Starting today (5/20), but for anyone just starting

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Starting today (5/20), but for anyone just starting

This topic contains 427 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  NorthGeorgia 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 435 total)

• Website not allowing me to comment

I’ve hit the buffers

yesterday was my fast day and I had scrambled eggs early because somebody was coming to fix my shower in the morning

then the day got busier and I was out until after 10 p.m. just drinking water which was fine

When I got back I had my soup

I went on the internet getting hungrier and hungrier and then I did my usual thing of starting to eat

at 11:30 p.m. I had THREE tortilla wraps with hummus on them one after the other

As I was eating them I felt so depressed but I was so hungry

Why didn’t I just go to bed?

when I finally went to bed I just lay there and thought what I now have I done where was all that motivation and focus and hope it had all just shrivelled to nothing

Today I just feel so completely disheartened and sceptical as to whether I’m going to continue there doesn’t seem to be much point I’m just a fatty and that’s that

like I said before 99% of this is psychological so I’m just going to try and sit this downer out and see if I feel more motivated later on today – yeah right

I’m going to try and watch the calories today my usual thing would be to just pig out but I’m going to try and fight that compulsion

Psychologically I just feel like I always did the food is stronger than me I’m dependent on it and I need it
    All that crap

I’m fed up

Graham, buck up! You had a weak moment, so what? It happens to us all. Just move on. Think of it this way, you may have failed the fast day threshold, but even with your lapse, it was still a calorie-restricted day. Do better on the next one, and yeah, at that hour, just go to bed. Dream about food. That happens to me sometimes.

My friends, I failed the exercise thing. Let the harassment begin! I allowed myself to sleep in on the holiday, watch of all things, the Nathan’s hot dog eating contest and then got lost in Wimbledon and cooking a decadent dessert for the party we went to.

Two non-fast days in a row. The first I ate all day gradually. Not the worst day, but not the best choices. Yesterday I grazed again but dinner was over the top, including beers. So I am adding a third fast day for the week today and hoping the two pounds I added will go away.

and maybe I will restart workouts this weekend?

Alex

Hey guys!

Graham… Don’t quit! So you had a bad day, I also had one… let’s have a better day today. Focus your mind, take a deep breath and tell yourself it was just a hiccup, you CAN DO THIS! We are here to support you, no matter what! As Alex said, we all have weak moments, that’s why we’re here, so take our support and positivity and use it to help you have a better day today.
    Take yourself out for a long walk and for each step you take, remind your head that your body is removing those wraps from yesterday, every step is important, every step will reduce. Drink water, get some celery sticks and sit them in a glass of water at night, if you want a snack, have a celery stick or 5 if you need them, be strong:
    YOU CAN DO THIS!

Have a better day and please don’t quit, you’re here for a reason, you posted what you did so we could help you, please let us help 🙂

@ Alex – don’t sweat the non-exercise, I skipped 2 days this week due to work and laziness, I’ve just forced myself to do a half hour HIIT and I’m sweaty and disgusting, but I’m glad I did it, as I won’t be free to do any for a few days I don’t think. As long as you keep trying with the fasting/staying mentally focused, you’re all good! Go for a walk if you need a kick-start? That always works wonders and you’ll feel better afterwards!

Be strong my friends, we do this together and we are stronger for it!

Alx, not sure which state you live. Hope you are ok re the earthquake. I’m not good at excercise end too. But after today, I will have more time in the evening.

Penguinchick, are you from US too?

Graham, your experience is quite common among the fasters. It certainly happened to me a number of times that I ate a lot more than I needed, in both fast and NFDs. I tend to reflect and work out a stretegy to deal with it. And the strategy may be “let it go”‘ don’t beat myself up, make better choices next time.

I’ve been taking it easy eating wise last few days – big deadline is tomorrow and cooped up in front of computer many hours this weekend.

Have a great Sunday

As expected my weight stays the same as last week. It’s ok and I’ll resume proper fasting from today.

Found this link very useful as reminder:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Fasting today and I will be strong.

Have a lovely Monday everyone!

Hey again!

Had a super busy day again and almost did a fast day, but had a seafood salad and made that my one meal. I did snack on some celery, peanut butter (on the celery) and I had some fruit. Was doing great, then I was doing some late work before tomorrow and I ate the remaining bits of chocolate from a bag the kids had been eating… dumb yes, but hey ho, it happens sometimes!
    @phoenix – No, I’m from the Uk, I just keep odd hours lol! 😉 Better to be the same weight than more, so you’re still winning! Thanks for the link too, very useful info.
    Good luck with your FD, I’m fasting Monday too, so I’ll be strong with you!

@graham – Hope you’re still with us? Please don’t sweat the small stuff – we’re with you on this journey and it will be tough, we all know how you feel, we have the same issues, but we will be a support to one another.

@alex – you got lost in Wimbledon? You’re here on hols? I’ve been glued to the tennis all week, looking forward to week 2, as it’s going to be amazing with all the great matches being played! So exciting if you’re going? I’ve not been for years, but I used to go every year and watch all the matches I could possibly see, it’s awesome!

