The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,251 through 5,300 (of 11,673 total)

• Congratulations to Mrs and Mr P. Have a romantic evening. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Bay 🙂

Hope you have a lovely evening Purple!

Ta Bay and Carol ?

Morning all and thanks so much for welcoming me so openly into your fold. Absolutely loved reading the conversation above and wish I could be having a coffee with you all instead. Sorry for using the word ‘journey’ as I also don’t like it, I don’t know what came over me. ‘Moving forward’ and ‘at the end of the day’ are the silliest phrases I can think of.

Happy anniversary Mr & Mrs P. You romantics you. Ours was on Sunday and I just carried on fasting as usual.

Yes, I’m from Brighton, now living in Perth Lichte.

I’m an obsessive weigher and I don’t think that will change. I can see why it might seem I’m overly anxious about the upcoming holiday and in some ways agree with you, what’s the harm in gaining a few kgs? Life is to be enjoyed and it wouldn’t be much of a holiday if you were on high alert all the time.

You’re so right FFS, 5:2 has shaped my eating habits & portion sizes and I do look at foods in a completely different way now. So maybe it will just all be all OK anyway through self-regulation.

Without wearing out my welcome here, talking about our different histories I think I’ve had ‘issues’ with food most of my adult life which has been characterised by large weight losses and then eating my way back to dizzying new heights. That always began with ‘getting away with’ some forbidden food and then, before I knew it, I couldn’t stop the weight gain train. But I’ve never lost 23kgs before and I’ve never felt in control of food before 5:2. Fasting for me is probably a replacement addiction. Now I’m getting into ‘journey’ territory so I’ll shut up.

Morning Thin.
    Top day in Sydney. At last we have great outdoor weather in time for the long weekend! !
    I had never had a weight problem, as a skinny young lass, so this 28kg is the first serious weight I’ve ever had to lose. I’ve been at goal now for 18 months and panic if I get to the top of my “wriggle room”. 60kg is where I draw the line. I saw 56 on the scales again this morning after 2 strict fasts this week (ok..first weigh. Went up a little on the second attempt!)
    I KNOW the stats on weight regain (I also knew the stats on teen weddings when I married Mr P) and I’m the sort of girl that is motivated when “they” tell you differently! 😉
    Have a good Friday in WA mate. P

Morning PVE, you’re an inspiration. Is your wiggle room 4kgs? Maybe I should try for another 4kgs and then wriggle my way back into it in Spain! 😆

My goal was always “under 60”. I hit that after my first year of fasting. I’ve stayed below ever since. 55 was briefly glimpsed, but unsustainable. I usually sit around 57, but with another winter in quick succession coming up (2 months in the UK) I want to be low before I go. Mr P was right. A couple of weeks of added concentration works.
    I really only manage it because of daily weighing. I will never give that up. The travel scales weigh the same as a pair of shoes, but take less room. 🙂 P

I bought a Japanese brand called Verrette. They weigh slightly more than your Petit Mignon at 700gms. We never take more than 10kgs wherever we go so they’ll become part of the challenge.

Hi Thin,

It’s good to hear some of your ‘back story’ (although obviously I don’t want to hear about your journey 🙂 )

Having been at least chubby for much of my adulthood, when I’d reached my goal last year (only 13-14kg off) I was very worried about the transition to maintenance, and scared of relaxing my eating/ fasting regime. The first holiday I took was only one week, but that was one week out of my routine and comfort zone, where I wouldn’t be able to control what food was on offer, where puddings and morning coffee cakes would be a daily temptation, and where I was worried that ‘I’m on holiday’ mentality would set in and I’d slip back into bad old habits… Just being off work for a day sees me reaching for a bottle of wine!

P convinced me I’d be fine, and I was.

I’ve found that 5:2 has done so much more than just give me tools to lose weight, it’s exercised my willpower muscle, reduced my portion sizes, (mostly!) extracted my sweet tooth and taught me that it is possible to enjoy food without having a second portion! And I’ve finally broken free of the ‘need to get my fair share’ mentality!

And finding other people here who have the same struggles and have been travelling the same path ( 🙂 ) has been invaluable.

