The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,251 through 10,300 (of 11,673 total)

• No more rain here, please! We have had so much this year, floods in various places around the country, slips with roads closed, massive infrastructure damage. Someone turn off the tap!

Of the three of us from the SH, fasting, I am the only one at home for the winter. Temperatures can be from 10 – 15 during the day, and no snow (or almost unheard of) in our part of the country.

Hi All,

The last few weeks have been too busy, and stressful, and I haven’t really had time to even read the thread let alone post.

No news here, except being stupidly busy and stressed has made weight maintenance difficult – I have been sitting in the low 57s (kg) for a few weeks now and am consciouly trying to eat myself back up a bit! I did drop briefly to 56.8, at which point I began to wonder if I was ill!

Hi Happy, had noticed your absence and assumed other more important issues were taking up your time. Hope matters are starting to improve.

You and I are similar height and weight and I have found lately I can quite easily slip under 58 but it’s usually only temporary. But if you’re not indulging at all I’d say it’s quite possible to maintain in the 57’s. Getting down to 56 is a bit low though! Everything will balance out again in time I’m sure.

Best wishes.

How strange, I’m going under by bottom wriggle room all the time. Maybe it’s just summer,weather.

Well Pol it is definitely easier to maintain in summer, when we have good weather! I have maintained without fasting for weeks at a time in summers gone, but not lost so much without trying.

You’re right Carolann that the 57s and 58s are OK for our height, but below 57.2 (under 9 stone in old money!) just doesn’t sound right.

Things will get back to normal in the next couple of weeks. I’ve recently found myself in the role of a carer, only temporarily for a few weeks, but it’s been hard work mentally and physically, and on top of full-time work and everything associated with house and greenhouses and large garden with lawns and vegetables, animals, etc. I’m looking forward to getting my life back.
    I definitely wouldn’t want to be a full time carer!

Oh, dear, Happy, it is hard work caring. Definitely agree that I wouldn’t want to do it for long. This morning I’m going to see a guy with dementia. He’s had to into a care home, only 69, and his wife still looks grey with exhaustion and tension. She know I’ve done the Dementia friend training, do asked me if I could visit to give her a break – their only son lives in Brussels.

I was wondering what your 57 Kilos equated to. 9 st, 126lbs is definitely my bottom wriggle room, although I think I’m shorter than you and Carol. 5’3″. But I have such a thin face, anymore loss and I look awful. High cheek bones were great when I was young, not now I’m an old bird. πŸ˜•

Hi Pol,

I have thought about doing the dementia friend training, and registering with Age Concern’s befriending Service, but I definitely know now that I’d stretch myself too thin. I’ve been caring for physical disability/ injury, which in all cases are time-limited with full recovery expected, and so have an end in sight πŸ˜€ I can sympathise with your friend needing a break, caring has been quite lonely and you can feel trapped and isolated, your own life on hold and slipping by unlived.

Yes, I’m 5’7. At 9 stone I have a very flat stomach (nice!) but my chest risks becoming non-existent! While I don’t want a large chest to impede me, I do want a little something (and not just an empty padded bra!) up top.

Happy, I’m glad there will be a light at the end of your caring tunnel. I’m sure you are doing a good job as a carer, but be sure to take care of yourself too.

Polly, as for your friend with the husband in the Home, she not only has to get herself healthy again after all the years of care for her husband, but now the full brunt of running the household and keeping up with maintenance and bill-paying falls to her alone. When being a care-giver, that can be put aside and then it becomes a huge weight at once. You are a good friend to her.

I am at last at what I call my ‘Summer Weight’, not simply because we are now at our vacation house. Was at a high plateau in past 2 weeks, then it all dropped off. No explanation, but I’ll take it.
    Happy weekend, All.

Wise words, fasting. The wife is more an acquaintance than a friend, I think she asked me as I taught their son and, as another retired teacher, could connect with her husband. She is grey with exhaustion.

We all seem o be having the same summer weight – on our light side. It’s great, although one of my favourite pairs of trousers looks baggy and horrible on me now. I’d need an 8, 4 in American sizes.

Lovely aubergine parmigiana leftovers for dinner. Pre 5:2 we’d have eaten the dishful in one go!

