Springing Up – March 2020 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Springing Up – March 2020 Challenge

This topic contains 674 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 4 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 676 total)

• Day 3 UK CD

WFD slipped into F800 yesterday but that’ll do me. I didn’t sleep for long last night but woke feeling more rested & brighter today, which is wonderful.

I’m reminded that often the smallest things create positive change… a good night’s sleep, the sun shining, remembering to drink more water, eating mindfully, having a plan. Gently getting back on track after a couple of months either free-falling or running alongside the waggon and feeling too exhausted to clamber on!

Today will be a straightforward CD. Popping out to top up shopping and plenty to fit in over the next couple of days. No meetings or commitments until the weekend so looking forward to catching up with projects, home things and myself! Day 3 and not started my “daily yoga & meditation” – that’s the next thing needing attention!

—————————————————————————–

@cavanya Sounds like a long tough time. And you are springing up – here’s to hitting your first big goal this month
    @songbirdme thanks for saying it like it is! This WOL works – if we follow it!
    @basyjames you’ve made such a great turn around! Thanks for reminding me of apples – I munched through 3 yesterday and got past my sweet cravings 🙂
    @ccco great idea to keep up your languages with films. Which ones do you speak?
    @helen285 I see @cateaus and @basyjames answered your question about pocket lists and meal planning. There’s lots to pick up but we are a wonderfully supportive group! You may wish to reread the introduction to the thread and 5:2 basics, and the forum is full of useful information eg Lots of recipes at https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/forum/food/recipes/
    @mia139 Well done on your 1kg loss in February. Here’s to daily posting for accountability 🙂
    @cateaus your posts both came through fine on the website, your long post is up twice. Sometimes they seem to hang in the ether for a few minutes! I find it helpful to copy them before posting just in case… Thank you for keeping the spreadsheet in such good order – way to go for learning new things!
    @mogaman Sorry about that… you are definitely a fixutre! We had a whole new spreadsheet this time around, starting from zero and building up. @cateaus v kindly started us off and we’ll keep adding as people arrive 🙂
    @angrypony way to go with your first WFD! I’d call a WFD any day that doesn’t have calories, but I’ll pass your question about what makes a WFD over to @dykask. He’s our resident WFD expert & has read screeds & pulled dozens over the last few years!!
    @matpi my that’s a long day! Thanks for the reminder about Spring equinox 🙂
    @bellyblast @angrypony I’m up for a 30 day meditation challenge too! Finding it hard to get going again, despite it being a Lent thing for me…
    @betsylee well done on the unplanned FD 🙂 I see from the spreadsheet we are almost at the same point heading for the same place – hoping you’re not going to overtake me!
    @daffodil2010 Looking forward to tracking you and @flourbaby this month. We are back on the waggon and making progress!
    @brightonbelle magnesium oil has revolutionised my sleep! After 20 years of intermitten unrefreshing sleep I generally sleep like a baby now – when I remember to use it!
    @ihatelettuce thank you for the reminder – water is so important, esp on FDs. And makes fasting so much easier 🙂
    @judyjudes Sounds like a lovely Birthday! Don’t beat yourself up – this is a WOL not a diet, and feasting / celebrating milestones is an important part of life! Being aware is what makes the difference between a treat and a habit, and sounds like you are doing just fine 🙂
    @jaifaim staying still is sometimes a real achievement! (sadly I went up 4lbs for Feb!)
    @flourbaby welcome back! Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I’m also 20lbs back 2 years in my weight – and yes, the thing with this WOL is it works if we actually Do It!
    @suki2 thanks for the mouthwatering recipe – I’ll try it with some quorn (vegan) chicken at the weekend 🙂

“Spring is a reminder of how beautiful change can be” (anon)

Day 3 USA (Illinois) FD

It’s not often I do a FD on a Silver Sneakers day, but gonna do it. Salad supper with some sauteed chicken & mushrooms will suffice today.

@bestylee – completely agree the filling power of a little fat, especially in my face! I also am mistaken for being younger (we will never complain about that, will we?)

@flourbaby – your “Parched March” moniker made me laugh out loud. Keeping my wine consumption really low is my way to join you. Maybe a glass a week when out for dinner with DH.

Pocket list day 3 –
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @songbirdme

Onward and downward.

Day 3 Canton OH WFD2

@cateaus it’s the mystery of the vanishing post! That has happened to me more times than I care to remember, which is why I type up my post on a word document and transfer to the forum. I actually enjoy the break of a dry month, hot flashes are almost non-existent when I abstain – so it’s a win for me actually. I slept so well and so deep last night, I did not want to get out of bed to exercise- I have been slacking on that front and I aim to be more consistent with working out.

