The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,351 through 6,400 (of 11,673 total)

• Thanks for the charming compliment, Fast. I am “comfortable in my skin”, apart, that is, from the obscenely-flapping bingo wings that force me to keep my upper arms well covered whatever the weather.

No I won’t desert the thread. Quite apart from discussions about the science of weight loss, I love the anecdotes that pop up, especially from posters who’ve been round the block a few times. No, that’s not a polite euphemism for those with a bus pass but anyone of any age who does interesting and worthwhile stuff.

“The sanest of the lot of us” reminds me of my days at King’s College, London. It just so happened that probably the college’s best drama company in the mid-70s was that based in the Spanish Department, when by some coincidence a bunch of very good actors happened to turn up at the same time. I was in five productions, including a 25-minute tour de force by moi toute seule, as tours de force tend to be. Typecast as an evil old bag called Francisca – a take on the evil old Spanish dictator Francisco Franco. I also became very good at prat-falls during a Lorca comedy featuring a sort of Punch-and Judy routine with a PhD student, a semi-pro actor-director who convinced me to push the boundaries onstage.

The character “saner than the rest” was the totally bonkers, 80-something granny in Federico Garcia Lorca’s “Casa de Bernarda Alba”. The play is about a male-free household where Bernarda, the tyrannical and clearly madder than a box of frogs mother, rules over her unmarried daughters. Granny is kept locked up, ostensibly because she is the maddest – or maybe because she is actually the sanest – of the lot of them. She wanders on and launches into a monologue about having just given birth to a little lamb (a cushion wrapped in a blanket). More typecasting – nice but off-her-head old woman. I was 38, which to your average undergrad or normal-age post-grad, is antideluvian. Anyway, my acting was good enough to merit a mention in my official reference from the uni. “Actress of great power and personality”, it said. Shame I took notice of the teachers at school who said drama school wasn’t for fat little girls with horrible voices. The so-called horrible voice was deep and husky – sort of Judi Dench-ish. I wonder if the wonderful Dame J was ever advised to see a doctor about her throat, as I was. The mean buggers wouldn’t even allow me to read the lesson in school assembly.

The St John’s Wort has helped in the past and I’m already taking a multi-vitamin as well as a separate daily dose of Vitamin D3, possibly not quite enough but I’ll check.

Hermaj

Please NEVER leave the thread. I love your stories. What a life you have lived. πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰.

You have achieved so much, you can feel good about yourself. Give yourself lots of pats in the back. Samm on Jo’s thread regularly took a short sabbatical (4-6 weeks) from 5:2. However, he did monitor what he was eating so that he didn’t undo the good work. I only mentioned the grains and sugars because you expressed despair at not losing any weight. Sadly you are right, in that no grains and sugars equals no starchy vegetables. Pulses, lentils etc are not included in the banned list.

When I lost the 17 kg my sister said to me very supportively, You have lost so much weight and some of your clothes do not do justice to this. So off we went and had me refitted with new underwear, amazing what a well fitted bra can do. And then I looked in different shops and rewarded myself with different styles of clothing. Only a suggestion. But i felt wonderful. πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

I know that my body can’t cope with beer, wine, potatoes, rice, pasta, grains, all kinds of sugars, dried fruit, juice, without putting on weight. Or at the very least standing still. As soon as I remove those items, I lose weight. I no longer eat pasta or juice, but everything else I have small amounts of. Which is why I have slowly increased my weight back to a permanent loss of 13 kg. Maintaining this is easy with 5:2.

In a perverse way I am looking forward to Lent when I will be letting the team down if I have anything with sugar in it. Fast days are not my problem, as I can mostly keep below 300 calories with soups or stews, with no starchy vegetables. I usually eat fish and vegetables, or salads, or soups. It’s the non fast days that are my downfall. Fast day today.

All the best, Bay β˜•οΈβ˜•οΈπŸŒΊπŸŒΊ

Welcome back Carol. The UTI information will be filed, thanks.
    Thin, Mr P agrees…he has found if he has tests after a longer than 12 hour fast they are quite different results. He hasn’t studied it carefully, but had noticed.
    Fast, unfortunately I have a timer on my pool filter, which has to be accurate so that it doesn’t disturb neighbours by coming on in the middle of the night. I’m a considerate neighbour, unlike some of ours! 😠 Hence, I need to reset every time it blackout . This is not a frequent occurrence here in the big city, but, as we all know, frequent more violent storms are part of the new world order. πŸ˜•
    Happy Monday fast folk. P

Welcome back Carolann, pleased you had fun with the grandies.

