starting after new years!!

This topic contains 396 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  Jilly R 8 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 397 total)

• I have also just measured up and my pear is now more pumpkin!!🎃 scary!
    My plan today was to go food shopping to fill the fridge with healthy food for the week ahead, but it has not stopped raining! The damp and dismal weather has left me with no incentive to go outside at all! But I have downloaded some free 5:2 diet recipe books from Amazon for some inspiration.
    Maybe an online food shop is called for ….. at least I won’t have to walk by the crisp and confectionery aisles and be drawn into temptation…..
    Any suggestions for a first day fast??

Hi all! Can I join in on this? I spent the last year in Australia and did 5:2 for a few months. It was great, I lost a stone but since I’ve been home in this terrible weather in Blighty it seems my only comfort is chocolate! I Only wanna lose about 6lbs but I think the extra motivation of being part of a group would help! Hope you’re all well 🙂

Well, its the day before my first fast so i’ve just done my ‘measurements’. Not enormously happy with what i found, bit of a shock in fact, but easier to deal with knowing that they wont be staying that way for long! Is there a general feeling that we are sharing some stats on Monday, girls?

Something else i’m going to do today is the brain function test that Mosely recommends in the book to do before and then in 6 weeks time.

I know what you mean, LozzaN, about the weather. Its abysmal here in London too. Where are you?

Also, Lori_PA, i take my hat off to you for bootcamp-ing! Especially at that hour of the morning…. I got a Fitbit in October and have been sticking rather well to the 10’000 steps a day, with a few notable exceptions but i’ve upped it to 12’000 now. I also do 4 Pilates classes a week and am starting aqua-running again on monday.

J

Hi Abecedary I’m in North London (Barnet) and the rain still hasn’t stopped!! What is the brain function test? Sounds interesting – is there a link?

Hi all.
    LozzaN I think that for first day the challenge is all mental! So many times I have got to the evening and then talk myself out of it. Then I have to start over the next day….or not…sadly too often. Day-1’s that have been successful have involved lots of hot drinks, some protein if poss, little or no carbs (too moreish 😕) and a little something warm before bed… no-sugar hot chocolate maybe? Probably doesn’t matter if you go a bit over 500cal, just get into the mindset and complete the day! You maybe surprised next morning not to wake up ravenous , but at least you can have what you feel like again!
    Good luck!!!! Let us know how it goes.

I have one more day off work as kids not back to school til Tuesday, so can’t distract myself with work,or exercise!!!

Oh, just to add that the reason I have had lots of first days, and still have weight to lose, is totally because I am so good at letting myself off the hook before getting far, even if it’s going well. I Very much hope that being part of a group will help me with the mental side of things, and put my health first etc. I’m sure everyone else has experience with backsliding too, but if we keep showing up here, then we can stay on track 😊

Ah, i’m just down south of you, towards Richmond. Supposedly tomorrow is meant to start of with some sunshine, so fingers crossed!

The cognitive test that Mosley recommends is here http://www.cognitivefun.net
    Its all very confusing to start with, there are loads of different tests to do for all different parts of the brain. But give it 20 mins to do a few tests and workout how the ‘profile’ and graphs bit works, and then its fine.

But i also stumbled across this one; http://www.cambridgebrainsciences.com This seems a little more straight forward, so far.

I wanted to do some tests because this fasting malarky is meant to have so many benefits beyond loosing the fat, i would like to be able to follow that progress as well.
    Brain function being one, but other things too. I have regular blood tests because i take levothyroxine so last month i asked for a few more things to be tested than normal to compare with in a few months time.

Has anyone else got any suggestions for recording stats other than weight and inches? Anyone got fancy scales that can measure body fat % as well?

jx

Also, Yes Jenn, exactly. Sticking to it, is the problem, even if it is working. i am a great one for first days.

Despite lots of these ‘new starts’, I have only ever managed it once, really. I wasn’t a big child at all but when i was 17 i went on a holiday with friends and the subsequent video revealed that i was, in fact, a proper fatty. Up until then i had just thought i was just a bit plump.
    I cut out all sugar/dairy/carbs for about a month, with all the zeal of youth and i lost more than 2 stone. I am now 30, and the weight has slowly crept back on to the point where i am not far short of my weight back then. Seeing that on the scales, gave me a bit of a kick up the proverbial.

And its a lot easier to loose weight when your a spritely 17 year old. x

Hey everyone and happy new year!!

