The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,151 through 10,200 (of 11,673 total)

• Hello again, all you Maintainers.
    We were off in the Azores for the first 10 days of May and enjoyed it very much. If you’ve never been and you live in the UK, I recommend it. From the UK it is relatively easy to get there. Everyone from anywhere would enjoy it too, but those of you from the Southern Hemisphere might find it a bit of a trek. We really enjoyed eating the grilled limpets {‘lampas’]

Now we are in PEI, Canada opening our summer cottage. It is lobster season now and last night we had fresh lobster right off the boat, along with curried mussels and oysters for starters. We love seafood and this is the place for it.
    Weight remaining steady-ish, with little ups and then some downs.

Happy, so true about how the clothes fit all the time these days. Don’t you love it?! Next time I shop, I’m going to try a smaller size in slacks and see if they fit without looking silly or over-stuffed.

PVE, it is a cold spring here, too, so we will enjoy our pizza in front of the fire tonight.

Carolan, there might be frost tonight and the Shad Bush [Services] haven’t even bloomed yet.

Happy Saturday/Sunday.

Lobster sounds brilliant fastingme! Going to Kelowna, BC in August for our sons wedding. We had to make menu choices and I chose Arctic Char – no idea what it is, but assume fish of some sort!

Really struggling with my FD today – last week was really hard also. Maybe it’s the onset of the colder weather. I really felt tempted to chuck the whole 5:2 thing in today but thankfully dismissed that idea within seconds. What does the research say – five years is the maximum time people have maintained? I’m just over my 4 year anniversary.

Oh well, whinge over ๐Ÿ˜Š

Enjoy your holiday fastingme! We go over in July.

A wedding and a mystery dish…intriguing Carol.
    I’d love to visit PEI some day, Fasting. Maybe …๐Ÿ˜Š
    I’m 5 years into this wol and still have tough fasts some days, Carol. I was REALLY hungry by 6:30 tonight, but made it…and gobbled my fish and veg.
    My weight is up again, despite fasts and mindful eating. I’m hoping it’s just seasonal and not, as Jason Fung says, my body fighting back to regain those lost kilos by lowering my metabolism. Time will tell! P

Hello, everyone! Fastingme is off on holiday, we are just back from our tour if The Balkans. I was apprehensive about the scales this morning but Iโ€™ve not done too badly with just 20ozs over top wriggle room. OH, however, has a gut thatโ€™s straining his shirt buttons and looks damn awful! He just cannot resist having beer when having a lunch break or evening meal. And it wasnโ€™t that hot, either. 25-27 most days, so perfect.

Back on regular FD patterns until he is back to that 15st that he reached before. Will have a catch-up on posts later.

Ps. We were astounded by the beauty of both Bulgaria and Romania, as well as intrigued by its history.

Welcome home Polly.
    I just saw a snippet on the tv news about the increasing number of Thai monks who are growing obese, despite their regular fasts. And the reason? The donated foods they receive these days are no longer the tradional fresh veg but processed foods and sugary drinks! P

I love the sound of Bulgaria and Romania, Polly. Hope to visit there one of these days. Excellent result with the weight!

Hopefully seasonal Purple, surely weight gain would have come on by now if it was adjusting your metabolism.

Feel sorry for those poor monks – don’t have a lot of input into what they’re given do they!

Looking forward to tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜Š. Made a fresh batch of muesli and have my berries thawing out ๐Ÿ˜„

I hope you’re right, Carol, I’d hate to live on just water and Miso ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

We all seem to have these fluctuations at various times Purple, with no apparent rhyme or reason. Your body seems to work it out in the end. I think maybe we go into a bit of a panic fearing it’s going to be a permanent change rather than a temporary one. We’ve all worked so jolly hard to get to where we are!

Don’t think you’ll be livng on miso ๐Ÿ˜‚

Carolann, Arctic Char is a member of the salmon family of fish. Looks the same, with the pink flesh, and tastes similar too.

Not looking forward to the scales tomorrow as we have not Fasted since last Thursday. Since then, a dinner out at a favorite restaurant, the Mussels/Oysters/Lobster feed with friends, and dinner last night with ODH’s brother and his wife. All very pleasant, mind you, but lots of time in the car and lots of food can make a mess of the diet… Miso Soup could be in the future.