Happy fasting if you are having a FD too, have a great day!

Hi everyone
    I’m ill with cold

Skipping the fast day tomorrow

Still feeling very unmotivated to put it mildly

Hope you are all doing well thanks for the support but – ugh

I can’t find my mojo with 5-2 at all at the moment

Hi All, back from the weekend.

I live on the east coast of the U.S., just outside Washington, DC. No earthquakes here. I got lost in Wimbledon via the television coverage! Wish I could have been there in person.

Not my greatest week. Despite the added fast day, I weighed in this morning UP TWO POUNDS! How did I manage this? Clearly I am going too heavy on the non-fast days and I am certainly not moving enough. Also I think my food choices yesterday have me retaining a fair amount of water. So now my overall weight loss is no longer impressive given the amount of time. So what. I am back at it with a reset fast day today. With hope I shed an extra pound just off water weight.

Its clear my body is fighting me. The easy weeks of loss are over. Have to be patient and break through.

Alex

Graham,

I am sorry you are ill. I hope you feel better. Its hard to get anything done when you don’t feel good.

Today is turning out to be a miserable fast day here. We are having torrential rains that are flooding out buildings at my work. Lots of problems that have ruined my mood and my day. So now I am hungry and want to sooth my stress by breaking the fast day. But I am not going to do it, and really for one and only one reason… YOU!

If I give in today I feel like I would be commiserating with you and agreeing that its ok to derail ourselves. It is not. We can forgive if it happens and move on, but we can also use each other to inspire ourselves to a better choice. If I quit today, well two makes a trend, and I don’t want to do that. So yes, I am straight-up guilting you to get back on the plan when you are well.

Alex

Alex
    Good for you!
    You’re right we have to take the rough with the smooth

I’m feeling really under the weather with a heavy cold
    I think mentally I am over my big sulk
    Which is why being ill is very frustrating not only because it’s the **middle of bloody summer** but if I’d been well I could easily have fasted today and made my comeback!

As it is I’m too sickly to face it

So thank you for all the guilt Alex! Bring it on
    I’d be so heartbroken to stop now after feeling genuinely excited by how well I was doing

The grown up thing to do is get rid of this stinker of a cold and plan to do my Thursday fast

Thanks also to everyone for keeping up the fight xx

Graham, you are doing the right not to fast when you are unwell. I did the same last week when I had a very light anxiety attack (it scared me as I’m always, touch wood, very healthy). I found reading stories in this forum very useful for motivation. You may want to try this too.

Alx, follow this link to a topic (a funny story too) about gaining weight:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

You will find fluctuation of weight is common and often cannot be explained. But it will pass.

Good on you to hang on. During my fast days I tried to find something physical to do – meetings, walk the floor to talk to colleagues, long walk at lunch time, massage, pedicure etc etc. In the past I would fast for 24 hours but now I only skipped breakfast and have fruit for lunch and a small dinner. This has really helped as my dehydration was very bad when I fast for 24 hours, didn’t matter how much water I drank.

Penguinchick, thanks for your kind words & encouragement, not just to me but others too. My fasting went well yesterday. Managed a long walk too. Need to get into dancing exercise tonight.

NFD today. Kept a piece of birthday cake from yesterday and will eat it later today.

Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone!

Evening to you all!

I’m SO happy that you’re posting, even when unwell Graham, sucks that you feel horrid though… My mum always said chicken soup made for the best ‘cold’ remedy ever and I’ve always found that to be true… It was a funny chicken soup though, it had rice in it and was lemony, but OMG, SO delicious – yet low in calories and incredibly nutritious… I’ll try and find a recipe, as I don’t know it off by heart. Wishing you better very soon, but stick with healthy foods, citrus is good for Vit C, which fights colds, so plenty of water and maybe a ginger/lemon hot drink, with a little honey in to soothe your throat if it’s sore.

@ Phoenix – you’re welcome! We’re here to help each other overcome, you all help me by being here and posting your journey. I’ve had an ‘ok’ day (FD), but it’s 23.45 and I’m SO hungry, I will go to bed soon, but if my tummy rumbles, I won’t be able to sleep, so I saved 100 calories so I can have a little zero fat yogurt instead of my milk before bed. I have only had carrot soup and a few celery sticks, with a little peanut butter on a couple, so I’m within my 500, but I have felt really hungry all day. Must be something in the air this week, we’re all feeling it! I’m going to try hard to resist more than just a couple of spoonfuls, as I know the hunger will pass if I allow it to! I usually find Monday FD really easy, but today I’ve thought of nothing but food!
    Well done on the walk and dancing, I haven’t had time for my workout today, hoping I can squeeze one in tomorrow, as it really helps with making me not want to eat and feel like I’ve achieved more in a day if I get a workout/dance/walk done. Was it your birthday yesterday? If so, belated Happy birthday!