@betsylee area of interest or not, Kudos! Ideally we should pursue areas of interest, right. Imagine being forced to study a subject you have no interest in 🙁

@funshipfreddie and @ccco I recently started learning Spanish on duolingo, I love it. My goal is to listen to (and understand) Spanish podcasts. After which I plan to study Italian. Thanks for the reminder to drink up

@judyjudes birthdays occur only once a year, so you over-indulged? It will come off, don’t feel defeated. I think it’s important to enjoy the moments. Losing weight is a journey, not a sprint. There will be ups and downs, as long as you stick with it and stay consistent over time-you will succeed

@flourbaby you’re speaking my language, parched March it is! I agree, accountability is a must. Bring it on rock hard abs and buns of steel!!!

March plankers
    @basyjames
    @angrypony
    @jaifam
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby

Parched March
    @flourbaby
    @basyjames

Pocket list day 3 –
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @flourbaby
    @suki (maybe)
    @basyjames WFD2
    @songbirdme

USA Day 3 WFD

I am putting myself back on the pocket list. Yesterday’s WFD day ended in an epic binge with stress eating. I shouldn’t use bad news as an excuse to eat and rarely do it, so now I will repair the damage with another WFD.

Pocket list day 3 –
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @ccco

Good luck today, pocket lister
    FUNDSHIPFREDDIE, many libraries in the States are online now, so I joined my local online library website. I can do many things now without ever setting foot in the library, including reading books and practicing or learning new languages. The best part is, it’s all free! 🙂 I have used Rosetta some years ago but I had to pay for it. It’s really quite good and has an open online room where you can sign up to practice speaking to people from all over the world. My library had a contract with Rossetta Stone but last year they switched to Mango. That is what I am using now! It’s fun and I encourage it.

Daffodil2010, I think your friend should go for the forensic science! There are so many fascinating careers out there today that didn’t exist when I was a young woman. If they did, I may have made different choices in my life.

Sui2, I love your recipe. I am making a copy of it, so I can try it out.

Betsylee, I guess some people might call us egg heads with all that education! My father used to say I made a wonderful professional student but my curiosity drove me. I am also very interested in intercultural information and it drove my background in anthropology and International law. I am from New York City and at one time worked for the United Nations. It was awesome! 🙂

FUNDSHIPFREDDIE and Betsylee, my languages in addition to English, of course, are French, German, and Italian. While Gaelic was spoken in my father’s family, I never could get a handle on that. In addition to having those three languages spoken in my family, I also studied them. I lived in France as a young woman while studying at the Sorbonne, another great adventure! LOL

Have a great day, everyone!

USA Day 3 WFD

Basyjames, I think our posts overlapped, so I am adding myself to your pocket list.

Pocket list day 3 –
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @flourbaby
    @suki (maybe)
    @basyjames WFD2
    @songbirdme
    @ccco

I am also in for planking. I do them anyway, so I am adding myself to your plank list.

March plankers
    @basyjames
    @angrypony
    @jaifam
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby
    @ccco

Day 3, Cheshire UK FD

So the kitchen is closed for today, I managed just over 500 calories and I’ll probably have an early night as I haven’t been sleeping that well, seems a few of us are having the same problem.

@cateaus, I try to stay to about 1000- 1200 calories on mid week NFDs as my weekends tend to be eating out and meeting friends. I never fast on a Saturday or Sunday. I try and stay off the booze Mon-fri, again because wine and gin tend to be part of the Weekend. I find with my mid week limit I can eat well, – a sandwich for lunch and a healthy evening meal. My problem has always been the “extras” I eat between meals – chocolate, cake, crisps etc not the actual,”proper meals” I make. I guess we’re all different in our approaches whilst staying true to the spirit of 5:2.

Tomorrow sees us off to the Lakes for a couple of days. Apparently we’re meeting some friends in the highest pub in England for lunch at 1pm – yikes. Looks like we’re starting as we mean to go on.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Pocket list day 3 –
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @judyjudes
    @flourbaby
    @suki (maybe)
    @basyjames WFD2
    @songbirdme
    @ccco
    @helen285

Thank you @basyjames for the advice

Thanks to @cateaus too

Day 3 UK CD

Was out for lunch and thought it might be a bust but the menu had lighter options so had a baked potato with chilli beef. Only ate half so hopefully not too bad. Dinner was some home made veg soup and that’s the kitchen closed!
    Holding on tight to the wagon!

Day 3 2nd post.

Thank you All for the Happy Birthday wishes! I agree about not beating myself up about Birthday treats.

I salvaged today to a degree. When I got to friends she had put a gluten free spread on. I had one small sandwich and an inch square of flap jack. Had turkey & veg stir fry for evening meal. Closed belly & kitchen at 600 cals. Does that count as a FD or a CD? Aiming for a 500 cal day tomorrow to compensate.

@suki that’s a great recipe thank you for sharing. Screen shot it as it’s going in menu plan for next week.

Night All.