I hope to start tomorrow in my bid to lose 2stones. I knew the clothes were feeling tighter, some not fitting at all but didn’t think anything of it until I signed up to slimming world and found out I had been deluding myself. I just couldn’t believe the scales. So no more excuses it needs to come off.

I’m quite overwhelmed to be honest as I’m not the most disciplined but hopefully I’ll find some encouragement and support here to see me through.

Thanks and good luck!

Thanks Jenn for your suggestions, I am also hoping that as it’s my 1st day back at work after 2 weeks I will be too busy to think about food lol. I’ll keep you all posted 😉

Good morning ladies, I did it – got through my first fast day and the scales are showing a 2 lb loss! I know its mostly water but still, it is very motivating. Had to drink a lot of veggie broth to get through the day and took Katie’s advice and went to bed early – which helped, thank you Katie. Dreamed all night about eating fancy pastries and cheeses, LOL.

ABCD I am game to post measurements/stats if you are. It will be motivating to put it out there . . . post after weigh in every Monday am?

Granny chris and Lori I’m also in my 50’s age 58. We will probably lose a bit slower than our younger forum mates, but I’m ok with that as long as the scales move in that downward direction.

It’s a brisk cold day here in Vancouver, – 4C. Will wait til this afternoon to walk the dog in hopes that it will be a bit warmer. Off to the pool for aquafit this morning.

Good luck to all with their fast days tomorrow – ifI can do it I know you can too. Remember the broth – it really helped me in those moments of hunger.

Pam

Dusty – this is the perfect diet for the undisciplined like myself. I find knowing that I can eat the day after a fast day gives me the strength to hold out through the fast day. But, if I start off on a fast day and can’t carry through I just shrug it off and start again the next day. No beating myself up – just move on and try again. I do try to stay within my TDEE regardless, which is a big improvement from what I was previously doing – eating everything in sight. This diet does seem to reset the appetite downward which is a welcome relief from the mindless face stuffing I was previously doing!

From your use of stones rather than lbs you must be from England or Australia?

Cheers,
    Pam

I can’t believe I woke up to 11 new posts this morning-I am so excited!!
    I really want this to be a lifestyle. I was very lean 3.5 y ago and looked amazing, w very toned legs. But I didn’t stay that way for long, unfortunately. I get happiness from looking fit and healthy, so I really need to do this bc perimenopause has been kicking me in the ass the last cpl of yrs.
    It’s a bit of a snowstorm here in Southern Canada and I should be out on my skis, but I’ll probably just stay in and do pilates.
    I def plan to post measurements wkly. I think I need to do that so I don’t cheat. I’ll be posting early Tues every wk I’m assuming.
    My 2nd day is tomorrow, and I’m going to make a huge batch of veg/tofu/organic chicken soup, and at night if I’m struggling, I’ve bought myself a big bottle of perrier.
    Keep posting your days girls, we can overcome our food demons and get that crazy healthy body we so deserve. ❤️
    And also, my plans are to do this till the spring, then I need to come up w a surefire maintenance plan.
    And congrats Pam, any loss is gd as it really motivates you (us)!

Imagine that! Being able to pop out for a ski!! So cool 😁
    Swindon’s supposed to be getting one of those indoor snow centres soon, not quite the same but I’m looking fwd to it.

Feeling v excited about the fasting too… I also got really in shape when I was 37 and managed to stay that way for 4 yrs but have let it all go in the last 4! I know this 5:2 is for the long haul, but motivated by idea of banishing the demons and being super body-confident once more.

For all of us on FD tomorrow, good luck and enjoy!! x

Hi all. Can I join you too please? I’ve tried 5:2 before and although it worked for me I didn’t stick with it and the weight has crept on again. This time I’m determined to keep going and hope to lose about 30 lbs. Starting again tomorrow!

Welcome Teilly, of course u can join!! I’m ready for day 2 tmrw…as I polish off a bottle of red oi! I’ll b doin 5:2 alternating w 4:3 til March bc I’m a binger, then I’ll reassess ….good luck my little posse tmrw! I’m back to work after 2 wks off. I’m an esl teacher. The fitness instructor has only been since September…my newfound passion. I have 3 beautiful, super sweet and crazy intelligent teen boys. Oldest one is in college for electrical engineering, younger 2 r in highschool, but busy, as both play on 2 hockey teams each. Chins up and out Monday!!!. xo

Well here we go ladies.
    I’m not sure starting the diet today is a good idea as I’m also back at work (and dreading it!).
    Just weighed myself and although I have spent the weekend eating chocolates, cheese and general Christmas crap, I have lost a pound. This must be due to giving up the booze for January!