Morning world!
    Talking of wiggle room. My goal weight was 58kg which I achieved with much effort then managed to wiggle up to 62kg and now back to a big effort to get back down again. I seem to be already stuck….must try harder. It always seems to take at least a fortnight for my body to lose. My body is a clingon !
    This time my goal is going to be 56kg, which will give me more wiggle room and I hope to get there by Christmas. I am 5’4″ tall so that’s realistic. I shall be pleasantly suprised if it happens faster than that.
    No fast today as we’re having friends round tonight for supper.
    You’re all quite right about daily weighing although it hadnt occurred to me there was such a thing as travel scales.
    Have a lovely evening with your husband Purple and have a lovely evening all my Australian friends. Happy weekend everyone. 🙂

Morning HappyNow! You posted whilst I was writing. I felt the same way too when I started maintenance. It’s good to have such good support on here and may it long continue! 🙂

Hi Auriga,

I’d never heard of travel scales either until P.

I haven’t got any, as we don’t go away long enough to need them at the moment 🙁

Hurry up, retirement 🙂

Sorry to hear that you aren’t really seeing results yet. Lucky that you’ve been here before and know it works, eh?

Morning and congratulations Mr & Mrs P (belatedly) I hope you had a lovely day. I do envy you being able to fast together, Encouraging each other in the kitchen and dinner table is just the greatest support there is.

Happy – roll on retirement??? ;-)) Now that is what I call a sense of humour. By the time it is our turn to retire this privilege will be “assessed” and only granted on “ill” health grounds. Our healthy lifestyle might bite us.

Auriga, this wiggle room has always intrigued me a bit and is probably a bit of a mind game. If my ideal or target weight is 50kg then that is it. Anything else is above or below my target weight. If I give myself wiggle room from 48 – 52 kg I am the sort of person who, since 52 is still acceptable will be hovering around 52 or so. that means 4kg wiggle room means 4kg below target weight. But my motivation to routinely fast or reduce food will not be very great when I am 4kg below my (actual) target weight and so I will always end up at 50kg, struggling not to go over as is at the moment when I am 51kg. I suppose I need a bit of arrrgggg and tension when I step on the scales in the morning to motivate me to fast this coming day/week. Coming back to yesterday,MC ladies, a bit of arrrggggg every now and then is what keeps us motivated and alert (kick up the proverbial).

Happy Now, what you wrote resounded so loudly with me. My experience exactly. The other thread was invaluable in helping me to master 5:2 and I can immediately see the value in this maintenance chat forum. Good for all of you for sticking around. I’m so grateful.

Lichtle, I forgot to say that you really made me laugh with what you wrote about TDEE and 7:0. Like the guy training his donkey not to eat.

Hi All
    Very quiet in here. Monday morning is my official weigh-in as Im usually at my heaviest. Today i was 58.6 which is getting to the top of my range (57-59) I did a fast day today and Im very happy to add that hubby is doing it too. He’s seen my results and he’s been putting on weight so he’s finally succumbed. Tomorrow we have friends for dinner and Thursday will be another fast day 🙂

Hi Judy, I am doing 4:3 this week. I have had a bit of an “unrestricted weekend”. So today is going to be easy I hope. ;-))

Hi judyf and Lichtle, I am fasting too here in Canada. Had a BIG weekend! No idea what I weigh but can see waist line starting to thicken up so know a FD is due.

Judyf your weight pretty good for the start of the week, will get lower as the week goes on 🙂

Weather getting cold here. Minus 2 now but warming up later into the teens. Was cold yesterday, not sure of temperature but reminded me of England. I thought England was the coldest place I’d experienced but suspect Canada will challenge that! 🙂

Ah Carol. How lovely to be enjoying the cool in Canada. Just stick to the salmon and greens 🙂 Have a great time.
    Yesterday, we had the hottest early October day since 1943 here (high 30s!) Quite a shock to the system considering we had the fire on last week. Another scorcher today. Looks like a bad bushfire season approaching. At least it will be easy to fast today. ?
    Interesting, Judy, that you are another one who sits on the 57-59kg range. I’m beginning to think this is an average healthy weight for “older” women. P ?

Hi Purple

Your ghastly image of 8 sticks of butter stuck around my waist has been haunting me for the last four days. 😮 😥 Am trying to use it as motivation to fast. However, as we discussed before, the only easy fast day is the first one of the week. 😉

More ten pin bowling today, using muscles long dormant. Made three strikes today. 😆 Last time no strikes and lots of total misses. Hehe! Very hot day here.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi Purple

I sit on 61-63 kg as my range, and the lowest weight that I ever reached last year was 59.3 kg. I am 5ft 4 in and in my late 60s. Am really trying to get to 61 kg again.

