The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,501 through 9,550 (of 11,673 total)

• We are doing the reverse seasonal change, FM. The days are glorious, with enough of a drop at night to allow sleep. Prepping the pool and visiting the beach are my spring activities now.
    We’ve had almost no rain in months, so my pathetic veg patches will not yeild much. I envy your apple trees ☺
    Very easy to fast in this mild weather. Have a good weekend MCs. P

Beautiful Autumn here, with lovely days and night which are not too cold either. I’m impressed with your garden, fasting. Yesterday I turned down a load of cooking apples. I don’t want the temptation of making pies or chutney.

Where are you based in the winter, fasting?

We’ve finished planning our Golden Wedding celebration, which will happen next Friday. I was a child bride!
    There’re been a few pangs, thinking we should have asked so and do, but I stuck to original though – only ask those we want. So it’s our rugby club, buffet and music, chat and a table quiz on 1967.

Congratulations to you both as you celebrate your Golden Wedding, Pol. Back in 1967 while you were a child bride, I was busy misspending my youth. Happy days πŸ™‚

I was busy falling in love. Great year, 1967 πŸ’•

Test post, because I think I’ve inadvertently unsubscribed. Watch this space!

Test received! ☺
    Monday, fast day here….lots of washing and cleaning ahead ☺☺☺P

Glad you’re still with us, fast!

There’s the most peculiar light here today. The sun is orange, like on a beautiful sunset, but it’s shrouded in mist. Very eerie. Tried to take a photograph, but it doesn’t capture the effect at all.
    Hope no one will feel the effects of Hurricane Ophelia.

Polly, are you still with us or has Ophelia wiped out your part of Wales? Hope you survived it well.
    Happy Anniversary. 50 years is a wonderful long time to spend with the person you love. My ODH and I are at 43 and counting.

Had a regular Fast Breakfast [marinated herring, Finn Crisp crackers, raspberries, fruit smoothie, blackish coffee] and then went out for Dinner after ODH’s doctor’s appointment. Gained only 2/10 of pound, so I’d call that successful. Today, a regular Tuesday Breakfast of coffeecake, yogurt, back bacon, etc., then the Fast Dinner we would have had yesterday: Eggs Pancho Villa. Delicious, by the way.

Has anyone noticed a ‘lag’ in weight change? Sometimes the day after a Fast Day, I weight the same. And the next day I’m down 3/4 pound. Same goes the other way: pig out but it doesn’t show until 2 days later…

I have found that lag sometimes, fasting_me. In fact after Monday’s fast I put ON 100gms. πŸ™

Still lurking and reading, FFS. Busy month at work, trying to improve my sleeping pattern but had a great weekend, three nights without a break.

Yes, I have that lag too. I usually lose weight the day after fasting and then just as much the next day. I have had periods though where didn’t lose first day and then a smallish loss the next.
    I think it’s all just normal lol!

Hi, everyone. No real problems from Ophelia in North East Wales, thank goodness. I was convened about two of our trees which are awaiting their regular haircut appointment. The oak was due last year but Gareth Trees said it didn’t need anything – of course it’s grown a lot since.

What you say about lag is interesting. I’ve had that too, in fact I seem to waving wildly by a couple of pounds.

Barata, I’ve slept better in the last week, since I turned the clock-radio away from me. Although its light was turned low, I suspect it was still having an effect.

We need a strict regime today, as I envisage a few days of eating out. Brother in law arrives tomorrow, our do Friday, the actual date on Saturday, then we have to take son up to Manchester to fly to Switzerland. He arrives from the States Friday morning. Can’t wait.

Hi All – yes, Baraja, still lurking, still reading: just feeling I’ve already said most of anything useful I have to contribute. Don’t want my name to be greeted with a communal mental β€˜la la la, heard it…..’!

But yes, still here and maintaining within a window of a couple of pounds above/below ideal weight, and able to cope with the occasional indulgence (portion of β€˜dirty’ fries yesterday, anyone? Shall probably never do it again, but had to try them just once…) so very happy. And yes, I too get the lag; it’s fiine these days because I’m aware of its existence, though in the past I’ve sometimes panicked unnecessarily, or assumed I’ve got off Scot free with overeating, only to realise later that I needed a compensatory extra FD. So we older hands are doing new maintainers a favour by being around to raise awareness!

