The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,101 through 10,150 (of 11,673 total)

• I guess I’ll just have to come over again next year Polly 😉😉

You will! 👏

Today is the 5th anniversary of our 5:2ing! Just another day after Monday fast.
    We both had blood tests last week and came out with a star. Cholesterol (esp HDL) very good, despite Mr P stopping statins months ago. He is officially not diabetic.
    My Vit D has risen significantly in the 5 years…probably as a result of my long walks after losing weight. 😉
    The doc is working on my fatigue … reducing bp drugs.😀 P

Congratulations! You’ve done so well, Purple! And I am very impressed with your husband. Wish I could say the same about mine! He was at daughter’s place last night, so will have tucked in.

It’s our 2nd anniversary tomorrow. I just can’t think of eating three meals a day again, although I am quite ready to open a bottle of wine or have a bit of chocolate. Cake now leaves me cold.

Pol. 👏👏👏

Yes, congratulations to you and Mr P, P!

Slim and healthy five years on! What better endorsement for intermittent fasting could there be?

Polly, your OH, what can I say?! My OH has always been a natural intermittent faster and has never had a problem with his weight. He does eat a reasonably healthy diet, at least in the house! But I know he supplements it with cr@p behind my back! And often rails against healthy eating (I suspect in a ‘doth protest too much’ kind of way, but irritating nonetheless). And I’d like him to drink a bit less. But there’s only so much you can do. I have to remind myself he’s an adult and responsible ( 😀) for himself.

On the subject of wine, I’ve gone off it!! I used to look forward all week to a (large) glass (or three) of red wine on a Friday night, but now it doesn’t appeal anymore. I think my gut flora have spoken…

Thanks girls. Mr P is no angel though! Left to his own devices, he will always choose protein and white carbs, even though he knows he must eat a wide variety of veg. He also just doesn’t get it when I say I love the veg.
    We had a homemade galette each for lunch today. I supplied a wide choice of toppings…he used ham and cheese only. Mine also had spinach, mushrooms and avocado. When I questioned him, all he could do was grin and say, “C’est culturale!” 😐😐
    I’m very disappointed in your move away from wine Happy. That, surely, is a bridge too far? P

P, that’s exactly the topping my OH would have chosen!

Well my tastes have been changing over time, but I wouldn’t have predicted that I’d go off wine! I’ve had perhaps 6 glasses of wine since Christmas!! [I should point out that I’m not teetotal, other alcoholic beverages are available 😊]

I can only blame my gut, I can’t think of any other explanation!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43674270

On the basis that I’m Half Woman Half Microbe (not Half Man Half Biscuit – sorry 1980s rock band reference 😀), I’m worrying about where they might next take me!

I know, when I was young and skinny, I knew intuitively when to stop eating and what type of food I genuinely needed. At some point, I lost that natural self regulation. Since 5:2, I have regained it. This doesn’t mean I don’t go off the rails, (my goodness that custard filled choux pastry with toffee on top was good this morning after I had some really good news), but I seem to have mostly regained the ability to listen to my body.
    I guess that’s what your doing too Happy. P

Excellent news Purple and fantastic results for Mr P!

Thanks Carol 😊

Many congrats and happy anniversary to you both, P-and thanks for being such a consistent and inspiring presence on the forum.

Well done to you both, P. Ever vigilant!

All this talk of alcohol! I am on day 11 of being alcohol-free. This was made easier by the bug that laid me low last week, put me off food and drink for several days, and inspired by a boss who found that alcohol-freedom improved her sleep. She’s on her second month – not for me, unless I find very positive results by the end of the month, that’s it, pour me a large glass of shiraz on 1st of May, ladies 🙂

That same bug got me down to my desired weight (58.x kgs) – Yay! I am determined not to increase again, so have decided to have a FD/OMAD when the scales creep over to 59 kgs. And what happened after Monday’s FD? You guessed it, so the breakfast I had promised myself before work didn’t happen. Back down again, two meals today with last barbeque of the season this evening, FD tomorrow.

It’s a glorious soft autumn day to remember our fallen warriors, wherever they lie.

I’m pleased you’ve finally got back to your happiness weight, B. 😊
    I went alcohol free for a month for charity a few years ago. I didn’t sleep any better, lost no weight and felt deprived. Moderation is the key.