@alex – flooding doesn’t sound good, but well done on sticking with the fast, I’m here sticking with it too, only 12 hours to go (I have my seafood salad ready for tomorrow, SO excited to eat that lol!).
    Hope the rains ease for you there and that you get some sunshine to dry it all up.
    I have managed to watch the highlights of the tennis today, some amazing matches, but I’m sorry to see young Coco Grauff go out, apparently she had an upset tummy or something which will have affected her game I’m sure. She reminds me of the Williams sisters when they started! We do have a UK hopeful now though, Konta is through to the next round and ofc my hero, Federer! Such an exciting week for tennis! (Sorry if no-one else is into it!) 😮

Have a great Tuesday and get well soon Graham 🙂

Happy Tuesday for me, you guys are almost through it.

Fast day was fine. 600 calories and that’s that. Wasn’t terribly hungry but wasn’t terribly happy either.

I think the key to breaking my plateau will be patience. Clearly my body is trying to maintain some kind of homeostasis and you have to wait it out. What I can control, and need to, is my non-fast day food choices. Had a small breakfast, maybe a little carb-heavy but I should be able to keep lunch and dinner under control.

There’s a tidal wave coming for me. Next week I am on vacation. While my days will be more active, there is no fasting on vacation and indeed much eating and drinking. I am fearing how much I might backslide over the week. The upside is I get to use schedule-less days to get back into some regular exercise and hope wake myself up to enjoying that again.

Keep on keeping on my friends, and get well Graham.

Alex

It is very odd. I posted this morning but the post is not showing. Hope this time it will get through.

Penguinchick, you are doing so well. I tend not to stay up late, due to early start every weekdays. May be you can try to sleep earlier nights before fasting? If I stay up past 10pm I would be very hungry too.

Alx, you are spot on about being patience is the best way to deal with plateau. I’m in the same boat – struggling to reduce past 68kg barrier for 3 months now. Lets be patience together, with good food and exercise management. I’m off to Raratonga at end of Aug for a week, so also need to plan ahead. I should reduce processed carb (my biggest weakness), and eat plenty of fish, salad and fruit.

Graham, please ensure you are hydrated. Chicken soup is best – I agree with Penguinchick. If you got not time or energy to make soup from scratch, the tin or package one will be good too. Take care.

Yesterday NFD went better than expected. Skipped breakfast, had a small lunch, chocolate cake saved from the day before, and a small dinner.

Will repeat the same for today, minus the cake and add an apple.

Have a lovely Wednesday everyone!

Another good NFD yesterday. Managed as planned apart from eaten bread & crackers (rather than fruit) after a light dinner – room for improvement.

Hope everyone is doing well, and have a fantastic Thursday!

Hi Guys. I am in the strange days of summer. My last two NFDs went according to plan. Better choices, more reasonable portions. Today is supposed to be a fast day, but I already see a fail due to a lunch meeting and dinner tonight. So I am resigned to just being another healthy NFD, but it wont be a fast day, leaving me with just tomorrow to get in my second fast of the week before my vacation.

Graham, how are you doing friend? Stay with us!

Pheonix and Penguin, you guys are my rocks. Keeping it steady.

Alex

Alx, I would do the same as you – treat today as a healthy NFD. In smaller lunch meeting (just 3 people and simple food), I managed to put a plate of cut apples in front (and not eating it) at one fast day. But it would be too difficult in your situation.

Yesterday fast day went well, and enjoyed an one hour massage. However because of dinner portion was too small, I had a sandwich after dinner. It’s winter here, and I feel hungrier than in summer. My plan is not to overeat main meals, and if I need to eat something afterwards, so be it. Will try to eat fruits rather then sandwich though.

NFD today. Meeting a friend for lunch. Will put half portion in a container before eating. No other anticipated eating challenges this weekend. You never know – this can be the most risky time when my alert is low.

Have a great Friday everyone!

Hey guys,

I’ve been a bit busy but I’ve also been struggling a bit, I tend to go off the radar when I get a bit low, but I’ve made myself log on.
    I was fasting today, wrote everything down, listed cals; I’d done 345 cals by 6pm, having had my soup/salad. I had some (calories) left over for a last thing snack and then had a spoon of pasta /rolls eyes! I was making some for tomorrow and it was hot and it had a divine smell…then I had a teaspoon of peanut butter, no control whatsoever! I don’t think I went too much over, but late night spoon of pasta/peanut butter V. scales in the morning… /rolls eyes again. Where is my control?!

Glad you are doing good Al/Phoenix, good work both! I’m jealous of your massage Phoenix, haven’t had one in weeks.
    I did do one brilliantly virtuous thing today though, which I feel good about… two whole hours of exercise! 30 min HIIT followed by a 90 min yoga class. I’m going to pay for it tomorrow, but the yoga was worth every second of pain, I love yoga and felt/feel so good immediately, going to make it a thrice weekly thing, like I used to, pre-kids! (remind me I said that tomorrow! lol).