Good Morning!

It sounds like a lot of us are “back to reality” today. I only had off work a few days over the holidays, but my exercise routine was on hiatus since 12/24. The boot camp studio reopens today, so I’ll be heading there at 5:30AM. Then a busy day at work and home to collapse!

I have my eating planned for today and should stay right around 500. Good luck all!

morning all. Last day of hols today so I let my kids have friends over for a sleepover last night… so, not much sleep happening obviously, for any of us! Sooo tired I just want a hot chocolate and bed, what an excellent way to start! But, it’s just mind over matter now… a bit of exercise and fresh air and a hot shower should fix me and away we go. 😊

Will do my stats now, pre-fast. Weight 160lb, bmi27.5. Waist 40inch (yikes it’s like someone stuck a beach ball in there!)

Cheers x

Hello dears!

First fast day is going well so far… its about 4.15 in the afternoon here and i’ve kept super busy all day (so haven’t had time to stare longingly into the fridge).
    Last time i tried 5:2 i was really cautious about taking the day easy in case…. i don’t know, i fainted? Made myself more hungry?
    This time round though, having read what other people are up to on fast days, i have kept myself busy and done a pilates class, an aquafit class, taken the tree down (and banished the decks to the loft) and i feel great… Now i’m off up to the allotment to feed the chickens.

I know many of you were facing the dreaded first day back at work today. I’ve had my fingers crossed for you! xx

Here are my stats too:

Weight: 154.2
    Height: 5’8″
    BMI: 23.5
    % Fat: 34%
    Waist: 31.5″

Ski pant measure: 5.5 inches between the snaps!!

Ok – it is game on now. I am shocked that my ski pants snaps are so far apart. These pants fit me 2 years ago – had to sit out last ski season due to a torn meniscus. But 5.5″ inch gain is too much! The pants fasten lower than my natural waist – more just at the belly button which is certainly my widest point.

Can I lose 5.5″ from my belly in the next 7 weeks before my ski trip?

Fasting again today and back to work. Good luck to all my fellow fasters today.

Pam

And Jenn, just keep thinking of how blissfully you will sleep tonight!

Hi Pam!

I too am trying to fit back into my ski pants. Mine do up around the waist, but are somewhat taught across my bottom… so tight in fact that i would be inclined to side-step up the bloody mountain rather that split them when i jump on the lift!!

I leave on the 29th! xx

You guys are all so inspring!! I will do my stats in the morning after today’s fast. Haven’t weighed myself in a yr so I’m a little terrified. Some of you sound like just need a little off, as in you weigh much less than me I’m guessing.
    Just making my soup now. Have a great day ladies 🙂

Query re measurements: I do my waist measurement directly round the belly button… is that right do you think?
    Never been measured for a check up, so I don’t know what the docs or nurses do at a health check! It can make around 5ins difference on me. (Though whatever the ‘official’ measurement, it’s way bigger than a few years ago and I’m fed up of trousers cutting into my middle all day!!!)
    Fast day going well, I heated a pan of frozen blackberries this morning and had a cup from time to time. Soup for supper in a couple hours.

Just waiting for Amazon to deliver the new book to me! 🙂 When I measure my belly I go just above my belly button, but I never know if to relax totally (big belly)or to suck in just a wee bit (not so big belly. Also.. bra on or bra off. This last one is relative really, because in my case it has to be bra on really.

Yes I would measure around the belly button. My day’s going well too, mostly bc I ate too much yesterday 🙁 Big pot of tofu veg soup and 2 boiled eggs will suffice for today 🙂

Maybe I perversely enjoy the worst case scenario… measure round the biggest bit and breathe out!! Also, weighing myself in the evening and fully clothed! (Though I draw the line at shoes on!!)

So how has everyone got on?
    I’ve managed ok. 6 cups of tea with milk and a 75 cal soup during the day and a spinach cannelloni ready meal for tea. I am cold, bored and hungry, but I know it works (for me).
    Hopefully, you’ve all managed to get through the day. 🌞
    Btw. Measured in at 68kg on Friday. I’m 5ft3

Doing well here! It is 3PM and I’ve only had 140 calories so far. Lots of black coffee and a cup of green tea too……….and lots of water!

I thought I might be more hungry since I worked out this morning, but so far, so good!

Hope you all are doing well!

