend dying at a large gathering. But as you said, better to go quickly.

FSF, having First Aid training is never a waste of funds.

Fasting today: Breton Baked Eggs [flavored with artichoke and curry] for breakfast. Beet & Bleu Cheese Salad for dinner. I’ve decided that all the Mondays of Advent will be salad dinners. This week we will be dining out 3 times — one restaurant, two chez friends. Need to be at the bottom of my range for this. Happily, I am there now.
    Have been on the Silly Season Challenge this year. Great conversations.

We are Fasting today: Curried Tomato Omelette with banana for breakfast. Fish Cakes for dinner, with 2 vegetable sides.

The man who was stricken at church was revived at the hospital, checked out, and discharged the same day. His wife must be SO relieved.

Still below my Target Weight – hope I can internalize the no-snacking behavior.
    Have a great weekend, everyone.

What a relief that the fellow recovered, Fasting.
    I’m rolling into Christmas, eating mindfully, but not stressing myself. Life is too short to not enjoy every moment.
    Tree up. Presents wrapped. Bought an array of cold meats for Christmas Day. Researched some yummy cold desserts and fruit drinks for kids and deciding on some festive salads. Christmas lunch for us is a casual affair with family and friends around the pool.
    Enjoy your own preparations. P

P, I have not put up the tree this year. We will be away from 27th, so I would have had to have taken it down on Boxing Day. And it’s only for me – OH and son don’t care about it at all, whether it’s up or not! The few presents that will be distributed on this side of the Ditch are bought. The older grandchildren get money, and the younger ones won’t get theirs until after Christmas. πŸ™ We are going to a neighbour for Christmas dinner, and all she asks of us is bubbly. That won’t be a problem – I counted eight bottles in the rack under the house!

You make such interesting meals, Fasting. Our breakfast today was bacon and eggs, cooked by each of us to suit our timing (since I have two meals a day, and OH has biscuits or toast! for lunch). Can’t help some people.

Two good FDs again this week, and hit a low after Thursday’s that I haven’t seen in a while, although have bounced back a bit this morning. Shows that the efforts are paying off, even in the midst of the celebration season. We are out for another dinner tonight, and a bbq next door tomorrow, so we shall see what the scales say on Monday!

Morning, all. What a horrible thing to happen, fasting. It’s a relief that the man has recovered. Interesting that two of our group have breakfast. I’d want to eat at lunchtime if I ate early.

It’s hard to to be sensible this season I find, with things under my nose and others urging me to try this or that. Doing ok weight wise, though, thanks to a couple of FDs along with my daily 16:8. I had a mince pie at the quiz yesterday although I don’t usually like them. It was deliciously light and fruity, but rich and I suffered later.

Daughter coming today, unless the roads are too bad. I’ve just seen a flake of snow blow past the window. OH off to an away rugby game today, so I’ll pack the presents, then all done – I think!

Where are you off too, Barata?

Me too, Polly. If ate breakfast on a fast day, it would not be a fast day. I save all my calories for dinner.
    We’ve had a few colossal thunder storms here today. Pretty typical of this time of year. All the gum trees drop their excess leaves and gumnuts now too (early summer, Fasting πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰), which is a pain for the swimming pool!! P

Just had two very dramatic weather forecasts, rare freezing rain on to frozen ground = immediate black ice on roads and pavements. Daughter postponing visit until tomorrow and OH not going to Llandudno for the match. I need to live in a warm climate! πŸ˜„

Pol, my sympathies re the mince pie. It’s probably a good thing that, having followed 5:2 more or less faithfully, we have to pay for anything too rich or too carby. In my case it often leads to an additional, non-scheduled fast day because I feel so rough.
    Purple, I’m right with with you re breakfast, indeed I don’t eat breakfast, end of story. Suddenly, a years-long habit for which I was berated from all sides – parents, teachers, docs – has come in very useful. It’s great to save all the calories for dinner.
    As for weather, we are about to head westward to visit my cousin and his lady in the Forest of Dean, with the threat of some very iffy weather – not quite as bad as a bit further north, though. Of course, I may be speaking too soon.

Your snow and ice causes havoc, so do our storms. We are getting extreme thunderstorms (and cyclones in Qld). Severely hampers road, rail and air traffic. I can hear sirens screaming up on the main road as I head off to bed.
    The call of Christmas food is all around. Thank goodness I’ve learnt to eat with restraint!! 😊

Polly, we are off on our annual jaunt to Australia to visit the children and grandchildren. The hint of ‘the Ditch’ didn’t give you a clue? Colloquial for the Tasman Sea πŸ™‚ For the last couple of years we have been able to catch up with them all in Sydney, but our daughter has just moved to the Gold Coast (Queensland) with her new man, so we will have to split our visit between them, incorporating a gentle 850km drive north and probably staying a couple of nights en route. With luck we will catch up with P and Mr P while in Sydney.

