The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,451 through 10,500 (of 11,673 total)

• Hi Beedoo,

Well it isn’t a numbers game for me! Apart from getting an idea of what 500 calories looked like for fast days, I don’t and never have counted calories. I did however change my eating habits, so I eat considerably less processed carbohydrate and little or no added sugar most days. But I do eat a lot of cheese and nuts 😊 And until this summer I had been eating between 11 and 7 most days (so 16:8 pattern).

I weigh myself every day and use that as a guide as to whether I need to fast, and how strict I need to be on the fast day. If I’m maintaining my weight then I don’t fast, or I do a 24 hour fast with perhaps an 800 calorie meal.

There isn’t one size fits all for maintenance. We’ve all had to find our own way. But I don’t think anyone here is a very strict calorie counter?

BeeDoo, I think Purple has said it all beautifully!

For myself, I weigh every day (I’m into numbers too) and I fast one day a week. When I first started the 5:2 WOL I installed myfitnesspal on my iPad and recorded what I ate and how many calories I was consuming. I still go back to that now if I feel I’m starting to slide a bit. I tend to eat very much the same foods when I’m at home, only straying when I go out for a meal etc. After a while you know approx how many calories you’re consuming each day. I don’t restrict myself on my non FD but I do usually eat only healthy food. I’m a carboholic so I still have carbs for my breakfast but they’re not simple carbs they’re grains like oats, quinoa, buckwheat. I don’t often have bread but if I do its bread made with oats not wheat. I think what also helps is identifying your Achilles heel – for me any white carbs or sugar will always show up on the scales. I’ve kept food diaries over the years too, once again as a tool to keep me on track.

You will find your own way as we all have. When you read the posts on here you will notice the different ways we all do 5:2 but the most important factor is it works for us.

I’d recommend weighing regularly and using the myfitnesspal app just to get you on a consistent maintenance method. Best of luck and use this thread, this group has been a lifesaver for many of us! 😊

Hi, Beedoo, and welcome to our merry band of Maintainers.
    I’m from New Hampshire, USA. We are in transit now from our summer house one PEI, Canada to NH. That means a full meal in the car at lunch [driving used to make me so hungry. not so much now] and then a restaurant meal at night. We’ll be home tomorrow for dinner and I hate to think what the damage will be on the scales on Wednesday!! Ugh.

PVE said just about everything I would have said about Maintaining. We will be at our 5.5 year mark on Wednesday. I use the Fitbit app to track my steps/milage and to count calories on Slow Days if I’m over my weight limit. My wiggle room is rather narrow: I have a Target Weight but prefer to be 1 pound lower. sometimes I’m there, but it is not sustainable. That’s why it isn’t my Target Weight.

Anyhow, i just had a big meal [including best mashed squash i ever ate!] and no exercise today. Somehow I need thousands of steps before bedtime… Fasting Breakfast tomorrow at the motel buffet, then no lunch in car for me. We’ll try that. The cat was NOT happy during our 7 hour car trip today. Usually she is OK in the car, after a bit of complaining. She looks comfortable now, having her ‘own’ bed in our motel room.

Happy Indigenous Peoples’ Day.

Fasting, have you tried playing really lively music and ‘dancing’ in the car? That’s how I get my steps up on long journeys 😁😁 We live in a HUGE country too.
    We tend to fast on road trips as we aren’t near food. In the past, we couldn’t have imagined travelling without snacks 🤔 P

I’d forgotten how much I enjoy “spaghetti ” (spiralised zucchini/corgette) marinara!
    Onion, garlic, chilli, carrot, parsley, tomato passata, seafood mix (fresh) ..mussels, fish, prawns, calamari
    Cook the above and serve on uncooked, spiralised zucchini. Sprinkle with parmesan. Good with a cheeky little white, if not a fast day!
    Excellent flavour and low carb. P

Thank you so much for your responses! Sounds like I am over thinking things. When I started this WOE I was the same, but found my groove within a few weeks.

Pollypenny I too weigh daily and practice 16:8 every day. The common sense bit I am working on!!