Thanks Mr Purple, there’s hope then that my blood tests were skewed. I’ll know better next time.

Happy, I liked the idea of averaging the week’s results. I was feeling quite smug to be back under 60kgs this morning after yesterday’s fast – but the week’s average was 1kg up from this time last week. Something to ponder. I also loved what you said about 5:2 having changed your relationship with food. I feel the same. I didn’t even have to work at it; it just happened.

Hermaj, sorry you’re feeling low. Here’s my twopenneth for what it’s worth – as the newbie on the MC chat, it can safely be ignored. I say stick with it because a) there may be other health benefits to continued fasting and b) if a constant plateau leaves you feeling down, the alternative is likely to be far worse. And by the way, maintaining for so long is nothing to be sneezed at – well done for that!

I wonder if a food diary kept for one week would help. This makes you think twice about bothering to pop something in your mouth because of the hassle of having to record it. And it does keep you honest about the day’s intake. Then, if you’re really brave, email it to someone you trust on here for scrutiny. (I wouldn’t be game to do it, but you might!). I’m sure you’ll make the right decision.

Hermaj, wise words from everyone! Why not give yourself a break from the scales only? It seems it’s the numbers that Are messing with your head! That way you get the health benefits and can enjoy your food without thinking what it may/may not add to the scales. 😊

πŸ’ flowers to cheer you up! Oh and a bit of sunshine β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ

Wise women, Herm. You KNOW you look good and have been maintaining successfully for ages now. It is probably “just” end of winter blues…ask Happy.😊
    More sunshine and flowers for all the UK folk.. πŸŒΈπŸŒΉπŸ€πŸŒΊπŸŒ·πŸŒ»πŸŒΌπŸŒžπŸŒπŸŒžπŸŒπŸŒžπŸŒ P (drinking yet another black coffee..3.15 pm)

Lots of wise words from everybody. Thank you.

Had a full-on screaming match with the other half when he suggested I should just get a grip, which led to all sorts of accusations on both sides. Sometimes he’s so supportive, sometimes he’s a mean-spirited a****ole. But then so am I.

It’s not so much the numbers but the reaction to the numbers that bothers me, carolann. How often have doctors wasted valuable consulting time haranguing me about stuff I don’t even eat. I now stay away from them as much as I can, for fear of being done for GBH to a GP. A few months back I did one of those longevity tests based on health and lifestyle. It told me I would live to be 94 but also told me that women with my BMI usually died at 71, the subtext being “why aren’t you dead yet, fatso?” Another such test a month or so ago had me surviving to 99. That could just be possible. There have been several nonagenarians on my mother’s side, including one of the chubbier uncles.

The plan is as follows: to take a few weeks’ rain-check from the 5:2 routine, but not take my eye off the ball. Maybe get on the scales once a week or so just to check no harm is being done. Alternatively, chuck the buggers out of the window. Thanks for reminding me, bay, that our long-lost friend Sam was wont to do just that on occasions.

I’ve said many times before, I don’t even like most of the bad stuff so I’m in less danger of doing myself serious damage than many others. For years I’ve been doing a Mediterranean-type diet, minus the wine. I guess part of the slow process is down to the fact that I didn’t have very much to give up and so didn’t see the same dramatic change that someone who’d been living on cream buns, doughnuts and pork pies would have seen. Looking back at the early stages, I only lost a kilo a month. I then plateaued after three months and stayed there for five before starting to lose. The same has happened several times.

It’s in the genes, fat father, fat mother, fat brother and gross overfeeding in childhood. Several fat uncles on both sides. Fortunately, my brother chose to procreate with a naturally-slim woman. Their son had to struggle with his weight although he is pretty fit and a very keen cyclist. He also married a slender distance runner. Their sons have enough of their mother’s genetic structure to be fit as fleas, athletic, whippet-thin and the elder one could eat for England.

I’m well aware of the other health benefits. Despite the disappointing weight loss, I’m off the statins. After some painstaking research I got the doc finally to agree that they might be the cause of excruciating scream-out-loud muscle pains that were making my life a misery. The pains slowly but surely went away I’m also weaning myself off the very low dose of BP meds. BP checks at home are fine, sometimes ridiculously so. And despite having both parents and brother diabetic, I’ve managed to stay clear. I may be overweight but I’m disgustingly healthy.