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

I haven’t joined you skinny minnies, but from the sound of it, I’ll need the padding when I get home to a particularly cold winter!
    It’s all summer clothes and avoiding eaying too often over here though. P

I’m here in Canada with no scales, def indulging more than normal, food and alcohol included. Trying to maintain with 2 meals a day when I can and walking as much as possible. So scared I’m. It going to fit into my MOG dress😳😬

You can always fast the day before Carol πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒP

β€˜ not going to fit’

Neither here, P and Polly. I am still struggling with the two – three kgs that have crept on over the last year or two. And considering what I don’t eat nowadays, it’s most disappointing. Strangely, there has been no diminution in the size of bras that I wear now from before I started my 5:2 journey! I bought new ones yesterday.

Beautiful mild winter’s day here, but custard and showers due later πŸ™

Custard and showers Barata lol!

Our basic body shapes don’t change. I was a pear pre 5:2 and still a pear albeit a skinnier pear! I didn’t drop a cup size in bras but did drop 2 sizes in width if that is the correct t wording ie went from 14D to 10D.

Enjoy those boobs Barata!πŸ˜„πŸ‘™

Purple, I may have to do back to back fast lol

Yes, I am grateful (as is OH! πŸ™‚ ) for the retained shape up top, Carol. Showers and custard have not eventuated, so I had a time with the worm farm, emptying the castings for the veggie garden and making room for more scraps.

Lucky you, B. I suffer from Poll’s problem … all padded bra, no filling 🀨

My shape has changed. Pre-kids, ie 50 years ago, I was size 12 bottom, size 10 top – this was when I weighed around 116lbs and before sizes grew along with the average body size. Now I’m size 12 top, 34C and size 10 bottom.

I think the best thing about 5:2 is that it’s not a diet, but way of life. We’re out for lunch today but no need to make a show of dieting.

How long to the wedding now, Carol? It’s very exciting. I think Barat is the only one left in the Southern Hemisphere!

Well your shape change is interesting Polly.

16 days til wedding, but 9 days til we depart for wedding venue in BC. The most excited is my nearly 10 years old grandson – he’s counting the days til they come. Part of the excitement is the fact he gets 2 birthdays – he leaves Australia on his birthday and arrives in Canada on his birthday! πŸŽ‚πŸŽ‚

Oh, that’s brilliant! And presumably the whole extended family to make a fuss of him.

Carol, what is the wildfire prediction for the wedding venue? I’ve been concerned about the fires in BC and hope all will go well. What a treat for your grandson, especially going to a new continent and crossing the Date Line AND 2 birthdays!
    Barata, you sure have strange weather! Is ‘custard’ like Dr. Seuss’ “Obleck”? does it fall from the sky at dessert time? Does it come in different flavors? Sorry. couldn’t resist.
    Pol, I had to bin a pair of trousers recently. The size was right, but the cut made them look like Clown Pants. The store showed me another line which is cut slimmer and I’m much happier. [not the bin, actually, but the Good Will Store] My shape is more the hour-glass and although I had only 9 pounds to lose, I dropped 2″ from my waist and 2″ from my hips. Bust pretty much the same. But went for a proper bra-fitting and discovered I was measuring wrongly: went from 34B to 32C!

Hot here in the Maritimes, although the breeze is constant and the humidity is fairly low. So glad the cottage has AC from our geothermal system. Fasting tomorrow!

Hi fastingme, we’ve heard about the fires and been told not to worry as they have fires in that area every summer – hope they’re right telling us not to worry! 😬 I also understand although they say in the media the fires are in Kelowna, they’re actually in an area away from the town.

I’m on a FD tomorrow too. My first proper FD in 2 weeks! First time I’ve missed a fast since starting the program but am worried about this MOG outfit!

A good well fitted bra does wonders for the silhouette! πŸ˜„

Carol,

I’m sure you’ll be fine and look stunning in your MOG dress! You can’t have done that much damage to the scales, and you’ve still got time to repair a bit of damage….still, perhaps not a bad idea to use your fear to rein in any excesses before they become habit!

Carol, have you got one of those body shaper things? They do give a good smooth line. I’m sure you will look lovely and have a great day.

I missed the custard and showers, Barata. πŸ€”

I don’t Barata, but I have packed what I call my big girl panties (think Bridget Jones lol).

Happy, yes, I was conscious of not getting out of the habit and funnily quite missed my fast last week. There’s something very cleansing about it.

FD accomplished quite easily apart from hunger at about 2:30pm where I allowed myself the luxury of a coffee.

Did I mention we are helping son and DIL move house while we are here πŸ˜³πŸ˜¬πŸ™„πŸ˜€

Feel so much better today!

