Spreading out your calories on fast days?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Merryme 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• I’ve been on the 5:2 since the end of May and whilst I don’t weigh myself, I’ve had a few people people ask me if I’ve lost weight, so it must be working.

I started off doing it “by the book”, with that optimal 12 hour gap between eating. I found it very hard so reduced it to 10 hours or so but I was still raging by then!

I’ve recently started cycling so I guess this is contributing to me finding it difficult, plus warm weather (when we get it!).

On Fast Days, I eat once my children have gone to bed, as I don’t want to be making a big deal about being on a diet, particularly around my impressionable daughter. So by the time I’ve got them to bed, I’m proper hangry!

I don’t want to be snappy with them twice a week, so today I tried a new approach – 100 calorie breakfast of hard boiled egg, cottage cheese and a plum at 7.30 am, 100 calories of various fruit at about 2pm, then a 300 calorie lentil dhal at 8.30, amd I’ve found it much easier, although I’ve not been out cycling today.

I don’t want to put myself through ugh if I’m wasting my time by not leaving the big gap between meals. I’ve read conflicting advice on here, some saying it’s the severe calorie cut that aids weight loss and “fasting” is for other health benefits. But others say you feed to fast as it speeds up your metabolism etc.

So what’s actually true? Thanks.

The 5:2 diet is not really fasting in the true sense of the word, it is calorie restriction rather than a true fast (although some like me do a water fast on my fast days). It is the intermittent nature of the restriction which by and large prevents your metabolism from going into energy conservation mode. By restricting your food intake for 2 out of 7 days rather than spreading out that restriction over 7 days your body is less likely to go into conservation mode and slow your metabolism down. A tell tail sign is that people complain about being cold or they feel sluggish. This is your body’s way of hanging onto its fat rather than burning it.

With respect to your fast day, eating one meal is better than 2 meals is better than 3 meals is better than snacking throughout the day. Each time you eat your blood glucose will spike and this will cause a spike in insulin. A high basal insulin level means you are storing excess energy as fat rather than tapping into your fat reserves. The foods you choose also impact on your insulin levels. Fats do not affect insulin, protein slightly (whey protein a lot and that’s what they use in all those protein shakes) and simple carbs and sugar cause a big spike. Whole fruits in moderation are OK, never fruit juice or dried fruits.

Hope that helps.

Hi Tash:

Time between meals is irrelevant for weight loss. It is the calorie restriction that will cause you to lose weight. So eat whenever and as often as you want – just stay within the basic calorie guidelines for 5:2 – 500 on diet days and TDEE or less on non-diet days.

Here is more information: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Thank you for your replies, but as you can see, 2 very different replies!

Yesterday was so much easier, although not a breeze. I guess it’s more instant that I can actually get through it, rather than hating it so much that I give up. But ideally I want to exploit every bit of it so I can maximise tad results.

Not really contradictory Tash. The calorie restriction component is responsible for the vast majority of weight loss. The types of food you eat comes next and the frequency of meals per day scrapes up the last little bit of improvement. However what is important is to find a routine that works for you and is sustainable. I found that water fasting was actually easier for me than trying to eat 1/4 TDEE. Others just cant do it. Find what works for you and stick with it.

I do see a contradiction here as well.

I tend to agree with the position that the time-gap between meals is what really matters. To eat only healthy food and less quantity is a given constant – this is what every doctor tells us (for the moment let’s relax the question what healthy food actually covers, because the mainstream opinion demonising fat is a major flaw) – so the question at hand remains WHEN exactly to eat that less and healthy food?

I can’t recall exactly which expert(s) cited them, but I remember certain studies showing when certain calories/foods are eaten as many snacks spread throughout the day, or as one, two, or three meals a day, the different eating patterns yielded different impacts on weight-loss.

The research underlying intermittent fasting is the evidence that the mainstream advice ‘reduce calories and exercise more’ does not help, to the contrary, it yields an adverse effect on weight-loss, since it reduces the metabolic rate.

