Stopped losing weigth

This topic contains 27 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  LByrd1983 7 years ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

• Hello everybody.

I started the 5:2 diet last may.
    I was 81 kg at the time and know i’ m around 69 kg.
    Overall i am satisfied with the diet, its the only one that has worked for me, with all the extra heath benefits.

I do this diet i a “radical” way: normaly, for me, a fast day consists of 36 hours without eating anything.

The problem is that in the last 2 months i stopped losing weigth. I am stuck in the 69 kgs and i cant leave it, but i still have some fat to loose, specially in my stomach.

Does anyone has the same problem?

Hi Joao, what you are describing is very common! You have done really well so far. Keep doing what you are doing – the weight will start to come off eventually 🙂

Keep on keeping on! I was also at 81k a couple of years ago and dropped to 64 k the hard way – deprivation etc. The weight has started creeping back on (family photo shock) so I started doing 5:2. I haven’t weighed myself since July though so I can’t tell you exactly how it’s going – but it’s going, and with no deprivation! Try not getting on the scales for a few weeks maybe?

Joao,

As you lose weight the number of calories you need per day goes down, unless you increase exercise. So the slimmer you get, the less you can eat and continue to lose weight. Consequently, everyone has weight “plateaus”. Many on this blog have said they switch to 3 days a week fasting to get unstuck. I’ve gone to not eating until about 2pm on most of my non-fast days (when my wife’s working and not here in the morning) and I’m again losing weight on 5:2 with 36 hour fast (but I eat 2-300 calories of vegetables during the 36 hours).

My wife and I walk 3 miles every evening, but we’ve lost enough that last night, for the first time, we decided to run for one minute intervals during the walk. We feel fine today so I think we’ll continue with intervals. Running burns more calories and should help stave off the next plateau. I still need to lose about half a stone.

I to have the same problem my weight it fluctuating. On my fast day it goes down few pounds next day it up again. I having lost any weight in 2 weeks and it making me feel so depressed.
    Please help. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong. ?

I started last week. Did 2 days and didn’t lose. Not going to give up. Not sure if I counted the calories correctly. Really liked the fast days. Surprised at how not thinking of food leave time for the rest of my life!!!

If you want to count calories duna you can get a free programme called MyFitnessPal which will help.
    I seem to have hit a plateau too, but have lost half inch off my waist so dont lose heart Tina321 things are probably happening but not yet registering for you 🙂

I have been doing the 5:2 for about 4 or 5 months. Lost consistently at first, then had a long plateau. Sure enough, I am losing again, slowly. Started at 232 lbs, down to 212! I have learned to enjoy the fast days, wake up not hungry at all the following morning. I find that I have to remember to drink lots of water, and I don’t beat myself up too much if the results don’t immediately show. I love that this is a flexible way to eat less, eat with more quality and not have to think about it. For me it works!

Thank u lindyw got the fitness pal now. It does help.

Don’t give up – I also have had a plateau of about 6 weeks, but have stuck at it and even some weeks did 4:3 and now have started to lose weight again – it is going off slower – but – its still off!!! 🙂

Ijust logged on to forum for this same reason. I plateaued for last 6-8 weeks with up and down on weekly basis of about 1kg but not further improving. Since Feb I lost overall 11kg from 100kg so very happy but still I want to get down to ideal weight for me of 83kg, a way to go yet. I am glad to hear this is common, but not convinced it is because I am already lighter! Is it possible that there is “easy weight” to lose and “hard weight ” to lose and do I now need to step up the regime, either more days fasting or combine with exercise.
    By the way I have recognised now my main reason of weight gain like most people I guess was drinking alcohol which I have cut down on quite a lot so I am hoping this does the trick.
    But not sure how maintainable that one will be! Ha!

I had lost about 10 pounds in 10 weeks but now I have flatlined. I’m not losing any weight but I don’t appear to be gaining either. I have to be really careful not to get too fixated on the scale (even if I check it weekly). I feel devastated when I haven’t lost. Is it that your body adjusts to the diet and you stop losing the weight? I can’t even begin to think about increasing my fast days, as it is just too difficult. While I’ve managed to get through the headaches on fast days; I am still very irritable. I’m just on edge those days.