Weigh in tomorrow and NFD, but I’m going to try and make it a good day regardless of the scales.
    Hope you are feeling better Graham? Do let us know how you are 🙂 We are all wishing you better soon!

Have a fab Friday all, I’m pretty busy this weekend, so may not be able to post til next week, but I will be with you all in my mind and heart and wishing the lbs away for us all! 😉

Hey guys.. thanks for continuing your journeys with me. It’s comforting to hear how we all meet our challenges.

I make yesterday a decent NFD and am doing a fast day today. The last before my vacation begins tomorrow, so this will be my last post until July 22nd. I hope I return here to find you guys still going strong. I will need your support I am sure.

It occurs to me that when I return, we will have just crossed the 2-month mark. Not bad. Went pretty quickly. I thank you guys for that too.

Alex

Penguinchick, you have been very disciplined, please don’t be too hard on yourself. Yes I enjoyed the massage on Thursday. It wasn’t the relaxing type however, but a Chinese Tui-na that stimulates pressure points & can be quite painful. And I always felt good afterwards.

Alx, have a relaxing holiday.

Graham, get well soon.

Attended a Zumba class yesterday. Tried it once a few years ago but gave up because I couldn’t to keep up with the moves. I decided just to enjoy it this time, and I had so much fun, same as everyone in the class. I should do more Zumba classes.

NFD for last 2 days gone reasonably smoothly, apart from eaten perhaps too much after dinner. The real test will be the formal weigh in tomorrow.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Weigh in showed an increase of 100g from last week. Quite surprised as I thought I had a good week. Maybe something to do with water retention after the Saturday Zumba class – I haven’t sweated that much for a while.

On top of Zumba, I plan to do a step class with older daughter at weekends. So need to resign to possible higher initial water retention in next couple of weeks.

Fast day today. Lots of meetings/interviews etc – should make today goes fast.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

hi guys
    sorry I haven’t been writing on here
    completely over my cold and therefore totally run out of excuses!

this thread has been such a strong motivation to get back into the 5:2 so thanks for your support and encouragement and your EXAMPLE all of you

fast day tomorrow (I’m dreading it having been out of the mind zone)
    will keep you posted xx

New day tomorrow, remember all the successes and you’ll get back into it. That’s what I keep telling myself anyway. Good luck.

Graham, I’m so glad you have recovered. Take it easy and make sure you are hydrated properly.

Xatie, agree wholeheartedly. While we should learn from the past, we should always look forward.

A good fast day yesterday until the evening. An apple at lunch time then small dinner. But consumed a sandwich, a few crackers and pineapple pieces after that. The total calories would be close to 800c. Not too worry about the calories but I need to substitute sandwich with something else. Fruit is too light, may be I should try lean protein.

NDF today. Meeting all day and there will be a very healthy work lunch. I will work on not eating sandwich after dinner tonight – this has become a habit lately and i need to manage it.

Have a fantastic Tuesday everyone!

hi everyone
    did my fast day today and it was fine
    even though I’m still a bit fed up I’m glad to be doing something again and hope I can fully recover the resolve I had when I started it was great to be so optimistic and looking forward to losing weight and being able to wear a whole different set of clothes – I need to get that motivation back it was great

how horrible it would be to arrive at the New Year’s resolutions next January and thinking “Oh god I’VE NEVER BEEN SO FAT If only I had conntinued in July!! Why did I stop!! I would be half way there instead of having to start again from scratch!”

like you say Pheonix, let’s try and learn from the past (I have regretted stoppng so many times)

let’s all of us keep going and GET THIS DONE
    I want to go into January saying “look how slim and gorgeous I am – THANK HEAVEN I kept going and I’m not trying to start another stupid New Year’s resolution to stop being a beached whale”

and I hate to say it but **January is not that far away**

hope everyone is fired up and enjoying the process – or at least like me – keeping their head down and hoping to ride the next wave of motivation when it arrives xx

Hey guys 😉

So glad you’re better Graham, good to hear and also that your FD went well. Phoenix, well done on the zumba class! I’ve got a vid for that and I too found the moves a bit of a ‘mare, so I gave it up. I’ve been super busy as it’s the 2nd to last week before kids break up, plus work is also super busy – why schools leave everything to the last week, I’ll never know! Makes it such a bind for parents trying to fit everything in. I’m off again in a minute for another ‘end of year show’ :/
    Anyway! I haven’t lost an ounce again, I’ve had good days and bad days this week, along with a headache and lack of motivation – I’m sure you all know that feeling of having tried SO hard and nothing shifts…
    Still, at least I haven’t gained – though I have a confession – I was SO mad today, I ate a whole packet of M&M’s chocolate, then felt sick all afternoon.
    I’m on a NFD today and haven’t breached 800 cals yet, but most of my cals have been BAD today, so I’ll make up for it by doing a super controlled NFD tomorrow and no dinner for me tonight. (I’m not THAT disciplined Phoenix, sadly – or I wouldn’t be here I guess! lol).
    I’ve kept up with my HIIT workouts and doing yoga and HIIT again tomorrow, plus once the kids are off school next week, we’re going on long walks (I’m bribing them with a trip to the cinema), so I’m telling them they are helping me to get fit if they join me!
    We’re also planning a hiking holiday in August, so that’ll shift my fat backside haha! (OMG, I hate hiking and countryside! Haha!).
    I’m mad this week as my hubby has lost 2 stone, so he’s overtaken me and this was ‘my thing to do’, he was ‘helping me’, so I feel a bit surpassed (not that I’m competitive much, obviously!). I’m trying to manage my feelings, as he’s so amazing, but I guess I thought I was the one fasting, he’s not and he’s lost a stone more than me in the same time frame… He does extreme exercises though and also weight training, so it does make sense. (Still, Grrrr!).

