The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,551 through 9,600 (of 11,673 total)

• Carol, those early videos on 5:2 are talking about grossly obese people doing ADF. They will still lose weight, initially, overeating on non fast days as they are still effectively halving their intake. A very different story once they are in healthy weight range.

If you take me as an example, my daily intake should only be roughly 1300 cals per day. If I eat 400 cals on fast days, it still means I can only ‘binge’ out on 1460 cals on non fast days to maintain. That doesn’t allow much room for junk foods.

I think they simply promoted that theory to stop the junk food piggies from freaking about changing their diets. We all know you actually quickly lose your desire for such foods…thank goodness. P 😊😊

Out of interest, I just looked up calories in a Big Mac “medium meal deal”… 1080 calories.
    Maccas anyone? πŸ”πŸŸπŸ΅

It probably is a softly softly approach Purple but still looked very weird Dr M and the researcher/scientist munching on burgers!

I notice when I’m out people eating on the go always seems to have some wheat based food in their hand. Different when people sit down at a cafe to eat.

And there’s almost all our TDEE gone in one Big Mac and you’ll feel hungry again an hour later lol!

We would all eat less if the accepted norm was to be seated at a table to eat. “Fast” food is a fast way to obesity πŸ™„

Carol, ignoring the lovely bread and back to my porridge or bran flakes lunch/breakfast seems to have worked. That also allows my glass of wine and the odd chocolate – small one!

Burgers in restaurants are my pet hates, as they come with loads of chips and a huge bread roll. I’ve occasionally had to choose the veggie burger as the only option. I can’t resist some chips, but leave the bread.

Are you enjoying some lovely warm weather there now? Last night was the first really cold one here. I’ll miss my OH tonight as he’s going up to daughter’s house to be there while her new boiler is fitted. I’ll need a hot water bottle!

OH’s do have their uses don’t they Polly! Mine is like a furnace. 😊

We have temps now in the low 20’s but been having a very strong cold wind for some reason. A little bit warmer would be nice!

Glad you’re back on track with your eating habits.

You’re right about fast food and obesity Purple. I sometimes feel quite ill watching what people stuff into their mouths. πŸŸπŸŒ­πŸ•πŸ©

Inspires me to fast Carol!
    Our spring has been weird. We had 36C last week, then experienced the coldest November weekend in 11 years…lit the fire, dug out the jumpers. So changeable, it’s hard to know what to wear.
    I also appreciate Mr P’s body heat in winter, but push him away in summer!!! πŸ™„
    Fasted Sunday this week, so had a rare eating Monday today. Funny….it doesn’t feel like Monday without a fast ☺☺P

Hi Everyone, I’ve been in maintenance for 5 months maintaining between 127 and 130…I would like to Try to get down to 122 so I can have a bigger maintenance window so I’m going to try doing 4:3 by eating one meal on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and two meals on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

Go for it, Brenda. Anything you can cut out on your Slow Days which will reduce your calorie intake?

As for burgers in restaurants: have you ever asked for a ‘lettuce roll’? Its the same burger, with whatever toppings, but it is wrapped in lettuce. Sure the lettuce wilts, but you don’t have to eat that huge roll.
    At home, when we have burgers, we use ‘slider buns’ for the roll [90-100 calories] and use ground bison for the meat. Of course not everyone can get bison meat. So another thing to do is to mix your ground meat with blueberries. Add some Worcestershire sauce and mustard, form into patties, and you have reduced the fat and calories/ burger deliciously.

Today’s weigh-in was another mess: the scales registered 5 different weights — everything from 3 pounds down to 1/2 pound down, none of which is believable; none replicatible. So no idea what I weigh today. Not obsessing, just annoyed at the scale.

For Fasting today: Raclette Bake with blueberries on the side. Tonight will be the Pear & Bleu Cheese Salad again. What a way to go!! Got to get below my wiggle room as we leave for San Francisco this week to visit some cousins and our #1 Son & #1 D-i-L. Travel can be broadening.

I’m going to eat less carbs during the week and I’m sure that will help. Tonight I will be having LC Waffles with maple bacon sausage.

I don’t eat bison but I have a freezer full of venison 😊 and at the restaurant I will ask for the bun on the side and just take it home in a doggy bag.

Welcome BL
    We find 4:3 very effective. Cutting out carbs is always the easiest way to improve the diet.
    As to burgers…we basically don’t eat them. However, when travelling, with nothing else on offer, it is easy to just leave the buns and eat the rest. (Btw, not a lot of bison in Aus…we do have ‘roo though )

“Travel can be broadening “!!!! Love it! That goes in the quote list FM. πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒP

No bison here lol but that’s a great idea about having a lettuce burger. I occasionally make burgers for Friday night tea – Friday nights are what I call one pot nights – not a lot of trouble or effort required.

