Springing Up – March 2020 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Springing Up – March 2020 Challenge

This topic contains 674 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 3 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 676 total)

• Day 12 UK C
    Not doing regular FD as I had lunch at a quarterly trustees’ meeting. Made healthy choices but not feeling healthy, so planning on a solid veggie supper too. Pleased to have been mostly sticking to vegan Lent xc for some stray chocolate yesterday!

Sorry to be a ghost host – and glad we are all good at looking out for each other! Brain so full, body so tired, still not feeling myself. I’m juggling projects after 4 meetings this past 2 days – all exciting, but so much to remember!

I’m also due to go on silent retreat tomorrow, making me more of a ghost host bc no internet! I’m in two minds whether to go due to viruses – both my cold and the coronavirus. It’s as much the getting across London/travelling on train as it is being with 30 people for the weekend! I’m going to pack, get to bed as early as I can and decide tomorrow lunchtime.

if I do go away I’m swearing off puddings – this is my public declaration!!! These retreats are always SO well catered with lashings of home-cooked food, but I’m going to skip both breakfast & puddings!

@basyjames glad you are better 🙂
    @saffy420 as the lovely @rainbowsmile always says, we are not a bin! It’s OK to let something go to waste if you didn’t want it to go to waist!
    @flourbaby you poor thing!! Hope your eye is feeling – and looking! – better v soon xx
    @betsylee woo hoo on your shrinking waist! 🙂
    @matpi hope your energy levels bounce back up again
    @songbirdme silver linings of the tooth surgery. Hope the pain has settled down
    @mia139 slow and steady is a wonderful thing 🙂
    @cavanya happy anniverary for this weekend
    @snowflake56 you might like to look at the wildmind website – they also have an app with a couple of free meditation courses. He’s a Scottish Buddhist who lives in Seattle, been practicing meditation for 30 years. Covers some great subjects eg loving kindness, practicing forgiveness, living with gratitude etc
    @judyjudes i sometimes struglge to sleep after FD. Magnesium oil / MO has helped miraculously! Apply to soles of feet at bedtime – make your own via https://wellnessmama.com/5804/magnesium-oil/

OK. Off for supper, bath & bed. Whatever the day brings, go gently x

Day 13 NFD Aus

Checking in. All day training today. Catered! Oh oh….

Day 13 Tasmania, Aus FD
    Pocket list-
    @cateaus

Day 12, md US, NFD

@ matpi @basyjames @snowflake56 @michelinme so nice thank you. Very uncomfortable and worse may be the hearing loss, esp with the ear drops but, and I say this humbly, my Firm has done an amazing job at communicating globally the need to work from home and limited travel etc so things seem calmer work wise, so I don’t feel as guilty as I normally do when I’m sick, Esp after taking a couple of days off to travel. This is what sick day’s are for but it does give me a little as things have been rather stressful and low staff as of late.

I have a lot of catching up to do but did some
    Last night and felt good getting back on here 💓

USA Day 12 NFD

Cavanya, I am in Maryland, too, and it certainly seems like the world is upside down at the moment. I am in Baltimore and so much is closed now. My daughter says she is keeping her son away from old people and I had to laugh. Does that mean me, too? LOL I do hope all this isolation helps! I have family members trying to return to the USA!

Stay safe everyone!

Day 12 Ohio, US — FD

A good FD and I’m not as tired as I often am by the end of FD’s.

@penz Apparently there are official definitions of what constitutes a mountain. In fact that is the main idea for the movie, The Englishman who Went up a Hill but Came down a Mountain.
    It’s a fun rom-com with Hugh Grant.

@ccco Things in the stores are a little crazy here also. I had to get a few staples this afternoon and the grocery store was a madhouse. One thing that surprised me was that there seemed to have been a run on distilled water. The president of a local university has extended spring break (which is this week) an extra week and then classes will be online for the rest of the academic year. This is the first time I’ve felt any sort of panic atmosphere around here.

@michelinme How long does your silent retreat last? I once did a silent retreat of 30 days. That was a perfect thing for an introvert!

@snowflake56 The governor of the state said that starting Monday at 4 pm all public schools would be closed. On tonight’s news there was a listing of which local schools would be closed tomorrow (Friday!) and it seemed to be most of them. My guess is that the schools feel that most students won’t be coming tomorrow anyway, so it makes sense to just close down now.

