Started yesterday

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Quick 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Though younger than Michael (41) am about the same height and weight he was when he started. So lots of visceral fat, and lots of heart disease in the family! So yesterday with some trepidation, was day 1. Can’t say it was a doodle, but not overly hard either, Thursday will be my second fast day. So here’s hoping I can stick it out and get not only the weight benefits, but the biochemical benefits as well.

I am with you!

I started yesterday too and found it OK, drank lots of water and black tea all day and one meal in the evening. I suspect that breakfast will make me hungry so am going through till supper about 7pm. I am fasting again tomorrow as we are out for my nieces first birthday party on Thursday.

I will let you know how I got on and good luck on Thursday Paul

Dan

Hi Everyone,

I started yesterday which was my first fast day. I felt fine most of the day, even got through lunchtime with no problems. The hungry feeling didn’t really bother me but every time I stood up I kept feeling lightheaded. I drank loads of water, tea and herbal teas (far more than I usually drink) but from around 2pm onwards I felt sick, dizzy, had headache and generally felt rubbish. I had my last calories around 7pm but after that felt worse and ended up in bed by 9pm after taking painkillers for my headache. Slept really well though but this morning still felt rough! Its 11.30am now and I am just starting to feel better. Is this normal???? Help!!

Hi Lisa
    I think that what you report is normal as I had a
    similar headache and slight dizziness but I think mainly it is heightened awareness of my body rather than anything bad. I am into my second fast and while the dizziness has reduced I have the headache but not so bad that I have needed pain killers

Hi Lisa, I started last week and have done 4 fasts so far, I felt exactly the same as you the first day, banging headache, dizzy, nervy and by the evening really cold and exhausted! Power through… The next one was a little better and the 3rd and 4th an absolute breeze!
    Read that a lot of people experience what you have described with their 1st and 2nd ever fast days 🙂

I had the same thing the first few times. Now I’m doing great too.

I had my second fast yesterday and I felt exactly the same at first and second day. But I thought it comes from an inflammation I have just now. Since today I take antibiotics and will see on my third day tomorrow if there are the same headache etc. too.

Thanks for the advice everyone, at least I know it’s normal.

Two weeks and four fast days in and find that fluids are critical to avoiding the headaches. Drank probably double the water that I usually drink and found that this meant the headache is much reduced. Still there by the end of the day but an irritation only. 3kg off too.

Good luck to all Fast First Timers. Staying hydrated is critical – plenty of water, herbal teas (avoiding juice and milky drinks). I like fizzy water with a squeeze of lime.
    It DOES get easier. I remember my first few Fast Days and really having to rely on willpower to get me through. I never had headaches, but I did feel that the day crawled by. The idea that tomorrow would be different really helped me, and I think that’s one of the key differences between 5:2 and conventional long-haul dieting. A day is not so long. You can get used to a little hunger, especially if you know it won’t hurt you. Stay tuned and let us know how you fare

Hi Everyone,

Congratulations on making a start. I would advise you to make your Fast days on days that you are busy. That way you won’t have the time to focus on the fact that you are fasting.

Since I plan for this to be a way of life, not just another diet, I like the fact that it is so flexible. The first two fast days, no problem. On the 3rd in mid-afternoon I felt a bit weird, so I have adjusted my eating pattern and no more physical problems.

I eat a late breakfast of around 200 cals. (The same breakfast I eat everyday.) I think that this mentally doesn’t set me up to think I on a fast day. Late afternoon, around 2 or 3pm I have a piece of fruit. That seems to eliminate any mid-day reactions. I have the rest of my calories between 6-8pm. This for me is a sustainable way of eating that eliminates any real physical effects. Except that I have lost 8 to 9 lbs. over 11 weeks.

The point is that the flexibility of 5:2 means that you can adjust it to your body.

Good luck to all.

Quick

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.