The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,501 through 10,550 (of 11,673 total)

• Polly,

How rude of your colleague! If you’d been very fat at 50 would they have said ‘whale’ or ‘Jabba the Hutt’ ?!

I’m nearly 50 and size 8. Despite recently being referred to as ‘skin and bone’ (by a larger lady, who then grudgingly said if I wasn’t ill and if I was happy like this then she supposed it was OK!), I don’t think I look skeletal in recent photos! I hope not! You’re worrying me now!!

Enjoy the Gorge!

The leaves here are stunning too, just a few too many on the ground (and a lot more to come down yet). Yup, I’ll be taking at the weekend…

You and I are same height and similar weight Happy and I don’t think we’re skeletal, just slim! 😊

Raking, not taking, Happy? You are certainly not skeletal either…just a proper healthy size!
    We have driven off into the countryside for the weekend. Perfect fast day activity.
    We’ve just broken our all day fast with a little smoked salmon and some salad I made at home and brought with us. Who said you can’t eat well in a motel room? πŸ˜‰
    The country looks terrific as a result of the massive rainfall we’ve had in the last few weeks. All the dams are overflowing and the paddocks are brilliant green, with a gorgeous backdrop of rugged blue, eucalyptus covered mountains. The late afternoon sunlight highlighted all the colours. Stunning.
    More driving through forests and farmland tomorrow. P

P, I’ll be taking leaves off the lawn at the weekend… ? πŸ˜€

As everything is greening up for you, it’s turning brown, russet and red here. I hope your drought-stricken farmers and wildlife are getting the water and new growth they so desperately need?

And thanks for the kind words! I was beginning to think I could just put a white catsuit on for Halloween fancy dress as a skeleton…! πŸ’€πŸ‘»

Excellent Halloween outfit!!
    Many farmers have had good falls, but it has been a bit patchy, so some, quite closeby, missed out. Many of them had had NO rain for 2 years!

I think we should all put together a travel site: The View From My Window. It would be very popular!
    We had a ‘white frost’ last night — not what I’d call ‘St Luke’s Summer.’ Black Frost coming this weekend, right on time. We still have some colorful maple leaves on trees, despite yesterday’s strong winds, but the oaks haven’t colored up yet. That’s pretty too.

Fasting: “Hangtown Fry” for breakfast was a hit: eggs scrambled with bacon and oysters. Chicken Quesadillas tonight for dinner. A favorite.

Rather than come here and whinge, as is my wont, I come to quietly celebrate a small victory. At 63.4 kilos, (9 st. 13.77 lb) I’ve broken the 10 stone barrier for the first time in nearly 30 years.

I know, I know. Strictly speaking, I’m still overweight, with 3.5 kilos (half a stone) to go to BMI 24.9, at which no over-eager quack can accuse me of being an unhealthy fatso (I wouldn’t put it past some of them, though). But when you’ve hovered around BMI 35 (not helped by the doc keeping me on corticosteroids for 2 1/2 years, by which the time the polymyalgia rheumatica it was prescribed to treat had long since gone), 26.4 feels pretty damned good. And it doesn’t look too bad, either. πŸ™‚

Thanks for all the encouragement I’ve received from all you good mates out there.

Hermaj!

Congratulations on dipping under 10 stone! You might not be BMI under 25, but I suspect that’s a bit acadenic when you’ve been BMI 35. You should be justifiably pleased with what you’ve achieved πŸ‘ πŸ₯‡

Thanks for your kind words, Happy.

I wouldn’t be overly worried to stay around the current weight at which I feel and look good, especially if one can believe the findings recorded in the Scientific American a couple of years ago,

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/could-a-few-extra-pounds-help-you-live-longer/

i.e. that a wee bit of extra padding might be actually be good for us oldies.

My overall state of health in my dotage suggests that 3.5 kilos or 7 or so lbs is no bad thing, any more than it is to be elegantly slender.

Well, herm! Congratulations! Half a stone over is nothing, especially as you’ve reduced your BMI so much. Are you still on any medication?