Day 3 – NFD – Donegal Ireland

Very late posting even by my standards, the day just away from me. Had a good fast day yesterday. Took myself off to bed a bit earlier than usual to avoid temptation. Dogs had their groom today & I go to a coffee shop while I wait for them. So today I had a totally guilt free late breakfast and just some fruit for dinner tonight.
    @cateaus I have two Shih Tsu rescued in Sept 2018, they’re 6/7 years old now and very well behaved. They came as a pair, are very close and just the best company.
    @suki2 thanks for the recipe & @judyjudes belated happy birthday
    @songbirdme who logged into MFP over 1197 days straight 👏 WOW now thats commitment to maintenance ! Fair play to you.
    @michelinme, your springing up to March has worked the sun was shining today. Finally a touch of spring

Day 4 West Australia NFD
    Too many leaving/ celebration parties; lunches out with family and friends etc over the long weekend to do a proper fast . But I have been more mindful.
    Giving up chocolate and wine for Lent helps.
    Cutting down on coffee and sugar too. Phew! Nothing like trying to throw everything at this WOL to get seriously back on track.
    Busy busy busy at work at present. 5am starts and 11 pm finishes so barely time to think let alone read all the posts but I am keeping them for my next FD.
    Hope everyone is travelling OK.
    We have just started autumn here in Australia and already the mornings have that lovely cooler autumnal feel.
    I think the garden and some exercise call at the weekend….
    Have a good day all.

Day 3, US, NFD

Tomorrow’s next FD! Thank you @cateaus and @Michellinme, thankful for the support. Really makes one humble in life so have that going for me ha.

Little one was sent home sick with fever and cough, told me he’s not allowed back tomorrow (normally they don’t say that) so must be extra cautious of all the things going around and coronavirus it makes sense. Always so hard when trying to work, thankfully I work
    From home and at a global Firm.

Day 4, NFD, Aus

Late to the party! Hello all. I’ve been missing in action lately, my mojo has gone AWOL and my motivation is in full retreat. I need to marshal my troops and get back into 5:2 action. Please excuse all the military terminology but I feel like I’m ready for battle this month!

About me. Well, I’ve been doing 5:2 for years it seems but never commit to in for long enough for it to be truly a WOL for me. I’m in my mid-40s (how’s that for denial – I have to get out a calculator to get the exact age!), married, two dogs, and live in the nation’s capital. 5:2 does work for me when I stick to it (and I’m not a calorie counter) and I lose weight. I like to do a liquid only FD (coffee, coffee) on Mondays and Thursdays. If I try and limit myself to 500 calories on those days, I just run the risk of opening the flood gates and eating more. Eating nothing is easier. Simples, huh? But I also love my red wine and gin martinis which is the undoing of many good intention.

So, plan for March. Dry ‘til Friday. Post. Be mindful. Stick to FDs.

Thank you @michelinme for hosting. I think your opening post is the best I’ve seen yet – no doubt it will be heavily plagiarised! Thanks too @cateaus for your spreadsheet work – but don’t bother including me as I don’t use it.

Still catching up on posts so pls excuse for not commenting on any specific ones; but welcome to the newbies, and great to see the stayers. I love this forum!

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Happy Hump Day! 🐫

Plenty of room on today’s list; feel free to join me!

Pocket List – Day 4 🥕
    @funshipfreddie

Day 4 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD
    1st of B2B

Doing well so far. Yesterday’s NFD was mindful, there was spaghetti with the chilli beef mince as DD is staying for a while (hope she sorts out her love-life issues soon though ), so we put on some pasta for dinner. I rarely have it now, I don’t eat much white carbs these days, but it was yum!

And no effect on the scales so happily now heading into my first FD of my B2B. Don’t think I am ready for a liquid only as its still too cold, but MFP has mapped all I plan to eat today at 492 calories so that’s great (as long as I stick to it 😄).

@ccco Wow, you have had such an interesting life. I would love to have a coffee with you and hear your story!!! As for Gaelic, hey, we all learnt that language in school, but ifs gone from my brain mostly now….if you don’t use it you lose it. Loving all the app tips for language learning though, I really must improve my Spanish.

@ownz Yay, you are back. I noticed you were a bit late and was hoping you would join up, so great to have you on board. Some of us long timers are having issues recently, we need to buck ourselves up and strap ourselves in.

@flourbaby and @michelinme….that’s uncanny that all of us have slid back two years in the last year….life etc gets in the way but let’s stop being ostriches and get back to happy weight of 2018 👍👍👍👍👍

At least whatever weight that was gained did not bring us back right to the start, so, @flourbaby, your quote is apt…..we are definitely doing better than if we were not even trying.

I know right now that there could be a load of posts about to post from @funshipfreddie, @jaifaim, @i-hate-lettuce, so I will post a Pocket List and hope we don’t all mix each other up 😆

Pocket list Day 4
    @daffodil2010

Have a great Wednesday.

Day 4 – UK – FD (sub 500)

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening

Today I’m having an extra FD of sub 500 cals to compensate for the previous 2 days indiscretions.

Miso soup for lunch (31 cals) and chicken stir fry for evening meal. Plenty of hot drinks sans milk or cream.