Just reading my granddad’s war diary for ANZAC Day 100 years ago…he had just been medivaced from the Western Front to “old Blighty” and was recuperating on the Salisbury Plain. He watched football in the afternoon and attended a YMCA concert in the evening. Nice to be able to read his 34 year old’s his voice from long ago. P

I am happy to hear this, P, endorsing my natural desires 🙂 Certainly there has been no weight benefit from AF.

That’s a special memory. I lost two great-uncles in WWI, one in the horrors of Galipoli and one that went down in the North Sea. Both my father and FIL had reserved occupations during WWII so no close associations there.

Mum’s brother, in the RAAF, died on a sortie over France. Dad and mum both served in Australia.

I didn’t realise it’s ANZAC Day, although I should have done, since we visited Hellfire Pass on ourbthailtour last year when the circle was being prepared to commemorate those heroes who were worked to death there and otherwise suffered. The Narrow Road to the Derp North is one of the best books I’ve ever read, three times, in fact.

Anyone read Thomas Keneally’s ‘Daughter of Mars’? It deals with a pair of rival sisters from Tasmania, both of whom become nurses in the Australian army during WW1. Based on historical fact, it’s another excellent read,

I’ve also been to Kanchanaburi, Poll. Such a sad place.
    I’ve read many Tom Keneally books, but not that one…I’ll seek it out. P

PVE, happy anniversary and good job on maintaining. You show what can be accomplished.

Not sure how to wish you well in honor of ANZAC day, PVE, Barata, and others I’ve omitted. Certainly can’t say ‘Happy ANZAC’. Were ANZAC Cookies part of the observance?

Fasting today after lunching out during past 2 days. Of course a Linner means no Dinner, but I’m not sure many calories were saved. Small bump in weight, so trying to behave today.
    Breakfast = Smoked Salmon/Green Onion Scrambled Eggs with mango on the side.
    Dinner = Steak Salad containing asparagus, green beans, mango, and lettuce.

Thanks FM.
    ANZAC Day is a sombre day of remembrance. Different for different people. For me it is an annual reminder of the terrible price of war and how important it is for us to avoid military responses to political problems at all costs. Politicians are ever willing to throw young lives away, and to inflict untold damage on the residents in war zones.
    ANZAC BISCUITS (never cookies!) were always part of April 25 here, until 5:2. I simply can’t make them with all that sugar and golden syrup and expect to not eat them.😑
    We had some actual rain, finally, overnight. Hopefully the farmers get some, too. NSW is in terrible drought. The farmers are selling off all but vital breeding stock. P

Well I still make the Anzac biscuits. Anzac Day is a VIP day in our family’s calendar. My father is almost 96 and still marches, though this year looked a bit dicey as he was In hospital with a UTI for 3 days leading up to Anzac Day. It’s such an important day to him I think he would do anything to make that match.

We have a tradition of whoever can goes into watch the March and then we have lunch at a Nearby hotel where they serve complimentary fritz and sauce sandwiches – yum! Fritz, white bread, tomato sauce – once a year doesn’t matter lol. This year we had 17 at lunch.

Then usually everyone comes back to our place for afternoon tea which is where the Anzac biscuits are required, but this year because dad hadn’t been well we went back to his house so he could have a sleep if he needed one.

I ate half a biscuit because I think every cook needs to test what she’s made, but didn’t enjoy it really, and I used to pre 5:2!

Wow, P, I hadn’t realised there was such desperate drought at the moment. Fingers crossed for rain!

I used to make Anzac biscuits quite regularly, but not so much since 5:2. Perhaps I will this weekend though, in memory of your fallen boys. It makes me wonder why Anzac Day isn’t made more of over here. We shouldn’t only remember the sacrifices of our own nation…

Carol,

You snuck your post in while I was typing. Perhaps I shouldn’t make any then, if they aren’t going to taste as good as I remember!

Prince Charles gave a speech this year. Good on him. They ARE still our Royals, too, after all.
    We missed the Dawn Service, but had a family bbq and read excerpts of my grandad’s WW1 diary to my kids and grandkids. It brings the reality of everyday life on the Western Front to life. He tended to treat the more gruesome parts with stoicism.
    Interestingly, he weighed only 64kg when he signed up (and he was tall) and 76kg by the time he sailed home in 1919. P

I enjoyed reading about your observances and family memories of sacrifice and stoicism. Thank you for sharing those.

