The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,851 through 9,900 (of 11,673 total)

• Interesting headache topic. I’ve not had that problem, maybe as an oxo or veg bouillon drink is one of my savers – a very low calorie drink, which takes time to finish and takes the mind of food, as well as hunger.

Pol

No, Vegemite! Been wondering where you were FFS 😂

We’ve been very well disciplined this week, as too much wine was becoming a habit with me. I’m worse than OH! Too many meals out, as well.

OH will be out all day at an away game. This would usually be my sneaking chocolate treat, but I’ll be strong, keep busy and resist! I hope! 🤔
    Pol.

innocently, I made a chocolate cake for my husband’s birthday… one of his family’s revered recipes. Delicious, but every day we ate a slice for dessert, we gained a pound! When we didn’t eat any, lost a pound. I’ll be reluctant to bake that again! Even my ODH suggested that the remaining cake should be packed off to the freezer. Presumably we will be slim enough to eat it sometime in the future…

Fast Day today. For breakfast we’ll have a Welsh-inspired [attention, polly!] omelette and for dinner I’ll attempt steamed chicken momos [momoas?] with curried zucchini.

Fasting tomorrow might be a good idea, too. Have 2 pounds to go. Dratted cake.

Ooh, what is a Welsh-inspired omelette?

Well, I have exceeded myself in stupidity or senior moments today! Poetry group meets in a local gastro pub, where we usually have lunch. I was bothered that we’d forgotten the blueberries we’d bought, so had them with my cereal at 1pm. That was before I set off to poetry – where of course I ordered and ate lunch!

Thankfully, it was a light lunch, quiche and salad. 😳. When got home I asked OH what he was making for dinner!

The forum has gone quiet. Where is everyone?

Pol.

Hi Polly,

I’m still here, but lurking! Nothing to report. After 4 years, maintenance is proving easy and uneventful. But otherwise I’m just dull dull dull at the moment. I’m really ready for a bit of warmth now, and the dark winter we’ve had has left me distinctly low ☹️

….laverbread?

Pol, the ‘Welsh-inspired omelette’ contains leeks and Red Dragon cheese. We loved it. Had hoped to find Caerphilly [sp?] cheese, but was happy to find Red Dragon. If you know how to find my blog, watch for the March 1st issue [you see the connection right away, I’m sure], which will be posted on Feb 28.
    Your meal confusion was hilarious, Polly. Was the next day a Fast Day?

Barata, for you I ran a blog post on Dec 17, but never bothered to mention it.

Happy, I see you mentioned laverbread. I’ve seen that named as a common Welsh food — is it made from the seaweed ‘laver’? Could one substitute nori?

Lost the next pound yesterday, so am at Target Weight. Hope to lose more today to get down to more comfortable zone.

As for those of you who can’t get warm: my mother always said to wash the dishes [by hand] or to iron or do the vacuuming when you are cold. She was a practical woman, but she was right.

Why do I hear/read people saying that one should eat full-fat dairy these days? Of course fat does not make you fat, but the calories sure add up. Will someone please explain?

Hi F_me,

Re: full fat vs low fat. You could start here:

http://time.com/4279538/low-fat-milk-vs-whole-milk/

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/is-it-ok-to-eat-full-fat-dairy-like-yoghurt-milk-and-butter/

Basically low fat has been a con, with dietary fat erroneously blamed for obesity and CVD risk. The evidence is that full-fat is more nutritious and healthier and, contrary to what you think, results in reduced risk of weight gain.

I wouldn’t touch low (reduced) fat anything with a barge pole!

Oh yes, and it is seaweed! I don’t make it, so wouldn’t know about nori substitute I’m afraid!

Hi, everyone. I wouldn’t say laverbread is a common Welsh food. It’s mainly available in the Swansea and Llanelli areas and had with oatmeal and bacon, so not for me. I don’t think nori is the same, as there are many different seaweeds.

Fasting- me, ironing always warms me up, too. I keep forgetting where everyone is. So where are you?

OH is trying hard again, as his best coat, a Paul Smith no less, makes him look fully upholstered! He’s only managing half a pound a week, though, which is a bit discouraging.

Looking forward to a good rugby afternoon! Will you be watching, happy? C’mon, Wales! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Pol. 💁🏼

Indeed Polly! I’ve been out shopping super early, so I can get chores done and fit in a walk before the match 😀 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Disappointing game. I opened a packet of mini eggs to share with my friend. She didn’t like them, so I’m sure you can guess what happened! 😳

I’m won’t have my Saturday ice cream treat. Oops, I had a small tub at Theatr Clwyd yesterday when we saw Twelfth Night from the RSC.