I agree a bit of weight – especially on the face is good. I looked gaunt in those pics where my young colleague called me ‘Skeletor’ and I look dreadful in my 50Th birthday photos. A thin face is a pain and can be very ageing.

View from my window is lovely today. Autumn colours and, looking across the valley, to the church tower and Bailey Hill, an old motte and Bailey castle, is beautiful. Too many conifers planted to the view from the front good.

I’ve just indulged in a walnut whip while the cat’s away at rugby. We won the U3A quiz last night; it was a prize! 😁

I’m delighted to say, Pol, that I’m on no medication whatsoever. One of the major spin-offs of 5:2 has been a healthy reduction in BP, so no meds for that. I also managed to persuade the doc that statins were a very bad idea, especially as a “just-in-case” med, specifically as they were giving me scream-out-loud muscular cramps. I do take one or two self-prescribed OTC multivitamins vitamins and supplements.

Another surprise. When I went for my annual eye test a couple of years ago, my glasses didn’t seem to be working that well and I assumed it was loss of vision in my advancing years. Wrong! The lens for my weaker eye was now too strong, and the optometrist reckoned it was yet another desirable side-effect of IF.

And yes, the old face still looks pretty good, although I’m far from photogenic. You have to see me for real. Nice smooth cheeks and forehead. A few marks around mouth and chin, but that’s probably because I’m a miserable old git who gets very cross with the world, and I follow a family trend for frowning when concentrating and problem-solving.

I do envy you your autumn colours. We have plenty of greenery in and around Cambridge, but so far nothing to write home about. Of course, it’s not on the scale of New England which we experienced a few years back on my first ever trip to the US (not for OH who worked there before I came on the scene). It was so wonderful to see that the hype was more than believable. I think climate change has considerably narrowed the gap between US and UK, but it doesn’t seem to have happened in this neck of the woods.

Thanks to meeting so many 5:2 friends from the Southern Hemisphere on the Forum, I now know that when it comes to fall colours, the Antipodes also offers some amazing spectacles, right up there with the USA and in some cases even more spectacular.

Great accomplishment, Herm! Well done. Keep up the good work.

Polly, your view sounds delightful. What trees do you have there in Wales that turn colors? I know you do have colorful trees, just wondering which varieties they are. Our color comes from Sugar Maples + Red Maples mostly. Then the Oaks chime in with russet.
    There have been record-breaking rains this summer, with some roads in our area still washed out. No personal problems.

But isn’t it true that women with slender faces are said to have ‘good bone structure’?

happy weekend.

Herm – yabbbadabbadoo!! So many congratulations! I shall look forward to seeing it in the flesh next month. X

Well done Herm!!!! You little beauty!!! I KNEW you could do it! It’s such a thrill to take control yourself and walk away from the negativity of others.
    Keep up the vigilance πŸ™‚πŸ€—πŸ˜πŸ˜ŠP

I am so happy for you Herm! You must be so proud of yourself! Such tenacity and determination!

Polly, what’s a walnut whip? Sounds calorific!😊

Thank you, fasting, and thank you both, Fast and Purple, along with Happy some of my kindest and supporters and putters-up with my whinging over the years.

From now on, I’ll worry less about trying to lose more, although I wouldn’t break down and cry if another kilo were to disappear. The main aim will be to stay hovering a bit below 139 lbs like a real maintainer.

Don’t worry, Carol – you wouldn’t like them, despite the β€˜nut’ in the name!

Our posts crossed, Carolann. Thank you, too, for your kind words. It does help having the support of such lovely people.

I HAD to google it! Urrggghhh…double evil…chocolate AND Nestle! Good grief, Polly, what were you thinking? Apparently 1 is eaten every 2 seconds in the UK 😐🀨 P

Ha ha, walnut whips. I’ve not eaten one for perhaps 20 years. Slightly more acceptable than a Creme Egg I guess…!

