Support please :(

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• My husband and I have just done our 7th fast having started on Boxing Day. We are counting carefully using myfitnesspal getting plenty of walking and being pretty normal on non-fast days – and not losing weight. I don’t want to quit because IF this was working I would be loving it. Does anyone have similar exp with not losing any weight or struggling to lose any?

Hi Carolina
    I started 5:2 a year ago along with a cousin. In the first 3 weeks, she lost about 10lbs and I lost absolutely nothing! I gave it one more week, and was then going to give up, when lo and behold…..7lbs were off! Different people seem to react differently.
    Now I have almost 40lbs off, feel fantastic, in great health and not noticing my fast days.
    I did have a plateau experience after about 6 months too, nothing came off, but I stuck with it, and suddenly it started to move again….very strange!

So….please continue for another week or two before giving up! After a while, the whole thing becomes second nature and is easy. I now miss my fast days if I don’t do them for some reason.

Good luck!

Are you having the 12-hour break from eating on your fast days? I find that essential.
    I started in November and lost 5kg in the first four weeks. But then over the Christmas-New Year festivities (and on hols from work, which makes it easier to graze)I gained half a kilo and just stayed at that weight for three weeks even though I did 3 fast days and was doing lots of walking. I was feeling perplexed.
    But this week, back at work, I’ve lost another 2kg.
    In retrospect, I think I plateaued because on my non-fast days I was eating more than usual – Christmas chocolates, drinking alcohol nearly every day, etc. This week I’m back to normal, which doesn’t mean not eating treats (had three slices of fruit cake one day) but does mean drinking less often (1-2 times a week for me).
    Dr Moseley has tips on this site for those who aren’t losing weight, check them.
    Good luck!

I’ve been doing it for two weeks, have lost nothing so far. I don’t have much to lose – about 6 or 7 lb, and I believe it takes longer if this is the case. Also I have not been too well this week, (cold/sinusitis/sore throat etc) maybe that’s got something to do with it? I am mystified, but I guess there must be some explanation. I will stick with it, as it is really not difficult to stick to, and will try to weigh myself less often.

Thanks all. Actually had a big shift in weight as soon as heat wave in Victoria eased overnight. I’m putting lack of progress down to Xmas NY and weather and am def not going to give up as am really enjoying it otherwise and love the thought that next summer I can have new much smaller bathers :).

Interestingly my husband seems to be really committed too – unlike other diets I’ve tried putting him on haha.

I had my bloods done at doctors in dec and am looking forward to having them done again in Feb. I might surprise him. Thanks kmck. I won’t give up. Cheers all

Hello. Hoping you can help me. I have the 2 day diet book however I am struggling to work out the daily calories needed on non-fast days to help reduce my weight by 3-5kg. My calculations are below. Are you able to suggest what would be a good calorie intake during the 5 days to lose this weight.
    Height 160.6
    Weight 56.5
    BMI 21.8
    BMR 1175 cal
    TDEE 1410 cal
    Female
    Age 47

Hoping you can help. I am enjoying the book but baffled in calculation in working out what my 5 day calorie intake should be for reducing weight by 3-5kg.

Hope to hear from someone.

Many thanks
    Nicky

Nicky, On non-fast days you should be aiming to stay at your TDEE of 1410 and for good health you shouldn’t go under your BMR on those days.

I am in a similar position with a TDEE of 1400 calories. It means my non-fast days are pretty restricted, but I have learned to adapt.

Just remember that as you lose weight and age, your BMR and TDEE will continue to fall and if you don’t adjust to it your weight may creep up again. Some people find it helpful to calculate their BMR and TDEE for their goal weight and use that as their guide for non-fast days. Then you are training your body for the amount of calories required to maintain your goal weight once you’ve attained it.

Thanks LJoyce. I am getting myself awfully confused now as I am now reading the 5;2 book by Kate Harrison and she herself works out her BMR and TDEE using the Mifflin St Jeor BMR formula but also mentions the Harris Benedict method which gives quite a substantial difference. Can I ask which one you use to calculate your figures. And also you mentioned that some people find it helpful to calculate their BMR and TDEE for their goal weight and use that as their guide for non-fast days – would that mean that they then calculate their fast days going by the TDEE for their goal weight or do you keep your fast day calories to what your current TDEE is? Thanks

Hi

I used the TDEE calculator on this website:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ which uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations. If you look at that page, they explain why they think you should use the Mifflin-St. Jeor method.

Hi Pride:

I believe you are making this way too complicated. If all you want to do is lose about 10 pounds (or 100), just compute on both calculators and use the lower TDEE of the two. Both calculators only give estimates, so by using the lower of the two you will have a better chance of losing the weight you want to lose more quickly.

Then just do 5:2 using the TDEE that you calculated for your diet days, too. Given the small amount of weight you want to lose, you will not lose it rapidly on 5:2, but you will lose it if you just eat 500 or fewer on your diet days and TDEE or less on your non-diet days. You do not have to worry about your BMR because it is included in your TDEE anyway and is meaningless for weight loss purposes.

Here is some additional information – you might check the TDEE post for more information: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.