hi guys, ive been doing this plan for over a year now,
    i to have hit plateaus,
    one lasted almost 4 months! but the good news is while the weight loss stopped the inch loss kicks in, so get out that tape measure! keep at it, if you want to up your fast days then do so, i found swimming helped me kick start things again, but i do understand both of these options are not always do-able for everyone, the loss will start again if you continue as you are, but you need to give your body time to adjust and catch up. remember you didnt gain this weight over 6 weeks, for me it was over a few years it slowly crept on.
    keep an eye on your feed days and keep within your allowance, its so easy to over do things, i don’t count cals on non fast days, as this would drive me nuts and feel like every other diet out there. try not to get disapointed this is a life long change not a quick fix, good luck xx

I think I’m getting to the point where I’m going to start levelling off unless I step up and get a bit more strict on non-fastdays. One solution to the plateau situation I was thinking might work was the revised TDEE calculation. If I am aiming for my ideal weight then the ideal TDEE for weight loss is surely that calculated against my TARGET weight, not my current weight. Rather than calculate my current TDEE and try to stay roughly 1-200 calories under it on non-fastdays I am going to work out the TDEE for my goal weight and try to stay on or very slightly over it on non-fastdays instead. I think that should help kick me into gear again.

Good luck everyone.

If you keep just below the TDEE for your current weight, then you will lose weight.If you want to change anything then increase your activity or change it to something else for a while. Plateaus are just your body catching up with all of the changes. I had a plateau for a month but lost 7 inches!!!!!!!

However, if you lose to drop your TDEE to your ideal weight, then you may find it difficult to lose any weight at all, as your body tries to hang onto the calories that are being consumed.

I’ve hit plateaus whilst on other diets a lot of times. They’re a natural thing, and as said here, you might still be losing inches so don’t forget to measure besides just weighing!
    There are a few things that I think can work when you’re on a plateau. I’ve tried most of these at some point or another but the thing is, you can never say what will work for you…
    1. Cut out 1-200 calories on non-fast days
    2. Add some exercise
    3. Add another fast day
    4. Just eat normal for a week (!)
    That last one may sound a bit counterproductive, but I’ve found once that I was so sick of not losing weight I just ate whatever I wanted for a week. It caused me to gain 4lb, but then I kicked myself back on track and lost that 4lb in one week, after which the weightloss kept going instead of plateauing out again.

I hope this helps someone. Keep going strong people! 😉

I’m on alternate day fasting since April (complete fasting, no calories at all on fasting days) and encountered the same phenomenon. Right now I’m stuck since beginning of September. I’ve added some more sports but this didn’t help. Now I’m changing my diet by eliminating wheat products of any kind and replacement with oats, rye, Quinoa. Watching the Aetiology of fasting on u-tube and reading the book “wheat belly” I’m curious if this will make a change.

I’m enjoying the fasting days so much, I don’t want to break the program so I hope, dietary changes will make it!

Q

Wow Quizzle, sounds like you’re also a bit of a radical! 😉 When you do break the plateau, don’t forget to tell us how you did it!

Well it has been good to read this and I’ll try to get back on track. I lost 30 pounds in 6 months – then NOTHING for the last 6 – in fact I gained 4-5 back. About a month ago I gave up on this and have been searching for new ways. After reading this, I guess I’ll get back to 5/2 again. I don’t read that anyone had a 5-6 month plateau! And I bike. And I was very very good in following the fasting and not overeating other days.
    If anyone else has had such a long plateau and then started losing again – I’d love to hear about it – and if you have any hints. I may try 4/3 for awhile. And now that spring is here I’ll start walking more.
    Thanks

Hi Guys,

There is something I read, Lord knows where that it’s good to take a couple of weeks break from fasting twice a year. Maybe that’s why people who stopped the diet because it wasn’t working and then take it up again are once again having good results?

I intend to have some time off in June, (on vacation for 10 days. I won’t fast but I’ll be careful) I will have been fasting for going on four months by then.

Jaye

Hello, Joao,
    I started “fasting” in Jan. 2013. I still do 2 days (very strict about it, I may add) and my weight has levelled off. Naturally increasing the amount of exercise helps the weight to drop off a bit quicker. I now “fast” to maintain the weight loss already achieved. Perhaps for a couple of weeks you could try 4:3. I have done this in the past and found it helpful.

Dear DebG,
    Do not give up! I started the Fast Diet in Jan. 2013 and been doing it ever since. I bought all the books and followed the recipes in the beginning. I have a few favourites that I do stick to on my “fast days”. I find now 2 years plus later that my weight loss has steadied. I am pleased with how I look at 60+ because looking as good as I do, according to friends, takes effort and 2 days of limiting calorie intake is definitely worthwhile. Stick with it, for it is a commitment and life-changing regime.