Hermaj,

You HAVE been a real maintainer for many years already! You might not have been quite at your goal weight for all those years, but you lost a lot weight and at least maintained that weight loss.

I’m a frowner too when I’m concentrating ☹️ I need to remember to smile when I’m focusing to prevent my forehead creasing….

Fasting_me,

I suspect all our broad-leaved trees turn colour in the autumn as they prepare for winter. The colourful display is often ruined by storms and high winds though! Looking out from my window, trees in various colours from green through yellow to orange, red and brown include ash, sycamore, apple, hazel, hawthorn, cherry, maple, willow, damson and medlar. Not many oaks where we are so I can’t comment on them.

Herm, that is marvellous news about your medication and eye sight! I wish I could get OH to take things as seriously. I’m surprised that you don’t have lovely tree colours in Cambridge- here they’re mostly the usual British deciduous trees, with the odd maple. Just as Happy described, really. There’s an ancient oak in the garden, just turning at the moment. We have a beautiful ornamental cherry at end of our path. Its colours are amazing, but the wind made short work of the leaves this year.

I couldn’t resist the Walnut Whip as it was so old school chocolate! Not as good as in memory, though. Our wedding anniversary today, but dithering about where and what to eat.

Happy Anniversary Polly! How many years?

On the subject of trees, the Rowan leaves are a stunning bright red, and I also forgot to mention horse chestnut and beech putting on a fine display at the moment!

Happy anniversary Polly and Mr Pol! Enjoy your day.
    Happy, your mention of a rowan tree brings back memories of a favourite old song. (We never had any idea what a rowan was.) “Well the oak and the ash and the bonny rowan tree, They’re all growing fre-e in the north count-er-ry” 😊
    Any autumn colours here are exotics. Our natives are evergreens. At present I’m being thrilled by the brilliant greens of new spring growth and the last of the blossoms on trees.
    Quite a few little lambs, calves and foals enjoying the new shoots after the rain, but not as many as usual, due to reduced stocking over the long drought. Last night, we experienced a stunning sunset along the broad country horizon, and under dark, threatening black clouds. Truely awe inspiring! Country vistas out here in the NSW Highlands are spectacular. P

Gosh, the trees sounds beautiful! I’ll always remember being absolutely stunned by the green of the trees on our first visit to England! Our green here is more of a bluey, grey green but we do have the most amazing eucalyptus smell with our gum trees.

The sunset sounds amazing Purple, there have been some beauties lately!

I suspect a walnut whip is another one of those ‘memory foods’ FFS, never taste as good as you remember them 😞

Happy anniversary Polly πŸ’πŸΎ

as Happy said Hermaj, you are definitely a maintainer!

We are just at the end of a glorious long weekend. It didn’t quite get into the 20s, but wall-to-wall sunshine. OH and I took a clifftop walk this morning to get the vitamin D generating. My view is across the valley to the houses and bush glowing in the evening sun. And closer in, hopeful sparrows are visiting the feeder outside my window. The cabbage trees are in full flower along the main road, and I noticed the first buds on my feijoas.

Labour Weekend is traditionally the time when everyone’s thoughts turn to their spring gardens, and the centres go crazy. I wandered around, trying to get enthused about vegetables, and exited almost empty-handed, apart from a couple of petunias and some rocket seedlings!

Well done Hermaj! What a wonderful feeling to have achieved that milestone. πŸ™‚ And happy anniversary, Polly.

We spent our Monday fast driving from the grazing land high in the ranges, dropping down along winding forest roads through massive eucalypt forests, the trees hung with lush vines, the forest floor supporting tall tree ferns and palms. The sound of bell birds echoing through the valleys. We emerged from the forest into more lush dairy country, criss crossed by swollen creeks and rivers, to the coast. Stunning 27 deg day as we wandered in and out of a range of coastal resort areas with golden sand, blue blue sea and rolling breakers. Great to be alove! P

Alove. I love it!! πŸ™‚

We lost our Rowman last year, unfortunately. I do love autumn, but hate winter. Barata and Purple, your descriptions sound wonderful. Beautiful spring with promise of more warmth.