Re sleep, I’m realising for the first time in 70+ years why, despite being able to sleep for long periods, I can count on my fingers the times I’ve woken feeling refreshed and raring to greet the day. New Fitbit explains what, and neurologist why, it is that however long I sleep I very rarely get to the β€˜deep sleep’ stage.fascinating, but since there’s not a lot to be done about it, I’m not sure it’s really helping to know. For lots of people having trouble dropping off/staying asleep, all the standard things (which I do do) – regular bedtime, cool room, warm bath, gradual wind down banish phones, Tv etc – are genuinely helpful, but not sure how one influences quality and depth of sleep, especially when health is conspiring against them.

Keep swapping the tips, people – perhaps I’m not as far beyond my sell-by as I thought… sleep tight/have a good day, as appropriate…

G’day Fast. Good to hear from you. ☺
    Now, how about Bay? I’m wearing the silk top today that I bought the day we first met 4 years ago. 😊 The reality is, we long termers need to stay around to reassure the newbies that what they are experiencing is well within normal.
    Keep contributing folk. P

Ok P, point taken!will return to (pleasurable!) duty…Good to be back on board.

Good to have you back 😊😊

Hi P
    Still here and lurking. Travelling by train across Oz. In Adelaide by the sea having wine cheese and a good time. 😁😁🌸🌸

Thanks to all posters who pass on the experience to newbies. 😁😁🌺🌺

Sounds great Bay. We did a similar trip by road recently. It’s a wonderful HUGE land, isn’t it? Are you managing to maintain? P

One more time, Happy Anniversary to Polly and her Husband on 50 years. Glad Ophelia didn’t get int he way of celebrating. Glad your son from Princeton will be there too.

Fast, have you tried catnip tea to help you to sleep? It has worked for everyone I’ve recommended it to.

The weight lag really showed up this week: gained 1 pound for no reason, then lost 1.2 pounds even tho eating ‘normally’! Breakfast today: Roasted Augergine and Tomato ScrOmelette with pears on the side. Dinner tonight: Salad with pears, walnuts, greens, and bleu cheese, with balsamic dressing. Oh, Yum.

Heve a great day. Autumn is gorgeous here.

Snap! I picked up a bag of pears at a market last weekend and have been including them in dishes all week. I also made that pear salad using the abundant harvest of rocket from the garden, except I toasted the walnuts and threw in a little spare panchetta. The result was very flavoursome walnuts. We’ve also had them as dessert with plain yoghurt, pistachios and cinnamon.
    Talking of blue cheese, I’ve taken up dobbing a little on top of crispy skinned salmon. It makes a wonderful, simple sauce.
    All part of my philosophy…if I can’t eat much quantity any more, then it must be top quality. P 😊

It all sounds like truly top quality, both of you – wonderful riposte to those who tell us earnestly that they β€˜love food too much’ to do IF. My reply is always that I love it so much that I take nutrition and its enjoyment very seriously, and care deeply about what goes into my body, in what quantities, and when…

Thanks for the catnip tip, f-me. Worth a try, though the problem isn’t actually sleep per se, but a neurological movement disorder which means my limbs and muscles are in more or less permanent and often violent motion. Exhausting and a major Nuisance, but more so because it continues even when asleep, which is what prevents the deeper levels of sleep. (And no, sadly, wine doesn’t affect the symptoms, despite P’s correct understanding that it heals most ills!). But thanks for the helpful intent.

End of another fast day: don’t they come round fast! But these days I really miss them if they need to be skipped or swapped – my brain knows it’s possible, but my body is definitely not convinced!

Sorry to hear of your continued medical issues Fast. I wish I could help πŸ˜‘
    I’ve just reread a book on the OED writing and was just thinking about the many meanings of ‘fast’. The fast woman held fast to her belief in the advantages of a good fast as she drove her fast car.
    Mr P is in hospital, recovering from elective surgery. As he is a recovered diabetic (thanks 5:2), he was given “diabetic food”…including a load of white rice, white bread and ‘diet’ cordial. And they call these oeople ‘dieticians’? Good grief!!! P

Thanks, P: not really a medical issue in the β€˜illness’ sense; more a lifelong Nuisance disability which has worsened in middle age but is basically just part of life. Every time I go to the neuro hospital I give thanks that this is the condition I drew from the lottery, and not some of the others I see around me in other patients. So all good.