Of course my burgers are always healthy but the burger bun is a bit of an issue. There’s something about having to get your mouth around that big, tasty mess isn’t there! I usually have only half the bun but a slider is definitely a good option, thanks for the tip and the one about the blueberries too Fastingme. Do you use fresh or dried blueberries? I nearly always include dried blueberries in a salad when I make it, they taste yummy. I got into that habit after visiting Canada, noticing how tasty their salads were and noted they always included some fruit in the salad. A bit like the pear and cheese salad I guess, which is an all time favourite of mine. 😊

Brenda, do you use the myfitnesspal app and record what you eat? That can sometimes show you areas where you may want to make changes. i second what Purple said about cutting out carbs, just don’t eat anything white. Most of us maintainers have what we call wriggle room weights and trigger point weights. We set two maximum weights and aim to keep between them – the wriggle room. You can definitely do it, perseverance!

Fasting me I think you need new scales. Mine started weighing erratically so I put in a new battery but that didn’t help so bought new scales even though I didn’t think the first pair were that old but new ones work perfectly. Enjoy San Fran and hopefully no broadening for you! I still remember (lust after) the most fantastic breakfast place and a bakery we went to in San Fran. Yum!

Oh, friends, I’ve been a little piggy this Afternoon! After ironing, I rewarded myself with one if the snack size Crunchies – then another one – and then yet Another! It was a case of eating because they were there and a measure of boredom.

Hi, Brenda. You sound pretty slim anyway. I wouldn’t worry too much. I find a 3lb wriggle room works for me, yes, generally avoiding carbs. .

…and Crunchies, Pol! Confession is good for the soul, and falling off the wagon occcasionally good for morale! No fret – you know how to sort it, and you will: hope you enjoyed every bite! (Now go and hide the rest – if there are any more…)

Welcome, Brenda. You’ll see you’re not signing up to sinlessnperfection, just a gang of mates helping one another..

There are two left, fast! 😜

Yum…!

Thanks for the welcome Everyone 😊
    I use myfitnesspal for my OMAD moral support but I don’t log any meals.

I lost 1 pound this week and I’m excited to see what I lose next week without any splurge days 😊

Well done BL.
    How about thinking of them as fast and eat, rather than splurge, days? ☺☺P

Polly, reading about your discrepancy πŸ˜„ makes me feel so much better about my own!!

Back from our West Coast trip. Great visit with Cousins and our son/D-I-L. Bathroom scales wacko today: after a low-calorie Fast Day yesterday, I’m either down 3# or up 2#…. ODH shows similar rise. Of course we did have some super food in California. We’ll see tomorrow.

Carolann: We use fresh or frozen blueberries. They have less sugar/berry than dried ones. Plus, we have lots in the freezer. The bathroom scale does that to me once in a while — can’t figure out why. And then it behaves itself again.

Brenda: good news on the weight loss. Keep up the good work.

Pol, what is a Crunchie?

Hasenpfeffer tonight, chicken fricassee with dumplings tomorrow.
    Have a great week, Everyone.

Thanks fastingme. I always have berries in the freezer too so will give it a try.

We visit our son in Canada regularly and I love the way Canadians do their salads – they always add a bit of fruit. If I haven’t got suitable fresh fruit on hand I often throw in half a handful of craisins or dried blueberries – they add a delicious contrast!

Bay put me on to grated apple, shredded purple cabbage and mayo as a simple salad. Add carrots etc. Tasty and keeps. I also use mago and avo often with leafy salads. Mmmm….

I had to look thrice at your mago, P πŸ™‚ Yum indeed. Unfortunately we don’t grow them here.

I’m another that keeps the blueberries in the freezer for instant use!

Fasting_me, a Crunchie is a chocolate bar, hokey pokey (honeycomb) on the inside and chocolate on the outside.

It’s a very slow day at work today, hence the time to post. Tomorrow will be a bit more relaxing – 24-hour train strike, so town will be gridlocked with commuter vehicles. I will take the day off, sleep in (I hope – it’s been a horrible week so far) and watch the return football match from Peru.

I did a 48-hour fast from Sunday night, still trying to shift those two kgs.