Someone suggested a food diary. I have a very good memory which seems to override any attempt to keep any sort of diary. It usually lasts about a week and ten I forget about it. Nor do I stuff my face without thinking. If tempted, I will look up the calorie count an if it’s too high, forget it. So, the diary’s a good idea, but not for me.

Hi Hermaj, You might be interested in this, since it seems that your triggers for weight might not be as simple as the standard refined carbs only.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2lw8qKp7NFf7N7mhbXmsY34/why-do-some-people-put-on-weight-and-not-others-and-can-we-change-it

I’m not suggesting you monitor blood sugar after each meal…but it might be worth doing food exclusion trials and seeing if you can find what’s keeping you on your plateau?

Alternatively, and as suggested, stop thinking about intermittent fasting for weight loss and just do it for weight maintenance and health with the rest of us here!

Another Fast Day done and dusted. Just coffee and vegetable soup. Played nine holes of golf. As usual tired after a good fast, off to bed. Beautiful weather. Sunshine to the NH. β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈπŸŒžπŸŒžπŸŒžπŸŒžπŸŒžπŸŒž

Happy, what a fascinating study.

Hermaj, relax and enjoy. Change the mindset. You have lost weight and successfully maintained for two years. How good is that. πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸ™‹πŸ™‹πŸ™‹

Yeah, that’s it hermaj – as Happy said, you’re on the maintenance thread! And maintaining very well. Now go and give that mean-spirited a****ole a big hug.

Hermaj – the latest Michael Mosely prog was talking about the possibility of identifying an individual’s specific weight-gain triggers via analysis of their gut flora from faecal samples. The one chubby doc on the series was the Guinea pig, and found she would be able to eat several kinds of wickedness with no ill effect, while she would put on weight by looking at some more healthy foods. Makes you wonder, sometimes – and of course not (yet?) available on the Nhs. …,

Hi Fast and Hermaj,

Just to avoid confusion, the program Fast mentions is the same as in the link I posted. Fascinating stuff!

Thank you, Happy, bay and thin, for being on my side.

Yes, I saw that link yesterday, Happy. As it happens, many of the foods listed I don’t eat anyway. Also, I’m not sure I can be arsed to fart around with blood sugar measurements.

I suppose I wouldn’t have worried if I had actually intended to maintain. The problem was that I was maintaining whether I liked it or not, while my real intention was to continue losing.I guess I’m not on exactly the right thread, but as you know, I came here because you are a nice, intelligent, civilised bunch who are unlikely to throw tantrums and scream for the moderator if yours truly tells it like it is from time to time.

Now, you’re not going to believe this. I lost a kilo over the weekend! This
    takes the BMI to 28.1 just a tad closer to the 27.5 that used to be acceptable. Feeling so angry and pissed off gave me almost zero appetite and I was only able to eat one tiny meal each day. A case of extreme fasting. Proof positive that I don’t comfort-eat. Sod’s law says that’s probably my one kilos-worth for 2016. πŸ™

From now, out of habit, I will probably still have two extra-careful days a week, but won’t stress out if I go over the 500, then take reasonable care the rest of the time. Of course, if the weight starts to disappear I will revert to the 5:2 pattern to try to speed things up. But I’m not holding my breath.

Oops, sorry, Happy: posted before reading your link. Apologies – must get my head together.

Hermaj – perhaps you burnt calories simply with the fire of you righteous anger? Well done!

Now that sounds like a plan, Fast! A bit of righteous anger. Who can I go and clobber? Answers on a postcard, please.

No need to apologize Fast! Great minds think alike and all that, just thought it might save possible confusion linking our posts together!

Hermaj, congratulations on your loss. I’d say you should get angry more often, but you probably don’t need that kind of advice πŸ™‚

How well you know me, Happy. πŸ˜‰

Yay a kg herma!πŸ˜„ keep up the anger! πŸ˜„

Hi everyone, yesterday was my first fast day and i just have some questions for all of you. Does it depend on how much you weigh to see more drastic results? for instance if you are a bit on the heavier side will you see your weight dropping quicker than those on the lighter side? My first fast was yesterday and i weighed myself today seeing 2 lbs lighter on the scale. Im not sure if this in an actual weight loss or just my body dropping water weight??

Hermaj, as RT says the less you eat the more you lose. I hope Hismaj has been hugged. 🌺🌺🌺🌺 Bay

Hi, fastinggirl – welcome.
    If this is your first ever fast, it may be a fantastic beginning – or it may be largely water loss. Hard to know until you’ve done a few more, and got into a pattern – but if future fasts don’t give such dramatic results, dont get discouraged : you’ll see from other posts that even those who’ve been doing this for ages have better and worse days.