My best wishes to Mr P. Hope he will recover well, and not be in hospital too long – get him home ASAP for some proper food! The ignorance of experts no longer amazes…

Thanks Fast. He is just eating around the rubbish. πŸ™„
    If your situation has worsened in ‘middle’ age, perhaps when you get to ‘old’ ago it will disappear? 😊😊
    It’s raining properly for the first time in about 4 months here this morning. I might just stay in bed, stretched out, and listen to the rain on the roof. It’s
    wonderful! 😁😁

Sounds like a wonderfully cosy recreation of childhood. Enjoy!

That condition sounds decidedly unpleasant Fast, so sorry you have to deal with that. Life is a lottery isn’t it 😞

Morning, everyone. We’ve survived our celebrations. Friday night, the ‘do’, was brilliant. Who’d have believed our rugby club could have been transformed as it wast? Our very informal speech went better than I ever imagined, as we,did a totally unplanned double act and had everyone laughing.

As often happens with one’s own function, I ate very little there, but I made up for it on Saturday, when our son took us out for lunch and yesterday, when exhaustion led to total slob-out. Baguette and cheese, ice cream and wine. Plus a lage slice of the cake. Weight still okay, though at 127lbs to my surprise.

I was sooo tired yesterday. Up at 6 on Friday to collect the boy from airport, then needed a nap in the day, but brother-in-law arrived and stayed fir hours in spite of hints. Friday night was Saturday morning, of course, but then couldn’t sleep as brain was buzzing. To cap it all BIL arrived at our house at 9pm on Saturday, just when my dear friend was leaving.

Sorry for the long self-centred post! Hope your OH, is improving PVE. It’s strange that you can enjoy the rain – we’ve had more than enough of it! I’m going to pinch your toasted walnut idea.

Fast, I’m sorry to hear about your condition, too. Exhausting for you. Carol has it in one about life as a lottery.

Pol πŸ’πŸΌ

Congratulations Pol and Mr Pol πŸ’“ It sounds like a wonderful celebration.
    Mr P is fairing well. He has a lovely livein nurse. πŸ˜‰ Lots of fish and veg to build him up but not weigh him down ☺☺P

Congratulations Polly, sounds like you had a wonderful time!

So pleased Mr P is getting the nursing care he deserves Purple! Great help around these days! πŸ˜·πŸ˜‰

PS hope your fast is going well. Mine’s OK but I am hungry!! Just prepared my brekkie/brunch for tomorrow (that always gives me pleasure on a FD)!

He’s married to the nurse Carol! πŸ˜‰

Oh, again I wish we could do quotations! I love your last comments, PVE! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    Thanks for your good wishes!

Fast, give the catnip tea a couple of tries. It might quiet those restless legs. Not fun for you.

Polly, the celebration sounded wonderful. Fun for all. Do it again next year — none of us is getting younger. Every 10 years my ODH and I return to the hotel where we honeymooned. This year [our 43rd] I put in a bid for going on our 45th as well as our 50th. At our age, why not?

I’m sure Nurse Purple is doing and excellent job as coach, cheerleader, and dietician. Hoping for his speedy recovery.

Today: “Maritime Bake”– eggs flavored with salt cod, Summer Savory, mashed potatoes, and cheese; then baked. Easy and yummy. Tonight the old standby: Roasted Salmon with Tomatoes and Green Beans. One of our favorites.

Hope you each had a happy Fast Day.

Purple I knew that lol! Was a tongue in cheek comment. πŸ˜‰

I thought you did 😊
    Fast days going out the window at present, but low carb small portion eating taking priority. P

Good morning, just skimming under top wriggle room today for some reason – and it’s my weight recording day. Since my cake on Sunday and ice cream on Tuesday I’ve been careful.

We collected Β£400 for Great Ormond Street Hospital from our ‘do’, as we’d said no presents. Pretty pleased.

Hope everyone is ticking over well.

Pol πŸ’πŸΌ

Last Saturday we hosted our annual Oktoberfest: 3 entrees, 4 sides, beer, Riesling, German Pretzels as a starter, Bavarian Cream for dessert. Next day: 1/2 pound up. Next day: 1 more pound up! Then a blessed Fast Day, and down. “Normal” weight for past 2 days. Whew!