Another glorious summer’s day here. I was astonished to hear that yesterday the North Island was struck by nearly 30,000 lightening strikes – it certainly didn’t happen here! Wellington is often the coldest place in the NI, but yesterday its microclimate worked in reverse. πŸ™‚

Here in New Hampshire we are limping along with no new snow in weeks. Consequently, many bare patches on the ground. But 1-4″ due tomorrow. We do so like a White Christmas and so do our sons who come from urban settings. We are reminded that 10 years ago at this time we were in the aftermath of the Great Ice Storm which struck on the night of Dec 11. We woke up that morning at 4:30 to the sound of a tree limb coming through the skylight in the kitchen. That was the only damage to our property, but the power went our half an hour later and stayed out for TWELVE DAYS. Since we have wood stoves for supplementary heat and a large wood pile, we were fine for heat. Water was another matter. I would go down hill behind the barn to bring back buckets from the stream to flush toilets. This became my job as ODH’s university was unaffected and he had to go to work. My school was closed until after Christmas. Friends in the next town got their systems back sooner and since they had town water [our well works by an electric pump, you see], they invited us over for showers and gave us jars of water for teeth and cooking. So in one night, we were yanked back to the 1800s in terms of home life: no running water, no electricity, early dinner by candlelight, reading by candlelight in the evening. It was an adventure but we were so glad when the power came back.

We dined with friends last night and often that means packing on the weight. But the hostess follows my blog and she and her husband are trying to lose weight. So she asked how large a slice of meat pie I wanted and served 2 vegetables without any starches. Ice cream with a light fruit sauce for dessert. And today I am 0.3 pounds lighter! Would that it were always so easy.

So many of you traveling. When our parents were alive, we would go to New York State or to Pennsylvania for Christmas. But now we stay home and our dear sons come to us. Only one DIL and she stays in California — not to be rude but so her husband can enjoy his family. Also, Christmas isn’t her thing. So we are cocooned in our snug house with the fires going and all the familiar foods. nice.

‘The Ditch.’ I like it. Pol, what’s the local name for the Irish Sea?

Barata, what a lot of traveling you will do! But you’ll get to see the grandchildren. Our tree is still growing in the tree farm. We tagged it but lack the energy to cut it down and haul it here. When #1 arrives on Friday, he’ll be pressed into duty.

Herma, hope the weather doesn’t impede your trip to the Forest of Dean.

Pol, hope your sister gets her visit in, despite the weather.

Must do Christmas Cards today and get the boys’ rooms ready while ODH watches [American] football. Fasting tomorrow.

Happy Winter solstice! Happy Summer Solstice!
    Had some good Fasts this week — am now at my favorite weight, just in time for the Feasting.
    Good weekend to you all.

And to you, FM!!! I can’t believe I missed it this year! Too busy being a grandparent 😊😊
    No full fasts for me for a while, just mindful eating and skipping meals. Have a very peaceful and happy Christmas my fasting mates. P πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ

Merry Christmas all!

I’ve been following posts but too caught up in Xmas jobs to reply until now.

So happy I have got rid of that extra kilo I didn’t want, simply by Changing food I was eating.

I’ve eaten the same foods for years since being on 5:2 so that extra kilo was a worry. I took a leaf out of purples book re Omni diet and day after FD didn’t eat any grains, fruit or dairy. That did the trick! Has worked for the past three weeks now. I’ve also Noticed any grains at all, even the healthy ones put the weight on me. So now I’m aware and if I choose to eat those foods I know what will happen and it’s an informed choice.

Hppy holidays everyone, enjoy times with family friends, food and wine – we’re not here for long and you can always fast another day!
    😊

Thanks for everyone’s support, advice, stories, recipes and sharing. I appreciate immensely all your support and wish you all happy healthy 2019!

Happy Christmas , Nadolig Llawen, pawb! πŸŽ„ this time last year we had deep snow, just grey, damp and mild this year: not pretty, but I prefer it. Lots of Christmas lights around are lovely.

We don’t have a nickname for the Irish Sea, fasting.

Very bad digestion troubles after two pieces of bread and a single mince pie last week, so I’ve been very wary this week. Result – also at my favourite weight, namely the bottom of my wriggle room. We’ve noticed that there’s a delay with weight loss showing, haven’t we.