Polly, snap! I opened a bar of green and blacks chocolate…didn’t even tell OH I’d opened it…you can guess what happened… 🤭

Polly, your OH’s half a pound a week is at least in the right direction, so well done him if he keeps it up. My OH is back to his weight when he started 5:2 18 months ago. He will not drink water, enjoys artificial sweeteners and loves his beer, says he would be much worse off without the two days of fasting. He had his fasting insulin tested a couple of weeks ago – 130, which is high, but I cannot find a guide to how high as the scales used in the US are different. So insulin resistant, as I knew he would be, and at risk of T2 diabetes in spite of good blood sugar readings. But he won’t change his ways 🙁

fasting_me, remind me of your website address. I’m sure you have previously…

And we are back with full-fat everything in the house – milk, butter etc. I discovered the local supermarket has roasted pork belly in the deli, so that was my dinner on Friday when the blokes had takeaways. I’m still working on those two dratted kgs, will have to do some longer fasts / fat fasts once my kitchen reno is complete, which will be this week.

Oh, what is it with men! I was so proud of OH when he lost the beer gut. He looks good from the back, but not from the front.

It could be very easy to slip back into old ways, wouldn’t it. We’ve always had butter, though, but don’t use much. The rugby season is a problem. He goes to our club every week, with the other old farts. If they drink wine, too much goes down and they are like fools afterwards. It was funny the first time, no more!
    We had to go to a funeral on Monday. That his trousers were tight have given him the message,

Brisk walk in the cold today!

Enjoy the sun, Barata

Pol 💁🏼

Polly, I’m in New Hampshire, USA. That Red Dragon cheese is delicious!
    Barata, when I write the address of my blog in a thread, it is removed by admin. Got a reprimand from them last May for naming my blog. So click my ‘handle’ to get to my profile. In the profile is my blog address.
    Happy, thanks for sending those articles. I’ll have to re-evaluate my position on that. Of course we eat lots of full-fat cheese, daily, so we are getting our dairy fat. We’ve gotten so accustomed to the flavor and mouth-feel, that I wonder if we could go back. Aside from butter and cheese, I don’t like the ‘taste’ [to me, no taste at all] of cream/whipped cream except as an ingredient in a flavorful sauce.

Nice walk with ODH yesterday. Snow and freezing rain today. No walkies. ODH has read all the signs and has renewed his efforts to get back to his Target. Good for him. He is making slow progress and observing strict Fasts.

Pain au Chocolat for breakfast this morning, so no snacking today and a strict Fast tomorrow.

Happy St Davids Day all my little Welsh mates 😊 P

Diolch yn fawr, PVE! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Pol

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus, P and Polly! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

A ti, Happy.

Poor kids won’t have their celebrations as there are so many school closures.

Well I can see the tops of my leeks above the snow, but the daffs are well and truly buried!

The kids might not mind missing the celebrations…they’re getting a day off school AND snow!

Happy St David’s Day, Pollypenny! I’ve heard that you are having some fierce weather there in Wales. Hope you are doing well.

We ate our Welsh Scromelette last week, so for today’s Fast we enjoyed a Maritime Omelette. Flavored with salt cod, mashed potato, Cheddar, and savory. Delicious! For dinner: an adaptation of Chicago Hot Dogs. Am almost back to Target Weight!

Snow is due tomorrow, after rain. Warm weather has melted most of the snow here, except in the piles along the driveway. The sap is running! We’ll be boiling off soon. Spring is here.

ccco USA Day 1 FD

Happy St. David’s Day to all my Welsh friends! I love the Gaelic! My father came here from Cork, Ireland, so there is still the Irish Gaelic in my family, although I know very little of it. Wish I did, but love to see it!

Well, I am into day 1 in the new March challenge and I have a plan! Always a good thing! I will have to deal with the upcoming St. Pat’s Day and my son’s birthday, so I will have to work that into my plan. There is always a celebration lurking somewhere! LOL I feel great about this month, though, and am Good to go.

I do want to comment about all the snow over there in the UK, Ireland, Paris, Rome!!! Also, the low temperatures you’ve been having! That’s supposed to be my weather over here on the U.S. east coast. Instead no snow, it’s getting warmer, and flowers are starting go grow! Go figure! The world seems to be upside down this year!!

The red warning was given for South and Mid Wales, with the Clwydian Range protecting us – wrong! It’s been snowing steadily all afternoon, light stuff, blowing around, some sticking though. Good job we cancelled dining club!

I called in the library this morning to see a feast for St. David, cakes, biscuits and Welsh cakes, of course. Three Welsh cakes means a bad day for my TDEE!