Carol, you are spot on about the walnut whip! Some years ago we discovered packets of Angel Delight in on of the cheap chain stores which have appeared here. We bought a couple of packets with glee. It was vile! Tasted of hydrogenous fat.

We’ve been married for an unbelievable 51 years! 😲😲. I’m far too young!

Dear Hermaj
    Congratulations on your tenacity and determination to lose those pounds. πŸ˜ŠπŸ™‹πŸ’ƒπŸŽ‰
    You wonderful woman! What a fabulous achievement. Keep it up.

I’ve come out of self imposed silence to cheer you on! I hope you’re enjoying your new life in Cambridge.
    We persevere with IF and travel, and grandkids, and gratitude, and all things that make life worthwhile.

It’s now 4 years and 9 months since I began on the 5:2 journey, and met Purple and others. πŸŒΈπŸ™‹πŸ˜„
    Hi to all the amazing maintainers.
    All the best, Bay πŸ˜„ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜„

Hiya Bay πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘‹
    So wonderful you are still “with” us! We’ve all come a long way sinxe 2013 together, haven’t we?
    All the best to you and Mr B. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
    P

Bay! Lovely to hear from you again, good to know you’re still with us.

Polly, sorry to hear your tree died. For a minute their I thought you had your own boat-based chaffeur πŸ˜€

51 years is an immense amount of time! You must have been a child bride…

Good morning from NH.
    We awoke to a bright, sunny, sub-freezing day, with the light brilliant on the remaining yellow leaves. Reading about the natural beauty of all your various regions was wonderful — I did my best to imagine what it looked like. Nature at her best. Those views inspire me to keep going and to stay healthy so I can continue to get outside and enjoy.

ODH is having a great morning, feeling energetic — which is unusual lately given his various ills. We will go for a walk and then he visits a new physical therapist to embark on a special program.

Happy Anniversary to Pol and Mr Pol.
    Herm, your improved vision is a marvel!

Somehow I have gained 3 pounds! Grrr. Not happy. Tho I was happy enough eating last night’s sauerbraten with potato pancakes [a mini Oktoberfest] followed by apple pie. But really — 3 pounds?!?
    Fasting today, of course. Eggs with queso fresco and chorizo pate for breakfast [flavors of the Azores]
    and tonight BLT Sandwiches to take advantage of some lovely end-of season tomatoes.

Hope you each have a fine day.

Damn autocorrect! Hi, Bay. Good to hear from you.

Yes, I was a child bride of 20! Mad.

Bay! How lovely of you to return specially to cheer me on. Thank you for your kind words.

You were most certainly not forgotten. In fact, I was thinking of you a couple of days ago when I mentioned how I became aware of the wonderful autumn colours in the Antipodes. It was through an exchange with you that I realised that New England definitely didn’t get the matter of fall foliage all its own way.

We’ve been in Cambridge nearly a year. Of course, there were a lot of initial hiccups, but all in all, it has proved to be a wise move. The house has its faults but it really feels like home and it’s wonderful to have a garden after many years of no direct access to the outside. Cambridge is a beautiful city with its glorious architecture and wide green spaces and although we live out of the centre, we can reach it by a usually reliable bus in about 12 minutes. Driving isn’t always a good idea as parking can be a problem. Provided the trains behave themselves, it’s only an hour or so to London.

One of the reasons to move was to be closer to family and/or to have the space to invite those living further away to stay with us. It used to be a family joke with my lot that arranging visits between London and the Suffolk-Essex border was like organising the D-Day landings. Now a quick “can we pop round?” phone call or, for more major meetings, a couple of days’ notice is enough.

Pol, Happy, fasting and all you lovely leaf-peepers. Cambridge is still lagging a bit behind when it comes to autumn colours, possibly because of the nature of the trees and, according to Him Indoors, it may be that it hasn’t been cold enough to produce any dramatic effect. Could he be right? I have to say, though, that in the last day or so there have been some subtle colour changes. But what I really want to see are a nice range of reds.