Don’t think we’re going to be bothered about the reduction in size of Quality Street tins, are we? πŸ˜„. Im sure we will enjoy our meals and treats.

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

I’ve had the same, girls! In an effort to clear the freezer out before Christmas, I ate pizza yesterday. Home made. Wholemeal. Home made base. Result: shocking stomach ache! Grrr…
    Finished off homemade mushroom rissotto and cheesy cauliflower tonight (with salad, Carol) ..both home made months ago (not the salad)…fingers crossed the smooth red wine settles the stomach! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
    I was raised never to waste anything. Can cause problems. πŸ™„P

The Sons are home, the baking is done, gift-wrapping is next. No new snow, tho flurries are forecast. Fingers crossed for a white Christmas. Weight is up: 1/2 pound yesterday and another 1/2 pound today. Not pleased, but will watch and log what I eat.

Merry Christmas to you all.

4:30 Christmas morning here. Santa will have been. The full moon is peeping through a crack in the curtains. Family members already sleeping in the spare bedroom. All set for a summer Christmas eatfest by the pool with mid to high 20s predicted. Perfect.
    I too have popped up on the scales due to the unusual carb eating. Ah well. We maintenance folk can cope with that. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
    Have a very happy and peaceful Christmas Day everyone. Thanks for the news and interesting chats over another successful fasting year. P πŸŽ„πŸŽ„

Happy Christmas, P – and everyone else! Warm and wet here: I’ve just ended a day of cooking and packing by taking the Nordic poles for a half-hour walk. Lovely time to go: fascinating glimpses through lit windows into other people’s lives, and meetings with dog walkers. Back now, for avo, prawns and raspberries for Christmas Eve fast day. Duck and Christmas pud tomorrow!
    Have a lovely festival, all..

It’s a dreary Christmas morning here, but the rain should clear later, and the temperature reach the low 20s. It’s good to know I will be leaving the garden well-watered. Santa’s been and gone, family astirs. Have a very happy Christmas, all my dear fasting and maintaining friends. πŸ™‚

Hope you each and all had a happy and satisfying Christmas Day. On the Feast of Stephen, we are still enjoying our presents and the clear cold weather and each other’s company. Lots of good food to eat around here, as all of us cook/bake/roast well.

Sort of a Fast Day today. [Half-Fast?] Hope the scales will agree tomorrow.

Good morning all friends across the world. Hope everyone enjoyed Christmas, as did we, although it was quieter than ever it seemed. Daughter was amazed that I have no chocolate in the house. She brought cake, OH had bought mince pies, but I ate neither. No taste for them now. Daughter ate the cake herself over the three days she was here, so I’m expecting her to put weight on – again!

OH is dodging the scales – again! We are going to a 90 th birthday lunch in a very posh restaurant at the end of January, so he’s going to have to buckle down and ensure that he can wear a suit. Why the hell he can’t see that daily weighing helps I don’t know.

Barata, we also had a grey, dreary Christmas Day here, although it wasn’t cold as you woukd expect. This time last year we had so much snow. Now we’re only just in single figures.

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

Hi Polly and my Maintenance Mates 😊
    We have had a lovely extended socialable Christmas with a heatwave! We caught up with so many people and ate what we felt like…which is significantly less and different to in the past!
    We are going to have a very quiet NYE at home tonight, watching the fireworks on tv, with a bottle of bubbly and homemade paella.
    I wish every one of you a very happy, peaceful 2019 and continued good health.
    Cheers P πŸŽŠπŸŽ†πŸŽ‡βœ¨πŸŽ‰

Happy and peaceful new year to all of you.
    Just opened small gift number 7 from the β€˜12 days, 12 gifts’ Christmas bag given me by a friend ( the one who knows my dietary habits, yet (so?) always buys cake at coffee time, cuts it in half and puts half on a plate in front of me.). She’s done this for 3 years now:12 beautifully wrapped gifts, really kind. Except that every single one, every single year, is a small bar or packet of something she knows I won’t eat – (even the small pack of nuts is honey roasted!Β§)
    In previous years I’ve thanked her nicely for her kindness, while saying tactfully that it will all be eaten by other people – so first question of the new year: is it ungracious and ungrateful to wonder if this now counts as passive aggressive – or am I just being a Grinch?
    Answers on a forum postcard, please…

Happy New Year and Happy Hogmanay to you each.