PVE So great to hear your story and the effect this has had on your husbands health. And to have maintained for so long – wow! I have found that I am so much more aware of the impact of certain food types now, what causes bloating, makes me lethargic, etc…usually the ones that are most difficult to say no to! Oh and your courgette marinara sounds divine!

HappyNow you are lucky not to have to count calories! I find that it still helps me to reign myself in otherwise I go off the rails.

Carolannfud I’ve returned to MFP this week and do feel a bit more in control. I struggle with NFDs especially wanting something sweet and need to plan some snacks to help me stay away from the treats in the office.

Fasting_me Travel days can be tricky. How long did you spend at the summer house? Sounds lovely! We are heading over to Ireland on Thursday (we live in London, my husband is Irish and all his family live over there). Even though it is a short distance, it still takes the best part of a day, door to door. I then have 4 days of mother in laws lovely home cooking. My in-laws are healthy eaters and very active so thankfully it’s not like I’ll have cake thrust in my face the whole time (I can resist everything but temptation as Oscar Wilde said!). We have a christening on Sunday so there will be celebratory food then. I intend to enjoy it, try to show some moderation and then deal with the outcome next week. Congrats on reaching the 5.5 year mark – what an achievement!

Thank you all for such a warm welcome!

Hi Beedoo, good to meet you, and apologies for the belated welcome: I’m a few days behind with the forum. I’m also part of the gang, those these days I post less often than some. My H and I started 5:2 in March 2013; I lost 3.5 stone,(49lbs) hitting target weight, in August 2014, and have since lost another 7lbs or so. H got to within 7lbs of his target at the same time, and ha stuck there ever since – mainly us to being in denial about snacking. (Either that, or we have mice in our fridge who can unscrew peanut butt and jam jar lids, cut cheese and slice bread, and aren’t too fussy about leaving the empty jars etc as evidence…). Actually I think he’s a perfectly good weight now – he’s gone from 15 stone to 12stone 8lbs – but he’s still hankering after getting rid of that last half stone.
    We still do 2 fast days a week ( though probably not as strict as before) with one ‘feast day’ (anything goes!) and 4 sensible non fasts. We haven’t eaten white carbs for 40+ years, always complex, whole grain ones, but were eating healthily but too generously, so for us it’s been less about changes in what we eat, and more about how much (though puddings and sweet treats are now definitely a once a week thing, and if I bake, I cut any resulting cake into quarters and freeze them, so that I can get them out on treat days or for guests, without our being ‘forced’ to finish them.
    I weigh most days, and like most on the forum, allow myself a couple of pounds either way – I prefer to be a pound or two under target, to allow ‘wriggle room’. If the numbers get close to the top, I might do an extra fast day, or be stricter on the existing ones, o go back to recording calories on MFP, which can be salutary! For me, the sabotages are sugar, carbs (of all kinds’) and portion size creep. I have to guard against serving us equal portions of whatever I’ve cooked, and remind myself that I weigh less than 2/3 of what H does – that may sound obvious, but in younger days I could have kept up with him mouthful for mouthful and stayed skinny, and it’s not like that any more!
    You sound as if you’re doing absolutely fine. Stay with us, and you’ll get the drift of how much the mutual support – and the laughs! – helps

Hi FFS
    Ditto. I used to eat the same sized portions as Mr P, and remained skinny. Every time I dish out a meal now, I have to concentrate on giving him more.
    We are all very influenced in our eating habits by our companions, too. Just be careful you don’t pick up that little mouse’s snacking! 😉😉P

Well I’m at the end of a fast day. From dropping to a weight that was too low earlier this summer, this week I’m over my trigger weight! How did that happen?! Oh yes, that’s right, I got complacent because I was really light 🐖🐖🐖🐖 😀

It happens to the best of us Happy 🐷🐖🐷

Should we institute a group ‘get back in shape for winter’ challenge? I could certainly do with it! Can’t wait to make it an Advent one this year – I have two mini-breaks coming up before then, and since one is in Bruges (beer and chocolate?) I definitely need to be well within wriggle room before then. You’re right, P – that mouse is infectious: is it time for some moral support?