Our sap was also rising, ccco! Loads of big fat buds on the magnolia! Poor things. We will be in Princeton, NJ, next Tuesday. Hope the weather is better. Got Welsh rugby shirts for the boys, so we can all wear them to watch Wales v. Italy. I will teach them the anthem, they should manage the chorus, at least.

Fasting, I love your omelette varieties!

Well, Pollypenny! My weather app says Tuesday in Princeton should be around 45 degrees and sunny, at least so far but that’s in keeping with what we’ve had so far recently! I have relatives in Princeton, New Jersey, some of whom are descended for the Scottish clam of the Magills (that’s how they are spelling it these days, anyway! … and the Irish Crowleys out of Cork, Ireland!) No Welsh that I am aware of but I will root for the Welsh rugby team! Go Wales! Have a great day!

coco, where are you on the US East Coast? I’m curious, since I am in NH. Don’t want it to be too warm too soon, as the apple buds will swell and then be nipped by the frost which will surely come.

Pol, you have magnolias?!? The white ‘star magnolias’ do bloom here in southern NH, which always amazes me. Have a good trip to Princeton, although you will gain weight from ‘biting your tongue’ around child-rearing.

Chicago Hot Dogs for a Fast Day were a real winner! A repeat, for sure.

PVE, you have the opposite weather for St David’s Day, don’t you. Hope it was a happy one.

Don’t worry, fasting_me, I have homes in New York City and Baltimore. Today I am in Baltimore and we are all tying down our furniture for a 70 mph wind Nor’easter, something we don’t get in the Winter or Spring!! The weather in NYC has been pretty much the same as in Baltimore (except I don’t have a garden there! LOL ) The weather this year everywhere has been so topsy turvy that it’s surreal. I am scratching my head but grateful not to be dealing with all that snow and ice!! My flowers are coming up in my Baltimore gardens and are fine! I know what you say about the apple buds! I’ve had that happen in the past but don’t think I will have that problem this year and I hope you won’t either! 🙂

I discovered I’d been unclicked from notifications 😑 I wondered why it was so quiet.

Fast_me,full fat dairy satiates, therefore you eat less. I’ve never been a believer in corrupting natural foods. Seems so senseless to take the natural fat out of a product that IS fat and then add sugar to make it palatable!

The weather changes around the world were predicted by scientific research 40 years or more ago. The problem is recalcitrant governments and lobby groups with vested interests. This is the price we are paying.

Yes, Coco, the Southern Hemisphere has the opposite seasons to the Northern. Autum started yesterday, St Davids Day. We are sitting in the mid 20s C at present.

I have no Welsh blood, but proudly have plenty of Celt flowing in my veins from the Scots and the Irish. I made a version of Wesh rarebit with spelt bread for brunch this morning…a day late as Thursday is fast day.
    Keep warm and safe Northerners P

Hey purple veggie eater! We are battening down the hatches, tying down furniture, and putting what we can inside against a Nor’easter! We aren’t supposed to get those this time of the year!!
    So screwy!!

That’s climate change..unexpected, cataclysmic weather patterns 😑😐

Hi Purple:

I know you think man is responsible for all things climate change, but, really, how can you believe that?

There have been times on earth when there has been no ice anywhere. The U.S. State of Alaska was at one time a tropical forest, which, over the eons, turned into vast quantities of oil. Only 10,000 years ago, all of what we now call Canada and where I grew up in the U.S. Midwest was under one or more miles deep glaciers. Now, 10,000 years later, most of those glaciers have melted – most before man even appeared on earth. Primitive human settlements originally located on the shores of the oceans/seas are now being explored by archeologists – hundreds of feet under water.

Our lifetimes comprise only one millisecond of the time the earth has existed. The total time of man on earth covers less than a second of billions of years. The concept that the earth’s climate would not change but for man’s activities is – let us say – not supported by historical fact.

In the 1970s, the big news was that the earth was falling into an ice age. When that didn’t happen, it became man is causing global warming. When the temperature of the earth did not go up for 17 years, the narrative was changed to humans are causing climate change.

Given the age of the earth, its history of going from almost totally frozen to almost totally tropical and back again, and again, and again, the belief that humans are somehow causing it all is just – unbelievable.