While you – and anyone – are welcome here, you might find some of the threads for those newer to 5:2 would be more helpful to you. But in answer to your query – while everyone is different, the general principle is that on a fast day calorie consumption should be roughly a quarter of your TDEE (see website for details and how to calculate.) Since TDEE is calculated via a combination of weight and activity level, it actually reduces as you lose weight. So it makes sense that heavier people may lose a little faster, at least in the early stages, than their skinnier sisters.

Hope that makes sense – and good luck!

Well done Hermaj. Amazing what getting worked up will do. Did Hismaj lose as well?
    To me, the biggest spinoff of this woe is the reduced appetite, or is it the brain understanding we don’t have to eat all the time?
    We tried out a new local cafe at lunchtime today, after fasting yesterday. The portion sizes were such that we should have ordered one to share. I simply got to a point where I stopped. Even Mr P left some of his! This would never have been the case in the past.
    My dear little mother in law used to tell me, “We’ve eaten lunch, so won’t have dinner”, when they were in their 60s. I was worried and thought they were starving themselves. How wrong I was. Sorry MIL. πŸ˜• P

Hi Purple,

As far as I know Hismaj stayed put. He’s a naughty boy, really. He’s been on a plateau for months, but with a BMI of 26, he’s within spitting distance of home. However, he can’t seem to understand that knocking back at least half a bottle of vino – sometimes nearly a whole one – and humungous quantities of cheese on NFDs ain’t going to help.

In answer to thin and bay, no big hugs, but a few pecks on the cheek and he was kind enough to pop into Boots and get me some St John’s Wort.

I spent some of yesterday trawling through my posts on the forum. Talk about Look Back in Anger. Geez, no wonder I got frustrated! Even at the beginning when I was obscenely fat it still took me three months to shed three kilos and then I got stuck on a plateau for five. I also realised that between two and three of the total of 14 (now 15) kilos were lost without even trying pre-5:2, the result of finally coming off the evil steroids that the quack kept me on for two and a half years, with dire consequences weight- and appearance-wise. From then onwards it was lose a kilo then stick for five or more months. In the great creation factory (which I have just corrected from “fatory”, Freudian slip or what?) I must have been a last-thing-Friday-afternoon job. There’s definitely a major design fault somewhere. However, I have succeeded in dropping between two and four dress sizes,i.e size depending on the type of garment.

Welcome aboard, fastinggirl. Hope my experience doesn’t put you off. Fast’s analysis is almost certainly spot-on in 95-99 percent of cases. If you’re among the weirdly-constructed, you can still enjoy a number of health-enhancing spin-offs.

So for the time being, with the reduced appetite and the good habits learned while following this WOE, it will not be FDs and NFDs, it will be a case of very careful and moderately careful days. Probably the same thing but it somehow makes things easier.

Vive la difference, Herm πŸ˜€

Good luck with your new routine Hermaj! Keep us in the loop!

Will do, Carolann.
    Purple, what a lovely witty lady you are. Vive la difference indeed. πŸ™‚

πŸ˜†

Well I have recorded my weight every day this week and worked out the average (Sat-Fri).

Lightest 58.8. Heaviest 60.3. Average 59.4.

Interesting I’m sure but, having thought about it, the weekly average weight isn’t going to be at all helpful in managing weight. Rubbish idea πŸ™‚

Hope you’re all well?

My back is still troubling me, and making me grumpy. It’s not resolving by itself this time, so I’m seeing a physiotherapist next week. Fingers crossed she doesn’t hurt me! At least she won’t have any trouble finding my spine and muscles πŸ™‚

Bad luck that your back is still playing up Happy. Hopefully the physio has some answers.
    The average weight is pretty obvious anyway. As you say, more relevant for us when we get 60 and KNOW we MUST fast! πŸ˜• I will need to be a bit more rigorous with fasts. I see 59 more than I want. 😠 P

Hi Happy, I averaged my weight for the past three weeks after you mentioned it too. This week, mine was exactly the same as yours. Lightest 58.8. Heaviest 60.3. Average 59.4. Looking forward to tomorrow’s FD. As you note, taking the average puts me in a much better light than taking today’s weight of 60.3 kgs which would have been a ‘trigger’ for me even if I hadn’t planned to fast tomorrow.

P.S. You’re up late Purple!

Hi Thin, Twin!