Cheers, B 🙂

When’s your next FD Bay?

Been quiet today girls.
    We hit 51deg out the back today. You aren’t getting this over west, Thin, but I see Bay is! Bushfires raging in Victoria.
    All my extra 1-2 kg sits on my waist too Bay. So annoying. Some could be used elsewhere 😉 Well done on your bowling prowess! The kids will have to fond something new soon ao that you don’t beat them. We’ve been in the pool.
    Fell off the fast wagon at 5.20pm with a little nibble. Grandkids do that to you 😉 Not too bad though.
    Next one Thursday. P

Pleased to hear you’re only human Purple. Did the grandies hold you down and force feed you?Wow, that’s some heatwave for October. Cool here today 23C. OH is gearing up for bushfire season here in the west – puts them out in summer, lights them in winter. A sort of love/hate relationship with bush fires.

Hi Thin

Been eating all day in the heat. Mostly nutritious food, but nevertheless I know it’s bad to nibble. Made Mexican meal for the grandkids and nibbled all the ingredients. 😉

Next fast day will be when I muster up the motivation, thanks for asking. I have kids to stay all week and a few issues to deal with. It was still 30C at 5 pm but is rapidly dropping.

Cheers, Purple and all. Bay 🙂

Hi MCs
    Went to bed hungry last night, but in typical post fast way, not hungry this morning. Back to the low 57s despite a social weekend, but why is the only fat right there on the tummy?
    Do any of the maintainers have a flat tum and how much weight did you have to lose to achieve it? 🙁 P

Hi P – I did have a flat tum for a bit – but only when I dropped to a weight you really don’t want to know (but clue: a BMI of 17) Definitely too much of a good thing – I’ve now put on a couple of pounds, which has brought me back into a healthy range (and, I would stress, to a weight which was natural for me when I was younger, so not a completely overdone loss) – but guess where those pounds have settled? Yes, that’s right – on my tum. Seems to me that once past a certain age, and number of pregnancies, it’s a choice between healthy with a little soft pot, or flat and just that bit too skinny – and even pilates doesn’t really get rid of the evidence. Take a (slightly altered) leaf from Tom Conti /Shirley Valentine : ‘I kees yurr stretch marks (belly)’ and rejoice in health and strength!

Hi Purple & Thin

Fasting today. Got up and thought I can do this. 😉 Temps going to be a lovely 20 C. Playing mini golf this morning with kids.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi Purple, well done on your lowish weight after a weekend. I am still maintaining 2 lbs above my goal due to over eating on eating days. Right now I am just glad to have found my fasting groove again and can now concentrate on the eating days.

I am sorry, but I have no advice on fat around tummy. I seem to be one of the few “pears” here who has all her excess weight around her thighs. Thunderthighs, as I call them. I think even at my lowest weight I didn’t look “thin” and I have to be careful to not look like a picture in one of those two-half-books (or split books) where you can mix and match top and bottom. Well, as I get older my top half seems to look a bit scrawny (especially the neck part) but the bottom half still looks “substantial” ? and weight seems to cling on to it and love it there. The only consolation is that fat around the thighs seems to be less of a health concern. I was hoping that with age my “substantial” thighs might deminish due to natural changing of muscles etc.

Hi Purple and FFS, the lower my weight gets the smaller the rummy gets! i can always tell by the tummy if I’m in the 58’s, 59’s or 60’s. The first place it goes on is the midriff. Ive got a sway back so my tummy quite often pokes out but have noticed with ageing the rounded tummy is there most of the time. Even when it’s flat it’s slightly rounded if that makes sense. Let it go Purple, I bet you look amazing and are the only person who notices that tummy!

I did a FD yesterday but don’t dare mention what I’ve eaten today!!! 🙁

Our posts crossed Lichtle!

Hi lovely MCers

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a slightly rounded tummy was indicative of health in older ladies. That’s us!

Cheers, Bay 😉

This might seem like a very silly post, but I have noticed that when I walk I seem to use my buttock muscles quite a lot. In fact the first thing that hurts when I overdo the walking/running are painful buttocks. (Buttocks are also well developed ?) I have also noticed that for some reason I tense my tummy muscles when walking and I was wondering if our posture/skeleton forces some muscles to be more used/strained and hence more toned. This might all be drivel because female fat deposits are after all hormonal so I don’t know… just a thought because I have some trouble with skeleton and have noticed how my body compensates weaknesses in some areas.