Planning on doing a bit of gardening today. The garden is very inviting with a dry day forecast and bird song.

Take care.

Day 4 – FD – Ireland
    🚫 ✅🤸‍♂️
    Hi all…. not a bad CD yesterday… I’ll go for a FD again today inspired by all those of you who are winning 💪
    @bellyblast I am joining the meditation challenge too.. I have to apply myself to time out each day so thank you for mentioning it!
    @cateaus @flaquita (I think) had a great idea for squats which was to squat 10 times each time you go to the loo! I’d forgotten about it but it’s a great way to incorporate e excercise into your day… I must do it 👍
    @basyjames and @flourbaby I’m with you for Parched March! I am two months on the dry with just a few hop offs for celebrations with others and it feels good. Don’t notice a huge difference weightwise but sugar has to be my enemy at the moment as it sets off all my cravings… resulting in brain fog, etc.

Pocket list Day 4
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim

Have a good day all!
    Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 4 – Lake District UK – FD

Good morning everyone

@daffodil2010 – yes I am a creature of habit, coffee, emails then 5:2 forum!

@saffy420 – enjoy your weekend in the Lakes, looks like you’ve picked a good weather window after all the rain and gales, glorious sunny morning this morning! Seems to be looking like this for a few days, have fun.

After my weekend and letting the Inner Warthog loose, going to see if I can manage 4xB2B FD’s again to make up for it, found last week OK.
    I can’t manage liquid only days, maybe in summer give it another try. Last time I tried it the growling from the Warthogs cage could have been embarrassing if it wasn’t so funny! By heck he can roar if he’s hungry! LOL.

Take care all,

Pocket list Day 4 – edited twice, seems we’re all posting same time! LOL
    @judyjudes
    @jaifaim
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010
    @cavanya

2nd Post

Pocket List – Day 4 🥕
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim

Day 4 – 3rd Post

Oops?! Sorry. @i-hate-lettuce!

Pocket List – Day 4
    @judyjudes
    @jaifaim
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010
    @cavanya

Day 4 UK FD 800

Morning everyone.
    Planning to fast till dinner then having salmon and veg only. Am counting this as an 800 day as I’m not cooking and am unsure how my friend is preparing the food. Hopefully grilled/oven baked and not fried! Will make the suggestion!
    Feeling very motivated at present and committed to posting and reading all posts daily. It really does help to keep me on track. So thanks to everyone for providing such support .

Day 4, London, UK, NFD

Well, I’m sticking to the plan & going back to basics with a NFD whilst at work!! Usually I’m B2B2B for my Tue-Thurs work week (don’t hate me!!) then I’d have to contend with a 4 day weekend of NFDs which inevitably released some greedy binge-y dragons fuelled by wine!! Anyway, I’m looking forward to today’s NFD since being away from my own kitchen means it’ll be controlled. If I think the weekend indulgences have become a habit I’ll consider a Sunday FD just to break the madness!!

@basyjames, the combination of ACV and going ‘dry’ has meant my hot flushes have decreased by about 70% and NO night sweats ……………. yeah!! The only thing waking me up now, is the need for the loo after 3L of water ……………….. twice last night!!!

@penz, welcome back, today I was going to ask whether you were out there lurking in the background!!! The battlefield this month is pretty congested, but there’s always room for one more. Dragon slaying is the name of the game, whether the carb-dragon, red-wine-dragon, mojo-eating-dragon or the I’m-just-too-lazy-to-bother-dragon!!!! There are lots of us who got a wee bit complacent with the ease of 5:2 and now we’re clawing our way back onto the wagon …………………….. you’re in great company and there’s certainly strength in numbers, we’ve got you!!!!

Uurgh, @i-hate-lettuce that’s surely the kiss of death, never, ever assume anything about the British weather!! Today’s sunny bright morning is just a trick to give us a false sense of security because the weather forecast for this afternoon is …………………… torrential rain of the biblical kind!!!! I’ve seriously had enough of this rain!!!
    @ciren2 stay dry!!!

Pocket list escapades are too, too funny ……………………..
    Pocket List – Day 4
    @judyjudes
    @jaifaim
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010
    @cavanya
    @mia139

“A year from now you may wish you had started today”
    – Karen Lamb

Day 4, Tas, Australia, NFD
    Thanks to everyone who commented on my input into the spreadsheet & for your helpful advice. Having my original post yesterday appear hours later was very weird. I will save my posts from now on & check back later. I’m really tired tonight after playing awful golf today & not sleeping well the last 3 nights, so please excuse me not replying to each of you individually.
    I’m going to do another fast tomorrow & will have my main meal in the evening I think. I think I sleep better with that. I will also rub some magnesium oil into my feet each night as I once used to do for cramps. I had forgetten what a difference it made to my sleep.
    Have I missed anyone on the spreadsheet?

Hi everyone I’ve been lurking a bit and hope it’s not too late for me join this month’s challenge. I might as well as I read the posts for motivation and inspiration anyway. No point adding me to the spreadsheet as I can’t see me using it.