Both William and Harry attended London remembrance services for Anzac Day, and apparently there were many events and commemorations around Britain, so yes, you are supporting our efforts in keeping Europe free in Old Blighty, thanks 🙂

Hi Barata,

I realise I didn’t phrase my post particularly well (it was late!). I know there was a service in London, but tbh I heard more about it here than I did on the news. Maybe I missed the coverage, or perhaps it’s that I live in an area without a high Aus/NZ/military population.

Probably too cold and wet, Happy? 😉😉

Well thinking about it, I guess because it’s your Day, your media might report on/ have a round up of services and tributes held round the world in a way that the media in those other countries might not?

We have all day coverage on tv and radio, from the Dawn Services in NZ and here, right through the Marches around the country and to the Dawn Services in Gallipoli and France. Total saturation.

Carol, I really admire your father. Hope he’s well now. ANZAC Day was observed here.

We had a huge breakfast yesterday : ‘Dutch Babies.’ [baked pancakes] ODH does a great job with them. He observed, this must be low in calories, since it is 3 eggs and 1/2 cup flour. Not so fast, I countered. I had thought that once myself and did a nutritional analysis: 600 calories/serving! SO delicious. In mid-afternoon we enjoyed a Sunday roast pork, complete with pie a la mode for dessert. And this morning the scales showed a loss of 1 pound for each of us!! Perhaps the saving grace was that the dinner was at 2 pm, with no eating after that; sort of a 16:8.
    Fasting today: Cornmeal stars with yogurt and fruit for breakfast. For dinner, chicken and chickpeas in puttanesca sauce with asparagus.

Rainy here in NH, but the daffodils are in bloom, the lilacs are bursting their buds, and the peepers are in full chorus. Happy Fast Day.

Dutch Babies sound I there sting fastingme. I love pancakes!

Is it a normal pancake recipe? Do you bake the mix as one large pancake?

I often make pancakes as a ‘Saturday Special’ breakfast. Comprises 1 banana1 egg and 3 teaspoons of coconut flour with some vanilla essence.

Nice, but not really like pancakes lol!

I just Googled ‘Dutch babies’. Hmm…baked pancakes! Never seen them before. We make galettes in this house …buckwheat pancakes, cooked on a crepe maker, or in a frying pan, and filled with ham, cheese and optional spinach (me) before being folded into a long roll. We first had them in Paris as a cheap, quick meal, and fell in love with them. Usually served with a salad.
    I have purchased salmon for tonight. Baked with a quick steaming of some shredded veg, it will warm us up. We were in IKEA and I spotted the fish…grown in Aus, and quite tasty. New baskets for my pantry, a light for the study and dinner, all from the same shop! P 😁

Carol,

I love pancakes too. A bit too much 😊

I’ve got some left over spicy pepper and tomato ‘stew’ from last night and was wondering what to eat with it. I stumbled on a chickpea (gram/ besan) flour pancake recipe so that’s lunch sorted.

I’ve never heard of Dutch babies, but it appears to be an American thing, originally based on German pancakes. The batter seems to be similar to the British Yorkshire pudding, so I now understand. I love Yorkshire pudding too 😀

Oh dear, just gone 9am and salivating already!

So am I, but it’s 6:17 pm!!! And dark!

Ah, I remember the days when it was dark by 6pm…! Currently light til gone 8. We just need some warmth now to enjoy the light evenings.

We don’t have an Ikea within ready driving distance, but I have been to one once. Friends of ours used to go regularly for the meatballs!

Our house is almost totally IKEA. Even the kitchen. We’ve been buying there for 40 years. Excellent products.
    The dinner was delicious (sorry Hapoy, too early for you!) The corn this year has been fabulous…and a VERY long season. 2 mins in the microwave (husk on) and cut the nibblets off. Add them to salads and stir fries…manifique! P

OH loves IKEA meatballs. We have a few things from there, too, including double-stacked bookcases. Our kitchen table and chairs is perfect.

Horrible week with transition problems for some reason. If I avoid wine I seem to be blocked up.anyway, it’s grumpies at lunchtime and dining club today, so care must be taken. And I’m off to a cafe to meet the lady from Dementia Friends soon -thinking about volunteering.