Considering it’s spring here, Fast, that would give me a long lead time to winter!
    I’m more concerned about swimwear and slinky dresses!!!😉 P

Ok, apologies – I’m NH-centric and should learn to think globally – sorry! But you get my point? You’re thinking swimwear and slinky dresses; I’m considering the damage I could do by covering a multitude of ‘poor choices’ in big jumpers, rather than changing them. )though the days here seem to be alternating between June and November, weather wise – an absolute cracker today. ). Whatever our season, we could probably all do with a little help from our friends

We are having the same! Lovely sunny spring day yesterday. Miserable and cloudy today. Disappointing for my birthday 😐
    At least you can cover the extras with jumpers in winter. A bit harder in summer. 🙄

Happy birthday – and many more! I wish you a happy, healthy, tasty feast.

And that’s precisely what worries me: being able to cover the extra pounds in jumpers makes it all too easy to deny them – until the revealing moment of taking them off again! So…better do something about them before the jumpers go on!

Thanks Fast.
    The reveal issue is mine now 🙄 I guess it’s lucky the hot weather is very late this year. P

Oh, belated birthday wishes, PVE! Today, I’m not envy your spring weather, as we have a forecast for a glorious day. Strangely, just one day rather than a spell! 🤔. No wonder we’re obsessed with the weather in Britain.

We are off for a walk – in the zoo! Chester Zoo is enornmous now, we didn’t manage it all with the boys, so we will become members, then it’s a good place to go from regular walks.

Happy, your post echoed my experience this summer, under wriggle room and deliberately eating more became a habit.

Happy Birthday P! They come round quick don’t they?! 😁

Polly, yes, we’ve got summer forecast here again for one day only. I’m working sadly, but at home, so will get to enjoy some of it.

I’ve never been to Chester Zoo, but really should. Have a great day.

Well yesterday’s fast was a good one, and I’m a kg lighter on the scales this morning (and under trigger 😁). Now I just to keep mindful and stop trying to feed myself up!

FFS, you need to get some fitted woollies/ layer up with thin layers rather than baggy slouchy jumpers, fewer places to hide that way… No sewing yourself into your clothes for winter!

Hi Happy. Congratulations – enjoy your sunny day.
    I’ve been dressing in thin layers ever since the menopause did apparently permanent damage to my thermostat – easier to take off in public than one big jumper! Every cloud…

Oh FFS, I’m just heading that way myself! Coming up towards 50 and just had my first irregular period in 35 years. Mind you, I have had night sweats and flushes since my 30s – and actually far fewer since I started 5:2 and reduced simple carbs and added sugars!

Picking up on a conversation we had a while ago about the use of morbidly obese models… I see there is a piece on the BBC today about an advert being banned for using an underweight model.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45808500

The online fashion retailer is reported as saying that the model is a UK size 8 with BMI 18.8.

The Advertising Standards Authority which banned the ads apparently commented that specific poses “drew attention to her slimness”, such as stretched arms which “emphasised their slimness and length” and a scene in which her rib cage was clearly visible, concluding that in those scenes the model appeared unhealthily underweight and the ads were therefore irresponsible.

As someone who is now UK size 8, I’m not sure how to think about this!

I would have thought that if in the remainder of the ad the model looked merely slim then, in the context of the whole ad, a shot where you can see her ribs/ her arms look a bit scrawny isn’t too worrisome? I can clearly see my rib cage, and if I was more toned then it would be more pronounced!

Moreover,, if you can’t feature a model at the lower end of the BMI scale, then all ads using obese models should similarly be banned since they would always appear “unhealthily overweight” and it would therefore be irresponsible to promote those images as something to aspire to?

Or am I missing something?!

Hi Happy – I’m with you. I’m also a healthy size 8; I’ve just followed the link to see the ad, and while she is perhaps a tad on the skinny side, her body actually looks rather like mine these days – minus the burst balloon effect on the tummy, of course. Relevant postscript to my run-in with my GP: I’ve just returned from a visit to the health practice nurse, for asthma check and vitamin b12 jab; first thing she said was ‘do you mind if I measure your height and weigh you?’
    NEVER done that before – she was clearly under orders! Fortunately I was wearing trainers, heavy denim dungarees and a waist belt contains my phone, all of which I kept on: these together with the extra couple of pounds I’ve gained and am currently trying to shift, cake to an extra 2kg on the scales, so she was happy. But when I was 4stone overweight and my BP was dangerously high, no-one batted an eyelid – and meanwhile, my friends T2 diabetic husband, also 4-5 stone overweight and refusing to stop stuffing his face with white carbs and sugar, has lost sensation in his feet – but while he is repeatedly advised to ‘lose a bit of weight, if you can’, nobody is really helping him to overcome his addictions. What gives??