The reds are on the wine rack, I trust, Hermaj?

Greetings, Bay, and good to hear from you. πŸ™‚

Hi everyone
    Many thanks for the welcome. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Hermaj
    Great to hear that life in Cambridge has turned out well. I think maybe Mr H is correct. You may not have had cold enough weather to get the deep red leaves. Most of our tree colours are on oak trees, pinoaks, Japanese maples, prunus, and in particular, the glorious crimson of Manchurian pear trees.

Cheers, all, Bay πŸŒ³πŸ‘€πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ

Good morning, all. Bit more discipline need here. Hit top wriggle room today, but stuck in the upper end for too long. It’ll be hard today as we’re travelling to South Wales for a funeral, staying overnight with brother-in-law. Portion sizes are creeping up, as are treats.

Sorry, to disappoint, Barata, but there ain’t no reds – or whites for that matter – in the wine rack, at least not in my section. I used to enjoy the odd glass, but that was before I finally managed to quit smoking way back in 2002, on my 10th attempt to kick the ciggies.

Giving up smoking is supposed to affect one’s taste buds, in a good way. Not for me, I fear. Both red wine and G&T, my other preferred tipple, started to taste revolting. And they still do. I still cook with wine, though. One major advantage is that keeping off the sauce does leave me with quite a few calories to play with for the odd treat, especially of the dark chocolate kind.

Getting back to autumn colours, although Cambridge is a bit behind schedule with the leaves, we do have some wonderful displays of Rowan berries on large trees planted alongside the road close to home.

I’ve reported the above sales pitch, so hopefully it will be removed soon. (Not yours, herm – the blatant abuse of this forum one. )

πŸ‘πŸ™πŸ» FFS

I did, too. Not much of attempt to fisguspam, either.

Fisguspam? Disguise spam?!

I didn’t for one moment think it was me you were gunning for, Fast. πŸ™‚

I thought the post looked pretty suspicious, based on the crap command of English and spelling even worse than my own sometimes is on a bad day.

I always message JJ straight away and never discuss! πŸ˜‰

Oops, my iPad is going mad. I just bashed that reply out before we left for a funeral in South Wales. Didn’t even glance at it.

That’s what yoi get when you mix fruit and electronics, Polly πŸ˜‰πŸŽβš‘

So I fasted yesterday to try and get away from 60kg. I didn’t see the usual drop on the scales from a fast day, not sure why. But today has been a fairly restrained eating day, ending in a fast of sorts – OH was delayed and neither of us wanted to eat after 9.30. Fingers crossed this shows on the scale! I have a few meals out in the next week, and 8 days of hotel food at the start of November, so it would be nice to be a bit lighter in advance.

Polly, I’m frequently surprised by what my iPad deems a sensible spelling substitute…or what it can’t even begin to comprehend!

Maybe because 60 kg is already light,how tall are you?

Bad scales this morning – no surprise, though. Brother-in-law made breakfast, so that woke the hunger dragon. It’s going to be strict calorie counting for a few days to get the discipline back.

Happy, I’m the same! Have noticed sometimes no drop after FD or a small drop and then a bit more of a drop 2 days after but not getting below first trigger point very often these days. Traditionally, Thursday has always been my lowest day but the past few weeks I’ve gone higher than the Wednesday. No idea why any of this is happening, I am being very vigilant. I did a 16:8 today in addition to my FD hoping that might give me a bit of a kick start.

Only one different thing I have noted is a recent redistribution of weight to back of hips and stomach. I’ve always had a little pot belly since my hysterectomy but now it’s an obvious stomach. Some of my clothes are starting to feel a tad uncomfortable around that tummy area because of that. I recently had a colonoscopy – couldn’t be due to gas or whatever it is they pump into you during such a procedure could it? It’s all getting quite depressing!

Polly, sorry about the brekkie. So hard to stop once the hunger genie awakens!

Viewing 50 posts - 10,501 through 10,550 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.