Right, going to focus my mind and be positive, thank you all for your lovely posts, it really helps me focus, you’re all amazing and doing great, we will do this together! xx

Oh, just another note, meant to mention Phoenix (anyone who fancies it), I have a fantastic recipe for you if you like fish?
    Green salad, whatever leaves you like, grated beetroot, salad onions (finely chopped), baby sweetcorn (chopped), red/yellow pepper, whichever you prefer, 1 x chopped avocado, any seeds you like sprinkled over, then add thin strips of smoked salmon or chunks of steamed salmon and a handful of prawns, mix it up, add the zest and juice of half a lemon/lime and hey presto, it’s my favourite lunch and it is really filling, I sometimes have it for dinner as well, as it’s low cal and super healthy with fibre and vitamins bursting out! Have a go, it’s yummy! 🙂

Thanks Penguinchick, the recipe sounds so yummy and I’ll try it this weekend. I had headache at last fast day too. Trying to find low calories electrolyte. 2 coffee, lots of Jasmine tea and fasting seem to cause de-hydration. This is why I no longer fast longer than 18 hours.

Graham, all of us have good and bad days. Let’s persist. Also tell yourself you are gorgeous already. The weight loss will make you more gorgeous.

NFD went well yesterday with a healthy lunch and small dinner. Had a sandwich as part of dinner and didn’t snack after dinner – a small sucess.

Whole day meetings again today so eating wise should be well under control.

Have a lovely Wednesday everyone!

A reasonable NFD yesterday. Whole day interview. Ate a small snack in the morning so my stomach won’t make too much noise during interview. Sandwich for lunch, a slice and a few chocolate biscuits. Then a normal dinner. Surprisingly my weigh in this morning shows a drop of a few hundred grams. It shows how easy weight can fluctuate so using this as a sole measurement is not accurate.

Fasting today and I’m ready for it.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Yesterday a good fast day till after dinner – again ate a sandwich that can do without. Still managed to control calories to about 800c.

NFD today. With no expected eating challenges (office morning tea etc), it should be an ok day.

No particular eating challenge this weekend too. But this can be my most challenged time, as I tend to get too relaxed. Plan to do zumba and a step class with daughter this weekend. Last attempt at step class was 2 years ago – I probably won’t be able to walk after the class.

Have a lovely Friday and weekend everyone!

Hey guys,

Hope you’re all well today?
    How did your FD go yesterday Phoenix? I had mine yesterday too and at weigh in today, have lost 3/4 lb… not much, but better than nothing! I only had 390 kcal yesterday, as I wanted to see if less meant more loss and apparently it kick starts my system, who knew! I always fast for a minimum 36 hours, sometimes I go over by 2 hours, but mornings are easier than afternoons, which is why I do my strange hours (11pm Sun to 11am/1pm Tuesday etc).
    I’m in slightly better spirits today, but slightly worried about this weekend as I have friends staying, which means drinking, which I don’t usually do, so I’m going to opt for the lowest cal drinks and try to sip to make them last longer, but also not to be a killjoy by bleating on about how ‘I’m trying to lose all my fat’, wish me luck!

Well done on your control Phoenix – better to stop when you get to a certain point, than continue and lose the plot! Hope your step class goes well!
    @graham – Well done on keeping that mindset, you’re doing great and we’re here with you, we know how you feel and we’re all on the same journey, glad you’re back on the right path and over your cold!
    @alex – Hope you’re enjoying your vacation and managing to stay more or less on track, holidays can be tricky! Not sure if you’re logging to read the forums, but if you are, we’re here supporting you 😉

Happy Friday to all, stay strong, we can do this together, you guys are such an inspiration to me! Have a great weekend! xx

Hi guys
    Great to read all your news and how are your persevering
    Really inspiring

I’m doing great on my fast days but terrible on my no fast days

but I haven’t put any weight on the 8 pounds I lost initially I’ve kept off

Another 5 or so off and I would be **FOURTEEN STONE** something!