A bit about me: Female 60. Married with a son, daughter and step son. 3 grandchildren aged from 2 to 10. We look after the two year old on Thurs and Fri while DD works.

I took early retirement from a very full on and highly stressed job 18 months ago. I had worked FT for very many years before that. I like not working. That might be obvious but for me it was a revelation!

I lost 47 pounds to get down to target of 160 in 2017/18 but didn’t maintain largely due to below. 160 might seem high but I’m 5ft 9 and I’m a very happy comfy size 12 jeans at that.

I then developed a series of seemingly unrelated symptoms which were consistently misdiagnosed for almost 2 years. Looking back though I’d had more minor symptoms I had ignored for about a decade. I and everyone else thought I was going mad! It was a huge relief when I eventually got a proper diagnosis. I’m now doing really well, virtually symptom free. I’m on high levels of medication as I’d been undiagnosed for so long but I’m coping ok with it and the plan is to start a very gradual reduction from August.

I managed with very little effort to put on about 26lbs while all this was going and especially post diagnosis.

I’ve been back on 5/2 since early January and have lost 8lbs so 18 to go. Even now I can see a difference and feel better and positive about it.

I do basic 5/2 ie 500 cals twice a week. Like many people here I find the NFDs harder. Trying for 4/3 this week as have a week of big food challenges coming up next week.

My March target is 5/6 pounds before I go France in early April. This will be quite tough. I only lost 3lbs in Feb but was away for a week.

Really want to get back to 160 and then maintain longterm. I look forward to contributing now as well as reading…

Day 4 UK NFD

Won’t be posting for a few days Off to Rome very early tomorrow but will be back Monday and determined to make this month a good month !

Fellow plankers – did a 30 min intensive abs class yesterday which was great but my goodness having that extra stone or so does make it harder I’m convinced under the many layers of flab there’s a perfect 6 pack waiting to be revealed 🧘‍♀️

@flourbaby – how true ‘There are lots of us who got a wee bit complacent with the ease of 5:2 and now we’re clawing our way back onto the wagon …………’. I’m one of them. I got down to my lowest adult weight after joining this forum about three years ago, and now I’m at my highest adult weight. Not sure what it is, because I don’t weigh myself ( find it counterproductive) but I guess BMI of around 27/28. Just complacency. When I was at my lowest, I had stopped drinking alcohol, which had been an issue for years. Now I swerve wine, which makes me depressed, but drink beer, which I like, but it puts weight on me. So, I’m in for Parched March. No more alcohol for a bit. And then I think I’ll be able to fast too. Have a good Thursday, all.

Day 4 Melb Aust FD

Amazingly, didn’t feel hungry again today, so mainly gave eating a miss. It’s a good thing, as it may move me off my 79kg plateau.

@michelinme, overtake you or not, let’s just do it together, and end up with better weight and health. And realistically, I’m much shorter than you with a lot further to go to reach an ideal weight, so I should be losing more at this stage.

@penz, great to hear from you. Wondered where you’d got to.

@ccco, the UN? Wow, I am impressed. Nothing so interesting for me – medical laboratory scientist for 21 years, followed by a total career change into ESL teaching for a further 20+ years.

Pocket List – Day 4
    @judyjudes
    @jaifaim
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010
    @cavanya
    @mia139
    @betsylee

Goodnight all (my FD is basically over, but let’s add me anyway 🙂 )

Second Post – @michelinme, you’re already 7.5kg less than me! No fair. I certainly won’t be catching up to you this month!

Day 4 Canton OH WFD3

@michelinme thanks! I finally feel like I have found a rhythm that I can maintain long term. My goal is to be mindful with my nutrition and avoid bingeing in between water fasts. I added some bloat during my trip to NOLA, however the scales showed that I am back to pre-trip status which makes me very thankful.

For those who engage in extended water fasts, do you ever experience palpitations? I have noticed elevated heart rate and skipped beats on day 3 of my water fasts. This appears to be my pattern:
    day 1- no hunger, no cravings, sleep like a log (not sure why)
    day 2 – no hunger, no cravings, cold, fitful sleep
    day 3- no hunger, no cravings, palpitations

@penz good to see you

@flourbaby 70%?! That is awesome!!! I tried the ACV too, but for now just water fasting eliminates hot flashes; and I will take it.

Pocket List – Day 4
    @judyjudes
    @jaifaim
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @funshipfreddie
    @daffodil2010
    @cavanya
    @mia139
    @betsylee
    @basyjames WFD3

USA Day 4 NFD

Just checking in!