Given that I don’t always need two or even one fast per week, I can’t decide what would be the trigger for a fast if using an average measure of weight.

I accept it’s a more accurate reflection of my weight, but as far as I can see it’s of academic interest only with no practical application (for me, at least!)

Anyway, having not fasted last week, I am planning – and looking forward to – a fast day next week.

Yes Thin. Socialising. Excellent night, lots of talk, laughter and not too much food (or wine). Win, win!
    Funny how we 3 are the same size, isn’t it? Barata is too. 58-60 seems like a “standard” womens size.
    Off for a beach walk…too much driving and sitting yesterday πŸ˜• P

Yup, that’s me. But what about height? (1.7m in my younger days – that’s 5 ft 7 inches πŸ™‚ )

Glad you have done the averaging exercise and rejected it for daily control, folks – saves me experimenting. Enough to keep the spreadsheet for self and OH.

The average weight is useful if someone asks you how much you weigh because I never k ow how to answer that and a standard reply often is ‘depends which day you ask me’.

FYI I fall exactly within your ranges too happy, thin, purple, barata.

Isn’t that interesting? I’m 5′ 6″ in the old money but my GP was trying to tell me I’d shrunk when he last measured me. I just ignored him. I’ll be 60 in a couple of months so I suppose this means that my risk factors increase and my TDEE decreases. Overnight! Drat.

Ha ha Thin, I think I may have stolen your missing height! I always thought I was 5 ft 6, but last year the doctors surgery said I was 5 ft 7. Must be due to the lightness of not carrying round 14kg of lard πŸ™‚

Sounds like you have bounced back, Happy. Hope that means the back is not paining you. Sunshine on its way xx – just a fabulous day today, and a public holiday tomorrow. What you hear is me purrrrrrrring… πŸ™‚

My doctor tried to tell me I had shrunk too, Thin, so not sure where I am. Happy to be in such a supportive group weight-wise.

Hi Barata,

The back is not so painful this morning, but I think it’s just settling into the new wrong position rather than being better. Whatever, it does make a difference not having it constantly nagging away at me.

We also had an evening with friends last night, and I haven’t laughed so much in ages. Definitely a good tonic.

Now if only it would stop raining…

I’ll trade you your rain for our five consecutive days of temps between 39C & 42C (the longest run of such temps since 1933 I believe). What’s your public holiday Barata?

Sorry folk…absolutely heaven here today. Perfect weather…gentle seabreeze, sunshine 25-27 deg, not humid.
    I have definitely shrunk, but like Barata, I’m REALLY old πŸ˜‰. Used to be 5′ 5 1/2″, now others that height tower over me, and, no, I don’t slouch.😯
    Must fast tomorrow. Too much of a good time this weekend…within moderation, of course. 😊P

We’re enjoying the Monday-ising of Waitangi Day, Thin. Both it and Anzac day were dealt with a couple of years ago so we poor workers don’t miss out on a public holiday when these fall on a weekend. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Finally a good move from a politician.

So we are moving our FD to tomorrow.

Step grandson turned up at 3 this morning, and son left for work at 4.30, so a bit of a disturbed night, and so good to then be able to sleep in.

And the weather continues calm and warm (I would say hot, but it’s nothing like yours, Thin).

Hi Happy,

Sorry to hear you’re having back problems. So far (touch wood) back pain is something I’ve managed to escape most of the time but when it does happen it can be really horrible and I understand it can strike otherwise fit and healthy people.

My most vulnerable spot is precisely where my bra does up and it usually comes on after working for several hours at a standard height kitchen worktop, which is just that bit too high which means that, at 5ft 1in, I’m probably working at an unnatural angle.

The last time this happened, about a month ago, after a couple of weeks of more or less vain attempts to shift the pain with OTC products, my lovely acupuncturist found a cure which seems to have done the trick. First, she stuck several needles right at the point where the pain originated. Then, very patiently, she held over me a burning stick of what I believe is called artemisia vulgaris, frequently used in traditional Chinese medicine. It gives off a not-unpleasant heat and its herby, smoky smell took me right back to to my misspent hippy days.

But it worked. No pain at all between two appointments a week apart. After the second treatment the pain returned for an hour or so before disappearing. Now, 10 days later, I’m still pain-free. I recognise that it could recur at any time, but at least I know something can be done about it – apart, that is, from having the kitchen refitted, which ain’t gonna happen any time soon.