Thiu so much for sharing guys, I’m going to need it bc I’m finding it hard. I get lightheaded, and I miss eating…but I’m doing well so far, snd my soup is yummy 🙂

Hopefully the soup will help your lightheadedness Suzy. Take a moment to lie flat for a bit, wriggle your toes, and then get up very slowly.

Congratulations all! I’m not fasting til Thursday, but I am sending lots of good wishes.

Hi all . 1st day was so busy @ Work I didn’t have time to think about food lol. My planned dinner was grilled chicken and broccoli but my other half decided to make Sticky chicken(Maggi) instead!😕 It smelled so delicious, but I managed to abstain and had a tuna salad instead! Total calories today 486 😃

Hope you all had a good day too x

stats:-
    Weight 213 lbs
    Height 5′ 7″
    Waist: 39 ins
    BMI: 32.9

This ladies only or can I join? First fast tomorrow after a very bold December

Yep, I’m also going back to Tues and Wed fasts. Christmas was a nightmare on the food front. Too much of everything. Started back at work today and took a shake made in my new Nutribullet machine. Will definitely combine it into fast days, it’s a marvel. I feel really bloated and grotty after over indulgence during the holidays and I’m determined not to buy a bigger size in clothing! Good luck to all and I’ll be using the forums for inspiration as my enthusiasm will peak and trough.

Men are more than welcome, of course!
    Cinque, thku for the kind words. I do feel better after my soup!
    Jenn, I wouldn’t worry whether u stick it out of suck it in, juist make sure u r consistent when u measure.
    At home, in my pjs, really lookin frwrd to tomorrow’s breakfast!!!
    Good luck everyone with the rest of ur nights. Pretty moved I have met so many great ppl who are so dedicated to getting healthier!!❤️

I will try to go to bed early tonight so I close the day on a high. Realized on the drive home from work that I overate today, coming in closer to 700 :(. Having realized this, I will cut out my boiled eggs on my next fast day (Wed), and just have the soup.
    Will only post measurements once a wk as I feel this will motivate me more. Nite to my overseas pals, and mornin to those down under!

Hi everyone – I lost 20kg on the Fast Diet but have put some back on after getting too laid back about eating too much and not exercising. Back into it this week, especially after getting on the scales this morning!! Also doing dry January as of today (first day back at work). Did this when I first started on my journey and it really helped to get things kick-started as I’m less tempted to snack if I’m not drinking alcohol.

My fast days are Monday and Thursday so looking forward to having some extra support via this forum.

Will be putting my running shoes back on this week too 🙂

Hi everyone, I have 25lb to lose and today is my second fast day. It’s much easier today than the first one, I’m not so hungry and have allowed myself more cups of tea – for sanity’s sake 😊
    Sarah

Hi Sarah, glad you found day 2 easier… me too. Not quite so cold, bored, and hungry. I was a bit colder at night than usual but I understand that’s normal as body not busy digesting. Need to have bed socks ready for fast nights! 5lbs down this week… I know it’s mainly water and Xmas bloat, but motivational!! Lovely to be here with all you kind supportive people. Have a great day 😊

Successful fast day for me yesterday too. Was not difficult at all. I know some days will be harder than others, but we know we can do it! I’m looking forward to eating a bit more today, but still being mindful.

Sounds like everyone is off to a great start!

Hello every one new!

And well done everyone fasting yesterday! Very impressive sticky chicken dodging Lozza. And Suzy, 700 definitely still counts as a success.

I was fretting about first fast day so much before but it was fine. I had nothing for breakfast, a bowl of Heinz tomatoe soup for lunch (which felt odd because that is normally only ever eaten when i’m super hung over!) and for dinner i made chicken and mushroom kebabs with green beans and salad. One cup of tea with milk mid afternoon and lots of Fruit teas. 485Cal total.

The main problem i found was that i hardly slept last night! not because i was hungry, i don’t think, because i didn’t feel it but just really violent dreams. I was fighting for my life with all sorts of ghouls….

I will go an measure myself now, before i indulge in a hearty breakfast. xxx

Hi everyone. I had a successful day yesterday too. Wasn’t too difficult as I just kept busy and away from the kitchen! Pre-fast weight 157 lbs and bmi 28.6. Haven’t measured waist – just know my trousers are way too tight! Trying to keep on track today and not overeating though I do look longingly at fridge sometimes! Enjoying reading everyone’s posts – I’ve never done this before. Very motivating!