Polly, your trip to Balkans sounds delightful. How was the food?

Hi, Fasting-me. The food was tradition, so heavy on cream and potatoes. The tour manager did ensure that I had something vegetarian, but it it wasnโ€™t exciting. There were some fabulous breakfasts, though. I could have ate for an hour! This is from someone who never eats breakfast!

Sticking to Mimiโ€™s recipes at the moment.

Pol. ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ

We travelled for much of the day today, so took the opportunity to squeeze in an extra cheeky little fast! It was finished off with steamed veg and salmon, watching the full moon rise over the ocean. Almost worth the 24 hour fast ๐Ÿ˜‰P

Fasting today. Robin Hood Egg for breakfast. If anyone else has ever heard of this dish, please help me find out its origin. For dinner, my version of the ‘Chicago Hot Dog’ which is served with everything but the bun.
    On Fast Days my ODH weighs himself and we discuss at breakfast what we weigh. Today he wouldn’t reveal anything except “I need to lose weight.” Off to the races with that! No snacks today for either of us. Tomorrow [Thurs], normally a Fast Day will be a Slow Day and then Friday will be a Fast. Last night’s dinner was a Fast meal, but I didn’t tell him that. lol Today the Knitters [Ladies of Skein] will meet at the home of a woman who puts out an incredible spread. But I will stick to the tea, alas.

Pol, glad you were able to get some variation on the cream&potatoes meals in Romania! That can be tough on tour. Happily in the Azores there were lots of seafood options on menus.

Gorgeous day here today. We breakfasted on the veranda, serenaded by Vireos and Robins and Mourning Doves.

Thanks for the explanation of Arctoc Char fastingme. I like any fish and am more than happy with salmon.

I love hearing about everyone’s activities, all so different ๐Ÿ˜Š

Polly, I’ve found out the hard way it’s not always best ordering a vegetarian option in some countries, can be deadset boring ๐Ÿ˜ž

I always remember our first visit to Poland many years ago where breakfast choices were numbered and you ordered either a 1,2,3, etc. I wanted yoghurt from no. 1 and an egg from no. 2 or similar. Well that really threw them, much shaking of heads etc. in the end I settled for one of the standard options lol.

Many years ago, we stayed in a small village in Germany, where Mr P was temporarily working. Breakfast was a nightmare as our German was VERY poor and the owner spoke no English. We got into trouble every morning for some wrongdoing…sitting at a 4 up table, arriving before the boiled egg was ready, arriving when it had been cooked 5 minutes earlier etc. In the end, we gave up on turning up for breakfast. Frau…. was fiercesome! Excellent, if we’d only reaslied at the time. P

Hilarious Purle! Those experiences make the best memories don’t they. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Better memories built yesterday…Sydney rock oysters, tiger prawns, homemade mixed salad with avocado and aioli, served with fresh sourdough and white wine, on our balcony in the sun, looking out at the blue, blue, Tasman Sea/Pacific Ocean. Stunning! Life at it’s best…and healthy homemade food. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Oh, PVE, that sounds idyllic! Indeed life at its best!

Please to announce that Iโ€™m back just one pound over bottom wriggle room, in fact it seems to be my natural 127. Delighted to say that OH, who was thoroughly ashamed and embarrassed by his gut, has lost 2lbs and seems to be getting the weight regularly message.

Ordered sleeping bags for the boys – they are finally coming over! So excited! And they canโ€™t wait to see the castles!

Pol. ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ

Polly, how lovely that your NJ grandsons will go to visit you in Wales.

PVE, your meal sounds heavenly! Are ‘rock oysters’ a local oyster or a local name for something else?

After 2 Fast days last week, ODH is happy to say that he lost 3 pounds. He is committed to losing more weight. Last week was probably the last straw when he could not fasten his blue jeans!

Today was the town Rhubarb Festival, which I chair. Good day, but exhausting. Barely ate anything all day, despite the fact that I’m in charge of the Bake Table.. ODH was in charge of the wine tasting which went brilliantly. Homemade pizza for dinner. Sleep tonight and eat tomorrow no doubt.

Fasting-me, our OH sounds like mine. He was alarmed at the tightness of his suit trousers in January when we went to a funeral. Another in ten days. He is really trying now as he admitted to embarrassment about his belly while on our tour.