Tomorrow: Hasenpfeffer ScrOmelette for breakfast. Baltic Bake for dinner. Must behave.

Good job, Pol, on your charity earnings.

So Happy, Purple and anyone else who does the 36 hour FD did you notice a change in weight patterns when you went from 24 hr to 36 hr?

I have become paranoid about the fact I thought I was putting on weight so sat down and spent some time plotting onto a graph my weight each day since I started the 36hr FD in August.

What I see is a dramatic loss the two days post fast with Wednesday being my lowest day (I fast Monday’s only) and then a gradual creep up until by Monday morning I can be anywhere between 59 and 60. 59 is my first trigger point, 60 is my very serious trigger point 😊

When I was doing the 24hr fast it was a slow gradual loss most of the week with Thursday being the lowest weight day and quite often I would be the same weight 2-3 days in a row.

I know I’m anal but I thought maybe I was gradually putting on some weight and wanted to catch it early. It seems I’m not but the different loss pattern made me feel like I was.

Just curious as to what others have noticed.

One more thing – as we age I think it’s normal to get a ‘tummy’ right? I’m 67 and that’s something else I’ve noticed in the past few months too.

Wow, the Oktoberfest sounds wonderful, fasting-me. I worry about gradual creep up of indulgence, too. But I was thinking of something you’d all posted about a few weeks ago – namely a sort of lagging weight gain.

We’d found ourselves with loads of cheeses and breads, orange juice etc for visitors over the weekend of our do. We ended up eating most of it ourselves. Strangely, it wasn’t until days later that I was just 4oz under top wriggle room.

Carol, I’ve never tried 24hr fast let alone 36! Can’t comment. However, I think most women have a bit of a tummy, not just we oldies. Do you remember panti-girdles and roll-ons? Some if those hold you in pants just push the flab over the top – hence muffin top.

OH did his usual – bought loads of small chocolates for Halloween, but we had no callers. Now they’re sitting in the cupboard calling my name!

Barata, are you happy with the election results?

Hi Carol
    I’ve never done a proper 36 hour (no food ) fast. I normally do 24 hours without food, then about 400-500 cals, then another 16 hours. I need to eat in order to sleep at night.
    These days I rarely experience a sudden drop in weight, even after fasts. More a control of weight gain. Mind you, I’m nor nearly as strict these days and have been skipping a lot of full fasts lately. More half fasts πŸ˜‘. I’m sitting at the top of my wriggle room, but not too stressed by it. I find as soon as I put on any weight it goes straight to my tummy. Very frustrating, but a reality. As long as we monitor, I think we can stay within healthy range. ☺☺P

Hi all

Polly, I have just popped in to catch up with the posts, and see my name πŸ™‚ Yes, I am pleased with the result, most unexpected. I think we will see progress to a better country now, lots of steps already being taken to provide better services in health and justice, education etc., lots to do, though.

I have been awake since 4, so have got up to make sandwiches for lunch. My three brothers are in town with respective wives, and we are all going to Kapiti Island overnight. It’s a local predator-free nature reserve with limited public access and accommodation, and I am so looking forward to being awakened tomorrow morning with the dawn chorus – birdsong as it used to be before all the predators were introduced to our beautiful land.

We four have been trying to remember when we were last together, and decided it was for our sister’s funeral fifteen years ago! And we have never all been together with partners, as we are scattered around the globe. So a special occasion, just hoping the weather is as kind as it has been for the last week. But rain and wind forecast πŸ™

Him Barata. Your get-together sounds wonderful. Have a great time.

Pol. πŸ‘πŸ·πŸΊ

Enjoy your family get together and Kapti Barata ☺

What a special occasion Barata! Sounds wonderful!

Purple, I hear what you say about the hunger at bed time. I don’t have trouble getting to sleep funnily enough but it’s when I wake up for a wee during the night – oh boy, I am starving then! If I don’t wake til 4 30 ish the hunger has disappeared by then but usually it’s before that time and so often I’ve been tempted to have something to eat but have resisted!

Re your weight being stable – perhaps you’ve reached a new set point and I think that’s what’s now happened with me. All the time now I am between 58.4 and 59 and gain weight over the weekend and can be between 59 and 60 by the morning of FD. I very rarely go below that weight these days whereas being below 58.4 used to a common occurrence.