You can’t fat shame but it is OK to thin shame!?

Yep – got it!

That was exactly my point when we discussed this before. I am not a believer in thinking it is healthy for people to be “happy in the own bodies”, when they are not healthy. There are far too many attacks on people with bones showing…frankly, the way humans were through much of history and certainly when I was young.
    I have a few large friends, who dress flamboyantly and are generally accepted as being “gorgeous big girls”, yet they need disability stickers on their cars, cannot wall upstairs and have developed degenerative, lifestyle diseases. They eat and drink large quantities and tell anyone that will listen that they “love food”! Der!!
    Thanks for the good wishes, girls. I had a great social day. No breakfast, no snacking, but 2 lovely meals with friends and family. Simple, social joy, without going over the top. P

Hi P,

This is not the first time the Ad Standards Authority has received complaints about overly thin models. Some that I’ve seen have involved still photos in magazine ads where I’ve got to admit the models did look malnourished and emaciated. Clearly not OK. But what surprised me in this case was the fact that the complaint upheld related only to some specific poses/ scenes in a video ad. The model was deemed generally OK, but her rib cage was too prominent. It’s not thin shaming, it’s ribcage shaming!

I was really excited when I dropped back to my normal healthy weight and could see my ribs, hip bones and collarbone sticking out! It reminded me of my younger self!!!

Hi ladies, have to jump in to wish you a belated birthday cheer, P, sneaking a few minutes at my lunch break at work. FD here, hope it can make some inroads on the increase that I have achieved over the last month of tripping and eating 🙁

Welcome, Beedoo. You will find that maintenance is not a simple thing, for some of us at least. I still do two FDs a week, and my diet since starting (just clicked over the five-year mark) has changed considerable, especially regarding carbohydrates, and now eating two meals a day.

Cheers all.

Hi all and thank you Barata for the welcome. Have just been reading the recent posts about the banned ad. It’s fine to use overweight people in all sorts of adverts but if you were to swap every single one of those for a person with an 18.8 BMI there’s be uproar.
    I’ve been a bit quiet since my last post as I’ve had a few comments that have made me question whether I’ve lost too much weight. I really do not think I have. For the first time in years I’m actually happy with my weight and body shape. I had myself weighed and measured yesterday on one of those machines that then gives you a print out. I’m 5ft 2 and a half (it all counts at this height!). This morning I weigh 48.7kg (just under maintenance range) and my BMI is 19.3. Yes I’m slim but I still have a muffin top so not exactly sporting the ribcage look. I had a beauty appointments yesterday and the lady who’ve I’ve not seen in a few months told me I’d lost a lot of weight and that I looked better before. Then I went out to reception to pay and the normally lovely receptionist said I’d list a lot of weight and looked like a little girl. I spoke to my husband when I got home and he assured me that I look great. He loves that I’m happy in the WOE (he’s had to deal with how unhappy I’ve been with my weight for years). I wish the comments didn’t bother me but they do. I will have to come up with a comeback. I just don’t understand how it’s ok to comment like that to someone slim or skinny but nothing can be said to someone killing themselves with being overweight? Apologies for any typos.

All written in a rush as taxi for airport arriving shortly.

Going to see husbands family for a few days. They are a lovely bunch and I just hope I don’t hear any more comments.

Two words, beedoo, which we maintainers all know: ‘jealousy’ and ‘sabotage’! You sound fine, so the third word is ‘comgratulations’. Have a good trip

Beedoo,

I’m afraid you probably do need to steel yourself for further comments. As you say, when you’re thin people quite happily give you their opinion but very few people would say you’ve gained a lot of weight/ let yourself go, etc!