My transition is very sluggish at the moment. I suspect it needs to get used to two meals a day and 16 hour fasts.

A rhubarb festival sounds amazing – and a real challenge! Iโ€™d be having crumble with loads of custard. What a test for you both! Pies and wine! Well done on your abstention.

Pol

Hi FM
    Sydney rock oysters (smaller, but tasty) originally grew on the sanstone rocky shores here and are our indigenous oyster on this coast. Pacific oysters (big and pussie in my opinion ๐Ÿ˜) are not local, but often grown. There are many others grown and sold around Aust, but I am a loyal Sydney rock fan. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Pouring rain here tonight, so a pizza and red wine in a local cafe, with a playlist of versions of Leonard Cohen playing…a great way to warm up a winter night!! P

PVE, thanks for the description of your local oysters. East Coast oysters [North America] are very good and extremely varied. They have a great brine and meaty flavor and we like them better than West Coast [Washington State, Oregon, california] oysters which are small and less briny. On PEI, we have a local grower who offers 6 very nice varieties as well as a fellow on the other coast who raises delicious oysters. Yum Yum. Come on, it isn’t Winter yet! But I love your description of dinner at the cafe!

Polly, during the past 2 Fast Days, ODH has lost 3# and is very pleased. Tomorrow we will Fast again and I hope have more good results. It helps that he realizes that he has weight to lose. I just hope that his idea of how much matches MY idea of how much! Have I told you about my ‘Green Milk’ to combat slow transit? It really works for me, in a nice, natural way. I’ll give you the recipe if you wish.

This was the 6th year for the Rhubarb Festival. We developed it to have a Town Fete and to raise $ for the library building fund. It started out with me and a friend holding a bake sale on the library lawn. Then we got some craft booths. Now we are on a large town-owned field with many tents, all-day live music, children’s activities, food concessions, pie-baking contest, the bake sale, raffles, and the wine tasting. Committee of 9 — which is huge for our town. Had beautiful weather! happy it is over for another year.

Oh, yes, please for the recipe , fasting!

“Green Milk”
    1 cup milk
    1 cup whole spinach leaves
    1/2 oz dried date
    1 oz apple with skin, optional

Put the solids in the blender with half the milk. Whizz it on a high speed until the solids are invisible. Add the remaining milk and blend at a lower speed. Delicious. [Solids will still settle to the bottom, but fish them out with a spoon.] Sometimes it gets a wonderful frothy consistency like a milk shake. sometimes it doesn’t. good either way.

Lovely weather here today. Not much going on. Garden is blooming: peonies in bud; mock orange just starting; iris; forget-me-not. Delightful time of year.
    The local ice cream stand is open…bad news for the waistline!

Thanks, Fasting, I might give that recipe a try. Although I can’t really expect much through the system when I am on a second FD separated by a full fast. Thus a 48-hour total fast! It has certainly had the desired effect, especially after a lovely long weekend, dropping my weight to my ‘rapt’ level, and disposing of those two lingering kgs for good!

We went south to Kaikoura, partly to support the local economy after the dreadful 2016 earthquake, and had a most pleasant time, visiting wine makers, soaking in the hot pools at Hanmer, taking a flight over the resident sperm whale when he came up to re-oxidate, and driving up and down the coast to look in awe at the damage the earthquake did to road and rail, and the herculean work that has been done, and is still being done, to remedy this. We live in a geographically-challenged country, vulnerable to the shakes.

It’s fully winter here now, we are lucky to get into double figures during the day ๐Ÿ™ Only two weeks until the shortest day, though.

Well done B. I’m ready to give up..with an o/s trip looming, I guess I’ll wait until spring to trim down again.
    2 weeks to the shortest day? Excellent! P

Oh, thank you, fasting. We donโ€™t have a blender unfortunately. Probably worth buying one.

Barata, your trip sounds a mixture of fabulous and sad. That earthquake was so terrifying. A tremendous job to rebuild infrastructure and buildings.

PVE, donโ€™t give up! Youโ€™re our inspiration! And, as Iโ€™m sure youโ€™ve said, IF is way of life. Says she who found it very difficult on the Balkans tour, although I managed well in both Thailand and America.