Even if it’s 14 at 13lb I won’t care

I haven’t weighed 14 stone something for I can’t remember how long – years and years

Penguinchick
    Great your husband list the weight but I know how you feel my friend and I talk about being fat all the time and she has lost a stone! (doing keto)

I was convinced I would be leading the way as her example!
    Serves me right

But it’s actually really encouraging because I do feel if she can do it so can I so maybe you should look at it that way with your husband I’m sure you already do

Enjoy your Zumba Pheonix!

NFD today has been quite low calorie for once
    Onward and upward xx

Penguinchick, my last fast Day Thursday was ok but consumed 800c. How did you manage to fast for 36 hours? I gave up 24 hours fasting due to bad dehydration.

Graham, welcome back! I too find NFDs much harder to manage. Especially when I let my guard down – when I thought it was an easy NFD at weekends, I usually over ate. Let’s always be mindful all the time.

NFDs have been ok since Friday. Had eaten more carb and protein at dinner time, and it seems to curb my longing for sandwiches in the evening.

Saturday Zumba class went well, however still couldn’t follow the steps. I had a lot of fun and just made up the dance step when I got confused.

Did the step class this morning, after a 2 year absent It was hard, and I was out of breadth most of the time. But I was keeping up with the class. Will keep going to this Sunday class.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Happy Sunday!

Well done Phoenix on the Zumba class! Even if you were out of breath, you’re doing something really positive and you’ll get better at it in no time, huge step forward 😀
    Re: 36 hour fasting… Here’s what I do:
    Sunday night I have my NFD meal around 6-7pm, then I don’t snack unless it’s a veggie (celery/carrot/banana/apple) and at about 11pm that’s my cut off point for not eating past that time. I go to bed, fast all through the day Monday, having my FD meal at about 6pm, I drink lots of water, when I get hungry I eat a celery stick and have a hot coffee (with milk and I count the calories in it). I have a carrot soup for my FD meal, which is 500g and costs me 192 calories, add the milk on my coffee to that through the day and I’m at about 292, I have 1 small slice of wholewheat bread (55Kcal) with each bowl of soup from my allowance, so that’s maximum of 110 kcal for the bread which makes 412 total, then just before I go to bed, I have 100g of zero fat greek yogurt @ 54 kcal = total 468 kcal, then if I really need it, I’ll have some more celery or an apple or something to take me to about 500 or so. Then on the Tuesday, I eat nothing all morning and have my first NFD food from midday, but I’m usually not hungry until about 12.30-1pm, so that covers my 36+ hours with no more than 500 kcal. I don’t deviate much from this standard on FD’s, as I know what the calories are, but if I do have something different, it’s 400g salad with prawns (111 kcal for half a pack and salad is very low, no dressing at around 50-70 kcal for a plate full!) Hope that helps, happy to elaborate further if you need more info.
    I do find Thursday FD’s harder than Mondays for some reason, which is odd, as Monday follows 3 x NFD’s, but I’m always hungry all day on a Thursday :/ It’s not easy, but I’ve never broken the rules I set in my head for FD’s, as I always say to myself, you’ve only got ‘xyz’ hours to go and then I drink lots of water to fill me up – though the toilet visits are frequent lol!

@graham – So glad you’re back on track, I know exactly how you feel and yes, I am pleased for my hubby, it’s just a nag in my head that ‘this was MY journey’ and I’ve done so little for ME for so many years, I’ve always been a ‘giver’, so I am trying to ‘take’ a little something for me for a change, get my body back and my sanity with it!
    I’ve been really crap about exercise for a few days, but planning a big yoga session today, as I’m feeling aches which had vanished with all the exercising, so back n that horse again from today.
    I also had a fab weekend with friends and didn’t over eat/drink! I served salads and fish for the dinner I prepared and everyone loved it, commenting how healthy and filling it was and we didn’t drink nearly as much alcohol as I thought we might (I only had one drink all night – and felt quite tipsy!).

Have a great day everyone and thank you SO much for your wonderful support and encouragement, you’re all amazing <3 xx

Oh – I forgot to say Phoenix – don’t forget that out of the 36 hours, at least 12-16 of those will be sleeping hours! 😉

Thanks Penguinchick for the tips. When I was doing 24 hours fast, I was consuming no calories during that time. For e.g. ate dinner on Sunday at around 6pm, then no calories (but black coffee and Chinese tea) till 6pm on Monday. I thought it would be good for my guts to have a proper rest. But I was very de-hydrated and had to give up. So now I normally eat an apple around 1pm during fast day, then a small dinner.

The formal weigh in shows no change. I know some is to do with higher water retention due to more exercises. But on reflection, I started eating from 5am on Saturday (I woke up at 3.30am & couldn’t go back to sleep); plus larger portion of meals on Sunday. So will aim to do better. For e.g. if I wake up early on weekend, I could do a Pilate class in the lounge.

Have a lovely Monday everyone!

Hi everybody! I am back from vacation well-rested and reasonably restored. I am so glad to see this thread lives on and will catch up on the posts as soon as I can catch up with my work emails. For the first time in more years than I can remember I actually disconnected for a week. It was glorious, but now I am paying the price.