Stubborn little b*****s aren’t they Barata? I’m still working on mine from NZ. Easy on, much harder off. πŸ˜‘
    Mangoes and avos are grown so extensively here these days, they are cheap and available much of the year. The advantage of living in a huge, diverse (climatically) country.
    Our Yes vote on marriage equality today has the country whooping with joy. We’ll catch up with the rest of the world eventually πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ‘«πŸ‘¬πŸ‘­

You’ll always be a few hours behind us, P πŸ™‚

Glad (sorry) to know you are also still above your wriggle room – that I’m not alone, I mean. Our avacado orchards are growing by the year, we export them now, but they are still expensive off-season. We don’t have your diversity of climate.

That salad sounds great Purple, will give that a try next time!

I hope your 48 hour fast pays off for you Barata. 😊

FD here, Carol, so still working on it, thanks πŸ™‚

Peru 2 : New Zealand 0 – so the dream is over, but a valiant attempt. Well done, Australia!

We are on a roll…Yes vote for marriage equality, Socceroos get into the World Cup and State Parliament discussing euthanasia.
    Sorry about NZ Barata πŸ˜‘
    Post fast headache..I can never work out what causes it, but it usually indicates a good fast. 😐 P

Not lack of salt?

No, because the fast was yesterday. Although,I didn’t have salt in the late afternoon yesterday. Drugs have work though πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰ P

Sorry, don’t get your last sentence, P…

Paracetamol!

Hooray for marriage equality! Good job.
    Purple, do you get a headache because you go from no calories to lots of [not tons, but some] calories? Could it be a sugar spike?
    Barats, tnx for the translation of Crunchie. Just love the term ‘hokey-pokey’ for honeycomb. I wonder if that is what we call ‘molasses rough’….. Hope you lost the weight you wanted.

Yay! I lost 1 pound yesterday, getting me back to my comfort zone. today’s Fast should complete it, I hope, and get me to the low end of my wiggle room. Our Son Version 2.0 arrives Saturday to spend 10 days with us over Thanksgiving. We have certain foods which we eat on the 4 days before Thanksgiving and 3 days after. And then there is The Feast. But 2 of those days will be Fast Days, so that should mitigate it a bit… but it is still an ‘eatathon’.

Today we ate a Flamenco ScrOmelette for breakfast and for dinner we polished off the Chicken Fricassee which comes in under 300 calories even with the dumpling!! Wahoo.

Luckily FM, I’ve never been a sweet tooth. A pigout for me is a handful of salted cashews (which I’m having right now ☺)
    It turns out half the family had headaches, so it could be the pollen /hay fever πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘ .
    Still too heavy. 😣 It’s a good thing I always weigh daily to keep tabs on it ☺☺P

Purple, I always have a headache on FD, no idea why, severity has diminished over time though.

I’m enjoying a wine! 🍾

Moi aussi! Friday night πŸ˜™πŸ·

Hello, everyone. I love the hokey-pokey name. It’s cinder toffee here. But – no more Crunchies for me!

I’m struggling a bit. I suspect portion size creep and we’ve been in Liverpool for two days, so eating out and drinking, of course. Just 3/4lb over top wriggle room.

We enjoyed the first of the Autumn internationals last week, PVE. Of course, Australia won, but Wales tried some different tactics and it was a fast game. I was there in 2008 the last time we beat Oz. It’s got too expensive to go to every game now. We are going to the South Africa game, though, my least favourite, unfortunately. These have been the only unpleasant supporters I’ve ever encountered.

Barata, forget about soccer: you still rule the world in the best sport – rugby!

Pol. πŸ‰πŸ‰πŸ‰

We just planned most of the dinners for December. Had to fit in all our favorite holiday/saved-for-December foods. It is nice to have that done in advance. Some of the dinners [and some breakfast breads] are made in advance and put in the freezer to pull out later: a real time-saver before Christmas. Now I’ll plan the Fast Day meals so that there will be no surprises. Since Christmas is on a Monday this year, we will Fast on Boxing Day instead. Since our Thanksgiving is on a Thursday, we will Fast on the day before. And boy oh boy will we need those Fast Days!!!

Have a good weekend. We look forward to our son’s arrival in a few hours. Must do some tidying and food prep.

Sorry, but what is this obsession with Christmas? It’s not even Advent yet! I’ve spent 30 years having to think about festivals months in advance for professional reasons, and now that I no longer need to, I want to enjoy my festivals, (and I do enjoy them!) as well as my food, seasonally, please. And I hate the way cooking for Christmas is made into a mega deal, as if we were all Stepford wives with nothing else to think about and sole responsibility for nourishing an army for a month – and as if it actually had to be complicated! . Sorry, but at this point I think One Grumpy Old Woman is going under the duvet until it feels appropriate to come out…..