Is the climate changing? Yes. Will the climate continue to change? Yes. Will the climate change if humans are wiped off the earth and no longer impact the atmosphere? Yes. The climate changes regardless, for reasons man cannot control and for many different reasons. Now, the mantra is high C02 levels caused by humans are leading to global warming. But research shows that C02 levels were at extreme highs during a wicked ice age. The earth wobbles, changing the energy inputs to various parts of the earth constantly. The sun undergoes periods of high and low energy output. The last sun low output timeframe caused a mini-ice age in the 1700s – but today, as we go into another low energy output phase, it is predicted that the earth will not cool down because of man’s activity. Who knows? It is also clear that the climate changes after earth is hit by large meteors and asteroids. Super volcanoes do the trick also – if the U.S. Yellowstone super volcano blows, the climate change caused by the eruption will wipe out the U.S. and seriously impact the rest of the world. Of course, there are super volcanos all over the earth, so any one of them erupting will do massive damage to our environment and civilizations.

But this is a weight loss site. So why climate change is a subject is beyond me.

I simply suggest people do 5:2 correctly, and believe that if they do, they will lose weight.

As this was a conversation between posters on the Maintenance thread, and directly relates to eating patterns in different climatic situations, this conversation stands.
    I have no intention of debating with a climate change denier here, Simcoe.
    Stick to your threads where you claim to be an authoritative voice.
    We Maintainers will continue to chat and support each other. PVE

Hi PVE:

And you are an ‘authoritative voice’ on climate change?

Really?

Well I’m with you P, and the experts!

According to the IPCC, “Attribution studies support the conclusion that ‘it is extremely likely that human activities have caused more than half of the observed increase in global mean surface temperatures from 1951 to 2010.”; “Human influence on the climate system is clear and recent anthropogenic emissions of greenhouse gases are the highest in history. Recent climate changes have had widespread impacts on human and natural systems.”

Mansplain (verb). To explain something to someone in a way that appears condescending and patronising; used especially when a man explains something to a woman that she already fully understands.

Simcoeluv, I’ve read one of your essays on the climate on another thread. Strange to see you on this one; do you have an alert to the phrase ‘climate change’? Are you an ‘authoritative voice’ as you challenge PVE? Most scientists do agree on the subject – yes, mankind is having an effect.

Fasting, our magnolias are pink. I remember the gorgeous white magnolias in Florida when my son lived there, I loved walking their dog. Yes, there will be some biting of tongues for a couple of weeks. I hope we will be able to get out for some good walks, which we aren’t able to do in January. We did experience mall-walking once, though.

I only ate one meal yesterday, after my Welsh cake indulgence and having baked beans on toast for brunch. A yoghurt and two satsumas proved to be plenty. That one’s appetite reduces is helpful -thankfully! We just have to heed it!

Pol.

Well Polly I’ve totally failed to fast so far this week! Too cold, and hormones haven’t helped 😣

If we have a sweet treat at the weekend, it is very often Welsh cakes. I’ve always got the ingredients in, they’re easy to make, and delicious! And not very high in added sugar either…! We’re snowed in at the moment, and I’ve been thinking I should probably make some this weekend (in the interests of eating our way through the store cupboard and not starving, you understand 😀).

Excellent strategy, Happy. You shouldn’t waste food! We’ve got deep snow, too, in our cul de sac. The other roads have been done, though. Good job I did cancel the dining club. This much snow was not forecast for us.

Stay warm.

Pol. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

As a former Earth Science teacher, which included Weather, Atmosphere, resource use [fossil fuels], the Cryosphere, and Earth History, I can say that the climate changes. The fact that it has changed so dramatically [rise in temp in polar regions, increase in greenhouse gasses in atmosphere] since the Industrial Revolution, points to only one conclusion. Having taken a week-long workshop at NASA, Langly Field [where Hidden Figures took place], I had a chance to speak with scientists/researchers who had ‘authoritative voices’ and they all agreed.

Now I’ll have to research ‘Welsh cakes’.

Dismal results after yesterday’s Fast. Must. redouble. efforts….

Some snow this morning, now rain, wind at 15 knots. Surely you have it worse, coco. Good luck there in Balto. Typical for us in NH.

Fasting_me: Sounds like you had an interesting science career! I find science, especially, environmental and astrological science fascinating! Not doing so well here in Baltimore!! 🙁 Winds were 60 mph! Ripped my barbecue cover in half and broke a piece off my fence. Both are in my house now. Too little too late!! At least my furniture is secure! I’ll have to google those Welsh cakes, too! I am having fun reading the different things people eat in our universal group! LOL

I was very impressed by fasting’s teaching career, too. So interesting!

The BBC good food website gives the best recipe for Welsh cakes, which are basically very simple sweetened flat-breads. The Sainted Delilah Smith says they should ne eaten with butter – NO! They are not mini scones. Jamie Oliver talks annoy splitting them and sandwiching with cream. Wrong again. If they are thick enough to split they’re wrong.

www,bbcgoodfood.com/recipes

Pol.