Don’t let people get you down. In terms of responding, you could fire off some statistics about the weight of the nation/ the obesity crisis, tell them you’re just doing your bit to reduce overconsumption for the sake of the planet, or challenge them directly as to why they think it’s acceptable to make such very personal comments/ criticize your choices (perhaps wait til they are shovelling cake down 😁) or why they think you’re too slim (is it just because overweight and obese have been normalised now?). Or just smile serenely and let comments wash over you!

P,

I was delighted to see the outline of my hip bones and ribcage reappear from under my blubber too!

Beedoo, I think I manage just half an inch more than you if I stand up really straight. I’m very happy at BMI 22. I have high cheek bones, which mean that I can look gaunt very easily. As my weight was creeping up, people would say I didn’t need to lose weight. I agree with FFS, that some if the comments you are getting are from jealousy.

I like my collar bones showing and love my hip bones.. don’t think I’ll ever get rid of my flabby tum after two kids and a hysterectomy, though. My waist measure 29 ins, so I’m happy.

Need a fast day today. We took a picnic to the zoo, a pasty and some Pringles, with an apple, then we had a Marks Indian dinner, no rice but a naan. Baked aubergine today.

Happy birthday Purple!

A while ago now someone recommended a book (maybe it was FFS?), the name of which I can’t remember, but it was about the development of our food tastes and that they can start as early as in the womb. The book also covered the part memory and emotions play in our food choices.

So, yesterday I made myself some porridge for breakfast using quinoa flakes, which I’ve never used before. When I opened the microwave door after cooking them, the bowl of porridge looked exactly like the porridge my mum used to make for us – my heart literally skipped a beat and I went all warm and fuzzy! (My mum died 7 years ago).

I was so surprised by the effect that porridge had on me and my reaction and thought the experience just reinforces what we all know, that there’s more to this eating than just putting food in our mouths!

Not exactly about maintaining, but then again maybe it is 😄

Carol, what a lovely story, and a beautiful memory of your mum. I’m sorry she’s gone, but you’re also a very blessed woman to have such warm memories.
    I was indeed the person who recommended the book: it was ‘First Bite: how we learn to eat’ by Bee Wilson – and I’m appreciating it afresh as I watch my 15 month old great granddaughter exploring food (her absolute favourites are blueberries, strawberries, broccoli (!) and avocado, all shoved in in handfuls, and she doesn’t yet know what sugar is!). Bee has just written a second volume: ‘The way we eat now’, which is on my ‘beg, borrow or buy’ list.
    Enjoy your porridge!

Happy Birthday, P.
    Courage, BeeDoo. You must do what makes YOU feel healthy. My BMI is 18.5 but if I tell anyone that, they worry about me. So I don’t. My ODH knows and did ask if that was healthy, so I told him that our GP thinks I’m one of the healthiest people she knows. And that settled that. But most people wouldn’t understand that this is not unhealthy for me. Stick to your guns.

Aren’t we all happy with our ‘bones sticking out’! lol
    Carolann, that’s why some people can’t lose weight — the Emotional Eating gets them every time. But what a treat to have a food that reminds you of your childhood. Sigh 🙂

Fasting today: Scrambled Eggs with Feta cheese this morning. Pork and Mushroom Vindaloo for dinner. never made the latter before but had 3 recipes to cross-reference. Hope I got it right. Tasted a bit of vinegar and not as spicy as I’d hoped. What’s it supposed to taste like???

Have a good weekend.

Mmmmm, seems I’ve started the creep also 😕. For the past 4 weeks I’ve been sitting 500g above where I usually am. Always over first trigger point at weigh-in on FD and sometimes over second trigger. All week I’m just hovering around first trigger point. I thought maybe I was having a bit more calories for my FD meal than I should and so was very strict with that this week but hasn’t made a difference. The only change I have noticed is I’m quite hungry the day after FD whereas in the past I wasn’t.

I can’t log on to myfitnesspal anymore, haven’t been on there for a while and my password isn’t working, blah blah blah, so means I’ve lost all my data which is a bummer, as I would like to check if I am creeping unintentionally calorie wise.

Do you think that five year failure mark has credibility, seeing as a few of us at that point are reporting similar changes?