Hiya DebG, Yep – definitely got you beat on the plateau length 😉 By February 2014 I had been doing 5:2 for 18 months and had lost about 4 stone. It had tailed off very gradually for about a year to ‘maybe’ 1lb or half a lb per month. I had not introduced any extra exercise at all in that 18 months (probably a bit less than I’d done before actually) and I decided it was time to start toning, having lost so much weight I didn’t want to get ‘floppy’.

I lost a further few lb in the first 3 months or so of my new exercise regime (4-5 swimming sessions of 1 hour or more per-week – roughly 10-15kilometers in total) which upped my previous exercise level by about 400%.

Then from May 2014 until now I have not lost a single lb and have actually put about 4-5lb on in that time. Exercise has always been a problem for me to be honest. The more I do the more I weigh usually, which I was expecting, as I knew I would put on a little muscle weight as I made the conversion from fat to muscle. Thing is, although I have toned up and can see a difference in my fitness and firmness I have not lost inches either really. Still wearing the same clothes as this time last year. The diet is fine too – I’m not saintly and do occasionally over-indulge on a non-fastday but it’s not often and I am making positive, healthy food choices these days.

So yeah, there you go – that’s a doozy of a plateau for you. Thing is – I don’t really care. I’m the smallest I’ve been since I was a teenager and I’m wearing size 10-12s. I’m still a good stone away from a ‘good’ BMI and probably 2 stone from being in reach of my ‘ideal’ BMI but whatever man – I’ll take it.

I’ve come to the end of my gym membership and I’m having some work done at home, so I’ll be unable to make the most of it for the next few months anyway, so I’ve decided to knock the gym on the head for now and concentrate on the diet alone again. See how that goes. Maybe mixing it up for a few months will help me push on again. Maybe not. As long as I’m hovering around this weight (which I am) I’m fine with that, whatever happens. I like the 5:2 and the weight loss aspect has been a lovely surprise to me over the past 2 and a half years but I LOVE the health benefits and they’ll keep me going on this lifestyle forever.

Good luck everyone else. 🙂

I was 11st 4lbs after Christmas, and trying to get down to 10st by beginning of June. Initially I was losing loads, and I thought I’d beat my target easily. Then I had a bit of an upwards blip when 2 weeks of business trips coincided with Easter. In spite of this, overall I have lost just over a pound a week. Only 2 pounds to go now, and there is still visible fat to lose, but I feel it’s getting harder to shift.

On the positive side, the weather’s improving and the days are getting longer so I’m able to spend more time gardening, dog walking and cycling.

I’m curious to see what happens when I reach 10 stone and stay on the 5:2. Presumably at some point I’ll reach an equilibrium weight based on my overall calorie intake vs expenditure? I don’t want to start losing muscle once the fat’s gone…

Hi everyone can people help – I stopped losing weight and now I am constantly hovering around 57.5-8 kg! This has been the same for two months now! I don’t know whAt im doing wrong I exercise on all my non 500 days and still not shifting. I don’t think I’m overeating at all! Please help

Hi guys, so I also started with intermittent fasting recently. In 2 weeks, (and I kid you not) I lost 9kg. During those two weeks I had no craving for food in my fasting period and no energy dips. I was really happy. But, all of a sudden I can’t seem to lose anymore. It stays constantly on 94kg. It’s really worrying and frustrating me. Note, I am currently in my 3rd week of fasting – so I was expecting to see the same type of weight loss that I have experienced the previous two weeks.
    I’ve also been decreasing my calorie intake, and everyday I’m in a calorie deficit.
    Can someone maybe help me out?

Hi 135:

The average weight loss on 5:2 is about a pound a week. Your large, initial loss was mostly water weight. There is no way you can lose that much fat in a week – even people that eat nothing average only a 4 or 5 pound loss a week.

You will now experience a period of time, maybe weeks, when your weight loss is 0 or very little. You might even gain a bit back, even though you are ‘doing everything right’. At the end of it all, you will average out to about a pound a week loss.

Here are some tips – you might read the “Warnings” post and the ‘Really, No Weight Loss’ post to give you an idea of how 5:2 works: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

DebG I feel your pain. I didn’t experience a 6 month plateau but a 3 month and counting plateau.

I lost something like 40 pounds in the first year of 5 2 and then flatlined essentially. I am super active as well. I love exercise.

I am trying 4 3 and reducing my calorie intake on feed days to see how that goes. (Btw I also left 5 2 in search of greener pastures so to speak. I tried 16/8 and even stopped diet and exercise for a week.) I will let you know if the 4 3 works if you like. So far nothing though and I am 14 days in.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply.