starting Monday 5/1/15

This topic contains 739 replies, has 89 voices, and was last updated by  Pat from SC 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 740 total)

• Probably the same here too, I’m 32.

Kristy and Mamie…. that’s probably it. 😉 I am 37 now (and will be 38 in March) this probably teach us one thing! Lose the extra weight as soon as possible and stay there. It is only going to be harder if you leave this to lose later 🙂

Wow well done Mamie – I’m hoping to have lost 7lbs by Saturday and will be happy with that but to lose over a stone is brilliant. I guess I’m just too old to lose weight quickly now☺

I’m finding it harder since I hit 30 so I know this to be true. But this extra weight has to go THIS time because we want to start a family and I want to be slim enough and fit enough to run around after them. No excuses, this time it comes off and stays off!

My mother has struggled with her weight for nearly 40 years and every time it gets harder for her to lose anything. I’m trying to get her to start this one with me because it’s so different from anything she’s done before. But it’s a little difficult to maintain the support from 2000 miles away 🙁

I honestly think it has alot to do with how much I need to lose too. I’ve still got 4 stone to lose before I’m even considered vaguely healthy. I don’t think for a moment it will go as quickly as the first stone.

TBH while I’ve measured myself and seen the difference in the tape I’m not feeling all that different, size-wise. I do feel better for it though, I’m sleeping better, eating healthier and I’m a lot more awake and alert. I’ve been feeling inspired:-D

I started doing this for the weight loss but I will keep it up because I feel great!

Same here Mamie i dont see much of a difference i think the next stone will take a lot lobger to come off but thats when we will really start to see ourselves shrinking. Its hard because i put on a stone over past few months so losing this stone Has got me back to normal and i wasnt happy with my weight then so for me the real weight loss starts here 🙂

I’m 72 so we will see.
    Mamie I like your post saying how good you feel. After all this is a lifestyle change, has many health benefits and weghtloss could be concidered a side effect. Good luck to you all!

Well done Kirsty and Mamie fantastic results!
    I weigh tomorrow fingers crossed for a loss.
    I’m 53 and as of last Friday I had lost 11lb in less than three weeks, I hope to have lost a pound or two more tomorrow, I have 2 stone to lose altogether so not a great amount but at just over 5 foot tall it needs gone asap.
    I’ve no idea about age or size etc I just know its working for me.

Can’t believe it – lost 4lb this week! Takes my total loss to 10lb. I would have been happy with my usual 2lb loss a week so very pleased with 4 – checked 3 times in case the scales were broken! Keep going everyone we’ll all get to our targets soon ☺

4lb in a week is fantastic alison1474!! Well done.
    Everyone seems to be doing so well. I hope to have good news when I weigh in on Monday. I have decided to do measurements the first Monday of every month too, so will be reporting losses there too ……….. hopefully 🙂

4th weigh in for me and I have lost 2 and 3/4lbs making my total 13 and 3/4lbs since the 5/1/15 very happy with that. Interesting discussion about age I am 56 next month so very happy with my rate of loss although I do still have 4 stone to go so I know it will slow down but I still have exercise and 4:3 up my sleeve for when that happens. I am still pre menopausal so I think that has an effect too (well on us women anyway!) Really happy with how easy I am finding this and how I still can have a normal life and lose some weight 🙂

A huge well done to all of you on your losses

Well done double trouble and Alison x
    I have lost 1.3/4 lb this week making 12.3/4 lb since I started on 5/1/15
    More than happy with that, although I have to say I don’t look any different, but then this weight is still heavy for my height.

Wow! Well done double trouble & alison. You’re doing great! I’m really happy for everyone that’s had a good loss.

Double Trouble I feel with you, I don’t feel any different but I can get into an old pair of jeans that were feeling really tight (zero stretch in them) and yesterday I found myself having to hike them up all the time. I don’t think I look any different and other than feelin ‘better’ in myelf I don’t feel any different but according to my tape measure I’ve lost 5cm from my hips, 4cm from my waist and 6cm from my bust (that has to be all from my back because I’m still struggling to contain the girls in their cups). We just need to keep going and I’ll probably be with you all the way on that as I’ve still got 4st (at least) to go too.