My weight has sneaked in and then leapt up to attack. Am not in a happy weight place. Am hoping this is due to slow transit and that this too shall pass. [every pun intended] Do not want to go too far into 2019 with weight to lose.
    Tonight we go to our neighbors [1/2 mile up the hill] a 9:30 pm for a Pot Luck dinner. Then everyone comes to our front yard for Scottish-style Fire Balls [although we throw them into the snow rather than into the ocean], then 1.5 miles up the road to the intersection of 2 dirt roads in the middle of the woods. For decades local wags referred to this as “Time Square.” Our friends rig a disco ball on a tree branch, then we all go up there, shine flashlights on it, and count down to midnight as the Ball drops. Then we stand in the middle of the road, drink bubbly and sing Auld Lang Syne. THEN, everyone repairs to our house for dessert. Last year the party broke up at 1:30 am. We must be getting old. Weather says snow/sleet tonight, then rain by midnight. That doesn’t sound fun. But we’ll be jolly any way!

FSF, yes, I have friends who do that too. Everyone says, ‘its the holiday’ or ‘its only a bite or two’ or ‘come on, you don’t need to lose weight. why can’t you enjoy yourself?’ Sigh. Put the snacks out when other people come to visit to get rid of them.

Have a grand time, however you see in 2019.

Happy New Year, dear Fast! πŸŽ†πŸŽ†πŸŽ‡βœ¨
    As I have similar experiences, all I can suggest is that your “friend’s” behaviour is a reflection of the incredible lack of thought most people put in before they act. I have a dear, dear dil who is one of the few people I have ever met who agonises over everything she does, so that others will be happy. The dear girl tears herself apart over it. One extreme or the other!
    Have a very happy 2019 and do as I do, find a charity to give the unsuitable presents to, or bin them. I cannot bring myself to encourage poor eating habits in others, so would rather throw them out. Not even the compost worms deserve to eat straight sugar πŸ˜‰
    Cheers P πŸŽ†πŸŽ†πŸŽ‡βœ¨

Greetings, all, and a happy New Year to you! Sounds like a lot of fun, Fasting, hope you aren’t getting too cold.

FFS, I agree with P, even though I would probably be tempted to indulge πŸ™

We are here in Sydney sharing P’s heatwave, sitting on the deck under the fan, watching the grandchildren in and out of their paddling pool while the parents enjoy the evening out, and the freedom of having live-in sitters. Must be wine time!

Happy new year everyone! We are staying with friends down at the beach, bracing for the 41degrees coming later in the week! β˜€οΈ

FFS, I think that gift rates as sabotage! I’d be inclined to refuse it if it’s thesame next year – put it back on her. It’s not really a gift given in the spirit of giving is it?

Fasting your celebrations sound wonderful although I don’t know what most of them are but would love to be there! πŸŽ„πŸŽ‰

Happy New Year Blwyddyn Newydd Dda o’r Gogledd Gymru! We had my cousin and her husband round for a meal, sensible choices apart from bread and butter pudding desssert. Then we watched the fireworks from London. Best things was a FaceTime from our gorgeous boys in New Jersey as the chimes ended.

Fasting me, that sounds a great way to see in the New Year. Original and special to your friends and neighbours.

FFS, when I started reading about your 12days of Christmas, I thought it was a wonderful idea – then I read the contents. Hmmmm. Some envy there, I wonder?

I’m just catching up on the news, seeing the fireworks and celebfrom all over the world. Everywhere seems so hopeful and positive. Let’s hope that persists, especially in these times where this country’s future is so precarious and the leader of the USA is an impulsive, petulant idiot.

Hwyl fawr,

Pol. Xx

Right on, Pol! As we swung our Fire Balls last night [to gather up and destroy all the ‘bad vibes’ from 2018] one of the participants was listing all the awful things he wanted to go way. Guess which was #1?

Carolan, enjoy your 41 C. temperatures at the beach. Sounds like a lot of swimming to me!

Barata, we weren’t too cold last night, as it was raining [on top of 1″ of new snow]. Last year it was record-breaking cold, so we curtailed some of the activities. Hope you aren’t getting too hot!

PVE, I don’t think the compost worms would eat the sugary’ treats’ — would probably die. There’s a lesson!

Happy, healthy, lean New Year to all.

Just as we don’t feed ducks white bread! Funny how humans eat so much garbage.
    I hope your friend’s wish comes true 😁

Finally lost the last bit of New Year’s Eve weight, which pleases me a lot.

PVE, if there were ducks to feed, I’d probably give them white bread, just to get rid of it. Chickens like bread too. And since both those types of fowl get to eat other foods, the simple carbs probably don’t hurt them.