I hope not, Carol. I put it down to boredom. There is only so long one can be super vigilant, and the reality is, we have to be to maintain our low healthy weight indefinitely.
    I guess this explains yoyo dieting…something I’ve never had to do. Now I understand that it is much easier to loose a lot of weight quickly, compared with tweaking a kilo or so long term.
    P

That makes sense Purple. I would def say my passion/motivation has waned.

Don’t worry, when we’ve added another 10kg, we KNOW how to lose it again!! 😉😉😉

Carol,

Re: passion and motivation. I’ve found mine has ebbed and flowed over time. But never so much that I’ve allowed myself to gain the weight back. I’ve got a new wardrobe in smaller sizes to begin with…!

I’m back at my upper trigger weight again. No magic involved, just food! I had a period of several weeks where stress and being too busy to overeat kept my weight low. My overall calorie intake was down, which meant that poor food choices could be accommodated/ absorbed without showing on the scales. Now I’m less stressed and less busy, and eating more overall, and finding that the food choices and portion sizes matter again!

Maintenance is yoyoing in a narrow range, constantly gaining and losing the same couple of kilos.

P,

I think I’d rather keep my eye on the ball than re-gain 10kg! I know how to lose 1kg!

Me too, but staying in that narrow range is the trick, isn’t it? 😉

Oh-oh! This is timely. I’m 1/4 lb over top range today. I think it’s down to complacency as I had my weekly ice cream at the cinema, then some chocolate later. That chocolate was completely unaccounted for sd I’d meant to have two! Funny how I found I’d eaten 7.

I’ve also notice that we’ve gone into ruts with our meals. We both need a bit of discipline. I love being slim. One of my favourite comments was when my sister called my ‘little bum’! 😁. What a change.

Definitely do not want to put weight on.

Pol. 🙋🏼

Some days I just seem to have the munchies [and no, I’m not smoking pot!]. And then the scales show an increase so I redouble the effort. And some days I think my weight will have gone up but it hasn’t! Currently where I want to be and hoping to keep it there.

The colorful leaves are falling and we are going for a walk.

Happy, you’re right it is a narrow range we fluctuate between. Really I don’t know why I read so much into it, as you say fastingme there is no definite pattern to the weight yo yoing. Keeping my eye on the ball! ⚽️🏈🎾

Polly (little bum!),

I love being slim too 😊, although I was told recently that I’m just skin and bone!!

Fasting_me,

You aren’t in Canada are you?! 🌬

I’ve fasted today, although I had to have a handful of nuts at 4pm to see me through. Hopefully I can get away from my trigger weight and back into a wriggle room place!

Happy, I’m in New Hampshire, USA.
    So nice to have a visible skeleton! My sons hug me and say ‘You are too thin.’ but I think I’m just right.
    Fasting tomorrow.

Anyone looking into Michael’s Clever Guts? Haven’t seen the TV show, but have looked at various screens on the website. Very interesting. Worth considering, although as a Faster, I eat lots of veg and do a quasi-Mediterranean diet. Haven’t dropped the carbs yet. Still eat cookies and ice cream. incorrigible.

Fasting_me,

Yes, I knew you were in the states! It was a reference to Canada’s stance on marijuana 😁

I got the Clever Guts book on Kindle last year, interesting reading. I should probably revisit it for food ideas, but like you my diet is pretty good already. And I have by and large dropped refined cwrbs (occasional and then reduced consumption only), very little to no added sugar most weeks, and I can’t remember when I last ate ice-cream 😇

Morning, up early today for a trip to Ironbridge Gorge and its museums with U3A. I eas very strict with myself yesterday, so hopefully I’m in range. One thing I do know is that I won be tempted to have a cake with coffee today. Completely off those.

Haven’t seen Clever Guts, but I’ve always had a Mediterranean diet – just that quantities were too big!

On looking too thin, I thought I was the bee’s knees when I was 50 and size 8. I am appalled when look at photos now. And the reaction of a young colleague looking at old photos of the department was ‘Skeletor!

Trees looking beautiful here, too. I do prefer the fresh spring green, though, with their promise of warmth.

Confession: cannot give up ice cream! Saturday night treat and usually when we go to the cinema. One scoop!

Viewing 50 posts - 10,451 through 10,500 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.