We ate at Prezzo yesterday. I had a light pizza, basically half size, with their fabulous salad. Supposedly under 650 calls, I struggled to finish it. Then just a yoghyand two satsumas in the evening.

Iโ€™ve been rereading Kate Harrison’s book. She talks about 2year fatigue. Perhaps that was my problem on the recent tour – complacency more like.
    Pol.

I read Kate Harrison when I started 5 years ago. It was my go to book. Is there a new one?
    Don’t worry Poll. I’m using Barata’s 2kg problem as inspiration. ๐Ÿ˜‰ P

I would use my stick blender, Polly. Great for all sorts of jobs, easy to clean and put away!

We flew in and out of Christchurch, and spent Sunday looking around the city. There are so many gaps still, I was very surprised. But not so, I guess, it takes more than seven years to build a modern first-world city, while trying to please everyone.

Thanks, P. Any day can be fast day, and I am so happy with the results. The only thing affecting my sleep last night was being a little cold, but not enough to get up and do something about it ๐Ÿ™ The duvet has been shaken up for tonight – we have a feather one with channels where the feathers can go to the end in the summer, and be better distributed when the weather changes. Was it on this thread that prebiotics were mentioned as being suggested as a sleep aid by Dr M? I am proof that it works (still testing…)

It’s weird, isn’t it, how you cab be so cold, you can’t get up to di something abouts it, Barata?
    I don’t know about prebiotics helping sleep…I do sometimes find a spoonful of yoghurt helps.
    We were staggered how little progress had been made in Christchurch when we were there a while back. Earthquakes do SO much damage. P

It’s the big picture planning for a new city, insurance settlements, making sure sites are secure on shaky ground, dithering, arguing… Only seven years! Even Rome… And then seeing the vast areas in the east where the houses have been removed, grass, trees and derelict streets now remain.

Such a difference the prebiotics are making! And once I got to sleep I was okay. So looking forward to a sleep-in tomorrow. It’s been challenging getting to work this week in the WEATHER!

And I am so chuffed to be inspiring to you, my svelte little friend ๐Ÿ™‚

No. Not svelte ๐Ÿ˜
    We have been swimming around here in torrential rain, but noone’s complaining, we hadn’t had decent rain since…?…I can’t even remember.

Okay, I haven’t stood in front of your mirror recently ๐Ÿ™‚ . Just wish I still had my rain gauge to measure recent precipitation – it was a casualty of the fridge being moved across the back yard. Very pleased to hear you are enjoying some rain, though.

Argh! So odd that we experience completely opposite weather -and its effects!

Hi, Jim. I’ve seen your name before. i went to your link, but have scant inclination to sign up for any newsletters of any sort. Sorry to disappoint.
    On another thread you were trying to lose 10 kg in one month…. Are you a Faster? What’s your backstory?

We had a good Fast yesterday: Salt cod/garlic egg bake at breakfast. ‘Philly Cheesesteak’ for dinner. Pol, surely you are familiar with that sandwich!

I wondered whether Jim’s post was spam.

Oh, yes, OH has had the odd Philly Cheesesteak! Thankfully, heโ€™s not wild about them. Weโ€™re off to a 40th party tonight, weโ€™ll be like the old aunties. But itโ€™s a delightful young former colleague, so we want to help her celebrate. Careful buffet selection needed! ๐Ÿค”

Same thoughts here about ‘Jim.’ You notice that his comments are no longer posted.

We went off for the weekend to friends’ lake-side cottage. It was lovely!! Lots of good conversation among the 6 of us in a delightful setting. And then came the pitcher [bucket, actually] of Pimm’s Cup, and the bowl of crisps with dips. Oh dear. Tried to be abstemious, not too successful… Then a fine dinner with a weird FATTY dessert. But lots of fun. Do not look forward to the scales tomorrow. Must do some walking this evening.

Time to do a bit of gardening: hanging baskets; weeding the border; digging in some new plants. Weather is great for this. Last Friday was our 44th anniversary which we celebrated by going to the gym and enjoying a delicious dinner on the terrace at home. Excellent wine. Chocolate mousse.
    Good thing tomorrow is a Fast Day!!

Congratulations on your 44 years together FM. It gies quickly, doesn’t it? It sounds like a very relaxed celebration. ๐Ÿ˜Š P

What a great weekend, fasting! Time flies doesnโ€™t it. Iโ€™ve done our baskets, too, but not very pleased as two plants look pathetic. Iโ€™ve stuffed nasturtium seeds in now.