I was going to say cheaper to stand on a box, Hermaj, or wear platform shoes…but you might fall off either?! Best set Hismaj to work in the kitchen instead πŸ™‚

I know a few people who’ve had good results with acupuncture, but not tried it myself…yet. The place I’m going to tomorrow does offer it, so we’ll see!

As for your burning stick… A.vulgaris is mugwort, not particularly woody, so it might have been the root or perhaps it was wormwood, which is woody and is also an Artemisia sp. Not that I’ve tried burning either…!

I thought of a low stool or platform, too, Hermaj, just to get you to “average” height. But perhaps Happy’s suggestion of setting Hismaj is the winner?

Setting him to the kitchen tasks, it should read πŸ™‚

Helpful suggestions Happy and Barata,

However, as Ms Dyspraxic 2016 (and all preceding years) I wouldn’t trust myself on a stool or platforms, as I’d be bound to fall off both. Sometimes the fairly low-heeled mules I wear around the house seem to stick to the floor and I fall sideways out of them, only saving myself by grabbing the worktop.

As for Hismaj, he is not at all averse to cooking and is resident washer up and wielder of a mean hoover, but cookery is the one domestic art I’m halfway good at and it’s as much a hobby as a task. Also he tends to specialise in pasta dishes, which I’ve gone right off, since pasta was part of an unfortunate carb overdose a few months ago.

I wasn’t 100% sure about the burning stick, Happy. It’s definitely artemisia but I have almost certainly got the other half of the name wrong.

Acupuncture could be well worth a try, especially if you happen to have one near at hand. I first tried it for post-herpetic neuralgia, resulting from the shingles, resulting from the steroids the quack kept me on for 2 1/2 years for polymyalgia rheumatica which totally screwed up my immune system as steroids tend to do. Not to mention the extra multiple kilo wight gain and big fat moon face. This despite the fact that the polymyalgia cleared up completely within weeks. While I accept the need for remaining on the steroids for a few months not 2 1/2 expletive deleted years!

The acupuncturist has become a good mate – she also charges me “mate’s rate” which is nice – and she is my first port of call for any health issue or when I need to preempt what could be a stressful situation. For example, I was a regular caller while working on my MA dissertation. It may have been all in the mind but it definitely helped. As she does with every treatment, she did explain which acupuncture points were involved and why, but I’m not very good at remembering these details. She would be honest enough to tell me if I needed conventional medical treatment but it hasn’t happened yet.

I find your experience of acupuncture very interesting Hermaj. I too have had good results with acupuncture. Recently for treating abdo pain and many years ago for a shoulder injury. I was meant to have steroids into my shoulder followed by a reconstruction but opted instead to try acupuncture and fortunately it worked! I don’t have 100% mobility in that shoulder but would say I have 95% and I was more than happy with that outcome.

I am interested in the fact you use acupuncture for stress and other health issues. I had never thought of acupuncture being useful in treating stress. When you say other health issues are you referring to common ailments? (Don’t want to get too personal here 😊).

Hi Carolann,

I’m fortunate enough not to suffer from anything embarassing (unless you count obscene bingo wings). Common health issues, like colds, minor stomach upsets and general yuck feelings – I won’t say flu because I’m not convinced I’ve ever had it – I deal with myself. However, each acupuncture session starts with a rapid MOT, plus she inspects my tongue and takes my pulse, both of which procedures seem to give rather different information to that which a mainstream doc is after. And of course there’s always a “how’ve you been” conversation. All this info she takes on board before getting to work with the needles.

Like you, I’ve had some pain problems, like horrendous leg muscle pains which proved to be connected with the statins I had been prescribed “just in case”. Until the cause of the pain was tracked down (by me doing a bit of research), acupuncture always helped but until the quack agreed I should stop taking the wretched pills, they didn’t completely disappear.

As for stress, most of the time it’s about preempting potential stress, e.g when I’ve got a particularly tough translation to do and I may have to burn the midnight oil. When I was doing the MA, if I had an essay or a presentation coming up, not to mention the dreaded final dissertation, the acupuncture points involved were the ones that energised the brain, powers of reasoning etc. As I said before it may have been all in the mind, but it worked Similarly, if I’m having to deal with difficult family issues, using the most appropriate points leads to feelings of calm, and often a better than usual night’s sleep.

Even when everything in the garden is lovely, I still have a session once a month, simply to get energised, e.g. before going on holiday. I have never come out of a session without feeling simultaneously relaxed and full of energy. I guess it helps that the therapist is a really good friend – sometimes she is the one telling me her troubles – and however bad things are we always have a bit of a giggle.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,351 through 6,400 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.