Day 4 Oxfordshire, UK – NFD
    Yesterday was not a FD. I ate up to my BMR cals, which is ok and in my book a NFD really. Today will be an NFD. With hopefully calories at a similar mark.
    Managed a two hour dog walk this morning, before the rain, thankfully.
    For those of you trying the recipe, I hope you enjoy it.
    @michelinme – I hadn’t realised there was a recipe forum, thx its useful to know
    @sarah57 – well done on the weight loss so far. Where are you going in France? We’re heading over there in April too. We stay in Southern Brittany on the coast.
    @brightonbelle – enjoy Rome, stay healthy
    @judyjudes – belated happy birthday
    Enjoy your day everyone.

Day 4 Canada CD

Enjoying getting back to regular meditation! The increased exercise plan is going great as well, I burned 2000-3000 cal each day this month thanks to xc skiing. Giving the legs a break from that and taking a walk out side instead!!

@emma-taylor wine as a bit of an issue for me as well. I have basically given up alcohol and never felt better and like @basyjames get the best sleep now.

@sarah57 welcome, it sounds like you are on the road to finding the healthiest you!

Day 4 – Ireland – NFD

It’s a lovely day here, only a hint of a breeze down at the beach & got a really nice walk in. I hope your all getting a break from the wind & rain too

Day 4, md US, FD

@BassyJames I aspire to do your WF’s! Pretty cool. Not feeling well today, must have what our DS has, and we have an upcoming trip on Friday, which I’m now second guessing. I don’t want to be that person on the plane with a kid coughing and quarantined in TX! Lol. Fast day today, so far so good.

Day 4 USA (Illinois) NFD

Had a very good 540 calorie day yesterday – scale was nice this morning too.

@lilymartin – you sure do work long days. Maybe you ought to just enjoy those farewell parties!

@penz – it can be really hard to keep at it, but be stubborn! (That’s what my DH says of me… Stubborn Swede – my dad was all Swedish.) But truly, there’s no way to do this WOL without staying with it. Yes, this is one terrific forum.

@sarah57 – 160 is my maintenance weight. For me it’s a BMI right at 25, and at age 71, that’s okay.

@brightonbelle – have a terrific time in Rome!

Onward and downward.

Day 4 UK NFD
    Hello everyone. It was my first FD yesterday and I was really pleased with how well it went. Reading all your messages was helpful and kept me motivated. I wasn’t hungry and didn’t crave food. I drank plenty of water,which was a very useful tip.

Day 5, NFD, Aus

I usually do FDs on Thursdays but of course we’re going out for a wine tasting tonight (on a school night!) and I’m not passing that up! But, in the spirit of mindfulness (if not dry til Fri) I’m posting and checking in. @Ihatelettuce – I’m the same – coffee, emails, forum! (Tho only during the working week – have not yet incorporated that into my weekend routine.)

A good night’s sleep is so important. Dunno if it’s “that” age for me, but I have been sleeping so badly lately, waking up around 2am and dozing until I get out of bed at 6. I have tried magnesium oil, cashews and all the other great tips from this forum, but nothing seemed to work. And I know that if I sleep badly, I then make bad food choices the next day in an effort to stay awake! However, the last two nights I had a fabulous and full night’s sleep. Maybe because it’s been raining, and I love the sound of rain on our tin roof? And I feel fabulous and in control. Happy days.

@betsylee – I think YOUR career sounds just as interesting and fascinating as @ccco’s. What a complete change in direction your career path took you!

Thanks for the reminder re toilet squats – I’m back at ‘em!

Day 5, 9.40 am Tasmania, Australia, FD.
    I am happy to report I slept like a log last night, after rubbing magnesium oil into my feet before I fell into bed. I used to do this a couple of years ago but then stopped when I bought expensive organic cotton bedding. I made sure I didn’t nod off during the evening by faffing about on my laptop instead of watching tv. I also made sure I ate a little extra protein last night to fill me up, after playing golf. What a lovely sleep it was & I woke to steady rain, which is much needed here.
    My stomach is really rumbling, but that’s ok. Be quiet dragon!
    Today’s pocket list-
    @cateaus

Day 4 UK NFD

Yesterday’s eating was fine, plenty of water, not enough sleep. Today I was weary & a bit spaced out, feeling a ibt thinner but weighing the same. Something is happening on the inside!

Had two sets of bad news first thing and spent the day not feeling quite present. Got thru 6 hrs in town including a difficult conversation without giving in to temptation. Small progress!

Sorry I’ve been rather a ghost host today – I’ll catch up with posts tomorrow.

“Spring work is going on with joyful enthusiasm” (John Muir)

Day 5 country West Australia attempted FD
    Had to cope with a 1 kg RISE on the scales today but will wait til Saturday to weigh and record. It was at about this point a few years ago that I got sit of inhabiting the plateau and gave up doing 5:2 mindfully.
    But 2 years on and I am going to try to do a FD today. Trouble is we’re going out to dinner this evening for a World Day of Prayer evening with food from Zimbabwe which I plan to sample.
    Mindful mindful mindful.
    Good to see many ‘ old hands’ back her. Seems as if we have the same / similar issues.