I hope everyone stays safe and sound!

Day 13 – Japan – WFD #21

Day 13 country West Australia FD
    Day 12 CD
    Day 11 NFD

Well….. OH ! DEAR!!!!!!!
    Got my blood test results back on Tuesday and they confirmed what I knew already….. pre-diabetic and on the way to kidney damage if I don’t do something about my weight YESTERDAY!!!!!!!
    Apologies for shouting but it really is a bit serious.
    I went from the fittest and healthiest weight I have ever been in 2017 after following 5:2 for some months, to the most unhealthy I have ever been , and the fattest ( yes my current BMI is over 30!!!!!! territory I have never ever been in before).
    And it is all due to overeating and under-exercising .
    So I have instantly started to exercise more and am now eating really healthily and following 5:2 as I did in 2017 when I had good results.
    @flourbaby, alas I have to curb my carbs😯😭 which is the hardest thing….
    The other problem is I can’t have too much protein as it can damage my kidneys. Can’t have too many legumes ( which I also love); tomatoes – WHATTTTT ????; avocados 😓; bananas 😲😲😰
    as I also can’t have too much potassium at present .
    Looks like carrot and lettuce and a little skinless chicken and cold water fish.😬
    5:2 or no I should lose kilos quite quickly on this regime….🤞🏃‍♀️
    Just goes to show what can happen if we don’t pay attention…
    Have been catching up with COVID 19 so have not read all the posts but plan to read all 7 pages tonight to get up to speed with everyone.
    No more ‘ poor little ( well big) me on the plateau anymore.
    See you on the slimmer side!
    Hope everyone is coping the Covid19 issue OK.
    (Oddly enough my fellow Aussies are stockpiling toilet paper ??? Is this happening anywhere else in the world???)

Day 13 Melb Aust FD

Doing okay so far today, hungry but controlled. Weigh-in tomorrow, so hope for at least some decrease.

@michelinme, hope you recover quickly, whether you go or don’t go on your retreat. I’m presuming it’s for the weekend?

Adding to the pocket list for day 13:

Pocket list Day 13 –
    @cateaus
    @lilymartin
    @betsylee

Keep well, everyone, and keep your eyes on the goal – downwards!

Day 13, Emden Germany, NFD

@michelinme I already tried out the wildmind breathing meditation this morning. It’s not that easy to do, my mind is wandering so fast. Whatever you decide, staying at home or going to the retreat, enjoy waht your doing and don’t worry about being a ghost-host, everyone is so supportive on this site.

@matpi they’re trying to slow down the spreading of the Covid-19, the Easter holidays start next week, they want to progongue it and see how it goes on. The information we get here is very good, the problem are the ones that ignore the given advice.

@lilymartin that’s not good news but you know you can still change it. In the practice we got patients out of pre-diabetics and diabetic typ 2 following 5:2, it worked really well. Don’t restrict yourself too much. The problem is to stay motivated. We’re here to help.

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 13 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Thank you everyone for the wedding anniversary wishes. Our seaside trip and lunch yesterday did not happen as mid-morning the announcement came from our Government that all schools, colleges, child-care facilities were closing from 6pm until at least end of March, all indoor events with more than 100 people discouraged, work from home if possible, If not possible then social distancing and stagger breaks, and please no panic buying.

What happened? Panic buying!!!!! We spent an hour in a queue in Lidl waiting for the checkout. This was just after the announcement. Social media later on showed queues of people with trolleys waiting to get INTO supermarkets. Empty shelves everywhere. No toilet paper (we have plenty though).

I saw a trolley full with just tins of tomato soup!!!!! Everyone was joking in the queue about the panic-buying, but we were all doing it!!!

So today it’s back to work for me and I will be interested to see what my company will do. We are Financial Services so with the stock markets going nuts yesterday we will be busy.

Everything has been cancelled too. No St Patrick’s Day parade or celebrations. No sport. It’s a very strange thing. It’s so quiet outside my house right now, normally all the local kids would be heading off to school, but all I can see is cars still in driveways as Mam and Dad figure out how to mind the kids for the foreseeable.

So take care out there everyone. It’s getting real. This morning we have 70 cases in Ireland, this will increase, but hopefully the draconian measures taken will stop the spread.

Be safe, wash hands, don’t touch your face……don’t panic!