Good morning, worldwide friends! I have had an annoying week, really. Two meals out, for various reasons. One place was a gastro pub, the other an ordinary village pub, with food. Hiwever, in both cases the one vegetarian option was a sweet potato pie. And to make it worse, both were served with either chips or mashed potatoes! 😣.

I hope this has not replaced risotto as the default vegetarian meal. I don’t even like pastry, anyway and leave it. At the second place, the option had been put on speciallly for me and the U3A dining group. The irony is that this pub, in a lovely village near here, had been run by the parents of my son’s good friend for 40 years. The wife prided herself on her food.

We’ve booked our next trip to Princeton. Going at end of March, hopefully for better weather than last year.

Surely pastry based choices are a better option than risotto, Pol? You can leave the pastry. It’s very hard to not eat rice in risotto. P

Depends what is in the pie, PVE. Ditto risotto, I suppose. And I’m not that keen on it anyway. Our favourite chain restaurant does ‘lite’, ie half portions with a very good side salad.

I was appalled at the lack of imagination, not to say common sense, in serving potatoes and potatoes.

I’m pleasantly surprised how much good veg food is available now Polly. I’m carnivorous, but usually choose veg (or fish) when out as they include more veg and are interesting. I will buy a pie, when pushed, and peel off the pastry. I never buy risotto.

I’m not pleased with availability of vegetarian meals and there’s definitely a trend. Luckily there two place near here with regularly changing menus and some interesting meals.

Belated Happy New Year, Maintainers!

I’m afraid I’m officially a Gainer πŸ˜” Christmas and NY were far too sociable, too many meals out (and in), and I got gifted a huge piece of Christmas cake by someone who themselves had far too much… OH doesn’t like it, so it was just down to 🐷🐷🐷 here to get rid of it 😊 Despite getting out for a good walk most days, the scales have not been kind.

I did one fast last week, but will have to make a concerted effort in the next couple of weeks to get rid of the 2 (!!) extra kg. I can’t believe I ate enough in 8 days to gain 2kg of fat, but the scales say otherwise. Luckily (?!) I’m really busy with work at the moment, so the days fly by without time to think about food.

FFS, I don’t suppose your ’12 days’ will last til next year, when you could regift it to your friend?!

Polly,

Re: vegetarian options. I had a coffee in town yesterday and looked at the lunch menu. The vegetarian options were macaroni cheese, veggie lasagne or a baked potato with butter!

Brilliant idea, Happy! Problems are, 1: she lives with a T2D sufferer who will eat them all without a second thought and I don’t want to be responsible for that (I know I wouldn’t be, but you know what I mean) and 2: whatever I say, I shall end up eating them before then if I don’t throw them out now – precisely her intention, I suspect! So out they go, however painful for a (just) postwar baby brought up to believe that waste – even of rubbish – is evil.

You have 2Kg, I Have 3lbs and a rediscovered sweet tooth. Let’s sort it now – we can do it!

Don’t panic Happy. I’m carrying Xmas weight, too. And have some cake that will have to be pushed onto visitors…tiny bites only! Fasted again today. We’ll lose it! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
    FM, I learnt to throw unacceptable food straight in the bin when we began 5:2 nearly 3 years ago. No matter how committed, temptation does not have to be in your house. P

Ladies, you’ve given me a laugh first thing in the morning, after a poor night’s sleep! Meals out are a problem if there’s a lovely desert on offer! Thankfully, my lack of appetite did work and I declined. Daughter was astonished at the lack of chocolate in the house – no Quality Street! I didn’t not trust myself.
    I did go a lb over upper wriggle room, but did sort it with a couple of FDs.

I’m not surprised at the veg options, Happy. We fancy comfort food now. One of OH’s lovely soups woukd be good, but we woukd be tempted to have chunks of bread with it.

I’ve arranged to join a choir tonight, meeting one friend and taking another. Ironically, I’ve coughed all night and am sounding hoarse! Might be better now I’m vertical!

Greetings, ladies. We have now moved on from Sydney and are enjoying a sweltering Gold Coast, with the hospitality of our daughter and her new man. So all good, but I don’t think I could cope with this on a regular basis, particularly the hot nights.

After a week away from the scales I have no idea what I weigh, but we have been very good about skipping breakfasts and saving the calories for the wine and later meals. Problem is, daughter’s new man is as skinny as, needs feeding and is very generous, so it is a constant battle to defend ourselves from his food offerings. We so hope that she will be happy with him!

Sorry you are not sleeping well, Polly. I have the same problem, waking up in the night for hours. Not helped by the neighbour’s baby crying through the wall here, and the heat.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,651 through 10,700 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.