I am happy with where I am and really what difference does 200 or 300 grams make but I am hooked on what those scales say lol!

Have a good weekend. We have finally got some spring weather although had a massive hailstorm during the week! 😳

How lovely that Barata got to get together with her sibs. That is a fine thing to do at our age. My ODH recently expressed an urge to visit with his brother, which I second. We see his sister annually, and made a point to visit the eldest brother last Spring with the sister in tow. Eldest has dementia and is declining. Anyhow, I have but one sister whom I visit once or twice/year. What I like to do best is to visit my first cousins. Have lost 3 in the past several years and want to see them more than ever.

Glad to know I wasn’t making it up about the weight lag. Just shows that it is not simply what is in your stomach that adds the weight, it is what’s ON the stomach. And the hips. And the thighs.

Carol, yes the Tummy is a real thing. Part of it is due to weight but part of it is due to hormones. My son with the PhD explained that it is caused by less estrogen, hence a change in our estrogen/testosterone balance. Without the mitigating estrogen, the testosterone causes fat to deposit under the skin of the belly. Not the same as inside the muscle wall of the belly, which is the evil ‘Belly Fat.” He says it is similar to a man’s ‘beer gut’ but without the beer. My MD says you really can’t do much about it, although I notice that it is minimized when I am at my lower weights.

Good Fast Day today, I think, ‘tho I came in to it at a low weight, so I don’t expect to lose much. I’m pretty happy where I am.

Huge storm earlier this week: stripped the leaves off the trees, tore off branches, downed power lines and left 1000s without electricity. We were without for 14 hours. Then on for 45 mins, then off for 2 more hours. Not a big problem for us, but the road was washed out up the hill and some still are in the dark.

Mmm..a wine belly? Sounds great!! P

If that makes the tiny tummy more palatable, go for it, P! Wine does not seem to affect my weight much, I’m happy to say.

Thanks, ladies. We had a great time, and although the weather did throw down a bit of the wet stuff we were able to avoid most of it. The island was made a nature reserve 100 years ago this year, and a vast amount of work has been done to remove all the predators so that birds could be re-introduced in a safe environment.

It’s a trip I have been wanting to do for years, so it was a special occasion in many ways. The glamping was a success, the morning chorus woke me at 5.30, and the food was delicious! Only my younger brother made it to the top of the island (the rest of us went most of the way) and he reported back on howling wind and no view because of the cloud. So 20,000 steps on Friday, and nearly as many yesterday when we took several more walks. No damage weight-wise, but back to fasting tomorrow.

I still have one brother in town, barbeque tonight and five loads of washing through, some still drying on the line.

I’m currently reading Gary Taubes’ Diet Dilemma, and although it’s taking some wading through it is making lots of sense.

Ooh, glamping in a nature reserve sounds wonderful, especially as a family catch up.

Confession: on Saturday , my recording day, I was 8oz over my top wriggle room! I avoided entering it on my chart here, as well as on my list at home. All my talk of reduced appetite came to nothing on Thursday when I almost demolished a beautiful curry, then plum crumble with custard! I did fast on Friday, but that just led to transit problems. Thankfully, back to 128lbs now.

That the house is full of chocolate doesn’t help, either!

I have two friends converted to IF. Whether they’ll last I don’t know. The friend who inspired me is hopeless. Perhaps it’s easier when retired.

Go Polly!!! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
    As Happy says, we are all yoyoing…sometimes the swings are a bit bigger.
    I did a bit of research on FMs comment about hormones and fat deposit sites. Very interesting. ..no wonder my daughter and I are such different shapes, but the same weight! Estrogen vs testosterone! !! All makes sense. I have smaller hips, she has a tiny waist.

Glad you enjoyed your family getaway, Barata. P 😊

Oh Polly, it’s swings and roundabouts lol! You’ll be back on track again this week!

Must say glamping appeals to me too Barata. That experience sounds amazing!

Thanks for insight from your son fastingme. I thought it was hormone related as I’ve noticed this has happened since I had my hysterectomy ( of course age is probably another factor).

I watched one of the early dr M programs last night which is always inspiring and reinforces my commitment. Still can’t believe you can eat burger and chips on your non FD but there you go! πŸ˜„

Viewing 50 posts - 9,501 through 9,550 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.