Day 13 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

What a glorious morning, not a breath of wind nor a cloud in the sky and bright sunshine (yes I have woken up, not a dream!) Going to be a busy day, including a decent walk!

Weigh in day today, no movement this week which is slightly annoying, but with finishing off building/fettling up, not been paying quite the same attention to counting calories or walking, back to it this week.
    @basyjames – yes my target is looming, trying to get this next 2 lbs off then my BMI will have dropped from 38 to 34 (loss of 28 lbs) which was my target back in July when I started this WOL!
    Still a long way to go after that, but feeling lots better.
    Looking at my tracker since 27/12 ie 10 weeks, I’ve dropped 11 lbs, this will be my third week (not consecutive) without a loss, so not really worried, this month WILL see my first goal achieved I’m sure.

Take care all.

Day 13 – UK – FD

Good Morning

I slept better last night. I think this in part was due to eating my last meal later than normal and also making it my biggest meal of the day. I will treat today’s FD the same. I’m saving the bulk of my 500 for about 19:00 hours.

@funshipfreddie @ @suki2 thank you for the links to the sleep thread. Still reading through it. I’m going to try the magnesium oil on feet before bed.

@songbirdme I didn’t feel cold on my last FD but I have previously. It’s a cold that’s right at the core of me. I will try the warmers thank you. I generally have a hot drink to warm myself up internally.

@basyjames I understand what you’re saying and I agree. After my sleepless night, once the day got going I didn’t feel sleepy but I did have a headache.

@snowflake56 I love milk so might give that a whirl. I might warm it first.

@michelinme thank you for the link. I’m giving the oil a whirl. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

I’ve read a few posters are unwell but can’t remember everyone’s names/spelling yet (is there a quick way to tag) I wish you all a speedy recovery.

On that note my husband has received an email this morning stating that head of his corporation (boss) is a confirmed case for the COVID 19 virus. Nearly 2 weeks ago the company were very proactive in regards to Coronavirus and permitted all those who could, to work from home, including my husband. This was prior to any thoughts that anyone might have contracted the virus. This was to try to mitigate any affects of Coronavirus on the corporation and the service they provide (multinational). Nonetheless this proactive stance has prevented many workers contracting the virus via the Boss. Being proactive and our own advocates is so important during this unprecedented time.

Take care & stay safe.

Day 13 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Wow? The world’s gone mad. And I’m supposed to be flying to South America next month. I booked it in January. And it’s ‘Friday the 13th’; what else can go wrong?!

@lilymartin – plenty of loo rolls here, but the hand sanitizer disappeared several days ago 🤔

Delaying today’s FD until tomorrow; I think I’ll want to drink tonight…

Day 13 UK CD

Had set my target for March at 62.8 kg and the scales today read 63.1 kg so almost there mid way through the month! That’s after really sticking with the plan this month. Proves it does work …. if you stick with it!!
    I’ve dipped in and out of 5:2 since reaching 59 kg in 2017… and then gaining almost all the weight back, around 10 kg.. Have decided, finally, the penny has dropped…. once it’s gone this time… no more gaining!!
    That’s the plan anyway!

Planning a very controlled day today. Good luck to all today’s fasters.

Day 13, UK FD

All meals planned for today so should be under 500 for the day. Scales this morning show a 1 lb loss in March so far . Not bad as on Monday I appeared to have gained 5 lbs.

@daffodil2010 we went to a supermarket yesterday, the car park was full and the cashier said it had been mad all morning- still no toilet roll to be seen. I wanted drain unblocker – there was plenty of that😀
    @michelinme – I’ll try to remember “ we are not a bin”. It’s probably ingrained in many of us not to let food go to waste.

We’re off to Wales tomorrow till next Wednesday. I’ve planned our meals but I know snacks might be a problem when we’re out and about. I’m predicting a few B2Bs when we get back.

Keep healthy all.

Pocket list Day 13 –
    @cateaus
    @lilymartin
    @betsylee
    @saffy420

Day 13 USA (Illinois) NFD

It is so interesting to read everyone’s posts, especially on how each of us is dealing with world-wide health issues. Hugs to all. I’m having to decide on a couple events I am in charge of (our Choral Society concert & P.E.O. gatherings) that involve many senior citizens (like me). One event would be March 29 and the other April 25. Whew… likely delaying the concert for sure. Hard to do as we all love to sing, but the pressures of caution seem to be making the cancellation inevitable.