This is exactly why the very idea of intermittent fasting was introduced in the first place and this is why IF (or fasting as such) is the only kind of diet that actually works for those who can’t see results via mere calorie-reduction.

I think the point in this context is the fact that on fast days the allowed 500/600 kcal is such a small amount of food that it counts as “no eating at all” hence it does not really matter when you eat it. On non-fast days however, for weight-loss purpos at least, the 1, 2 or 3 meals a day is better than snacking. In my experience one meal in the evening is the most effective.

I have found the respective part in Dr. Mosley’s Fast Diet book referencing a research that compared the weight-loss effect of eating the same kind and amount of food (and obviously same number of calories) as 2 meals or 6 meals. The former yielded significantly more weight loss. See page 13, “Science of Fasting”

The whole idea of IF seems to be introducing a special (more doable) way of fasting rather than just reducing calories in some way. The aim is to introduce an eating pattern that mimics our ancient/natural eating habits, and which leaves enough space between 2 meals in order to obtain the benefits of fasting itself. The longer the periods without food-intake the more time is given to the body to rest without any insulin-spikes, to burn the waste, to improve overall hormone performance, etc.

To answer your question Tash, imo it does not matter when you eat, as long as you keep the calorie limits and the 5:2 schedule brings you the desired weight-loss and/or health benefits. However, if you don’t lose (enough) weight, or you wish to achieve more health benefits that come only from fasting, it can help if you increase the time between your meals and you eat the given foods/calories as less frequent meals. This has been my experience and research confirms it as well.

Thank you. I do agree that the fasting element must be fairly instant, otherwise it wouldn’t be the Fast Diet! But equally, having something you can stick to is essential. I’ve made it nearly 2 months with 10-8 hours between 2 meals on a fast day, so I can do it, but I was waking on those days with a sense of dread and getting so arsey with my children by the end of a fast day! It’s also hard now I’m cycling everywhere and plan to join a gym next week. Maybe I’ll do one day hardcore style and the other with fresh fruit/veg in the middle!

Hi all. I’m new to this diet… My plan was to only drink tea with milk throuout the whole day, so that all my 500 cals that day, comes from milk (in the tea). It means that every time I get hungry, I drink a cup of tea. Does that even come close to the point of the diet?

Hi Penny, I absolutely love the idea that you brought up.

The other day I ended up with a sort of “milk-fast”, since most of my calorie intake on a recent fast day came from the whole milk that I added to my coffee(s). Then I started wondering if there is such a thing as “milk-fast”, since milk is one of the very best sources of nutrition.

(Note: Based on my research and experience, whole milk is better for fasting than skim milk because even though it is higher in calories, the fat-content reduces the insulin-spike caused by the animal-source protein in the milk.)

Any thoughts on eating pickles between meal? I eat breakfast at around 9am then dinner around 7pm. At around 4-5pm I get so hungry so I have a pickle or two and that helps. They are about 5 Cals each.

What happens if as a woman I have 600 or 550 calories? Why is 500 the magic number?
    And suggestions of what to do if you ca’t sleep due to hunger?

I think you have to do what works for you. If strict fasting leaves you irritated with the world, and that makes you unhappy, you’re unlikely to stay with the program. Personally, I couldn’t do it, so I embrace the caloric restriction. I eat three meals, and a snack if I’m at my wits’ ends. Typically I’m having plain yogurt or similar, with a bit of fruit, for breakfast, something high in protein and veg for lunch, and a small serving of protein with two veg for dinner. If I get stabby, I sip some tea or coffee and have a low-calorie, wholegrain cracker. But I’m very new to this and don’t want to put myself off it by insisting on perfection: don’t let perfect become the enemy of good.
    500 is the general goal for women because that’s 25 percent of the calorie recommendation. I used the calculator to get my precise number, which is just under 600. It made me feel better to have confirmation of what I’d been thinking: the average woman they used was much smaller and thinner than me.

Hi Tash,

Remember each of us here is an individual working within what works for us with our personal medical profile, eating style, and lifestyle; we come from all over the world, and none of us are experts as intermittent fasting (IF) is in it’s infancy.