I think carbs are my downfall😰
    I never met a carb I didn’t ‘t love…
    But trying to really get a handle on eating patterns and what affects me. I was doing really well but had 3 days which were a bit heavy on the carbs – and up go the scales 🙄
    Will try to lessen the carb load and see what happens.
    @songbirdme, the long days don’t happen too often thank goodness but they do try me out when we do have them….
    @helen285, well done on your FD
    @penz, glad you’re back.🙃
    @basyjames, I admire you and others who can do extended WFs. I can’t even really do a 24 hour fast without food. I have tried for many years with various charity fasts before attempting to live the 5:2 WOL and every time by about 18 hours I have THE most horrendous migraine.
    Even with 5:2 I have to try to eat something small and that’s the problem as most people find. Once you start to eat even a morsel the leptin and ghrelin dragons are on the prowl and vey difficult to contain.
    Still a work in progress…
    Happy day and hope no-one gets the dreaded coronavirus.
    @cavanya, fingers crossed for you, your DS and your trip 🤞

Day 5, Tas Australia, FD
    @michelinme- I’m sorry you had a tough day, but kudos to you for not “comfort eating”. We all know that doesn’t work, but it isn’t always easy not to.
    @lilymartin- Carbs are my downfall too. I steer well clear on FDs & really limit starchy carbs on NFDs. Good luck tonight.
    Today’s pocket list-
    @cateaus
    @lilymartin

Day 5 Melb Aust CD

Haven’t eaten yet today, and it’s already after 3 p.m., because I still don’t feel hungry, but I’m going to ensure I have at least 1200 cals, then a FD tomorrow again before my Saturday weigh-in. It’s good not to want to eat, as it may help me shift off the dreaded plateau.

@michelinme, sorry to read of your challenging day yesterday, but as @cateaus said, well done for not succumbing to comfort eating.

@lilymartin, good luck with avoiding temptation with the food from Zimbabwe. My Nigerian friend makes awesome Nigerian-style donuts, yum, can’t say “no” to them.

@penz, yes, I had a total change of career direction because I wanted to live and work in China, and it wasn’t possible to go there as a bachelor-degree level scientist, so I had to go as an English teacher. Discovered that I was a good teacher and really loved it, so continued in that upon my return home 11 years later.

@songbirdme, felt so wistful reading that 160 lbs was a BMI of 25 for you. I’m only 154 cms tall (just over 5 ft) so have to lose a lot more to reach a “normal” BMI range. Incidentally, just to maybe stir you out of your comfort zone 🙂 – are you sure you haven’t shrunk a little in the past few years? I’ve gone down about 2 cms, so about 0.8 inches. Sigh! And that’s moved my weight goal even lower. Ah well, we survive these things!

Onward and downwards everyone!

Day 5 Sussex UK NFD

Yesterday’s FD went well or at least passed uneventfully. Feeling good. I must be mindful today as NFDs can easily run away with me. Very unusually for me planning on a third FD tomorrow as have several of food based events coming up over the weekend.

@bellyblast, thank you for the welcome.

@suki2 we go down to the Minervois in the South, about 40 mins from the Med. though near to several good swimming lakes and rivers, not that there will be much of that in April. I love the oysters and landscape in Southern Brittany. I guess you plan to drive over. We do Newhaven/Dieppe mostly as we’re only 30 mins from Newhaven. Haven’t quite got to grips with the food and wine challenges France presents. Interested to read where you’re based as I was born in Oxford.

@songbirdme 160 gives me a bmi of 23. It’s my happy weight. I just need to get there again and this time maintain it long term.

Day 5 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD
    2nd B2B

Not a bad FD yesterday, soup for dinner on these cold (but Spring-like) yesterday does the job. I find if I may it spicy with extra chilli etc the added bonus of clearing stuffy sinuses really helps. I am aiming for a modest 1-2lb drop per week but anything will be welcome.

I weigh in on Friday, compare that to last week (weekend always brings me up) then I will see if it works. It has to. Running out of options!! Dry till Fri is working really well right now too. I am really looking forward to my wine tomorrow evening, but really enjoy (the next day) the feeling of not drinking too 🤔

Yesterday was what we call in Ireland a “pet” day…..sun shining with a bit of warmth in the afternoon, spring flowers blooming, fresh scent in the air, birds building nests.

I came across two crows having a joyous bath in a big puddle by the side of the road. They looked like they were having a great time. Give them a beach ball and they could have been on the beach having fun 😆

Yesterday’s pocket list shenanigans was funny. Will it be the same today 😀

Pocket list Day 5
    @cateaus
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010

Day 5 UK CD

Planning to fast till dinner then going out with “the girls” . There will be 9 of us in total for dinner. Have checked out the menu and planning on the grilled salmon or chicken Caesar salad with dressing on the side. Will be driving so no alcohol temptation ( or calories) . That should come in under 800 calories I’d have thought.
    Going into work this afternoon so having a very rare late lie in catching up on all the posts! Talking of BMI, Mine was 23.4 today which I feel is still too high for me from the fact that I am still almost 9 pounds heavier than my”happy weight” . I think body frame size has a lot to do with how we feel we look at any given weight…. that and the fat still clinging to my bones!!
    Good luck to everyone today… happy fasting…

Day 5 – Lake District UK – FD

Good morning everyone

What a fabulous morning again, another fabulous morning, sun shining not a cloud in the sky! @daffodil2010 – sounds like you had a great day yesterday as well as us, just love some of the sayings from Ireland, our DIL comes from across the water she comes out with some crackers! Going to make the most of the day and get another decent walk in today and more gardening, joys of retirement.