We already miss college basketball so much at our house! We were looking forward to our alma mater, Univ. of Illinois, playing more games. Oh well… all has been cancelled.

@matpi @ccco – yes, panic buying is crazy.

@lilymartin – despite what could be scary health news, I have every confidence that you’ll get ahead of any permanent situation and succeed.

@michelinme – you’re so right that everyone here is wonderfully supportive. Go ahead and ‘ghost’ away as you need to!

@judyjudes – how fortunate your hubs is to be part of a great, proactive company.

@mia139 – yeah for you, sticking with this program, and look at your success. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Onward and downward.

Day 13 NFD Friday the 13th, no less and the world appears to have gone topsy turvy

Just a few days ago I watched a woman on TV say this virus was just another media/democratic hoax and now everyone is trying to build mountains of toilet paper and pools of hand sanitizer – quite a pendulum swing; but I can understand why people are scared.

@judyjudes your husband is so fortunate to work for such an empathetic and proactive company

@lilymartin you got this, you have done it before and now you have even more reason to stick with the plan-you can do this

Stay safe everyone, take precautions and enjoy the precious minutes with your loved ones

Day 13, UK FD

Lost a post from earlier so just checking in. We’re away tomorrow to a cottage in Wales, for a few days, I’ve planned our meals but I know the big temptations will be snacks. After a long walk why do I feel I’ve earned a coffee and a cake?

Shopping for it earlier, my DH asked if we could take some crisps as snacks “as it won’t be a holiday otherwise”, unfortunately that aisle also seems to be suffering from panic buyers. I have visions of us all sitting on the couch, watching Netflix and stuffing our faces with crisps and peanuts whilst surrounded by toilet rolls 😀Hula hoops don’t appear to be that popular , so a multi pack found their way into the trolley- they’re relatively low calorie and I’ll ration myself

Seems we’re all experiencing the same things re this virus wherever we are. Hoping we all keep safe and well over the next few months.

Have a good weekend everyone.

USA Day 13 NFD

Well, the world seems to be getting on the same page with regard to the Coronavirus. Ireland is shutting down the same way as many of the states over here with schools, daycare, harbors for cruise ships, flying into or out of the USA! My daughter says she is keeping my grandson away from old people! I had to laugh because I guess that means me. There is a run on the grocery stores. The world seems a little upside down right now but I know this will pass, too. My niece works for CBS news in New York and she was evacuated from her building the other day when another employee tested positive. NBC is in that building, too, so they broadcasted live from someone’s kitchen! It was entertaining to watch them try to do that. My brother says my niece is fine, though. Thank God! As a retired person, I don’t come into too much contact with enough people, so I am pretty much isolated. I should be fine. I have family members on a round the world cruise which started before all this. They’ve been denied access to many ports and I don’t know how they will get home. The ports where I live are closed to cruise ships. Many states are closing the public school systems throughout, which means many parents will be unable to go to work. Telecommuting will work for some but not all. Well, we shall see!

Day 13 UK FD
    Just checking in …

Day 14 Tas, Aus NFD
    Just checking in too. Did a fast day yesterday, but made the mistake of having my main meal in the middle of the day & consequently did not sleep well last night. I will try not to do that again.
    I’m getting anxious about flying next Friday & can’t concentrate enough to post “properly”. We fly to Sydney & stay a night & then further north next day. So- airports, planes, hotels….I have the usual anxiety about close contact with other humans in a confined space due to having MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities) & I think I will wear my mask on the planes & may add a pair of silk gloves to the mix as my face always gets itchy when I am near people with fragrance on them. I managed to find some fragrance-free wipes in the supermarket for my hands at least. I should have bought more really. I might tomorrow. I couldn’t believe how loaded people’s trolleys were yesterday. The shelves & fridge space that were the sparsest were the junk food ones. I might stock up on a few staples as we will be away 10 days & it would be handy to have some spares. Just a few though.

Day 14, Emden Germany, NFD

also just checking in, not much to report.

Enjoy your weekend and stay safe everyone!

Day 14 Melb Aust CD

Okay today; managed a CD instead of a TDEE today, but will allow myself a TDEE day tomorrow. Weigh-in this morning, yay, another kg down, so I’ve lost 2 kgs so far this month.