Nice theory Bay ?
    I can’t help with your specific muscle aches, Lichtle, but I find it interesting, with the different seasons I get different workouts. My ankles are sore from the first real swimming day of the season yesterday, whereas the backs of my thighs ached after a very long, steep hike and bending to weed last week.
    I guess it shows we need to regularly change our activities to use every muscle…she says as she sucks on her abs while texting! P 🙂
    Oops…missed the earlier posts. Can’t edit and read!!!

Thanks Carol and FFS
    I only noticed as I was in swimmers all day yesterday and kept having to suck in my gut and straighten my shoulders! Heatwaves do that to you! SO much easier to hide a pot under clothes. ?
    Lichtle, as a young woman, I was always pear shaped with “childbearing ” hips (they worked too!) And I weighed 54kg. Now at 57kg and very nearly 64, I have no bum and thin thighs and,as Happy said long ago, “flapping pancakes on toast racks”. I think, post menopausally, we store fat in different places. Your ‘thunder thighs’ will probably disappear as you mature ?
    I find 57kg easy to maintain and it is in the middle of the healthy range for me. When I get lower than this I do get genuinely hungry.
    I just find it interesting that any weight goes back on the stomach. The theory of empty fat cells waiting to fill up might just be correct 🙁 P

I believe it’s evolutionary that women tend to deposit fat around the stomach area in order to protect the reproductive organs. There’s only one reliable way to determine whether tummy fat is visceral and that’s an expensive MRI. If it’s just flab, exercising will help. I did get my exercise ball down and a few weeks later I found the exercise sheet. That’s as far as it’s gone. I have a distaste for doing repetitive’exercises’ per se and I think fasting twice a week is a big enough change for me this decade. I still walk 5km a day which of course does nothing for tummy flab.

For a bit of fun, there is a little living room test you can do to determine whether you have visceral fat. Stand against a wall and place a piece of cardboard across your tummy. Measure the distance from the cardboard to the wall. Now do the same thing lying on the floor. If the measurement decreases, good news, it’s not visceral fat!

Fasting with you today Bay. I’ve had my obligatory 2 coffees with almond & coconut milk, 22 cals. Nothing further until my 2pm cauliflower soup, 103 cals. Then Spanish Fideos for dinner, 142 cals and maybe a banana before bed if I’m desperate. OFMs are having pizza, I never touch the stuff now and it doesn’t bother me to watch them eat it. I love the superior feeling I get from this! Have a lovely day all.

Must try the cardboard thing Thin. I’m afraid it’s probably ‘6 baby flab’! My exercise ball entertains the grandies. It’s really easy to bounce! Oh, am I meant to use it, not just sit and look at it? 😉
    Spanish fideos sound interesting. Can you give us the recipe when you aren’t fasting please? 🙂 P

SPANISH FIDEOS 142 cals Serves 2

• 1 packet Slendier Angel Hair
    • 1 Olive Oil Spray
    • 1 jalapeno (seeded and chopped)
    • 1 onion (finely diced)
    • ½ red capsicum (seeded and sliced)
    • 1 tsp garlic (minced)
    • ½ cup reduced salt vegetable stock
    • ½ cup tinned tomato
    • 1 tsp chilli powder
    • ½ tsp ground cumin
    • ½ tsp dried oregano
    • ¼ tsp pepper
    • 2 eggs
    • 1½ tsp coriander leaves
    • ½ lime (cut into wedges)

1. Prepare Angel Hair per pack and set aside.
    2. Preheat oven to 180C. Spray 2 small ovenproof ramekins with cooking spray and set aside.
    3. Spray large fry pan with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add jalapeno, onion and red capsicum and sauté until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
    4. Add Angel Hair, ½ the stock, tomatoes, chilli powder, cumin, oregano and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cover. Stir once or twice over 3-4 mins. Add more stock or water if too dry.
    5. Transfer the mixture evenly between to 2 ramekins. Break 1 egg in each dish gently in the centre of the baking dish. Place carefully in oven and bake until whites are just set (approx. 7 min).
    6. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with lime wedges.

