Stagnating due to menopause?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Stagnating due to menopause?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  PaulAndCarol 9 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi. I lost 8 pounds in about 5 or 6 weeks but now it is really hard. I weigh 147 pounds and want to get to 140, so I know it not a huge amount but I would like to be comfortably in the part of the BMI charts that it “normal”. Does anyone think that the menopause affects how easy it is to lose weight at different times, for example my hot flushes are quite bad at the moment – but I know they will ease and then return.

Some women do suffer with weight problems during and after menopause. Because your hormones are going through immense changes, I think the body can and does retain a lot of fluid. Try cutting your salt intake down a little – dont cut it out completely – you need some…… and that may help.

I dont know how old you are, but generally, the earlier the menopause starts (46 or younger) the more severe the flushes seem to be. I began at 52, and was still having some flushes at 60,albeit smaller and less uncomfortable. Now thank goodness, they have stopped, but I am still struggling with fluid retention.

I hope you find a solution. Good luck!

Thanks Lalaharni. I think I do retain fluid as the intensity of the flushes builds. I don’t eat crisps, bacon and ham only once or twice a month or any added salt but I will keep any eye on hidden salt. Lost half a pound this week – so it is going in the right direction even if it is very slow!

We lost about 1 lb per week but as we neared our goal weight the weight loss slowed down. Our bodies need to have some fat – it is the fuel for endurance type exercise.
    So as your body approaches what your body considers is a minimum fat level the weight loss will slow down – your body will reduce your metabolic rate.

Perhaps your body thinks that 140 pounds is insufficient fat and is slowing down your metabolic rate.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.