Sounds like everyone is facing supermarket madness. I have enough of just about everything, which is good, but I’d appreciate having some hand sanitiser. Not sure I’m willing to go to the supermarket at 7 a.m. in the hope of getting some, though.

Keep well everyone, and keep on the downward trail.

Day 14 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Checking in over coffee. All the bars and restaurants in my village were buzzing last night and other family members say it was the same where they live. People are not getting the memo it seems.

Or else it was that thing where everyone decided to go out for one last hoorah before the inevitable lockdown starts (rumours abounding it will be Monday and the army will be deployed 😨).

One scary thing for me is that one of my colleagues in work who shares the same pod of desks, so we are all within a couple of metres of each other, went home yesterday with flu symptoms and they were sending somebody out to test her for Covid-19 😱 She had just returned from 3 weeks in Spain where she had been looking after her mother who was sick in hospital. She rocked back to work Tuesday and coughed and sneezed for 3 days….no direction from Management to send her home or self-isolate…and she could have worked from home!!!

So now there is a group of us wondering what her results will be and the effect on us.

It’s hard not to get into that “stocking up” frame of mind. Right now I am planning to head to a shop to get my Oatbran so that at least I can bake my bread if needs be 👍

And my hands are in bits from the drying effect of hand-sanitiser ☹️ Let’s all stay safe.
    The world is changing rapidly, this pandemic is scary, but calmness must prevail. We will get through it.

Day 14 – Japan – NFD

Day 14 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

@mia139 – re your ‘no more gaining’ comment, must admit that’s my plan in general terms, holiday gain I can deal with (2 or 3 weeks working on it immediately after holiday works for me.) The graph on my tracker keeps heading slowly down, but I’ve had a number of occasions where I’ve had a week without loss, despite thinking it was a ‘good’ week, but as long as the graph doesn’t go upwards I don’t worry.

What a fabulous day yesterday, no need to self isolate where we live, a walk then gardening most of the day, hardly saw anyone else apart from my OH. Garden starting to look more like, we have a big rockery, it was noticeable how much easier it was working on it this time, less of me to move around! Been told (again) “you can only wear them for gardening” problem is I’ve got more gardening clothes than anything else now! Best dressed gardener for miles, just a bit baggy ….LOL

Hope everyone and your families are keeping well and away from the bugs, if you do get it hope you recover quickly.

@daffodil2010 – hope none of you picked anything up from your colleague.

Take care all.

Day 14 – UK – NFD

Good Morning

I had my main bulk of calories of my FD later in the day to see if it would help me stay asleep. To be honest I had a little more and ended on 750. Alas I was awake at 02:00 hmmm. I did manage to fall back asleep around 05:00. Perhaps the poster who said just to develop an acceptance of less sleep on the evening of FDs is the way to go (sorry I forgot your name).

@daffodil2010 Fingers crossed you don’t catch anything and I hope your colleague doesn’t test positive. Is the oat bran bread you make GF? If so may I have the recipe please?

Take care & stay safe.

Day 14 UK NFD

Morning everyone. Well the scales this morning show I’ve reached the target I set for the end of March….a 2 kg loss to 62.8 kg. Won’t set a new target, just carry on and see where I get to! The nearer I get to my goal this time, the more determined I am to see this through. I have a wardrobe full of clothes I can’t wear and have reached the ” no more” point!

Hope everyone is staying safe from the virus. Apart from the cancellation of all the sport, life here in Scotland goes on as normal. We await news of possible further restrictions.
    Good luck to all the fasters today.

Day 14 second Post -ended up making it a TDEE day, but it should be okay.

Keep well, everyone.

Day 14 UK NFD

Just back from Zumba followed by Bodypump , Gym quieter than usual but not by much , everyone being sensible washing items down etc but not sure how long it’ll remain open ? Strange times Stay healthy all

Day 14, London, UK, FD

Forgot to post on a busy day yesterday, so …………………… Long post alert!!!

Hhmm, I had to think about whether it’ll be a FD or not as I was typing. I had an impromptu FD yesterday, so I’m striking whilst the mojo iron is hot and throwing in another one since I’m feeling particularly positive today.
    Yesterday started with a killer Pilates class, then a visit to my mum who turned 81 on Tuesday, I’ve kept my distance this week as I’m limiting visits to essential only; so yesterday I visited, stayed outside of her 1m radius, prepped lunch for her & filled her tablet box for the week. It’s going to be hard for her, as I left she asked “So when will I see you again, tomorrow?” ………………. Her Alzheimers’ means she understands about the virus & agrees to not having so many visitors, then she forgets and anticipates her usual routine including a full weekend of rotating visits from children, grandchildren & great-grandchildren!!! @ccco, unfortunately, keeping the ‘yung uns’ away from my mum is the best thing for everyone …………….. as hard as it will be, I certainly don’t want to be the one who brings anything to her that causes any issues!!