I hadn’t realised ‘baskets’ was a cold climate seasonal thing until we witnessed it in Boston and New York one May, a few years ago. It was such a joyous celebration of the end of winter. It is not a practice here as we experience relatively short mild winters (although I think it’s cold and miserable at present ๐Ÿ™„) We have flowers in the garden a year.
    Enjoy your blooms, girls. P

I have managed to catch up on ‘The Truth about Carbs’ with Zand van Tuellen. So interesting! A very interesting point was the change in structure of starches and sugars when treated differently – bread toasted straight from the freezer is change from bad carb to good card. Leftovers, reheated are also changed. So OH’s huge lasagne are better the second day,

Once again, a programme for reversing diabetes was feature. Itโ€™s likely to be rolled out to GPS nationally, but more on the extreme diet, with supported return to normal eating, rather than IF. The big question is what GP will have time to monitor this. Practice nurses may do it.

Those years certainly fly past, Fasting. Congratulations on your 44 years. We turn over our 47th anniversary tomorrow, off to work in a gale ๐Ÿ™ But in spite of the cold and rain I picked five buds off one of my roses yesterday, unheard of in previous years.

As far as being inspiring, I put on a kg a day over three days of the weekend, so disappointing. So last week’s fast is history, just hope today’s FD shows a bit of improvement. That can’t be fat, so let the waters drain! It does seem such a struggle to maintain, and if I thought I safely could I would take some time out. But that is sure to result in an even less happy outcome, so I will plod on with two FDs a week, minimising carbs, and otherwise enjoying good foods (and wine).

Congratulations Barata and Mr B!
    I’m with you, B, on the 2 fasts a week. It would be just too hard to maintain without them. I’ve just finished our Monday fast, and, boy, did that fish and salad taste good! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Polly, without IF Mr P would not be able to maintain his reversal of T2D. As our GP used to say, “It’s not rocket science.” I’m pleased to hear the NHS is beginning to embrace at least some of the aspects of this life saving wol. It’s a pity Diabetes Australia doesn’t do some up to date reading. ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ˜ P

Thanks, P! I count five dinners out this month, including with my cousin on Saturday after helping her with her students’ piano recital (lovely, Italian, just a shared platter of tapas and a tiramisu each, washed down with an Italian red), anniversary, work’s mid-winter celebration… It’s a tough life ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s called ‘life’ B ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Congratulations fastingme and Barata! ๐Ÿ’‘

For me it’s the meals out that add extra weight I don’t want. I can cope with one meal out a week without tipping the scales too badly but any more and I’m over trigger. Doesn’t really seem to matter what I eat – even making healthy menu choices and restricting number of wines doesn’t help.

Thank you for your kind congratulatory messages.
    Congratulations to Barata & Mr Barata [!] on 47 years together.
    You are correct about the dining out, Carolann. This next weekend we’ll dine out twice. Good grief.

Damage not as bad as I feared from the weekend — gained only 0.6 pounds. Tho I fear there might be a delay of impact or harder time shaking it off due to all the carbs & sugar I ate. Fasting today [natch!]: Nordic Breakfast [smoked salmon, Finn Crisp crackers, cream cheese, raspberries]. Red Flannel Hash with Egg for dinner — old New England meal which I have never prepared nor eaten previously. ODH is accustomed to my experiments, with him as the chief Guinea Pig.

Such beautiful weather here!! What is so rare as a day in June? Shakespear was right about that.

I’m interested in your fasting technique FM. We found, years ago, that fasting was only really doable by not eating anything for 24 hours, followed with a light, low carb evening “fast meal”. We both find, if we eat breakfast we are immediately hungry. Even on non fast days, breakfast is rarely eaten.
    Mr P does daily blood sugar tests and, if it is slightly elevated, skipping breakfast is all it needs to drop back to normal.
    The result us: skipping breakfast is the easiest way to limit food. P

We ate exactly the same -breakfast seems to stimulate the hunger. I found that when on that tour, although we were eating particularly early, but 1pm I was ravenous. Then not having lots of sensible choices available I ate rolls.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,151 through 10,200 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.