When I was MOG, the dress was not form-fitting — it was more of a gauze shift over a satin slip, capped off with a pashmina. And I made sure that I went for a bra fitting to get a better ‘bustenhalter’ as the Germans would say. [the clerk at the dress shop TOLD me that I needed a better bra!] Pol, the brand name here is ‘Spanx’ and a good friend wore that under her dress as MOG.

Carol, glad your Fast went well! Way to go. Yes, I can picture the Big Girl Panties! πŸ™‚ Keep Fasting, if only for peace of mind. At least you are getting exercise from helping to move house.

For yesterday’s Fast, we ate a “Hangtown Bake” at breakfast, based on the famous Gold-Rush Era meal. It contains oysters and bacon. it was yummy and even my ODH liked it a lot — he professes not to like seafood at breakfast, but he’s coming around. At dinner we had friends over who are on Weight Watchers. Served Hake Chowder with artisan bread. They brought a salad of greens and fresh berries, served without a dressing — never thought that would work so well! Chocolate-covered strawberries rounded out the meal. I registered a weight loss of 0.8 pounds today.

I had an empire line dress as MOG, pure silk with a matching stole. Don’t know whether to be sad that’s too big for me now or not. πŸ˜„. We have Spanx here, too. I bought mine from Marks & Spencer. Own label, but did the job.

I love your different names for meals and dishes, fasting.

I wore a strappy ’40s style, Laura Ashley, summery frock for my son’s wedding. Luckily, I was able to take it in post 5:2, so still wear it.
    About to leave the stinking heat of London for freezing old home. It will be a shock! Fasting again Monday πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰P

Travel safely, P. πŸ™‚

We didn’t get invited to our younger son’s wedding – a great relief, as who wants to fly to London in January at short notice? We caught up with them the following year, on our planned trip.

Thanks B. I did come over in January with only 2 days notice, a few years ago for a funeral, and found it so much easier to visit all the big ticket places as there were no crowds…unlike this time!!!!!! Up early, and bags packed. P

Travel safely P!

Are you flying straight back? No long stopovers?

I can’t believe you’re going! It’s flown by. You’ll be pleased to get home for a rest though, you’ve been so busy πŸ˜€

Yes. Yes and yes. 😁

Bon voyage, PVE. Which would you rather have: stifling or freezing?

Gosh, we think it is far away that one son lives in Chicago [1000 miles] and the other lives in Oakland [3000 miles] but your children are half a world away! Guess visiting them is even more special. We go to visit each son once a year, and they come for Christmas.

So much fun to hear what you each wore as MOG! You certainly didn’t wear what seems in the US to be the standard ‘uniform.’ That was the first thing the clerk showed me when I told her I was to be MOG: a champagne-colored sheath dress with matching jacket. I told her, “I don’t want to LOOK LIKE the MOG!” She understood instantly and showed me the dress I bought.
    Carolann, describe your attire, please.

Still hot here [an official ‘heat advisory’ in effect] in the Maritimes, and no rain all month. Ocean has warmed up to 20C, so we will have to go to the beach! Guests arrive today. I was up past midnight cleaning and cooking — and saying ‘never again.’ I like guests, but next year I will simplify the menu. At least the house is clean now.

I think there are plenty of us in Australia who have children living half a world away fastingme!

My MOG outfit – firstly I should mention I am very practical so wanted something I at least had some slight hope of wearing again! I had to purchase my outfit as soon as I heard about the wedding as I needed to buy ‘in season’ . Consequently I bought in our summer sales a long coral guipure (?spelling) lace dress, very fitting, slight flare at the hem which is at my ankles, with a nude coloured underlay that goes just past the knee. The only problem was it was sleeveless and so I looked , unsuccessfully, for a cream jacket to match a cream hat I already had. In desperation I ended up buying the perfect jacket at a second hand shop – $30 lol! Ive seen the MOB outfit and it’s a lot ‘fancier’ than mine. I’m pretty understated.

Moving just about killed us! We both have bad backs today. It was a mammoth effort as the truck had to be returned the day it was hired. By the time they got the key to the house it was probably 2pm by the time we started and 11pm by the time we finished.

You’d be used to the amazing houses I guess fastingme but it still blows me away what you can buy in Canada/US compared to what we can buy at home for the same price. You get a lot more for your $. It’s a stunning house.

That sounds gorgeous, Carol. I found the same as Fasting when son was marrying. I went shopping with his future mother-in-law, found nothing. She ended up with some terribly ageing long dress and jacket in a non-descript colour. When he married the second time, same sort of trousers and long jacket for the mil.

I went for colour – forest green then teal.

