The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,701 through 8,750 (of 11,673 total)

• Hi PVE – yes I’m male and not too tall (5′ 9″. The fasting has become part of weekday life so I’ll be staying with it. i’ve just got to get the right combination of weekly 6:1, daily 16:8, exercise and diet so that I can maintain my weight. I have lost muscle mass which I need to put back on but my waist has gone down from a tight 36″ to a loose 33″.

Polly, yes I’ll be watching the match… and cheering for Scotland πŸ˜€

60.9 is about 9st8, so not bad considering my original goal was 10st, but a round 60kg seem like a good top trigger. Anyway, I’m back to 59.1 (9st4) this morning, despite homemade burger and spicy potato wedges with the rugby last night.

GSB, congratulations on your loss. I continued to lose weight when I first transfitioned to maintenance too. Maintenance is really just yoyoing in a narrow range, and it’s easy enough for most of us to gain and lose as needbe. IF is genius πŸ˜€

Hi HappyNow – yes it surprised me how quickly the weight loss occurs. I also switched to a lower carb / higher fat diet about the same time as starting the IF after years of following the advice that started in the 1980’s about eating more carbs and less fat thinking I was eating healthily. I didn’t think I had so much weight to lose but clearly did and especially around the abdomen.

GSB,

Yes, I too (re)adopted 16:8 when I started 5:2 (having naturally eaten that way through my 20s I then allowed myself to be brainwashed into believing I’d die if I left the house in the morning without a belly full of carbohydrates), and also cut down on refined carbs and added sugar. It was definitely the daily bread and pasta contributing to my increasing weight.

I’m becoming very cynical in my old age and think government healthy eating advice might not really be about keeping me healthy…

HappyNow – couldn’t agree with you more! πŸ‘

… more like encouraging us to eat ourselves to death on inappropriate crap, thereby reducing their pensions and social care bills, eh Happy?

My mama used to complain about me not eating bread. Were it a case of cheap bread instead of expensive meat I would understand, but bread IN ADDITION to her humungous helpings …? The mind boggles.

Oh yes, Hermaj, bread with everything!
    And as children we always used to all have a bowl of breakfast cereal before bed…!

Hello Evreyone

All good here but another drizzly day again after some beautiful sunny days earlier in the week!

Had a physio appointment yesterday – worked on my knee and hamstrings – both showing great improvement so that’s good BUT she now tells me that my ITB (Iliotibial Band) is very tight – deep tissue massage, dry needling – both very painful then showed me some exercises and how to do some hard foam rolling on the area to stretch it out – FUN!!!!! But at least I am walking again – 5 miles low level walks is the longest I have done in one walk – did about 12miles this week in total but will build up to getting some height again!

@happynow – great news re your weight – new top trigger point for you! An afternoon of Rugby beckons – Great game by Wales yesterday – they deserved that win, even my Irish friend agreed – Italy have started well and can Scotland cause an upset!!

I’m also maintaining well – weight a bit lower this morning 53.8kg so well below maintenance – good wriggle room!

Not hungry atm as I broke yesterday’s water fast with a lovely brunch of poached eggs, avocado with a sprinkling of feta cheese and sourdough bread this morning (could only manage 1/2 the bread given!!) OH offered to take me out to brunch – a girl can’t refuse!!! However I still feel very full – will not be eating until dinner tonight.
    @gsb hello and welcome – great weight loss story – I still do 2 x FD (one is often a water fast) and the remaining 5 days are 16:8 days – reduced carb intake here too
    @hermajtomomi – we will get the last laugh on the government as we will all live to a very healthy old age with this WOL……..LOL. I have found some Keffir today!!!! produced by “Riverford Organic Dairy” so will try some later today or tomorrow. Thought I would taste before I attempt to make my own – will report back.

A mindful weekend planned but some nice wine will be included with some lovely healthy food…..

As T Roosevelt said “Believe you can and you’re halfway there”

Hi AT,

Good news that you’re making progress with your knee problems. We’ve got a foam roller too, I should use it more since cycling and running both tighten the back of my legs, but ow!

Your brunch sounds really tasty! I’ve had eggs too, but no sourdough in Booths this morning (☹️) and I haven’t started making my own yet. I may try using a kefir starter once my kefir production gets into full swing.