@bellyblast – Think I’ve mentioned it before, but love the idea of xc skiing, I get the impression the technique might take a bit of getting used to? I might be stood on the spot, skis sliding backward and forward like someone on a machine in a gym, but not going anywhere!

Going for B2Bx4 today, feeling very positive, pre weigh in day tomorrow, like @daffodil2010, if I can manage 1 lb a week I would be a very happy man (although DD2010 is not a man, but you know what I mean!)

Take care all,

Pocket list Day 5
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @cateaus
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010

Day 5 – UK – NFD

Good Morning

I had a good on point day yesterday. Today is a NFD but I still choose to count calories. I need to keep below 1200, preferably 1000 due to petite size, restricted exercise and thyroid issues. It’s so difficult to lose!

Mid week weigh in suggests I’m down a couple of lbs to 145lbs, which to many people isn’t a lot. For me it’s significant and I hope it sticks. I dearly want to reduce my BMI of 28.2 and reduced my waist size.

Take care.

Day 1-NGR-FD

Just joining in.

Q- Are my fast days 800 or 500 calories?

Day 5, London, UK, FD
    Yesterday’s NFD went well although I forgot to actually bolt the kitchen door and went 2-300cals over TDEE …………….. I’m treating that as a learning event!!!

@emma-taylor, when I look back and see myself saying to family members & friends “I’m fasting today” whilst polishing my halo with the smug smile fixed in place I have a ‘Doh!!!’ moment!!! So, your fasting? …………. Yes! ……………….. but you’re gaining weight? ………………. Well, yes, but ………………… but WHAT??? ………………………. But, I’m also doing that ostrich thing!!!!! ……………*^#@%$!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something I borrowed from another thread ………………………“several years of 5:2 have persuaded me that losing weight is not difficult, so I got too casual. Time to start again!” ……………………….…….. and very apt it is too!!!!

@basyjames, you’re up there with @dykask with jaw dropping WFDs!!! I can do a LF at a push, I MUST have tea, coffee, bone broth & miso to survive!!! I’m glad the WFDs work for you, the ACV has been a revelation, I haven’t had to change bedsheets for weeks!!! ……………………….. Well, you know what I mean!!!!

@suki2, the beans & pulses thread is very good, I haven’t contributed, but I made a lovely dahl recipe someone posted!!

@songbirdme, like you I don’t intend to lose so much weight that the wrinkles start to show!! I’ve seen your pictures, 160lbs looks good on you!!!

@helen285, you’ve found the key!!! Water is your ONLY friend on a FD ………………………….. that is, apart from all of us here!!

@penz, I got into the habit of self medicating (2-3 glasses of wine!!) just to ensure a good nights sleep, I was soooo exhausted from night sweats, changing sheets and doing the duvet on- duvet off dance throughout the night. Perhaps warm almond milk with cinnamon, an Epsom salt bath or some meditation would help you. I swear by MO, so now my routine includes MO on the soles of my feet and a class of water with ACV – the cashews may have been a placebo so I could excuse eating handfuls of those calorific crescents!!
    I still make my own MO since it’s my deodorant & sleep aid, so for anyone interested,
    https://wellnessmama.com/5804/make-your-own-magnesium-oil/

@lilymartin, we’re walking the same path ……………… I don’t have to explain ……………. My handle says it all!!!I too have never met a carb I didn’t fall instantly in love with ………………….. combine it with fat (cake, bread & butter, cheese toastie, biscuits yada, yada, yada) & I’m a gonner!!!!

@michelinme, hang in there, we’ve got you. Don’t fret about hosting either as much as I love your input, there’re lots of us here to respond to questions.

@i-hate-lettuce, nice visual of you skiing!!!

@olabimpe, welcome to this month’s challenge, have a read of the opening post to get the gist of how this works. As for your FDs, the original 5:2 plan was for women to have 500cals on FDs, but Dr. M has revised this to take into account the difficulty 500cals poses for some people and said 800cals would have the same, if slightly slower, effect. So it’s all down to the individual. Good Luck!!!

This is NOT today’s pocket list, just collecting the stragglers for ‘Parched March’ (I feel soooo much better already!!!) – @flourbaby, @basyjames, @jaifaim, @emma-taylor

“I didn’t get there by wishing for it or hoping for it, but by working for it.” – Estée Lauder

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 676 total)

You must be logged in to reply.