Oh, the thread has gone so quiet! How’s everyone doing?

I’m having wide, wild fluctuations this week – apparently losing and gaining 2lbs day by day. Can’t see what I’m doing differently, though.

We actually had a summer weekend, so I painted my toes nails. Back to decidedly cool now and heating has kicked in.

Pol. 🙋🏼

Fast day just finished here and the temp is plummeting Pol. We are in for snow south of here after a lovely warm day! Fire and jumpers on. Salmon and veg in the tummy. Now for another hot black coffee.
    I hope you are all keeping well. P

Well I’m 2lb up this morning…didn’t think yesterday was that bad, and it wasn’t high carb! Oh well, I’m trying to be mindful today and I’ll have a run later.

The sun is shining today and it’s about 15c, after yesterday’s rain and 11! We lit the fire last night P too, as it was forecast to dip down below 5 overnight ☹️

I’ve just bought two pairs of sandals from an outlet shop, so I need some nice weather…although not until I’ve done a pedicure and painted my toenails! I have a damaged nail bed on one big toe and periodically the nail detaches and grows out as a new nail grows underneath. It makes for an interesting layered effect, but three layers of nail of different ages (and hues!) is not a winning look. The podiatrist suggested having the nail removed entirely. But waaaaahhhh.

Urrgg..sounds awful, Happy. I’d stick with the nail polish.
    I’m off to bed, hopefully to sleep, which rarely happens on fast nights. It’s the thing I dislike most about fasting. But after 5 years, I should be used to it. P

Sleep well P!

Yes, I won’t unleash that foot on an unsuspecting world without covering that nail with a solid block colour polish!!

My weight is going along as per usual. I seem to have regained the little bit I thought I’d lost as the scales were showing a consistent dropping that was actually too low but now I’ve regained it I’m not happy lol!

Those scales and me have a mind game going 😂

Happy that nail sounds unpleasant, must be frustrating!

Purple, I don’t sleep well fast nights either and hate it when I wake up in the early hours to go to the loo and the hunger pains have really set in – so much harder to get back to sleep.

Polly, fluctuations seem to be part of the game and no rhyme or reason often!

Autumn has hit here with a vengeance – cold and wet! Brrr!

Hi Carol
    Talk about winter! I keep planning delicious, warming recipes and then realise I can’t possibly eat that much! Pity, really. Keep rugged up and think of the extra weight as a winter layer. P

We were back to cold weather yesterday and today has not started well as the heating has kicked in! Damn British weather – we can have four seasons in one day!

Had a meal out on a village pub last night -brilliant chick pea and lentil dhal, small portions, but delicious. Then a crumble with custard, a real,treat. The place is a good discovery.

We’re off on a tour of the Balkans next week: the weather forecast is rain following us all the way! I’ve bought Harvest bars as emergency rations in case there’s no vegetfood available. I hope I don’t have to resort to them.

Well, Polly, we’ve had one season since last night…dark and drizzly,with strong icy winds. Perfect day to sit by the fire, eat soup (plus a late afternoon Kahlua) and do computer work. No exercise I’m afraid. P

Hi, everyone. Off early tomorrow and not taking iPad with me, too risky on a tour. I’ve recorded weight on tracker today and on my fridge chart. Holding 127lbs very well. I looked back two years -I was nearly 11st!, but had lost 3lbs since beginning on ‘my journey’. Ever thankful to daughter for buying us the book.

Have a good two weeks, supportive maintaining friends!

Pol 🙋🏼

Have a wonderful trip, Poll. We’ll still be here 😉😉P

Polly,

I hope you have a great trip and whilst I’ll be pleased if you can take any rain away from the UK I also hope it stays dry for your holiday!

And ha ha, yes, 11 stone. Hmmm. I remember it well! When I began 5:2 I was a flabby 11st 5, but have been +/- 30lbs lighter for the last four years.

I saw a friend a couple of weeks ago who was worrying that none of her summer clothes were going to fit. That thought hasn’t occurred to me for four years now. Winter and summer, and everything in between, clothes are guaranteed to fit when your weight changes so little 😀

Viewing 50 posts - 10,101 through 10,150 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.