My ODH and I like food a lot. We both cook well and we enjoy ‘reading’ cookbooks. Over 43 years we devised the strategy of planning meals a week or two ahead to avoid eating the default food of young marrieds: chicken breast, ground beef, carry-out pizza. So we have different categories of foods for every day of the week, just to mix it up, and within those categories we have a dozen options from which to choose.
    Our younger son said that NO ONE plans food the way we do.
    I plan the Fast Day menus, having 2 file boxes of cards from which to choose breakfasts and dinners, different ones for Mondays vs. Thursdays.
    For the month of December, there are 9 dinners which we want to have, some on particular days [Gulyas for St Nicholas Day; Salmon Pieroski while we decorate the tree on St Lucy Day; seafood chowder on Christmas Eve], and others that we just like an associate with the Christmas season [my sister’s meatless pasta; tortiere; lamb stew]. So we plan and we look forward to eating these meals with gusto.
    Sorry that your former occupation has soured you festival planning in advance, Barata. You have your duvet, I have my cookies and celebratory foods in the oven.
    To each her own!

Nothing sour about it, F-M. (And it’s FFS here, btw, not Barata – wouldn’t want her lumbered with a reputation as a GOW) – I love it all, just at the proper time! And I agree that planning ahead can be key – and fun: I normally work out meals for the week ahead each weekend, and find it helps with budgeting (time, money and waste!) as well as weight maintenance, and adds to anticipation of good meals to come. God bless the fridge and freezer! . I just find the biggest obstacle to full enjoyment of celebrations is being pressured to start them long before they arrive. As you say: to each her own – you can rest assured I’ll celebrate with the best when the time is ripe. Enjoy your cookies!

Thank you, dear Polly πŸ™‚ And another scrambled win under our collective belts this morning. Our boys in white certainly played well – three hours against a team rated about 110 above them, and they only conceded two goals. And that was after strange delays in both aeroplane and bus, locals setting off fireworks at 2am before the match, and a fly-past at dawn by airforce jets. Don’t tell me that was not government sanctioned.

Yup, not me under the duvet, Fasting_me. I only wish – have been awake since 3.30 this morning, watching four episodes of a local comedy/drama back-to-back. I agree with your son – I cannot imagine anyone planning to your level! And I don’t have a former occupation as I am still gainfully employed.

We are currently booking our stay in Australia from Boxing Day, will spend a few days exploring Canberra between son’s place in Sydney, and back to S for OH’s birthday with the family, and to collect grandson for a few days before we bring him home for a week or two. Will be in touch soon, Bay.

Good morning from a sunny Cumbria

Seems I have not posted anything here since early September – I’m active on the monthly challenges which is a busy thread but I have been lurking here just not posting.

Great to hear that you are doing well and enjoying life.

Still happily maintaining around 1kg below target – happy days! Although recently I seem to have had several feasting days and so ending up doing more 4:3 weeks to stay in control……I still weigh weekly after my last FD of the week which is often a Friday allowing for some 🍷🍷 on the weekend!

Life has been busy but great – OH and I celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary recently πŸ’‘
    DD passed her driving test on her first attempt and has bought herself an old Ford Fiesta and is now spending half her time here and half at her BF’s house about 1hr drive away and has also gone to full time at work and is very happy – I’m so relieved that everything has worked out so well for her.

My friend with the cancer is nearing the end of her chemotherapy now and is doing OK with some reduction in tumour size in her lungs but liver seems to be the same – repeat scans no spread elsewhere which is good news – I’m popping down south for a pre xmas visit at the end of the month for a proper catchup and hugs. Busy schedule there already with lots of coffee, lunch and dinner get togethers with various friends so planning on staying with 4:3 until then but less feasting on the NFD in order to give me a bigger wriggle room I hope πŸ˜‰

Whilst I have been away from the forum we were robbed, luckily they were disturbed by OH getting up for the loo we think?? and our car was the main loss which they then smashed into a tree a couple of days later following a police chase – The police responded promptly to our call and have been brilliant keeping us informed of progress – the culprit is in jail awaiting trial for our case and other thefts he committed……
    I also have to say that our Bank,House and Car Insurance all came up trumps. My handbag was also taken including my bank cards which were used – bank refunded all the money into my account within 2 working days and the insurance arranged for our house locks to be changed and we were given a fair value for the car – we are now the proud owners of a lovely new car – a little Audi A1 πŸš— great fun to drive feels very sporty and very different to our old VW Golf

I feel very 🀭about the whole event as I was the last one to bed that night and I did not lock the front door on my way up to bed…..we live on a very quiet residential street with no through traffic and often left the front door unlocked and they just walked in……….but no more – it is always locked whether we are in the house or not, lesson well learnt……..it could have been so much worse 😌

On a brighter note I have now booked my flight to Melbourne on 14/1 – my sister’s older girl is getting married on the 20/1 and I would not miss the wedding for anything – staying for 3 weeks. Also planning a second visit to my old home for end of April when niece No 2 gets married – expensive start to the year but will give me much pleasure – going on my own so will be able to catch up with old friends and family.