And I appear to have been a bit lazy with my post! No congratulations on my weight required I’m afraid! 60kg has been my upper maintenance limit since May 2014, it’s not a new thing. It’s just a nice round number that I arbitrarily like to stay under πŸ˜€

You’re very light! Are you dinky and/ or slight?!

Welcome, gsb. 16:8 has become a way of life for us, although I’ve only been maintaining since September and OH still has a stone to go.

So many of us have disproved the breakfast as most important meal of the day myth. It surprises me how many ‘experts’ say that. Herm says bread was her mother’s essential, it was potatoes for mine. And me until last year!

Glad you’re making progress with your knee, AT.

Happy, how tall are you? Your weight sounds fine. I go by clothes, too, and I’m now a very happy 10-12.

Sadly, Italy have not maintained their good start. Alcoholic refreshments may be taken during the next game! No scotch in only Jameson’s, though. .

Hi everyone, and welcome, GSB – congratulations. Sometimes it’s just as hard when there’s not a huge amount to lose, as it’s easier to stay in denial, so well done. Like most of the others on here, i continued to lose for a while after reaching target weight, then stabilised at just below. Recently noticed a slow creep upward, – only 2-3lbs, but not welcome- so being a bit more disciplined on nfdays, and occasionally doing 4:3, until it’s back under control.

Also like everyone else, just settling down to watch the rugby so I shan’t hang around – just wanted to reassure all mates that I’m still alive and beginning to emerge from the post anaesthetic, pre-spring, yuk – I shall survive – and to answer Pol’s query, and send a cyber hug to herm in her time of housemoving horror. Pol, the reason we had to move on retirement is that I was a vicar, and the rules say you don’t hang around to be a possible focus for difficulty for your successor. It’s actually a sensible rule – I was once on the wrong end of someone’s going not quite far enough, so I appreciate the need! – but since my patch covered a large area of 5 villages, it did narrow the choice a bit. And herm, you’re right: HD salted caramel is the food of the gods and ought by rights to be banned from all sensible households. But there’s a tub in my freezer as I write!!

Right, on with the telly, and may the better team win! I think I’m back, folks…

Fast, I suspected as much, or an estate manager. I’ve forgotten where you are now, though. Enjoy the game. Glad to hear we have supporters down under, PVE.

Yea, gods, strange to see Dallalgio towered over by two blokes! Bayfield was funny, saying he has normal eye level for once. πŸ˜€
    Pol.

Goodness me I did not see that coming – what did Eddie Jones say to England before this game – Come on Scotland show up for the second half…………

@happynow – I was in Booths this morning too but in Windermere ……..I’m 5’4″ and probably back to around the weight I was when I got married 36 years ago although I had a much smaller waist as trying on my wedding dress recently told me…………..

I’m really happy with the progress with my knee but I may need to accept that it will never be 100% again – time will tell! @happynow and @pollypenny

@fastfastslow – glad recovery is going well – take care

Time for a cup of tea then the 2nd half

Scotland were daydreaming, so it’s impossible to tell whether England played well or not, with no opposition.

So you don’t tower over me, then AT, πŸ˜€

AT, i spread my Booths shopping between Windermere, Kendal and Carnforth, but it was Kendal that failed to produce sourdough for me this morning ☹️

Re: your weight. I think it’s the 8 st something that scares me! It sounds very small!

I’ve never been this slim as an adult! The ONLY time I’ve been this weight previously was on the way up. Looking back at the awful photos of me I suspect it would have been somewhere at age 10-13 ☹️

Fast, I’m pleased to hear you’re beginning to feel a bit more like you. I must admit I’ve not been feeling particularly sociable lately, I blame the lack of sunshine and perpetual twilight we’ve experienced up north this winter.

Sorry Polly! I’m 5ft 7, so yes 59-60 is a good weight for me. I’m a size 8-10 now so more than happy! I’m quite big boned, and a pear, so any thinner and my upper body would start to look too scrawny.

Hello

HappyNow – Today I weighed 8st 7lbs with a BMI of 20 – I don’t intend to lose any more weight promise – I seem to fluctuate between 53.5 and 55kg and happy with that. I wear Size 8 mostly and the odd size 10 depending on make!