@songbirdme, you should guard those rice bag warmers …………………………….. you might be eating them if the empty supermarket shelves are any indication of future panic buying!!!

@basyjames, I never had any eye issues until last October, since then it’s been multiple styes, chalazions and dry eyes (Meibomian dysfunction). Thanks for the well wishes everyone. The doctor has been less than helpful, but research tells me it’s probably hormonal …………………………. Night sweats, hot flushes AND dry sore eyes!!!! Knowing this could last for 15-20 years fills me with dread!!! I’m searching for a natural hormone balancing regime, I’ve started with ACV; Maca, cacao & almond milk before bed; Parched March which is helping and reducing processed carbs too, (chocolate is no longer my friend!!) but I’m going to add some extra steps until the magic ‘1 year TOM free’ time limit is over ……………………….. then it’s HRT all the way!!!

@lilymartin, you have an unwanted boost to your mojo now, you did this before ………………………… you CAN do it again!! You know you’re not going to CHOOSE poor health, so ………………………… You’ve got this!!!

I don’t get the toilet paper thing, apparently it’s psychologically linked to germs & cleanliness rather than common sense!!! You can’t eat it after-all and if you run out…………………… anyone heard of a bidet??? ………….. surely you would just jump in the shower!!!

@i-hate-lettuce, love the best dressed gardener image!! I had an episode at work a while ago (before the gain ……… Sob!) when a tactless colleague asked me about my ‘clown pants’ on one hand I was chuffed I had to pin the waist and could still remove them without un-buttoning, on the other hand ……………………………. Cheeky cow!!!

Is it just me or does knowing you can’t touch your face mean there’s a continuous itch, twitch, tickle or tic somewhere above your neck??? Some advice I saw on the news, as it’s easier to DO something than to NOT DO something, DO try to keep your hands below your shoulders rather than NOT touch your face ……………………. That’s my goal for the day!

@at, I hope you’re lurking somewhere as you come to terms with your grief, sending you hugs and channelling your mantra that always gives me hope …………………………

“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 14 USA (Illinois) NFD

3.14 – Pi Day — anyone planning a piece of pie? Not I. At least, not planned!

@flourbaby – we’re fortunate to have a deep freeze full of food, so it will be many many moons before we have to resort to rice bags! Ha ha! Also, plenty of toilet paper which seems to be the locally hoarded item. Who knows why?

Day with some shopping, Costco, Macy’s, then out for supper.

Onward and downward.

Day 14 Oxfordshire, UK – NFD
    Thursday’s FD was a NFD in the end. Busy day out yesterday, lots of walking so hopefully offset the lots of eating. Out for dinner tonight with neighbours so will try to be mindful.
    Supermarkets here have no pasta, rice or flour. There were toilet rolls but no hand sanitiser. Crazy times.

Day 14 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Just checking in. Hope everyone’s having a good weekend. Keep calm & wash your hands!🧴️

Pocket List – Day 14 🍏
    @funshipfreddie

Day 14 Ohio, US — NFD (58 bites)
    Day 13 — NFD (60 bites)

All went well today and I met all my eating targets. We had a little surprise this afternoon with a nice springtime snow fall. That’s a good reminder that summer is quite a ways off yet.

This morning I needed a couple of items from the supermarket, so went out and did my shopping at 7:15 am. Not my favorite time, but it did avoid the crazy crowds.

Here’s a question — what do you use to clean off fresh produce like tomatoes or apples? Soap and water are not recommended because even with thorough rinsing they can leave harmful residues. Can you use a weak bleach solution or what?

@songbirdme I usually just restock my pantry items when they begin to get low so that I never run out of anything. Yesterday I calculated that by following that strategy I have enough food to eat in the house to last about 3 weeks. Not that the menu would be varied at all by the end of that time, but it could be done. Fasting twice a week helps to stretch food resources a lot! So that’s another argument in favor of 5:2 and one that under ordinary circumstances I wouldn’t have thought of.