Well it looks like i will have to take a week off fasting. My little boy Tyler is 4 and was born with congenital heart disease he has had 5 heart surgeries so far and we have been waiting for his next one. I got a phone call today and it seems his next surgery will be on Tuesday as a space has come up. So we will be spending most of bext week in Hospital we arrive on Monday. I know there is no way i could fast staying at the hosital a lot of parents do go home at night but i couldnt bare to leave him so i will be sleeping on the hospital chair by tylers side. Im so proud of him what hes came through he is my Hero. Iv lost a stone already so im sure a week off wont do much damage.

Good Luck to you both,I’m sending “positive waves” your way. I think you would probably prefer to put every pound back on rather than leave him.
    A week won’t do much harm, just be careful of hospital food it’s about as nutritious as my boot sole (from personal experience).

All the best kirsty. Hope all goes well. Makes losing a bit of weight seem unimportant when you think about the real things other people are going through.

Thanks Mamie and Alison. We have been waiting on this op for a while now so its a good thing its happening hopefully if all goes well they will reduce some of Tylers Meds. Im atill gonna try and eat as healthy as possible im not gonna eat crap cause i have done so well im loving 5:2 and will be back to fasting asap.

Hope all goes well Kirsty – your little boy will be glad you’ll be close by next week I’m sure.

I’ve done 2 fast days back to back this week as well as 1 extra fast day. Was ok really and I’ll be interested to see my weight on Monday (weigh day). Next week will tough to manage as I’m in Dublin for 3 days on business. But at least I can flex my fast days.

Kirsty I am thinking of your little one and sending healing thoughts.
    my son had major spinal cord surgery about 10 years ago…I slept by his side
    in the ICU for 3 days…I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

re: weight loss, you guys are all doing great. I made the mistake of weighing this morning after going out to dinner (with wine) last night – very depressing..I know I need to just stick to weighing one day a week.
    today is another fast day. I have only been on this “diet” 2 weeks. I have lost 3 lbs. I also have a half marathon to run in San Francisco on Sunday…the less I weigh the faster I will go right??? wish me luck..and topcat…have fun in Dublin, my son was just there for a conference a couple weeks ago – (he lives in Manchester)Great City !
    Happy Friday everyone.

Hope your little boy is OK kirsty, you will be back on track in no time xx
    Good luck with the half marathon virginialu, I couldn’t run for a bus! I admire you .

Good luck with the half marathon Virginialu. I run 1 or 2 x 5k runs per week and it definitely gets easier as you get lighter!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

thank you !!
    topcat do you do your runs with a group or on your own?
    do you run on fast days?

Either run on my own or with a running buddy. I have a treadmill at home so no excuse when the weather’s bad! I haven’t tried running on a fast day yet as I’ve been fasting on weekdays and I tend to only run at the weekends. I have run 5k before breakfast previously and it was ok. I’m waiting for the new Fitbit Charge HR to be launched in the UK so I can monitor my activity (and sleep patterns!) – should be any time now. I’m not fasting this weekend but as it’s weigh day on Monday, it does make me make better choices!

Topcat, that’s so funny – I just ordered a fitbit from amazon !
    I’m fasting today so not to interfer with half marathon on Sunday.
    When I was in the UK over the holidays I did the santa 5K run in Skipton, OMG that was so much fun ! (but hot in the santa suit!)
    have a great weekend…you are brave to have Monday be your weigh day…I chose Weds. Let me know how it goes 🙂 V

Kristy, I am sending all my positive wave to you and your little one from Denmark. I think 5:2 changed our eating habit too so I am sure a right eating mind will help you this through this week without actually fasting or counting calorie. 🙂

I skipped weighing this week as today is that day if the month. I don’t want to get discouraged. So hope for a good number next week 😉

I’ve made a shocking discovery today! For the first time since I started this WOE we went for coffee but I couldn’t drink all of my ‘venti-skinny-sugar-free-hazelnut-latte’ (174 calories). I was utterly stuffed and feeling really uncomfortable. I’m devastated that I have to knock it down to a grande in future 🙁

Hi all, it really is inspiring to read all your positive messages. You all seem to be doing so well.

Kirsty, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and of course your precious little boy next week. He is your main priority and you are so right to put fasting on hold for a bit. Plenty of time to fast in the years ahead. The very best of luck to your son.