Pollypenny – no I’m not that tall……actually the short one in my family – my daughter is around 5’8″ – Scotland just did not play their best but maybe England did not let them – It falls on Ireland to beat them next weekend……

Dinner tonight is oven roasted beetroot and jerusalem artichoke with garlic and thyme served with grilled mackerel fillets and horseradish sauce and maybe a side of spinach – I have a glass of proseco on the go at the moment…..

Have a good weekend all

I’m with you, Happy – the grey blanket has been particularly suffocating this year. Hope you, too, will start to emerge from hibernation. There’s a world out there that needs you and me!

AT – that sounds scrummy. Ours was baked cauliflower/garlic/peppers/mushrooms/fennel/olives. Nice end to an extra FD – though I could have murdered a baked potato and some of that HD icecream. Thanks a bunch, herm!!

Well everyone’s evening meals sound right up my street, I’m a big fan of vegetables and fish….Having said that, I have to admit I’m just preparing Chinese ribs with sesame prawn toast… It is the weekend after all…😁

Just remind me,msomeone, next time I need to do an extra FD, that Saturday is not a wise choice of day…

Gosh..you’ve all been incredibly chatty while I slept!
    GSB, I found that the muscle I lost was mainly as a result of no longer having to haul around all that extra weight. Initially my legs were incredibly powerful,…I could race up steps 3 at a time … but within a year, they settled back. I could have kept them going with gym work, but as I can do anything effortlessly with my lighter weight, I’m happy.
    Mr P is the same size as you. It is a good healthy weight. Well done. P

Hi PVE – my legs have also thinned out along with my shoulders and waist. I tried out some of my 1/2 sleeve summer shirts and they’re all so baggy and my 34″ trousers also keep slipping. I don’t mind though – I actually like the change in my body shape and enjoy not eating almost as much as I enjoy eating if that doesn’t sound strange!

GSB, 😁😁We had to replace our clothes twice as we lost weight. But it’s so much easier to buy well fitting clothes now πŸ˜‰
    I, too, enjoy eating less, but making it top quality and flavour. Every eating day is a gastronomic delight. ☺P

GSB well done with weight loss! Maintenance is trial and error at first. I do 6:1.

I’m 5ft 7 and weigh usually between 58 – 60. I originally set 60 as my trigger point but was consistently below that so reset to 59 and at the end of a weekend can quite often be over 59.

I tried 16:8 but I struggle mentally to give up my carb breakfast – grains berries kefir yoghurt. Good grains like Chai, buckwheat, but still grains. I have been told on this forum before πŸ˜‹ if I can’t give up the idea of breakfast to just eat it later and that’s what I do in 16:8, but find I slip a snack in before tea if I do so sort of defeats the purpose.

You will work it out (actually I believe your body works it out for you!). I’m sure we have a set point where weight is concerned and once you reach it I die one have noticed it’s very hard work to get below that weight and I really don’t want to. I’m getting very good results at my annual check up, weight is fine, I look as good as you can at my age lol, I indulge if I want to and that’s enough for me. πŸ˜€

Hi Carol – thanks, yes I think you’re right about a natural weight that our bodies know is right for us. I had no problem getting down to 11st 6lbs (about 73kg) and for the last three months it has hovered between 11st 4 (72kg) and 11st 2lbs (71kg). The last time I was this weight was back in 1980!

Ditto with us GSB. What happened in the 80s, 90s, naughties and twenteenies? (I made the current decade name up πŸ™„) And it’s not just we older folk. The youngsters are packing it on too! P

Wow, everyone sounds really slim, with no need to lose any mire weight. It’s keeping to strategies to maintain, isn’t it. My BMI is 22 and I don’t want it any lower.. At my age, I’d actually like to put a pound on my face!

On the subject of trying clothes on, we’re going on a hot holiday earlier than usual, April 12, to Thailand. I do need to have a good try on session, as most things will be too big. I did buy two pairs of cropped linen trousers in various sales, likewise two dresses. I was looking for a bathing suit, but had a try yesterday, decided mine will do.