I left for vacation at 183 pounds, 12 pounds down from my 5/20 start. I returned and weighed in this morning at 189. I wish I could say I was surprised. A little more than I predicted, but close. My theory is this, while I lost 12 pounds, my body has not established the lower weight as the new-normal. As soon as I brought on more calories regularly, I zipped right back up the scale. So what. Duh. Predictable.

I will not tempt you all with the reports of my meals and caloric indulgences. Good times with good people. The interesting part for me was that the first few days how quickly I got full. That was great. Really showed how the plan impacts your body. Of course, push the limits and you can get back to old ways really quickly.

So back on the plan I go until my lower weight becomes the new normal, at which point I expect it will get harder to go back up the scale so quickly.

Today is a fast day. I expect it will be a painful one given the wicked week I have had (so worth it on a great vacation). I expect to drop off 3 of the 6 pounds gained back this week. I know I can do it because I have done it before and I fail to believe my body won’t recognize the “starvation” signal and go back into 5:2 mode as quickly as I left it.

I hope you are all well. I will learn more when I can go back and read your posts. Happy Monday!

Alex

Welcome back Alex, and it’s great that you have had a fantastic holiday.

When I returned from an overseas holiday, I always able to loose about 2-3kg quickly due to water retention. This may apply to you?

Agreeing with your comments about how long to get bodies to recognize the new norm. I’ve been struggling in last few months to reduce below 69kg. Sometimes I got down to 67kg, but most of the time it stuck around 69kg. Saying that I do need to closely examine my eating habits – too much snacking during NFD, and I need to be more discipline about no breakfast every day.

A less disciplined fast day yesterday. It was ok till dinner time. Again consumed around 800c.

NFD today. Will skip breakfast and be disciplined about lunch and dinner.

Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone!

Hey Pheonix,

You were right. I lost 3.5 lbs during yesterday’s fast which went by surprisingly easy. I think my body prefers the lower-calorie regime. So many days in a row of vacation eating got really heavy. So hopefully I can recover my pre-vacation status quickly.

I am also pursuing a disciplined NFD today. I think I’ve got it. I am learning to be patient, I think.

How are Penguin and Graham doing?

Alex

Good to hear about your rapid weight loss yesterday, Alex.

Hope Graham & Penguinchick are doing well too.

Yesterday NFD went ok. Weight remains the same as the day before.

NFD today. Plan to eat more fruits and less processed carb.

It has been raining constantly in Wellington last fortnight. The forecast predicts no rain over next five days & sun is pouring over me at them moment – Hooray!

Have a lovely day too everyone!

Hey Guys,

My NFD yesterday did not go as planned. I don’t think it was a nightmare, but I was presented with too many good options and sampled more than I should have. So I am going to fast today instead of Thursday and then depending how I do on Thursday maybe add a third fast day this week.

I like my new trend of refusing to freak out. Finally finding some zen in my middle age I guess. Some things I am noticing. Don’t freak out about my plan, and I don’t freak out, and I am generally on the plan a lot more than I am not. This philosophy is working in other ways too. Simple and true.

Fake it til you make it!

Alex

My NFD yesterday didn’t quite go according to plan too. Decided to eat a small snack at 10.30am, so my stomach won’t make too much noise when meeting with boss. Ate a normal size lunch that I felt over full afterwards. Then a normal size dinner and again felt over full afterwards. I need to reduce portion size.

Alex, I like your ideas of not letting ourselves to freak out, and fake it till you make it!

Fast day today and I will be disciplined.

A sunny day today in Wellington. Have a great Thursday everyone!

hi everyone
    I saw this on a t-shirt y I love it

RE-SET
    RE-ADJUST
    RE-START
    RE-FOCUS
    AS MANY TIMES AS YOU LIKE
    JUST DON’T QUIT

Hey all,

Hope you’re coping with this awful weather! (I’m very much in the ‘Winter is Coming’ camp!) lol
    Stay hydrated and safe!
    I had a great FD Monday, with ABSOLUTELY zero lost. Also had an excellent and very controlled NFD Tuesday/Wednesday, again, zero loss. I was well hydrated, ate salad and chicken breast/or fish, no puds, no cakes, no biscuits, nothing remotely naughty. This is so slow sometimes.
    I must admit with this heat, I have had no energy to do my HIIT training, so I’ve lost a week, though I’ve still been busy and active, just not high end.
    I’ve slept well, despite the heat and aside from a little ice cream last night, nothing sweet at all.

I will take on board your post Graham, that makes good sense! I’m trying not to freak out Alex, but it’s hard when you do all the right things and nothing moves.
    I suppose I haven’t gained any, but that’s beside the point, wth would have happened if I’d eaten what a ‘normal’ person would eat?! I’d be a stone heavier maybe?
    Trying to stay focused and positive, I’ll re-read some posts to give me some sense, as I can’t work out why I’ve not lost a bean this week, the maths don’t add up at all.