When people come onto the forum they have learnt about IF, many never been on a forum before, and then it can be confusing for people who are totally new to 5:2. 5:2 is one variation of IF, formulated to make IF more do-able by the average person. Other versions of IF all work but are not as do-able by the average person. 5:2 and IF in general works. It normalises weight and improves our health by the effect of the variation of days with calories and days with no or very low calories. As stated, 5:2 is 2 non-consecutive days of fasting. The people on the forum vary greatly. Some are doing straight 5:2 as promoted by Dr M. The forum is not one where the philosophy and moderator is very strict about people only talking about straight 5:2. For various reasons there are people on here doing IF in various ways 5:2, 4:3, alternate day fasting, water fasting on fast days. There are also people who choose to do consecutive fast days(FDs) and multi day fasting for various reasons, that are not 5:2 but allowed on this forum. This is a very encouraging forum where people behave well and support new people and long term ears alike. Many of us have decided to do 5:2 for life because it has been so beneficial to us. We’re also a group of people who have struggled with weight long term, tried various things and finally found what works healthily and actually works. That can make us very gung-ho and enthusiastic about what’s worked for us.

People do IF for various reasons – some weight, some health, some weight and health, but remember each of us is an individual. We know now that what works for 1 person doesn’t work for everyone. There are general patterns where we see groups of people who respond in certain ways e.g. There is a large group of people who find FDs work best for them if they have 2 meals -breakfast and dinner. There is also a large group who have a phenomena we call on here “waking the hunger dragon”, where whatever time in the day they first eat anything their hunger wakes up with a rage. They work best putting off eating. The 2 meal group don’t seem to get this, and. can feel nauseous if they don’t have breakfast however small. The Hunger Dragon Group usually have 1 meal in the evening. Some of them elect to not eat at all on FDs and you will see talk of fluid only or water only fasts.

500/600 calories is a 1/4 of average daily calories of 2000/2400 calories respectively for males/females. We’re not all average. If you’ve read the 5:2 book you’ll see that Dr Mosely gives the 5:2 guidelines as <500/600 cals or <1/4 of your TDEE. There is a calculator on here to work out your TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure. 1/4 of your daily TDEE is more accurate for an individual than the average of 500 cals. Whichever you use, 5:2 will work, as the cals are very restricted on your 2FDs. I strongly suggest you stick to the basic 5:2 guidelines to begin with for a couple of months. Learn the basics first, then you will have some experience of how you personally react and can, if you wish, to start varying things according to your personal goals and circumstances. You’ve already discovered that leaving all your food to the end of the day doesn’t work well for you and your lifestyle needs. Stick to what you’ve worked out works for you on FDs. Have your calories in whatever food and fluids works for you. What it is doesn’t matter so much at this point. You will find you start thinking about food differently and on your nonFDs you will start making healthier choices.

The are also people who are on 5:2 who are here for medical reasons, one of which is high blood sugar, so you will see talk about that more than some other less common medical things. It’s all good. Another group, but certainly not all, find that grains and starchy carbohydrates are very detrimental to their weight loss. I’m one of those and need to compensate with extra B vitamin supplement. We’re also not perfect. Most people still have birthday cake, Christmas, Eid, whatever is their lifestle’s celebrations. 5:2 teaches us how to handle those things over time.

Remember, this is about you, and what works for you. It needs to be sustainable. I suggest, if you haven’t already, read the info for newbies by simcoeluv. It is excellent. Sorry I can’t put the link in, but simcoeluv often turns up on newbie threads to give the link, or you can put info for newbies in the search box.

Congratulations on already working out some of how you react and adjusting accordingly. Some people would have given up, but you didn’t. Well done!

Best wishes to you,
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry,
    (Nearly 2 yrs on 5:2, 19kgs down and nearly at maintenance, 5:2 tortoise because of health issue, but on it for life)

LOL. I see simcoeluv has already visited here. An excellent 5:2 overview that also helped me a lot when I was first on the forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.