Carolann, you will be beautiful at the wedding! I have worn my MOG dress [blues, greens, purples a la Monet’s garden] several times in the past 5 years, although I do save it for dressy occasions. Our son’s wedding date was one day ahead of ours [tho 38 years apart!!], so I can wear the dress when we go out to celebrate our anniversary.

how interesting about house prices in US/Can vs Australia. Why so expensive down your way — lumber costs? labour costs?

Had to look up ‘guipure’ lace. Yes, you spelled correctly.

Fasting today: Welsh ScrOmelette [Red Dragon Cheese + leeks] at breakfast. Strawberry-chicken- Spinach Salad for dinner. House guests went out for lunch.

Your dress sounds gorgeous Carol. It akways seems dreadful to spend a fortune on an outfit you won’t wear again. Well done! I hope your sore muscles settle soon after all that moving. Amazing how easy it is to pull thrm “at our age” πŸ˜‰

Fast, Australians believe in paying living wages to workers, so the cost of living, and the standard, is very high. We have an egalitarian society, with an excellent supportive unionionist history. Unfortunately, in recent years, the disparity in salaries between top executives and employees has been following the greedy US model, skewing our once fair pay system. House prices have “gone through the roof” in the past 15 years due to many factors, including high investment demand from overseas.
    A fair, caring society, with everyone getting a piece of the pie, may result in higher prices, but also means everyone can reap the rewards.
    Back to reality this morning. Plenty of washing and sorting to do. P 😊

Welcome back, P. It was lonely as the only representative of the SH on the thread!

Our society is similar, except that the unions have been decimated over the last decades so our incomes are considerably less. Hence the many Kiwis making their home in Australia. Living wages are a conversation that is only just beginning.

We’ll stick together B. Carol can carry the Southern Cross flag for us “up north”. P 😊😊

Deal. I hope your trip was fabulous. You have inspired me to suggest to my brother in London that a week in a cottage together in Devon or Cornwall would be a great addition to a holiday we are considering in a couple of years. πŸ™‚

House prices are ridiculous in the U.K. now, but unfortunately it’s nothing to do with fair/ living wages. The word ‘union’ has become a dirty word in many circles, thanks to Thatcher and years of a powerful right-wing press, Murdoch led, of course. Now we’ve got the farce of Brexit to contend with! 😑

Anyway, back to maintenance before we are chastised again – I can’t remember who admonished us, though. Still on low wriggle room weight. Last month, when we had the boys here, I missed poetry group and the decision to have lunch only on special occasions: I felt cheated! The p,ace we meet actually does some interesting vegetarian meals.

A free day today, so we think a little trip to the coast is in order.

Barata, why not a cottage in North Wales? πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

I’d do Cornwall again in a heartbeat, B!

Poll, this thread has been a chatline for successful fasters since its inception. In fact we changed the name to reflect that. Anyone who doesn’t want to be part of the to and fro of supportive maintenance chatter (and that definitely includes non food talk!) can dabble in another thread.
    The Maintenance Chatbox is just that! A place for long term maintenance folk to chat! May it long be so! ☺☺P

Could be an option, Polly! Maybe both?! We did a week on a narrow boat on the Llangollen Canal back in the time we lived in the UK (about 2001?). Great memories – OH and his brother did the driving, domestic SIL the cooking when we didn’t eat at a handy pub, and I enjoyed the voyage (and attended to the locks). Subsequently I have traced my ggg… grandparents to just out of Ruthin, and called in when we were there for out holiday in 2013. Also have a ggggrandfather from SW Wales who ended up a master mariner.

Polly- are you the very same Polly that used to be in another forum (WLF)? Whether you are or not it’s great that you are now on maintenance on 5:2. I have only just completed week 2, with 10 kg to lose.

Well done. Keep it up CateAus 😊P

Barata, we could be ‘belonging’, in the South Walian term! 🀣

Purple, don’t you remember someone telling us off for taking politics? I’m always happy to do so, feeling strongly about many things – too many I suppose!

Cate, I don’t recognise that forum. I do post on moneysavingexpert. Good luck with your 5:2. Easy once you’re into it, as it’s not a diet but a new attitude to food.

Yep. That was my point, Poll. The very cheek of an interloper telling US what to say on this thread! ☺☺

The other Polly lived on the Welsh Borders & also wrote stories. I got all excited when I thought it might be you. Oh, well. Thanks for the good wishes!

Cate, that’s a coincidence! πŸ˜„ what does WLF stand for?

Viewing 50 posts - 10,251 through 10,300 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.