The funny thing is, no matter how often and loud you shout it, the Earth still isn’t flat. 😑
    Happy gave me her mum’s Welsh cake recipe a couple of years ago. I quickly realised they had to go on the ‘do not make’ list! Far too addictive 😉😉 P

Polly,

My Welsh cake recipe is similar to the ‘classic’ on BBC good food (with spice and orange zest). I never add lard or raising agents (that would be a scone!). And I don’t dredge them with flour, totally unnecessary. Some of the family spread them with butter, but NO ONE splits them or has jam (that would be a scone!).

I’m loving your NO to Delilah’s serving suggestion, but perhaps we should be asking her ‘why why why’…. 😀

Oooh! I looked up the recipe and they look so good! Must try. You might even see them in my blog — but I am getting ahead of myself. When the recipe says ‘spice blend’, what does it mean? I have a recipe for ‘Elizabeth David’s spice blend.’ Since she must be Welsh, is that what I should use?

coco: if you got off with a damaged cover and a broken fence, you were lucky. Glad it wasn’t worse. My mother always said, ‘As the days get longer, the storms grow stronger.’ March here in NH doesn’t always come in like a lion, but this time it did.

I had a lot of fun teaching Earth Science and opening students’ eyes to our world. I used to do a greenhouse gas lab, which lasted for weeks. Students would write their own hypothesis as to whether or not the gas of their choice [NO2, CO2, Methane, or ozone] would raise the temperature in the experiment. Most say it will raise the temp. One boy, who had conservative political leanings, said that CO2 would not raise the temperature. After doing the experiment, and seeing how VERY much the CO2 raised the temperature, he tried to explain to his classmates that he ‘just wanted to be different’, but I don’t think they bought that either. Seeing connections between the lessons and life is important.

have a good weekend, wherever you are and whatever your weather is.

I don’t dare make any sort of cakes now! When we’re on a trip my friend and I will often have a slice between us, as all we want is a taste, really. Amazingly, the Welsh cakes in Tesco were lovely.

It snowed heavily again last night. Thankfully, nothing like the terrible drifts in South Wales, down on the vale, too.

Pol.

I always share a slice with someone else these days Polly. It is plenty! We also find a gourmet pizza, green salad and a bottle of wine is heaps for 3 people when eating out. I can’t believe how much we used to think appropriate 😉 P

Exactly! I think we continued to eat because it tastes good! Portion sizes were always my problem. OH was also a sneaky snacker! No rugby today as the pitch is 4 inches deep in snow, so sensible eating! He was some plan for butternut squash.

Fasting_me,

I’m afraid I don’t know what Elizabeth David’s spice blend contains, but for Welsh cakes mixed spice or nutmeg work.

Interesting reading about your teaching experience. I’m slightly in awe of teachers, large groups of children terrify me!

Well I’ve not managed to fast at all this week, but the scales have been kind (cold weather and plenty of exercise clearing snow!). Anyway, OH is away for an overnight next week, so I’m determined to fast next week. In a subconscious (?) effort to hold myself to that, I’ve eaten a tad too much this weekend already 😊

I often share with a friend too – except she buys one sort of cake, I buy another and we share Lol!

I think we should be more french like with the serving sizes of cakes Polly. I love it when cafes put a tiny cake on my plate because it’s all I want and all I need!

Well I can’t remember the last time I ordered cake, or had a dessert after a meal. My MIL would like to share a cake, but we don’t have the same tastes, and I rarely want something sweet to eat during the day. Sweet treats get rarer and less sweet the older I get.

(One of!) my personal bugbear(s) at the moment is individually wrapped biscuits with coffee. Everywhere. I went to a lovely coffee shop yesterday at 9am for a coffee (OH had a breakfast, which I watch him eat!), and was served a little biscuit on the saucer. It was 9am, breakfast time, and I’d ordered a coffee not a coffee and a biscuit. I told the waitress she could take the biscuit back. Her face was a picture of ‘does not compute’ and incomprehension that I didn’t want the first thing I ate that day to be a biscuit. Even my hairdressers serve a biscuit with coffee. I’ve come in for a haircut, not a bl**dy biscuit! Stop. If I want a biscuit I’ll buy a biscuit!!

Grrr 🤬😀

You are a saint, Happy 😊
    I always think it weird that they put a little biscuit (unwrapped) with my coffee when I’ve ordered something else to eat. I also get that aghast look when I ask them to take the sugar sachets away. Black coffee….nothing else! 😊

Viewing 50 posts - 9,851 through 9,900 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.