Oh, these lovely roast veg! Hmmm! We had half a veg pizza with broccoli- too concerned with the rugby. πŸ’πŸΌ. Pol

Not so long ago, I watched a lovely TV documentary about a rather unusual retirement home in our near neighbourhood. Unusual in the sense that activities on offer were not confined to bingo and silly singsongs but trips to the theatre, cinema, concerts or opera, visiting musicians (no, not to sing along to Vera Lynn), speakers on all sorts of topics, regular Scrabble and chess competitions. In short, it was assumed residents were sentient, intelligent beings. One of them, Hettie Bauer, had her moment of fame when she got a standing ovation for a powerful speech at the Labour Party conference a few months before she died at the age of 107.

Her friend, who was one of the main participants was 104 years old, physically frail but intellectually sound enough to write a weekly column in a political magazine, with the help of a young man who typed and copy-edited it for her. When asked what had enabled her to live so long and in such a healthy mental state, her immediate response was: “Anger!”

I know where she was coming from. The expletives are flying as I write. Our buyer has dropped out!! He had gone very quiet so we guessed something was up.
    I don’t blame him for one moment. House buying isn’t about altruism. With our unerring sense of homing in on duff houses (since when we have put every estate agent trying to sell a property through the third degree) it must have seemed that we weren’t serious about selling.

At least now, BOTH of us have got the bit between our teeth and are working very proactively to find somewhere to buy. There are two houses that look very good – and built to please equity release providers – which we shall see the day after tomorrow.

Herm – is that the home where Diana Athill lives? (There can’t be more than one like that!) it sounds fantastic, but bet it costs a large bomb…

So sorry about your latest – will be thinking of you as you inspect the possible hopefuls. It’s out there somewhere – and yours is the ‘it’ that someone else is searching for… KBO.

Got it in one, Fast. It probably does cost a large bomb but they do say on the website that shortage of funds should not be a deterrent as there are sources available. Pity, the whole idea of residential homes makes my flesh creep, but this one is somewhat out of the ordinary.

I’m a great fan of Diana Athill, reckoned to be the best editor in the business, having worked with some of he biggest names in 20th-century literature from both sides of the Atlantic. She worked until she turned 75 before turning to her own writing. She has also done the odd bit of translation. I like her for the fact that she has been around the block a few times, particularly when it came to les hommes – in her own words she was a “sucker for oppressed foreigners”. Didn’t do her too much damage though. She’s due to get her telegram from Hermaj at Buck House this year.

We shall certainly KBO house-wise. It’s a bit of a pain that we have to find a new buyer.

Hermaj,

Sorry to hear house moving isn’t going smoothly for you. It’ll come right I’m sure, and you’ll end up where you’re supposed to be.

Fingers crossed for your next viewings!

Thanks for your words of comfort, Happy.

One of the next viewings is in a street called Haggis Gap, which rather appeals. The house looks great – in the photos at lest – and is chain free. Biggest problem at the moment is to find another buyer who won’t suddenly disappear.

I’m for Haggis Gap! It sounds wonderful 😊😊
    As Happy says, things will work out, and your current property should be very saleable. All the best. P

Haggis Gap – Celtic ancestry? Best of luck, Hermaj. All will be well in the end. And a little bit of adversity stirs up Hismaj, so a winning team πŸ™‚

Those two kilograms continue to linger, and have been joined by changed evacuation. I think the cortisol that the current work environment isn’t just in the brain, affecting my sleep, but in the gut too.

Good morning, all.

Oh,,Herm, what a pain in the posterior selling houses can be! Was your buyer playing games or did he have a good reason? I admire Diana Athill, too. Her pictures still show a kind if beauty. There was a piece about the home in the Observer a few weeks ago. Not keen on the name Haggis Gap, little different from Burger Avenue – not for veggies! 😝

Love that new term, Barata, ‘changed evacuation’. Hope it’s not for any medical reason, though.

I had white pasta last night, with subsequent wind! Hope it’s completely dissipated, off to tai chi, now.

Pol. πŸ™‹πŸΌ

I’m really excited to hear what the new house is like when yout find it Hermaj! And you surely will although it’s tiresome and stressful when you’re searching.

I hope for your other Tai Chi participants the wind has gone too Polly lol!

Again, thanks for all the encouragement, ladies. If we were to choose Haggis Gap, one of the first things I would do would be to research the name. Wouldn’t like to offend veggie friends. After all, when we are properly organised, we try to be 33 % veggie. i.e. we adopt a 3-day pattern of meat, fish, veg. Doesn’t always work out, but the intention is there.