Happy fasting if you’re on a FD like me today, I had a green salad and a boiled egg just now, I’ve got some carrot soup for later if I need it, but I’ve not been hungry in the heat, just drinking lots of water.

Happy day to you all xx

JUST DON’T QUIT! pretty much says it all.

I am settling back in after vacation. Second fast day yesterday went well, but differently. I got so busy that I forgot to eat or drink anything until 7pm. It went by quickly but then I got suddenly miserable. Ate a small salad dinner and had some water. While my caloric intake was lower than usual for a fast day, I think the lack of hydration hurt me. I only lost about about, maybe 1.5 when my typical fast day would be at least 2.

Today’s NFD started with a bigger breakfast than usual, but its lunchtime now and I am not hungry, so I am not going to have lunch. If I can keep to a reasonable dinner the day will be a success. I may consider a third fast tomorrow solely in attempt to catch back up to my the numbers I had worked down to prior to vacation.

NO QUIT, thats rule 1. I am also trying to keep a positive attitude and outlook on everything as my rule #2. What could that harm?

Alex

Graham, you nail it. We will not quit.

Penguinchick, hot weather may bring on higher water retention initially. One good thing about hotter weather is you burn more calories for coping with the heat; and sweating is good detox for the body. We are in the middle of winter here and can’t wait for warmer weather. Fortunately it has been a mild winter so far.

I admire your discipline and need to learn from you – reduce/eliminate naughty food as much as possible.

Alex, if I get dehydrated my body can react in bad ways. Good that you noticed your dehydration. I try to carry a keep warm cup constantly filled up with hot water or Chinese tea with me when I move around the office. All the best for your additional fast days. I never manage to achieve additional fast day, so good on you.

My fast day yesterday was quite miserable. I stuck in front of PC for long period to complete some very tedious, but important, work. Meant I couldn’t go out for long walk, massage etc. The urge to eat was strong early in the morning. Managed to hold on (thus miserable) till 1pm for an apple. Couldn’t resist a handful of crisps around 3pm. Then a small dinner.

Will continue with tedious work today, but at lease today is a NFD.

Another beautiful day in Wellington. Have a wonderful Friday everyone!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the posts, I was so grouchy earlier – I’m not a ‘hot weather’ person at all, makes me very antsy lol! Sorry!
    I think you might be right Phoenix – water retention, that must be it, as my ankles are slightly swollen, so despite all the water I’m drinking, I must be retaining some, which would explain the lack of loss, at least that makes sense! It’s been 32 degrees + in the Uk, hotter in London (how are you coping Graham?! Awful on the tube for sure!).
    I didn’t eat my soup for dinner, couldn’t face heating anything, so I had 25g smoked salmon, with the remains of my green salad from lunch, so if it’s cooler tomorrow (it’s meant to be), then maybe I may see a small loss… I’ll keep you posted!
    Also Phoenix – there is some naughty food in the house, with kids in the house, it’s hard to remove everything, but guess what I did in the massive heat this morning? Yes, I made a cake… WHY? lol! I didn’t eat any of course, but I had to use up some eggs (that’s why I boiled one for lunch), so I thought, why not… Everyone likes a little cake and we have a lot of kids around now, due to the summer holidays. My kitchen was like a boiling pot! I always make food, everything from scratch, no processed here, so when I’m bored/frustrated, I make cakes, winter food for the freezer, bread… all the things I don’t eat! Daft really, but it’s one of my passions haha! If only I was born skinny, I have one sister who eats 2 dinners each day and she’s thin as a rake, she’s always eating and never puts on a lb! Go figure :/

Anyway, it’s late, I should sleep… night night from Blighty, have a good Friday everyone xx

Hi guys
    Didn’t do my fast day today
    Hottest day ever recorded in London
    Went for a picnic on Hampstead Heath and a mate did a salad and butternut squash pasty
    Had lots to drink

Had a piece of mackerel in the evening and rice
    Not terrible but definitely not a fast

The heatwave breaks tomorrow (thank god)
    But more people staying

I love this time of year but there’s always so much going on

One weakness of the 5:2 diet for me is as soon as the slightest disruption happens to my routine I found it very hard to continue with 600 calories

I hope as i become more experienced and start losing more weight I will gather some momentum and learn how to to be strict in the face of all the distractions

However long it takes I want to persevere get this weight off

It’s all a slow SLOW learning process and that’s good for me
    I am more comfortable psychologically with slow periods and then focussed strict periods than going all out and getting fed up which is all I’ve ever done

The motto “Don’t Quit” is great for me it stops me panicking about “perfection or nothing”

Hi Guys,

Friday has come quickly this week. I am adding today as a third fast day just to see how it goes. I really want to erase last week’s vacation weight and I think I can do it.

Yesterday’s NFD went pretty well. I skipped lunch and didn’t go too crazy for dinner, though I did dip into a bit of ice cream. It’s summer.

Not quitting, not sweating the small stuff. Its a whole new attitude.

Alex

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 435 total)

You must be logged in to reply.