I’ve thrown caution to the wind this evening as I baked and made delicious wild garlic pesto with some garlic leaves I found in the woods on my walk this afternoon. I was so delighted to see signs of spring that I decided to pick some and make the pesto. So crackers dipped in pesto for supper tonight. Roll on Monday to get me back on track. Down to 9st 4 on Friday. Okey 9st 4 and 3/4 !!!Getting there slowly but surely. The next month will tell if I can keep this up but feeling pretty positive about it at the moment and portion sizes are shrinking as I definitely am feeling fuller after meals. I can’t believe I said that. Lol

Anyone fasting today? I am although this cold weather makes me want comfort food! I shall resist.

Me too jan, and I’m in desperate need of food. I’ve been up since five this morning and I’ve discovered that when I get up in the cold, on a fast day, I can’t get warm for the rest of the day.

What about a cup of hot bovril, or an oxo? It’s cold here in Spain too today, know how you feel!

Tea will see me through, it warms from the inside and I can hug the mug for external warmth. 😀

Applepie, we do sound daft complaining of cold in Spain and Cyprus… brrrr

I am fasting today and tomorrow! I’ve let my habits slide for a good 4 days so I’m reading to get back into a routine! Good luck to everyone fasting today.

So it’s 3 weeks in and 8lbs down … mind you, I fasted for 3 days last week and ran 2x 5k’s over the weekend and only lost 1/2 lb! OK, so I went out to dinner one evening but didn’t go mad – quite unfuriating with that little amount lost but hey ho, I know that some weeks are like that. This week is more difficult – am fasting today but then off to Dublin tomorrow for 3 days with work so that will throw me off course a bit with eating out with colleagues. Then when I get home, my mum and her husband will be there (they’re cat sitting for me while I’m away) and he’s a great cook. He’s one of those people who hates throwing away food or putting it back in the fridge so I usually get a second helping of whatever he’s cooking! He’s definitely a derailer for any diet although in the nicest possible way! So, I’ll try to be reasonably good while I’m away and when I’m back until my mum and he leave (probably on Sunday). I think I may need to fast 3 days next week though as a result 🙂

PJBR, I am 65, so right with you!! I am looking at this as a healthy lifestyle change also. I love the fact that losing weight is a side effect, since I have about 20 lbs that I have carried around for years. (extra 20 lbs) I figured if I could lose just 1 lb a month, that would be amazing at the end of the year!! That is why I refuse to get hung up on this being a weight loss diet. If I overthink calories, it sets me up to fail. If I keep the attitude that I am going to maintain my weight, I do so much better. I started on Jan. 21, and have only had 1 fast day. Today is my second. I weighed myself on the 21, which was my birthday, and did some serious celebrating for several days, lol. But when I weighed myself on Feb. 1, I had lost 1 lb. That makes me very happy. With me, slow and steady is the way to go. Won’t weigh again until March 1. And it is cold here in Texas also. 34 degrees!! Good luck to everyone also fasting today!

Hi all, I ve decided that last month I was a newbie, this month I am going to be an experimentor. I will try 18:6 first, then maybe 19:5 and see what effects it has.
    Still loving this eating method, got loads of energy and I have started a diy project that was on my wish list.
    Kirsty, I will be thinking of you this week, positive thoughts. Come back to us in a week or two if you can.
    I read somewhere on the blog that every day is a success day, so that’s going to keep me going for a while.
    Good wishes to all the new starters, buy some herbal tea and some stock cubes for hot drinks. It’s cold outside.

Fasting today too and yep it’s pretty cold 0 degrees Celsius but feels like -2. Drank lots of lady grey tea black, soup and a cup of bovril. I’ll brush the teeth soon. Lusherx have you ever done that before? Two days in a rice!! Good luck with that.
    Topcat 7000 you might be a big harsh on yourself. Look on this as a long term new way of eating but don’t punish yourself by fasting four days. Enjoy Dublin and the cooked meals and get back to 5:2 next week or if you need to go with 4:3. It’s tougher in this cold weather.
    I’m with Applepie on the bovril. It definitely fills a gap. Deaniebo March 1st is only around the corner and I suspect you will see more than a pound gone. I didn’t realise Texas could be test cold. Good luck to everyone fir the rest of the week bad thinking of you Kirsty.