I’ve just had a call from our estate agent, who is equally mystified by our buyer’s antics. I have to hand it to them. As a breed they don’t have a very good reputation, but these guys, sorry, these girls – from the branch manager downwards all the sales team are women – have been exemplary. There’s just a chance that one of the viewers who came in with slightly lower, but still good, offers may still be interested. And, of course, there’ll be another bunch of new viewers.

What’s this about Tai Chi, Pol? You and Hismaj would have loads to talk about. As I’m sure I’ve said before, he took on a new lease of life when he went to a Tai Chi class and got “talent-spotted” by the tutor who asked him to supervise the beginners and those who didn’t quite “get it”. Sadly, that includes me, although I’m a massive fan and user of acupuncture. His teacher encouraged him to train as Tai Chi/Qi Gong instructor. This he duly did, also gaining the certificate qualifying him to teach in the public sector. It’s taken a while to acquire regular gigs around here, but he now has a few and we’re hoping that there may be rich, or at least adequate, pickings in and around Cambridge. If we ever get there, that is. πŸ™‚

Fingers, toes, knees, ankles and all other cross-able parts of the anatomy well and truly crossed. Prayers should also be made to whatever deity takes care of houses in streets with very silly names.
    In short, we went to Haggis Gap and loved it. For once, the agents’ photos didn’t do the place justice. Of course, it was helped by the lovely sunny day and daffodils scattered around the village, from where buses run at frequent intervals into the city, some of them until quite late. There are one or two things that need fixing but nothing too dramatic.
    We’re currently haggling (or should it be hagissing?) in a nice friendly way and it’s looking encouraging. Potential punters for ours are due this evening and tomorrow and if it’s like the previous occasions, the ravening hordes will descend over the weekend while we’re away. Let’s hope one among them is willing to cough up.
    I’m not going to get too excited in case Sod’s Law comes into force.

Hoping all goes well.

Thanks, Annette. Hope all is well with you too.

Have you run the Half, or is it still to come?

Fingers crossed hermaj!!!

πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€

What a great story, Hermaj (LOL to haggissing). It sounds like the place you should be. Sunshine and daffodils, what could be better?

I have wonderful memories of Cambridge in spring with flowers, butterflies and handsome lads punting down the Cam. 😊 Good luck.
    And Happy St Pat’s to all of us with even a drop of Irish (or Celtic) blood. ☘☘☘☘P

Yes, interesting how St Paddy’s day is remembered, when I only know St David’s because it is my mother’s birthday (hence the Welsh names she was landed with). My grandmother was from Donegal.

I try to remember Robbie Burns Day (the day before Australia Day) by eating haggis.
    We are having a St Pats day that reminds me of Galway in Sydney today! Pouring rain. We braved it to go into the city and get sopping wet to enjoy bangers and mash with a cider, decked in green. We’ll go to the ‘local’ for some good Irish music tonight.
    Highland gatheting (games, pipe bands and ceilidh) in a few more weeks. We of Celtic heritage know how to celebrate in Aus. 😊😊 P

Oh, retirement, P. πŸ™‚

No Scottish ancestry here, from either of us. OH’s basic Anglo Saxon, and I am a mixture of that and Welsh/Irish. Enjoy your celebrations.

Herm, Haggis Gap sounds ideal. Cross fingers that everything works out and the viewing sell your place chop chop!

It’s typical Irish weather today, soft persistent rain. St Patrick was Welsh, of course and Ireland are my second favourite rugby team. Unfortunately, I can’t support them against England tomorrow as results will be crucial for the world standing and World Cup draw. Three important games tomorrow, Super Saturday!

It’s interesting to hear your Celtic heritage, PVE and Barata.

Pol. πŸ‰πŸ‰πŸ‰

I love Donegal Barata and Galway is one of my most favourite places Purple. One set of my grandparents hail from County Clare. We’ve been to Ireland either two or three times and love the place!

Hmmm, surprised to find that I’ve lost a pound again this week. Really tucked in at Pizza Express yesterday, with lovely baked aubergine. I finished it,,although I was full.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,701 through 8,750 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.