Morning everybody, just got up and getting my boys off to school. Went to bed not himgry last night, realizing I def had more cals than I did the first day, but that’s okay. I am learning what I should or shouldn’t do. Day 3 tomorrow and I will fine tune my meals. Having said all of that I just weighed myself and am shocked. I am 10lbs heavier than I thought. No wonder I looked so fat in the xmas photos, wow, I had no idea. And novody said anything. That’s the heaviest I’ve ever been :(. Gonna take me longer than I thought to get to my goal weight. Well, these 1st cpl of wks are trial for me until I realize what works.
    So happy all of you did so great yesterday. Keep posting,they really keep me motivated. I’m assuming everyone is taking today off. Cheers pals!!

Stats after 2 fasts:
    age…48
    height…5’6”’
    weight waist…39 🙁

Forgot the saddest part: weight…188lbs

Hello one and all,

Have enjoyed reading your various contributions.

Yesterday had my first fast day, I found it quite tough, especially as I felt very lght-headed for most of the day. I began with a soft-boiled egg and mini asparagus spears (90 cals) , warm lentils and feta salad for lunch with an extra 15 g of feta (193) both came from the fast diet recipe, then a spinach, chicken and canneloni bean broth (204).

I was really tired, and cold, and fell asleep at 7.30.., but woke at 10 and then at midnight had a digestive and glass of milk 😔

Today have also felt quite weak although it is non-fasting day, has anyone else experiences the same sort of symptoms?

Tomorrow first day back to work and second fasting day, might be easier when at work.

I’m 52 and based in Switzerland.

Any tips or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do the side effects reduce as the weeks go by?

Thanks Suzy for starting this thread.

Shall post my stats soon, although will be a bit of a wake-up call, no doubt, i think i have about 25lbs to lose, maybe 30.

All the best and there’s definitely strength in numbers 😀

Good Morning Ladies and our 1 gent – nomnominator, Lots of new people joining, it is wonderful to imagine people from all over sharing the same experiences and successes.

Jenn – that is a very inspiring 1st week loss of 5 lbs – gives me lots of motivation to fast-on.
    Completed my 2nd fast day yesterday, much easier than the first. I didn’t even eat up to my 500 cals. Scales show another 1.6 lb loss this morning – hurray!

Remeasured my middle at the belly button instead of at the narrowest part of my trunk and that adds 8″ to my measure to bring it to 39″. Sigh . . . this should all get smaller as we go along.

Suzie – you know that extra weight will melt away and with your fitness background you will have that impressive toned shape underneath. Being around 3 teenage males – “eating machines” must be really something. My husband is an eating machine – cannot fill him up and he always stays slim. I find it hard in the evenings as he snacks and munches away. Joining him in the snacking is what got me into trouble and packed on the extra poundage. Have to learn to be content with my tea or soda water and sugar-free gum.

ABCD – what is an allotment? and where will you be going on your ski trip? I laughed when I pictured your ski pants splitting.

Cheers and good luck to all fasting today!
    Pam

Hi Sassy and welcome, I experienced the dizzy, light headed feeling too – the first time I tried this diet. Now I always drink a cup of veggie broth, 2-3 times a day while fasting and that seems to get rid of that awful feeling.

P

Hi Pam,

Many thanks for the tip, shall give it a go tomorrow.

All the best,
    Sassy

Hi all. Just got home from teaching my 1st fitness class of 2016. Felt good, needed those endorphins 🙂
    Sassy, I have the same comcerns as you. I was horribly light-headed w a killer headache on the drive home from work yesterday, and although my soup filled me up, I do wonder if this is something I can do longterm as those feelings suck. I also felt like crap this morning, but quickly realized that the bit of xmas chocolate I promised myself for breaki was too much of a shock for my system after yesterday. I’m giving myself the next cpl of wks to master my fast and non-fast days without getting upset w myself. I’ve tried every diet in the book and have failed them all and am sick of my shape, so it’s really important I find a way to succeed at this. I think we all have some tricks we need to explore. For me, some perrier at night is a treat I look forward to, or even an apple to help w the blood sugar headache.
    I’m also looking at a 30lb weight loss. Should be good by late spring, by the time it’s shorts and sandals weather here.
    Yes my boys eat non-stop. My husband always jokes that we’ll be rich once they move out!
    And lastly to Jenn, you are our motivation. You are doing so great!!
    Have a great day all…round 3 tomorrow 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 397 total)

You must be logged in to reply.