I see @barata is also heading to Australia – just a bit of a shorter flight for you – that is the only bit I hate flying from UK to Aust.

Right I’m now off to meet a friend for 6 mile walk followed by a light lunch.

Hope everyone is having a fab weekend – Life is Good – Enjoy

Good to hear from you, AT. what a time you’ve had. You were very lucky that your insurance paid up as you’d not locked the front door! Enjoy the new car, then. And you have a trip to Australia to look forward to. Great!

Congratulations on wedding anniversary, too.

Pol 🍷

AT, happy anniversary. How dreadful about your robbery. Very glad the insurances all paid up. I was a tad confused when you said that “all the insurances came up trumps” — in my country that isn’t a word we use often anymore…..:)

Sorry, Barata. Sorry, Fast. There I go again, insulting people on an international stage. What was your occupation, Fast? This is our Thanksgiving week, also involving certain foods for certain days. All under control. #2 Son is home for 12 days, which is wonderful. He eats our Fast Day foods without complaint and indeed usually with compliments.

Fast Day today for us: Smoked Salmon/Leek Baked Eggs for breakfast and Thai Butternut Squash Soup for dinner.

AT. Congratulations on your anniversary. The years fly by, don’t they? We just clocked up 46.
    We were robbed some years ago but it still angers me. The front door was smashed in. The place ransacked. Many precious, and not so precious, items taken. The insurance company paid an absolute minimum and took many months to agree to much of it. It was a very upsetting experience.I spent a lot of time visiting pawn shops looking for my jewellery. An old tv they had stolen turned up years later.
    The main thing I learnt was that possessions are nothing. People are everything. And none of my family were hurt.
    I hope you get over it. P

Hello

Yes very lucky @pollypenny – the insurance did not even query that – apparently as we were in the house it was not deemed to be an issue – they even paid for my handbag and it’s contents….😌
    @fasting_me – sorry about that – had not crossed my mind but now that you mention it…….I never have breakfast anymore whether a FD or NFD – on FD I eat only once, in the evening usually and on NFD I tend to have brunch and an evening meal – I’m so glad I found this WOL!!!!
    @purple-vegie-eater – yes we were definitely lucky – I actually slept through it all – we did not realise we had been robbed until OH got up the next day – he is an early riser – we could not believe that we had not heard anything – they walked through the downstairs of our house because my handbag was next to my chair in the sitting area we have at the back of the house. OH had got up to use the loo and we think they heard him moving about upstairs and got out promptly as they left laptops and other valuables!!! We were just relieved that we were not attacked but as you say it leaves a bad taste – I had to scrub everywhere clean as it felt dirty even though they had not damaged anything……

Had a brilliant yoga class this evening – worked hard but felt empowered – back home and enjoyed a light supper so today is a very controlled day coming in under 1000cals ☺️

Thank you for your good wishes for our anniversary – OH and I are so lucky to have each other and enjoying life to the full together.

A very drizzly Cumbrian day for us here but not cold – Hoping for a drier day tomorrow……..

β€œRivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.” Winnie the Pooh

Welcome back AT, missed your posts as they are always so positive but sorry to hear of your experience with the burglars.

I think if that had happened to us my experience would have been similar to Purple’s with the insurance company. They seem very reluctant to pay out on anything!

We were broken into once years ago but police thought itwaskids as nothing really taken. Assumption was they were looking for money.

I fret about my jewellery all the time. I have it hidden all over the house and it’s a pain looking for it when I want to wear something in particular. It’s not a particularly valuable collection but a lot of sentiment attached to many pieces and I would be devastated to lose any of it.

My industrial designer son is home for Xmas and I’m going to ask him for some ideas on how and where I could hide it safely. I’ve thought about a safe but don’t know where I’d put it. I think they need to be cemented in to be useful and these days thieves are so resourceful if anyone broke in they’d probably have a blow torch with them! 😊

Viewing 50 posts - 9,551 through 9,600 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.