I have tried it before Misty May but only once. I didn’t end up doing my fast as planned today, I’m finding it so hard to stay motivated at the moment. Only good thing is that I am exercising regularly. I’m going to fast tomorrow and Wednesday now! Hope I manage it 🙁

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Why punish yourself if you are having a tough time already? Why don’t you fast tomorrow and maybe again Thursday or Friday. And if that doesn’t suit do one day this week but dont eat late on the other days. And start fresh with two days again next week. You need to be very strong to do two days in a row. And you are exercising so you do need energy. Good luck whatever you decide to do. I’m not trying to put you off at all. Drink plenty of hot drinks and water.

I’m fasting today so teeth are brushed and hoping that helps then bed at a reasonable time tonight.

Mamie it really is very cold here this week, we are not used to it anymore. Bring on summer, it will be tuna salad nearly every day.
    I have lost 8lbs since I started. And 3 and a half inches from what I laughingly call my waist. I am a proper apple shape.
    I am trying to shift more so having a very low calorie fast today followed by a no food day tomorrow. That’s the plan anyway but I did it last week so I know it can be done.
    Thinking of you Kirsty, hope all is going well.
    janpartly, you made me laugh, couldn’t run for a bus, I am the same. But I do 5 mins every morning jumping up and down, where no one can see me obviously haha!
    Have a good day everyone x

Hi Lusherx, I’m with Misty May, don’t push too hard and then feel like you’ve failed if you don’t manage it. I haven’t tried to fast for two days together yet but I almost managed it last week.

I fast Mon & Weds but last week I didn’t eat until 21:30 on the Tues, if I’d gone to bed instead of waiting for my O/H to come home I would have done the two days. The good thing about not “planning for” or relying on the second fast in a row is that you are elongating the first day and will eat much less than your TDEE in total. If you don’t manage it you’ve still eaten less and you can try to squeeze another fast in on a later day.

You’re doing great already

Thanks Mamie Muse, I don’t understand why I am suddenly finishing it so difficult! Hopefully I will get back into it today. Good luck to everyone! X

Thanks Misty May. Got on the scales this morning before leaving for Dublin and had lost just over 1lb since yesterday so feeling good about that! Freezing cold over here and I left snow on the ground at home in Wiltshire this morning. Just going for dinner with colleagues now – have been quite good all day so might even have a glass of wine. Take care everyone!

Fast day was a success!! 490 calories and burnt 550 doing a military-style boot camp in the park! Feeling great 🙂

Fast day yesterday, only had 350 calories max. Feel so good I am going for a no food day today. I will have a cup of oxo for my evening meal. Apart from that, tea, black coffee and lots of water.
    Bye bye fat!

Hello everyone everything went great for my little one 🙂 so good that we got home today yayyyy!!!! Back to fasting tomorrow cant wait. I barely ate a thing at the hospital past few days so wee chippy tonight. Im not weighing this week as its my time of the month and it wont be accurate but pleased to get back to fasting altho iv only missed one fast day. Hope you are all doing well

Kirsty, I am so happy for you.
    There’s been some interesting posts on here, loads of info.
    On Monday I went to weigh myself but the scales wouldn’t turn on. Had to run around looking for the right battery to get them going again. Worth it though, they are on the way down again.
    I’m just finishing a fast day, drinking lemon and ginger burst herbal tea with a slice of ginger added.
    Well done Applepie, you are inspiring me, don’t think I can do the straight through fast.
    I too get very cold on fast day and sleep erratically, but it’s worth it.

Kirsty – so happy all went well with your little one, that is so stressful.
    Topcat – good job ! how was Dublin??
    I am a bit disappointed…I fasted 2 days (although I do eat all my calories allowed on those days because I find it so hard to go without any food and work)
    AND I ran a half marathon on Sunday (2:26 – which is good for me ) BUT I only lost 0.2 lb from last week – so so sad !!!!!!!!

Hi virginialu:

Your half marathon did not help your weight loss much – see number 5 in this post: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/. But it certainly did not hurt you!

Good Luck!

Well i must say 5:2 has really changed my appetite because that chippy was horrible i picked at it but was so aware of how greasy it was that it made it repulsive. Its been my first takeaway since starting 5:2 almost 5 weeks ago. Cant wait to go shopping tomorrow and get my lovely healthy food back in the fridge.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 740 total)

You must be logged in to reply.