Hope everyone had a great matPI day!

Day 15, Emden Germany, NFD

@matpi in a dry environment the virus will only survive for a few hours so I assume when you eat your fruit or vegetables you’ll be safe. We don’t do anything different. Something to watch out for is money, it goes through many hands so fast. The infection rate through surfaces plays a minor role compared to aerosols.

@daffodil2010 hope you all stay safe!

@mia139 well done!

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 15 Melb Aust TDEE

Doing okay, but the panic buying is ridiculous. Here in my city, apparently it’s now moved on to meat products – guess people have enough room in their freezers. Like @matpi, I keep up with my restocking, and actually (a habit I got into for my father when I was buying weekly groceries for him many years ago) I usually have a spare of everything so I never run out. The only “person” I’m concerned about is Wilbur, my cat – trying to ensure I have enough food for him if I am quarantined, and I bought and froze 2 weeks’ worth of meat for him a few weeks ago, so he should be right. I’ll buy a few more cans of “wet” food and some dry food this week, as well.

One good/ disappointing thing – a workshop I was going to attend tomorrow has been cancelled; that will save me about 2 hours of walking and public transport each way (i.e., total 4 hrs). It may be re-scheduled later in the year, but for now, they’ll send everyone a refund. I wanted to do the workshop, but not the effort required to get there. It might be easier to get there later in the year because (I hope) I’ll be lighter and have more energy. 🙂

Okay, enough for now. Onward and downwards everyone.

Day 15 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Never seen our area so quiet! We live in an AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) which means we always have a lot of visitors, but it has become very noticable the numbers of visitors has plummeted! Very spooky, nowhere near as many cars on the roads, the businesses must be finding it hard. However, folk are obviously being cautious and hopefully it will pay off?

Hope everyone and your families are keeping well and not finding the situation too difficult.

Take care all

Day 15 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@songbirdme – pi day?! Never heard that one before. Although that’s one of the few things I remember from school, despite never needing to calculate the circumference of a circle 😅

Have a good S🌞nday everyone!

Day 15 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Coffee and check in, but looking forward to a bowl of porridge shortly and means although an NFD I am still doing 16:8

So I have spent much of the weekend cleaning my house and going around all the handles and door knobs to make them extra clean. It’s not a lockdown yet, we can still go out, so each time I come back home from a walk or errand I have been cleaning the front door and my car door handles. Honestly I feel quite OCD but we are being told to wash, wash, wash hands and keep surfaces clean.

The amount of people who are ignoring the social distancing request and crowding into bars and restaurants is simply staggering. This is exactly what happened in Italy before they went to total lockdown, and it’s looking like Ireland will go that way soon. I actually felt such anger at a friend of mine who WhatsApp’d from her crowded local joking that there was too much hysteria about Covid-19……I didn’t reply….

So me, except for work, shops, or my early morning walk, will be staying at home. There might not be much choice about that anyway in the coming days ☹️

@flourbaby Good on you looking out for you mum, it’s really a hard time for us with elderly parents and trying to explain to them why things have to be different.

Luckily a brother and a sister still live with my Dad so he has people too look out for him, BUT, my brother would also be in the medically compromised group so they all have to stay safe.

Stay safe please everyone. This too will pass, but right now it’s the deep breath before the surge.

Day 15 NFD. Paris.

All bars and restaurants are closed here. Supermarkets open, and other essential shops like tobacconists. That made me laugh. It’s quiet here, as everywhere. DH and I both have horrible colds, but no virus symptoms, although it’s quite nerve wracking. We have another five days to go, and hopefully we will make it home by Eurostar, although I guess nothing is certain. As you say, @daffodil 2010, this too will pass. Who would’ve guessed the world could change so dramatically and so quickly? Best wishes to everybody on the forum. I hope you keep safe and well.

Day 15, London, UK, NFD

Yesterdays’ FD went down the pan, sobbing friend turned up with obligatory bottle of wine to drown her relationship sorrows!! Apologies fellow ‘Parched Marchers’ but Parched March was put on hold for one night, I couldn’t have got through it without the vino. Relationship drama is soooooo ………………. Well, dramatic!!!

@funshipfreddie, are you waiting to hear about your trip? I’ve just paid the 2nd instalment on my July holiday which may or may not get cancelled, we just have to keep calm & carry on as normal until those in the ‘know’ say otherwise!!