Slendier Noodles are made from Japanese konnyaku noodles and on the SH thread, JustJulie explained that we could buy them in a block at the Asian grocer for a fraction of the cost. There’s a white version and another brown speckled version that we named pond scum. Virtually no cals and very filling. Enjoy!

Thanks Thin…guess what the Purples will be having tomorrow night? 🙂 P

Hi All,

On the subject of stomachs, mine is pretty flat these days. But then I am a pear, like Lichtle, and still have fat deposits on thighs and bum but very slender upper half. And your ‘split book’ description is spot on Lichtle!

Also, I haven’t reached that ‘certain’ age yet, and have never had children. I think you’re right, Fast, that changing hormones with age affect where the fat is deposited. Also repeated pregnancies are likely to have weakened stomach muscles, resulting in slightly more protrusion in that general area?

I’m intrigued by the cardboard test, Thin, but might need more than two hands!

I didn’t fast last week, but was very light (58.5) on Saturday. I embarked on a campaign of biscuit eating and have been 59.9 the last two mornings. I’m sure I can’t have overeaten by 10000 calories since Saturday!? Still, I feel an at least semi-fast coming on…

But were they quality biscuits, Happy. Full description please, so that we can judge 😉
    I’m experimenting with mostly vegie lasagne (hardly any pasta. layers of sweet pot, zucchini and mushroom and two dear tiny apple and blueberry lattice pies (the fruit shop had really cheap blueberries, what is a girl to do?) Grabbing the cool evening we have tonight to eat!
    Interesting how much I panic when I’m only having one eating day between fasts this week 😆 P

P,

They were very nice, if you like coconut (I had some in the cupboard, bbe May 2015…). Luckily I had a considerable amount of help from OH!

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/9321/chewy-coconut-cookies.aspx

Love your conversation, gals. 😆

Just finished my evening meal. I have only eaten broccoli, cauliflower and a few little flakes of Parmesan together with 50 grams of tuna. Mini golf in morning plus big walk in the afternoon. That’s my day, plus one coffee this morning. Yay! Another good fast locked in. Now off to watch a movie with sleepover grand daughter. And then to early bed. 😉 I like my fast days more than my nonfast days.

cheers, Bay 🙂

Poor Bay. You’ll be hanging out for school to go back. Grandies are great, but exhausting. Sleep well.
    Happy, Coconut biscuits. Hmm… my apple and blueberry tart was fabulous too. I roll the pastry between 2 sheets of plastic, turning several times, then peel off one layer and use the plastic to hold the pastry as I press it in. You end up with an incredibly thin pastry case. Tasty, but much lighter. P

Lots of great tips, hints and recipes here everyone – thanks!

Hi Purple

Feel great this morning with a kg less and no carbs in my body yesterday. Drank a measured 1.5 litres of water yesterday. Had scrambled eggs for breakfast this morning and coffee. No carbs today if at all possible.

Re the discussion on noodles, I can’t stand them and have my stir fry or soup or whatever without any noodles. 😉

Overcast and grey day today. Thinking of things to do with kids. Enjoy your fast day.
    Cheers, Bay 🙂

Morning Bay, Also feeling great this morning, savouring my frothy coffee and contemplating an early walk at the river. I keep waking at 4am after a FD; what’s that all about? It’s taken me 4 fasts to undo the damage from a dinner party here two weeks ago involving, among other things, sticky date pudding & its naughty accompaniments followed by the leftovers consumed over several consecutive days. Back to 60.1kgs this morning and very happy 😆

Well done girls! Experts ?
    I’m busy cooking for a dinner party tomorrow night. Making creme caramel, there was a lump of the toffee left over and I needed to test how hard it was. Totally forgot that I’m fasting!!!! ?
    For reference, it WAS hard enough. No more food until dinner. Silly girl! P

Hi everyone
    Hmm toffee, yum ,and a couple of other recipes to try, thanks ladies. I’ve done a fast day this week and been at a steady 57.8 since but today’s fast day has turned into a Chinese takeaway lunch at work. I do not have the willpower to not join in so fast day aborted til Monday. I’m away with the girls for the weekend so I think 3 fast days next week will be much needed 🙂 Good luck to those fasting today x

Just skip the rice, Judy, to minimise the damage.
    Enjoy your weekend away. P ☺

Viewing 50 posts - 5,251 through 5,300 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.