@matpi, I use a salt solution or a vinegar wash unless I’m peeling them. I guesstimate, but probably 1:9 for the vinegar:water and maybe 4tsp:1L for the salt:water.

@daffodil2010, we’re definitely walking the same path!! My brother who lives with my mum (after a divorce!) is in the susceptible group too after a bout of pneumonia a couple of years ago. He’s being extra careful, as we all are, but the best thing is to limit my visits to essential only. Daily phone calls as normal should be enough. If the elderly are housebound for 4 months my mum should be ok since she doesn’t venture out much, but the limited visits might be hard to bear!

I ran out of coffee this morning, which is a good thing since I’m planning to start my days with green tea, and keep myself going with peppermint throughout the day. It put me in mind of a meme I saw a while ago …………………………….

“I ran out of coffee this morning………………………………

Vodka seemed like a reasonable replacement ……………………………………… Everyone is sooooo pretty today!!!”

Day 15, UK NFD

Yesterday was a face stuffing day. Went to visit parents and they had decided to treat me to fish n chips for lunch. It was a lovely thought but not quite what I had in mind. I then spent a fruitless couple of hours trying to persuade them to cancel a holiday they have booked to Blackpool at the end of the month. Hopefully it will be cancelled anyway- they’re both in their 80s and in relatively good health but I’d be relieved if they do say over 70s need to self isolate, despite the problems it will bring re getting food and medicine to them.

The cottage we’re staying in is lovely and cosy with a big log fire so the day ended with wine and hula hoops. Who brought hula hoops with us, oh yes me and who said they would be rationed – me again! Who’s an idiot- me.

Today the weather looks ok so a nice long walk is in order.

Keep safe everyone and keep washing those hands.

Day 15 UK NFD

Strange times indeed Trying to carry on as normally as possible Just cancelled a trip we had booked for April , luckily Airbnb was eligible for full refund and BA are allowing cancellations with a year long “voucher “ But who knows how long things will be disrupted…… Fasting tomorrow

Hi, how are you all doing? Just thought I’d pop in so you know I’m still around though not currently participating.
    I see lots of talk about the dreaded world lurgy. Quite unnerving….just think, if it wasn’t for the media, we’d know nothing was wrong, would we? I’m NOT looking forward to us “oldies” potentially being locked up and isolated….or having to self-quarantine if occasion requires.
    Church today was sparsely attended, no close contact, no hand shaking, no holy water, no wine, no hymn books. Our priest was “off sick” (oooh-er)….we had a stand-in.
    The shops have been stripped….it’s quite ridiculous, as these shortages are caused by people buying more than they need. If everyone stayed calmer, there’d be no shortages! But hey….in a year from now we’ll look back and it’ll have all resolved….hopefully!
    I’m on my long weekend….so eating too much as I’m at home lots. Won’t dare weigh myself ha….ha..!
    Stay well xx

Day 15 USA (Illinois) NFD

My Anniversary Day (the Ides of March …only way I remember it) FOUR YEARS on this WOL, and still doing well! Yeah!

Onward and downward.

Day 16, FD, Aus

Oh dear @lilymartin – sounds like you’ve had quite the medical wake-up call but the good news is you know what to do, and know that it works! We’re here in support.

Stay safe and healthy everyone in these crazy times.

Day 15 UK NFD

Back from 3 days silent retreat, ate far too much but refreshed on the inside! Sorry for being a ghost host – i’ll catch up with posts tomorrow.

Sending love to all – whatever the day brings, go gently x

USA Day NFD

Well, going on FDs right now doesn’t seem to be an option right now with all my stress eating. My State is virtually on a lockdown. With nothing to do because everything is closed, including churches, and with restaurants beginning not to allow patrons to eat on the premises but order takeout (even the finest restaurants, there really isn’t anywhere to go. Museums and libraries closed down! Even casinos and off betting, race tracks, sports are gone, and in some states government is asking people who are 65+ years old to stay at home and self quarantine. I have been bothered members of the family trapped out of the country! Finally, two members of my family who are on a six month world cruise are being allowed tomorrow to dock in Australia where Americans will then board planes back to the U.S. It will be quite a haul for the two who are in their seventies like me but I have faith! Now all I have to do is control my eating!!!

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 676 total)

You must be logged in to reply.